Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strawberry runners

Options
  • 27-06-2010 1:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭

This is my first year growing strawberries and I have had a nice few juicy strawberries from my few plants. My question is, what to do with the runners that are sprouting out from the plants?
    They are on a single stem with a few leaf like small plants growing from the stem.
    How do I cultivate a new pant from the stem?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Skrynesaver

If they are planted in soil the runners will root themselves, otherwise you can put a yoghurt pot with compost under the new plant and hold it into the compost with a bent twig, it will root in and the runner will wither.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

If you don't want to pot up new plants, cut off all runners. If you do, then as Skrynesaver said, pot up the little plantlets in small pots.
    If you have several plants, the best way I've found is to pot up the plantlet closest to the mother plant and cut off the runner beyond that point. Do this with all the other plants and cut off all other runners. This makes sure all the energy from the mother plant goes into producing strong offshoots. Make sure also that the mother plant is healthy as any problems will transfer to the young plant.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Prenderb

Do you reckon it's a good idea to cut the runner as you pot the plantlet, or to leave this until the plantlet is established?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

Prenderb wrote: »
    Do you reckon it's a good idea to cut the runner as you pot the plantlet, or to leave this until the plantlet is established?

In case I didn't make it clear, (been doing that a lot lately) when I say cut the runner beyond that point, I mean on the side away from the mother plant. You should leave the runner attached to the mother plant until the plantlet has rooted.
    Thanks for pointing that out Prenderb, could have been embarrassing. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

I have my plants in hanging baskets and the runners are heading towards the ground, anyone any ideas how to plant them while hanging?

• Advertisement
Advertisement