Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Triathlone

Options
  • 27-06-2010 12:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭

Whats the deal with the triathlone? will the whole town have the roads blocked or what? Should be a good weekend though plenty of people about id say

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

athlonelad wrote: »
    Whats the deal with the triathlone? will the whole town have the roads blocked or what? Should be a good weekend though plenty of people about id say

Probably , they block me into my houdse , loada ****e i couldnt care less about it tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭morrowa64

causes fcuking chaos in the town for the whole weekend...roads blocked from 6am onwards all around...i cant even drive out of my estate for 3 days...remind me again why we pay car tax??????

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭athlonelad

why 6am? surely the events dont stat till way later? what time do they open the roads again at night?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭BoB_BoT

Ah lads, I know it's hassle when the roads are blocked off. Can't get out of my terrace either. But it's only 3 days, it's a good vibe in the town, despite it not bringing in as much money as they claim.

The Euro-Festival the following week should be good craic though :D

athlonelad, it's the roads around the route that are closed off. There's nothing on the athlone.ie site about road closures or even the county council site, but if you go to the triathlone.com site, you can see the route and guess from there :P

sorry my bad, there is info on road closures on athlone.ie clicky

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

Its good for the hotels and pubs but thats about it.
    Some shops have to close for 2 days so they loose a weekends business while being told that its good for business the town.
    I dont live in town and rarely venture in that direction so it wont really affect me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭martin1

Jeeeez..........what a crowd of bloody whingers

martin1 wrote: »
    Jeeeez..........what a crowd of bloody whingers

Do you get blocked into your house?

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭martin1

no.................but whoever came up with the idea of blocking bloody whingers into their houses for the weekend should get a medal.........................here here

bah, made a mistake, the Euro-Festival isn't the week after the Tri-Athlone, it's the end of July :P

martin1 wrote: »
    no.................but whoever came up with the idea of blocking bloody whingers into their houses for the weekend should get a medal.........................here here

shut up will ya , what a stupid statement to make.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭boredatwork82

What does the Euro Festival entail Bob Bot?
    Crepes & Beer....mmm..... is there anything else that one would want at a Euro-Festival other than some delights from Amsterdam. Maybe they could set up a legal red light district for the weekend!
    As for the Triathlon, It puts the town on the map and creates a positive image, but it is also a hindrance to people who have to live and work around it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Im_No_Superman

Do you think there is any chance of getting to Galway for 11am on Saturday and Sunday? Ill be leaving from Crannagh on the old galway road.

hey boredatwork, the Euro Festival is more of an arts and culture orientated dealy :) Actually, I don't know if they have food stands or anything like that, there is a Euro Village, not entirely sure what that is, will ask one of the lads involved. Full details of the weeks events are here http://www.eurofestival.ie/index.php?s=festival-programme

Do you think there is any chance of getting to Galway for 11am on Saturday and Sunday? Ill be leaving from Crannagh on the old galway road.

That road seems to be closed form 7am-11.30am on Saturday, so I'm gonna say no. Although, I'm not 100% sure where Crannagh is, best bet is to drive out towards the route and look for road closure signs, see is there a way around it.

BoB_BoT wrote: »
    ... there is a Euro Village ...

First we had a €2 Shop ... and now a Euro Village!!!! :D

Saint_Mel wrote: »
    First we had a €2 Shop ... and now a Euro Village!!!! :D

haha good man ash

I may have overlooked something, but pretty sure these times weren't on the site. Says the roads are closed off from 1.30pm on Saturday. So you should be ok to get out in the morning.

http://www.athlone.ie/council-notices/triathlone-2010-road-closures

its gonna be total gridlock man!! im staying in the pub for the weekend!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRE2eIdYRtY&feature=related

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Oh_Noes

Probably , they block me into my houdse , loada ****e i couldnt care less about it tbh.

What roads do they close off? And for how long will they be closing them?

*Edit* Just read the post two above, nvm.

sure get out the auld raleigh max with the flashy bull bars and do a bit of cycling yourselves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Any way you measure it - this is a good thing for the town. Its a european event and they choose athlone for it. It brings people to te town and despite how much they spend its more than if they never came.

Good for hotels and b and b's yes, but these people provide jobs..

Try and look over at the bigger picture.. yes, im blocked into my house, but .. the mad suggestion of perhaps walking to where you want to go or parking outide the blocked area and walking to your car may sound dafy, but its only for 3 days, and this event is good for the town, particularly with the times thats in it

Saw a lad with a Ukraine tracksuit walking through town this morning carrying 2 bicycle wheels. Wonder was the rest of the bike nicked :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Saint_Mel wrote: »
    Saw a lad with a Ukraine tracksuit walking through town this morning carrying 2 bicycle wheels. Wonder was the rest of the bike nicked :D

Welcome to Athlone

hahahah deadly.

what did everyone think of the event? fairly well organised anyways. they could of put up a few posters round the town letting people know what times the events were on at etc. I had to go to the bother of looking up their website but other than that I think it was great for the town. Next years wont have all the european athletes so it wont be as big i Hear

• Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭T Corolla

I thought it was great to see something of this popularity coming to the midlands. I hope it will bring in more major events into Athlone as it is a nice town with potential.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭tubos

The paper was reporting that it may not have a future as a lot of the investors lost out financially.

I actually prefer last years format, the 1 day event, on a Saturday. I like to watch the average Joe athletes, as you get to see a lot more over the course of the day, and as it was on a thursday this year so I didn't get to see any of them!

i dont think any of it was on the thursday. the saturday night out was good but sunday was shi*e. they are talking about holding it over a bank holiday weekend next year which makes sense i guess

but next year, will it not be back to the 1 day event?

• Advertisement

I presume it will be as I dont think they will have european elite thing again. I just remember reading something in the paper about some councillor saying it would be better if it was on a bank holiday weekend. Good to see in the town anyways whether its a bigger or smaller event its impotant that the town holds on to this event. Anyone know much about this european music festival?

Advertisement