Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anti-Americanism in Ireland

• 27-06-2010 5:07am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

Being Irish-American born in the US to Irish parents this is my point of view on the avid anti-American stance in Ireland.

I find it quite funny and hilariously sad the severe Anti-American stance in Ireland. Some people I meet in Ireland have some sort of hatred towards the States. For what reason, I can't comprehend. It makes no sense at all the fact that a lot of Irish people seem to think it's okay to hate America.

It makes no sense at all. Any Anti-American topic on here seems to go down well, but any topic regarding any any-British content seems to be a taboo subject for you guys.

I can't get my head around this fact that you hate us more than you hate the British. We have been the most accepting country of Irish immigrants, we are the country who love the Irish, yet we're hated.

We have never tried to colonize your country, obviously, yet the Anti-American bias holds stronger than the anti-British bias over here. That point is merely a comparison between ourselves and the British.

Can somebody shed some light on this for me? Why are Americans hated over here?

Any great reasons?

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,440 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

Osu wrote: »
    Being Irish-American born in the US to Irish parents this is my point of view on the avid anti-American stance in Ireland.

I find it quite funny and hilariously sad the severe Anti-American stance in Ireland. Some people I meet in Ireland have some sort of hatred towards the States. For what reason, I can't comprehend. It makes no sense at all the fact that a lot of Irish people seem to think it's okay to hate America.

It makes no sense at all. Any Anti-American topic on here seems to go down well, but any topic regarding any any-British content seems to be a taboo subject for you guys.

I can't get my head around this fact that you hate us more than you hate the British. We have been the most accepting country of Irish immigrants, we are the country who love the Irish, yet we're hated.

We have never tried to colonize your country, obviously, yet the Anti-American bias holds stronger than the anti-British bias over here. That point is merely a comparison between ourselves and the British.

Any great reasons?

Coz you're American...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

F1ngers wrote: »
    Coz you're American...

And you're a 42 year old gamer... Anything else out of the obvious you would like to point out?

Damn Yanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 214 ✭✭donfarrell

I think its just because americans (well the ones I've come across) are amazingly stupid. One american asked me "whats it like being british?" another one was beside the dail and was pronouncing Taoiseach wrong and I corrected him and he said "no, I think im right". Idots really

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

It's Dubya and the notion that Americans are dumb just because a lot of dumb stuff is reported from there. But I haven't observed it to be as widespread here as you say, OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

I like america. I haven't met any Irish person in my life who has any real animosity towards americans or america. People can just be dicks on a forum.

• Advertisement

donfarrell wrote: »
    I think its just because americans (well the ones I've come across) are amazingly stupid. One american asked me "whats it like being british?" another one was beside the dail and was pronouncing Taoiseach wrong and I corrected him and he said "no, I think im right". Idots really

well I was in america and a girl I was talking to asked me did they have indoor toilets in the houses in Ireland because she heard they didnt. Either she was taking the piss and an excellent wind up merchant or she was a moron. She was a little ride though, so I forgave her.

But there's 250 million americans, there are bound to be a fair few dumbasses. Think of all the irish morons you've met, and there are only 4 million Irish. I'd say its about even on the idiot stakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭Athlone_Bhoy

I doubt bombing the **** out of other countries has anything to do with it :)
    bad2dabone wrote: »
    and there are only 4 million Irish. I'd say its about even on the idiot stakes.

Is that in just America or Australia?

I doubt bombing the **** out of other countries has anything to do with it :)
    Well it shouldn't in fairness, unless all Americans support the Iraq invasion, which all don't of course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

I don't hate the yanks.

But I don't trust people from the Russian region, though. Suspicious folk :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭JaneLane

Every country hates America.

• Advertisement

JaneLane wrote: »

so here you see my earlier point proved - there are just as many stupid people in Ireland as there are in america (per capita). We're only a few posts in and we've found our first one!

JaneLane wrote: »
    That's true. OP, stop discriminating against the Irish!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

I like the Americans, but I also like taking the piss out of the Americans.
    They're an easy target.:P

Here is an example of stupidity from America (not using it as proof that all Americans are stupid btw, just wanted to paste it):

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/infotech/internet/Facebook-picture-of-baby-with-bong-triggers-outrage-probe/articleshow/6096080.cms

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Gyalist

The self-appointed "leader of the free world" always seems so hypersensitive about any form of criticism.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭R.D. aka MR.D

Well I can only speak for myself but as a graduate of Trinity college I would have to say that any venom I have for North American English speakers comes purely from their stupidity and inability to walk at normal human pace.

Ah i do miss hearing them coming out with hilarious things! :rolleyes:

Saying that I'm not anti-U.S.A in any way, except all that stuff their government does to **** up other countries.

I'm currently living in South America so well...try defending that one!

Don't get me wrong i have lots of dear friends from the U.S and some of my favourite authors are from there too.

but yeah...such an easy target.... maybe try stop exporting idiots in bun bags?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,652 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Maybe people don't like a country that goes around the rest of the world, doing whatever it wants with complete disregard for human life, all in the name of oil?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Killer Pigeon

Any great reasons?

I do not agree that the Irish have more resentment towards the American people than we have for the British. Just because you read it here on boards doesn't mean it's actually true. The United States has been very good to Ireland over the decades, mainly, as you well know yourself, because of the cultural and family ties. I suppose historically we cannot find huge reasons to hate the United States based on Irish-American relations (Apart from the maltreatment of the Irish because of their religious beliefs when they were integrating into American society during the 19th century).

We do, however, have historical reasons to hate the British (700 years worth actually plus disagreement with Britain's policies in Northern Ireland). This seemingly hereditary hatred of the British (especially the English) will probably remain in the Irish psyche for the next hundred years or so but history can never really be denied I think.

'Anti-Americanism' has only really developed in the last 15 years. I suppose the main reasons it developed are because a lot of Americans come across as ignorant and arrogant (thinking that they are always better than everyone else) and the foreign policy of the United State's government, especially under Bush. The invasion of Iraq and Afghanistan really did tarnish public opinion of the United States mainly because of opposition of the invasions (especially Iraq). This condemnation existed in many other parts of Europe, not just in Ireland. The United States also sees itself as 'leader of the free world' which really doesn't go down well in Europe and also the fact that they act as though they are a 'global police force'. I would go so far as saying that American foreign policy is almost like a modern form of imperialism, again another source of resentment.

The arrogance and ignorance I mentioned exists and is quite obvious when talking to some Americans,to a large extent on the internet but sometimes in public too. A lot of Americans seem to be very assertive and too outspoken. When I'm on youtube and other international internet forums Americans seem to make preliminary assumptions that your views are in reference to the United States. For example, I was watching a documentary (not even a remotely about America) on youtube and I left a comment. Then someone replied to my comment and made reference to 'this country' instead of saying America, making a preliminary assumption that everyone watching the video was American (I knew the person was American because I read their profile).

As I said Americans come across as quite ignorant but I would not call them stupid. I just think it is their presentation and accent that make them look and sound stupid but I do not think they're in any way lacking in intelligence in comparison to other nationalities. While British people might look smart and even sound smart with their accent, I would view them as having equal intelligence as the Americans, as these videos below might show;

Well I can only speak for myself but as a graduate of Trinity college I would have to say that any venom I have for North American English speakers comes purely from their stupidity and inability to walk at normal human pace.

... as a graduate from Trinity college you probably wouldn't still be up to the mark as those Americans who graduated from Harvard, Princeton, Yale, Columbia, etc.. Remember Americans probably have some of the best third level educational faculties in the world and the fruits of these are very visible in American's contribution to the arts, sciences and engineering.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭Athlone_Bhoy

Dudess wrote: »
    Well it shouldn't in fairness, unless all Americans support the Iraq invasion, which all don't of course.

Seriously Bush was president so how stupid do Americans have to be? You can always make a reason for the first time been elected but the second?

There's a old saying in.... Oh never mind

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Some Irish people dislike Americans because they're idiots.

There we go!

USA, USA!

Seriously Bush was president so how stupid do Americans have to be? You can always make a reason for the first time been elected but the second?

There's a old saying in.... Oh never mind

I can't believe 41.6% of the Irish electorate voted for Fianna Fáil in 2007. They must have all been imbeciles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

Er he wasnt elected the first time around and theres even a bit of a question mark over the second

I'd hazard a guess that many who supposedly hate America have never been there. Fantastic country.

Anyone drive Route 1 in California? Mindblowing.

As for the dumb American thing? We have just as many idiots here, possibly more. Look at the fools running the country ffs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,674 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Mike 1972 wrote: »
    Er he wasnt elected the first time around and theres even a bit of a question mark over the second

The fact that is was even close ...

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭Caoimhín

I have no problems with the US, indeed i like all things American. Sure there are some dumb people but this is the nation that put man on the moon and have given us almost every scientific breakthrough in the past century.

Saying all Americans are stupid is about the most ignorant and uneducated statement one can make.

Didn't he have a majority of electoral votes? :confused:

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Didn't he have a majority of electoral votes? :confused:

You mean like Robert Mugabae

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭R.D. aka MR.D

... as a graduate from Trinity college you probably wouldn't still be up to the mark as those Americans who graduated from Harvard, Princeton, Yale, Columbia, etc.. Remember Americans probably have some of the best third level educational faculties in the world and the fruits of these are very visible in American's contribution to the arts, sciences and engineering.

ha. okay then. thanks.

just in case it wasn't clear (my apologies my terrible education is to blame) I was referring to the fact that Trinity is a mecca for tourists. Oh how they love it.

but thanks again, really. You are very informative.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭gerrycollins

Any great reasons?

are you talking about political anti american views or personal?

politically I can agree with some of the anti american sentiment like plance landing at shannon etc however im not fully up to speed with it so no comment.

on a personal level I have found and met loads of americans who give your county a bad name with their stupidity etc why let them leave your country they are a bad ambassadors

I was working as a waiter and had a gang in, middle aged husbands and wives etc. so asked them where they were from and they replied "indinapolis" and i said "oh the indy 500" and they starting cheering and stuff saying we didnt think anyone in Ireland would know so what ever about anti american view we have you guys have the same about us

You mean like Robert Mugabae

Do you know how the American voting system works?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

Yes my granny hates them aswell, she basically hates everyone i like.

Do you know how the American voting system works?

It doesnt !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I always lol at those vids but sure a bit of editing and asking the right people will get you the laughs.
    I like America but hate American politics. It's nice to visit but I wouldn't live there.

Most Yanks are loud, gung-ho, a bit ignorant but mostly friendly - from my experience.
    I'm sure if you made a few of those vids in China you'd get similar answers, but then they don't go around meddling with everyone else/trying to run the world.

It doesnt !

I agree there but that's what's in place. Ridiculous system tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Jay D

Any great reasons?
    How about the fact that your country re-elected who I and many others deem to be the most evil corrupt bastard we've saw in recent years. That's one reason anyway.

personally I don't really care though, I have a lot of friends from there.

biko wrote: »

I'm sure if you made a few of those vids in China you'd get similar answers, but then they don't go around meddling with everyone else/trying to run the world.

Not yet :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭Kev_ps3

Any great reasons?

boards.ie After Hours does not reflect Irish society in the slightest. This place is full of west-brits so naturally will be pro-English. The anti-American thing comes from how America acts around the world, like the imperial British.

Jay D wrote: »
    How about the fact that your country re-elected who I and many others deem to be the most evil corrupt bastard we've saw in recent years.

this guy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

Personally I like Americans, but I can suppose it's because the Irish people don't get the American "energy" and their attitude to life - I know a lot of Irish people who describe American people generally as too happy or too hyper

Another reason could also be politics and heritage - a lot of American people claim right over Ireland through heritage connections, they tell you at the first opportunity when you meet them that they are Irish as well because their great great grandmother survived the Titanic and was originally from Kilkenny....personally, I did get sick of that when I visited your country

Politics wise, many don't like your political figures, and that has been the case for many years - there was a backlash when Bill Clinton tried to sort out Northern Ireland because his family was traditionally from Fermanagh...there were other reasons he did it, but the fact Northern Ireland was such a big deal for the US pissed a lot of people off, especially when our government didn't have as much enthusiasm. I for one support Clinton's efforts for peace. Many others don't.

I've been to California and New York. I've visited cities like LA and San Francisco, San Diego and Santa Barbara (the last one is not a city, but I was there)

The fact is I like America, and I like it's people, but many Irish just do not because the Americans have a different way of looking at life compared to us

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭rugbyman

Osu,
    quite a few people have written on here about how stupid many Americans are. I do not know why, as you made no reference to stupidity. If stupidity were an issue ,even then it would not be a reason to "hate" or even dislike a Country.

One poster pointed out that the anti US thing is at most 15 years old.

I agree with the 15 years bit but I doubt very much that any anti US stuff in this country is shared by more than a tiny ,but vocal minority, usually involving tree huggers,anti war types,and wallys. Among these will be quite a few well spoken ,well read types which they feel exempts them from my earlier description.

One poster spoke of using airports for war usage(my words). OUR govt made them available so that is not an issue.

Another spoke of the US seeing itself as a global policeman, I disagree but I think the" free world" does see the US as being their global policeman.

The anti British stuff ( I rarely see hatred) is dying as the education of our citizens has evolved. Our young ,for the last 25 years or more have not had it fed into them.

Regards, Rugbyman

Kev_ps3 wrote: »
    boards.ie After Hours does not reflect Irish society in the slightest. This place is full of west-brits so naturally will be pro-English. The anti-American thing comes from how America acts around the world, like the imperial British.

It's full of people with chips on their shoulders

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

yeah, if you can afford them. more money=better person?

I've been to America. Very friendly people. A lot of them are a little on the large side:D I think any dislike comes from a culture/personality clash tbh. They tend to be very friendly and chatty, sometimes too much so for some people, and might say a lot of things that people find moronic.

A lot of them are a little on the large side:D

That disease has spread here too! Ireland's full of fatties.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭Cheap Thrills!

Any great reasons?

I don't hate Americans but unfortunately the ones that seem to visit here don't really endear themselves with their ignorance of politics etc.

For me one of the things that bothers me is 'the War on Terror'. The fact that Dubya used the bombing of the twin towers to settle his Dads old scores in Iraq and Afrghanistan. The American Government has sent over young men to their deaths there and caused the deaths of innocents and really made no difference to the situation at all.

All they've done is increase the hatred for America worldwide with their very transparently disingenuous war. American people don't seem to have any problem with this and allow their sons be sent over to a very much unsupported 'war'

What's reported on American 'news' is so laughably skewed and non-factual propeganda its frightening, to the extent that Americans ask 'why does the world dislike us'

Then there are the two main tourist types that come here.

I dont have a problem with the first, but some people do: Seniour Citizens in green polyester trousers. Aw, they're loud but innocently harmless IMO

Its the second type I dislike. Valley girls and their Jock boyfriends, dripping in Abercrombie and expensive orthodontics, loud, obnoxious, arrogant and entitled. No self awareness or humility!

Yes, these two are cliches but they are so because there is more than a grain of truth to them!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

That disease has spread here too! Ireland's full of fatties.
    have you been to America though? There is seriously no comparison

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

I lived in SF for 2 years though and found the people to be really nice and welcoming. What I really hate is it's foreign policies, and the fact that most people are obviously either apathetic or ignorant about the atrocities carried out in their names. Not too fussed on the gun laws either but 90% of the people I met over there shared my views on that.

As for them being generally stupid, that's just not true.. I'm sure many are but it's the same everywhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

I find it quite funny and hilariously sad the severe Anti-American stance in Ireland. Some people I meet in Ireland have some sort of hatred towards the States. For what reason, I can't comprehend. It makes no sense at all the fact that a lot of Irish people seem to think it's okay to hate America

Any great reasons?

Sounds like you're being seriously over-sensitive.
    Where do you get the opinion that "a lot" of Irish hate America ?
    How many Irish people do you know personally ? (real life, not the net?)

Most forum posts are probably commenting on the American administration, the government and not on the people themselves.

A lot of your words like "sad", "severe" and "hatred" point to something personal that happened to you. Did some Irish girl reject you or something?

You see what you want to see, and if you see hate then that's probably more a reflection of your state of mind than it is of reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭plein de force

i don't have anything against americans, they're on the whole a very nice bunch of people from my experience. The only thing that's slightly annoying is all the majority of people ever want to talk about to me is Ireland and how they're 3rd cousin twice removed's friend was irish therefore they're irish too:p
    but i've found them very nice people and they don't deserve half the stick they get

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭supermonkey

If you think Ireland is anti American go to Greece, Spain, Italy, France, Germany you get the picture.

Oh no you're an American so you don't.

Everyone hates Americans except the Irish. We just dislike you.

• Advertisement
Advertisement