Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anti-Americanism in Ireland

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Ridiculous to be anti American, especially from people who consume lots of its culture. There's some bad but lots of good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

I may not like a lot of the media (fox news etc) foreign policy, the fact its run by idiots (just like us), but most Americans I've ever met here and while there have been nothing but nice. I was travelling around a few states a while back and spent a bit of it by myself, Americans are really easy to chat to and curious in a good way about life over here. Its also one of the most stunningly beautiful countries you'll ever visit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

OH and don't even get me started on what I think of USA's biggest export to the world - Egotistical Hip-hop ganster culture.:mad:

They go nuts about the south americans sneaking drugs into their country and killing muricans while being the largest exporter of cigarettes on the planet.

It was their policy's that destroyed the corn industry in Columbia. dumping corn on those countries under the guise of aid destroying their markets leaving the farmers no choice but to go to the next profitable cash crop. Cocoa.

They account for nearly half the worlds weapons exports too..

Their history is littered with scummy **** that would boil your blood and the only thing the apologists can say is "her durr it was the cold war" - see them justify the soviets scummy actions with the same excuse :rolleyes:

There is good reasons the american government are hated. very good reasons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭Benicetomonty

I think it can be traced back to the 1999 Ryder Cup tbh. Speaking for myself however, I went to the US 2 years ago and thought the people were lovely-genuinely out-of-their-own-way helpful. Although far too many of their sports personalities are a bit too keen on god for my liking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭Spunk84

Lived in the states for 9 years and the reason i left was that theres "TOO MANY AMERICANS" LOL Seriously love the states and everything about it but they are just a complete kettle of fish over there.

Heres my pet peeves that destroyed my soul while there.

-YOUR NOT IRISH!!!! Neither is your dog/mothers/fathers/brothers/goldfish/twice removed uncle....It doesnt make you Irish!!!!!
    -Trying to put on an Irish ascent
    -The CIA has caused and funded nearly all major wars on terror and drugs in the world today, so you wonder why most people dont like ya
    -You spend Trillions on wars but you cant feed your homeless or provide medical for families.
    -There are NO leprechauns in Ireland stop asking,wasnt funny the first time
    -Your treat your military personnel like garbage!
    -Paris Hilton,Kardashins,Opera,Jerry Springer
    -You have a huge baby death record, World super power and your death rate is mental!
    -YOUR NOT IRISH!!!!
    -You are a 6ft 400lb black man with the name Duke, Just because you have green eyes does not mean you can stop me and tell me your Irish!!!!!
    -The words African American:eek::eek: Your not African, ive been to Africa and they laugh at you when you come out with this statement!!!!Your a black american...Quit pulling the oppression card every bloody time
    -Im Irish American.....NO YOUR BLOODY NOT!!!!! Your born in America and its on your birth cert/passport your American and thats it!!!!
    -YOUR NOT IRISH!!!!
    -No one else in the world trys so hard to find out their family history to extent of traveling nearly 10,00miles to do so...Why bother, Seriously?
    -Seriously your 1/4 dutch 1/4 english 5/8 Philippiano and 1/2 irish.WHAT,HOW,WHAT
    -Asking some one to "SPEAK" on demand because u think there ascent is not "Cute" its rude and will get your ass kicked
    -YOUR NOT IRISH!!!!
    -Slaves,Slaves "my mother/father/grandmother/grandpa/ was a slave......Boo Hooo Hoooo get over it!!!!!!Everyone in the world has had family going back generations who were a slave at one time.
    -Every Irish Person is not a Drunk.
    -How can you eat yourself to 300+lbs:eek::eek:Seriously XXXXL Tshirts in Shops?
    -Parents especially soccer mommies wearing their 13 yr old teenagers clothes and acting like their the kid and letting their kid run the home is a joke!!!!
    -YOUR NOT IRISH!!!!
    -Being afraid of your child LMFAO "If i dont buy Johnny a toy he will hit me"
    -Religion Over there - More like a glorified mafia!!!!!!Especially the Irish reject Priests who couldnt become priests in Eire!!!!!!Sent there instead
    -Police in Schools from primary right threw to uni
    -Military Recruiters from primary right threw to uni
    -Land of the Free, Your not free your told what to see,say,buy,look,act etc
    -News channels-Biggest bunch of biased crap there is
    -YOUR NOT IRISH!!!!
    -SUGAR ...Yes SUGAR!!! In bloody everything, even milk and bread!
    -Portion size in restaurants!!!! Seriously how the hell do you eat so much
    -How do you not know were different countries in the World are?>?>? Theres a world out side the ol U.S.A
    -The Taliban did not hit the World trade centers,neither did Iraq or Afghanistan so why did you go there? O.I.L We all know
    -Let your kids be kids and not adults!!!
    -Bigger is not better, Its annoying!!!!
    -Having American Flags in your gardens???? Seriously i think you would realize your in the states already
    -American DMV:mad:Hate you 8hrs to get a letter stamped
    -YOUR NOT IRISH!!!!

-The BIGGEST THING i hated is being Pinched on St Paddys day because i didnt wear GREEN!!!!!! I am Irish Born and Bred, i do not need to be told im
    un-Irish for not wearing bloody Green!!!! You celebrate Paddys day more than the Irish because you want to be a leprechaun

My rant is over LOL:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,050 ✭✭✭✭cena

No problem the the Americans here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭Meow_Meow

Spunk84 wrote: »
    [...]
    -YOUR NOT IRISH!!!!
    [...]
    -YOUR NOT IRISH!!!!
    [...]
    -YOUR NOT IRISH!!!!
    [...]
    -No one else in the world trys so hard to find out their family history to extent of traveling nearly 10,00miles to do so...Why bother, Seriously?
    [...]
    -Seriously your 1/4 dutch 1/4 english 5/8 Philippiano and 1/2 irish.WHAT,HOW,WHAT
    [...]
    -YOUR NOT IRISH!!!!
    [...]
    -YOUR NOT IRISH!!!!
    [...]
    -YOUR NOT IRISH!!!!
    [...]
    -YOUR NOT IRISH!!!!
    [...]
    I am Irish Born and Bred, i do not need to be told im
    un-Irish for not wearing bloody Green!!!! [...]
    Gee, must be great to be one of the Chosen Ones

my not irish indeed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

I have been to america and they are very nice people in general. Don't judge them on the basis of George Bush and Dick Cheaney and the like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭Johro

There is/was no anti-Americanism, nobody had a quarrel with Americans, just with its government policies, and in particular its foreign policies, most of which are highly hypocritical.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Killer Wench

I personally think it is a form of penis envy. We have our faults, but when people get angry and are dissatisfied about events, we get our butts out there and get our voices heard. If we don't like the way a law impacts our community, we get lawyers and advocacy groups to fight it. In general, we aren't a nation to sit back and bitch about things being awful; we are going to do things to change it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Mance Rayder

I personally think it is a form of penis envy. We have our faults, but when people get angry and are dissatisfied about events, we get our butts out there and get our voices heard. If we don't like the way a law impacts our community, we get lawyers and advocacy groups to fight it. In general, we aren't a nation to sit back and bitch about things being awful; we are going to do things to change it.

America , F*CK YEAH! going to save the motherf*cken day YEAH!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Killer Wench

America , F*CK YEAH! going to save the motherf*cken day YEAH!

;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 927 ✭✭✭AngeGal

Lived in the states for 9 years and the reason i left was that theres "TOO MANY AMERICANS" LOL Seriously love the states and everything about it but they are just a complete kettle of fish over there.

-YOUR NOT IRISH!!!! Neither is your dog/mothers/fathers/brothers/goldfish/twice removed uncle....It doesnt make you Irish!!!!!
    -The CIA has caused and funded nearly all major wars on terror and drugs in the world today, so you wonder why most people dont like ya
    -You spend Trillions on wars but you cant feed your homeless or provide medical for families.
    -You have a huge baby death record, World super power and your death rate is mental!
    -YOUR NOT IRISH!!!!
    -You are a 6ft 400lb black man with the name Duke, Just because you have green eyes does not mean you can stop me and tell me your Irish!!!!!
    -The words African American:eek::eek: Your not African, ive been to Africa and they laugh at you when you come out with this statement!!!!Your a black american...Quit pulling the oppression card every bloody time
    -Im Irish American.....NO YOUR BLOODY NOT!!!!! Your born in America and its on your birth cert/passport your American and thats it!!!!
    -YOUR NOT IRISH!!!!
    -Asking some one to "SPEAK" on demand because u think there ascent is not "Cute" its rude and will get your ass kicked
    -YOUR NOT IRISH!!!!
    -Slaves,Slaves "my mother/father/grandmother/grandpa/ was a slave......Boo Hooo Hoooo get over it!!!!!!Everyone in the world has had family going back generations who were a slave at one time.
    -Parents especially soccer mommies wearing their 13 yr old teenagers clothes and acting like their the kid and letting their kid run the home is a joke!!!!
    -YOUR NOT IRISH!!!!
    -Religion Over there - More like a glorified mafia!!!!!!Especially the Irish reject Priests who couldnt become priests in Eire!!!!!!Sent there instead
    -YOUR NOT IRISH!!!!
    -How do you not know were different countries in the World are?>?>? Theres a world out side the ol U.S.A
    -The Taliban did not hit the World trade centers,neither did Iraq or Afghanistan so why did you go there? O.I.L We all know
    -Having American Flags in your gardens???? Seriously i think you would realize your in the states already
    -YOUR NOT IRISH!!!!

-The BIGGEST THING i hated is being Pinched on St Paddys day because i didnt wear GREEN!!!!!! I am Irish Born and Bred, i do not need to be told im
    un-Irish for not wearing bloody Green!!!! You celebrate Paddys day more than the Irish because you want to be a leprechaun

Jeez calm down... America has been extremely good to Ireland. I could easily make a similar list of things other nationalities find annoying about us....

I don't get why it's considered annoying when some American people say they've Irish roots - I think it's kinda nice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭SprostonGreen

I love America. If they are Irish Americans, then they're Irish, just like the Italians. Its a great country, the country that gave us NASA and Hollywood. Never mind Irish begrudgers, its just a little bitch country anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭LH Pathe

Irish roots?! They mean their natural colour is growing out at base point and they need to hit the blonde peroxide again

I love America. If they are Irish Americans, then they're Irish, just like the Italians. Its a great country, the country that gave us NASA and Hollywood. Never mind Irish begrudgers, its just a little bitch country anyway.

go **** off to americay then, and take your charlatans song title username with you. Follow the lyrics and let it be a case of 'this one goes'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

I love America, have lived there, studied there, have family there and my best friends live there. When I moved there I was given a welcome that would put the equivalent welcome in this country to shame. It is a beautiful country with opportunities everywhere you look. The people are overwhelmingly generous and polite in my experience.

Yes there are bad elements. The poverty there is actual poverty, far far removed from the welfare culture here. Their veterans are treated like dirt as are a lot of minorities. Many of them have an attitude to religion can be just as fanatical as those that they declare to be their enemies. For many their knowledge of the outside world is almost non-existent. Too many of them are brainwashed in a lot of ways by the media. I have never seen so many people on psychiatric medication in my entire life. They politicise everything and are complete drama queens about the the most stupid things.

BUT - I still love the country and the people. America is a country of huge contrasts. Each state is like a different country. I'd urge everyone to visit some part of the country at least once.

There is a LOT that this country could learn from America. A lot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭SprostonGreen

LH Pathe wrote: »
    go **** off to americay then, and take your charlatans song title username with you. Follow the lyrics and let it be a case of 'this one goes'

Why would **** off? Do I have to take the username with me, could I leave it behind?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭cloptrop

The op is right why are these racism superfreak warriors allowed to blame the americans on everything Thats racist. I like america being in control . They dont hate us. What if we let thetaliban japan etc etc be in control. wed be fattwahed. I like things as they are , Thank you team america may you control the oil for years to come. I dont wanna see my children grow up in a world where china control the oil.
    If you do I think there is just something wrong with you.

Can I get a baloney sammich.. Ron, can I get a vote.. can I cum in your circle..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 Lickin' Gravy

Im Irish American.....NO YOUR BLOODY NOT!!!!! Your born in America and its on your birth cert/passport your American and thats it!!!!

I don't think alot of Irish Americans take it as seriously as all that!

How could you deny his Irish heritage:D

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭PHIDIAS

cloptrop wrote: »
    The op is right why are these racism superfreak warriors allowed to blame the americans on everything Thats racist. I like america being in control . They dont hate us. What if we let thetaliban japan etc etc be in control. wed be fattwahed. I like things as they are , Thank you team america may you control the oil for years to come. I dont wanna see my children grow up in a world where china control the oil.
    If you do I think there is just something wrong with you.

Wed be fattwahed, LOL:D. I'm going to borrow that one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 604 ✭✭✭Lanaier

When a yank say's they're Irish it's a compliment.

No offense but tbh I find it a little pathetic that people would get pissy about something like that.

Let them be Irish ffs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Skopzz

Le King wrote: »
    Being Irish-American born in the US to Irish parents this is my point of view on the avid anti-American stance in Ireland.

I find it quite funny and hilariously sad the severe Anti-American stance in Ireland. Some people I meet in Ireland have some sort of hatred towards the States. For what reason, I can't comprehend. It makes no sense at all the fact that a lot of Irish people seem to think it's okay to hate America.

It makes no sense at all. Any Anti-American topic on here seems to go down well, but any topic regarding any any-British content seems to be a taboo subject for you guys.

I can't get my head around this fact that you hate us more than you hate the British. We have been the most accepting country of Irish immigrants, we are the country who love the Irish, yet we're hated.

We have never tried to colonize your country, obviously, yet the Anti-American bias holds stronger than the anti-British bias over here. That point is merely a comparison between ourselves and the British.

Can somebody shed some light on this for me? Why are Americans hated over here?

Any great reasons?

Americans are not hated in Ireland.

I need to point something out:

On the internet, you will see loyalists pupporting to be Irish people and bit<hing about Irish-Americans. These are pro-british settlers who hate America. No Irish person I know ever hates Americans, in fact they deeply respect them for their Irish support against british annexation.

British people are much more unpopular in Ireland. Some people on this board may be loyalists in disguise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 312 ✭✭man.about.town

-YOUR NOT IRISH!!!!
    -YOUR NOT IRISH!!!!
    -YOUR NOT IRISH!!!!
    -YOUR NOT IRISH!!!!
    -YOUR NOT IRISH!!!!
    -YOUR NOT IRISH!!!!

wow, there proud to have some distant relative whos Irish and your slagging them... i could make a list twice that size on reasons too be ashamed to be irish. i say good for them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

While i dont hate americans as a people, there are some i cannot stand (see: George Bush)

But I hate the way that the Irish are portrayed in american media/news.

We're still seen as sheep shagging, guinness drinking, constantly fighting, ALWAYS drunk Leprachauns. Or new york cops....
    Its like someone seen a postcard of ireland and was like, lulz they still live in straw houses....

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭swimming in a sea

Skopzz wrote: »
    Americans are not hated in Ireland.

I need to point something out:

On the internet, you will see loyalists pupporting to be Irish people and bit<hing about Irish-Americans. These are pro-british settlers who hate America. No Irish person I know ever hates Americans, in fact they deeply respect them for their Irish support against british annexation.

British people are much more unpopular in Ireland. Some people on this board may be loyalists in disguise.

some rubbish there,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

For a country that starts with a U, they sUre take it out of a lot of english words. Makes me suspicious.....

ColoUr
    FavoUrite
    HonoUr
    ArmoUr
    OdoUr

:D

Regardless of their butchering of the letter U, I still think it's a fantastic place to visit. Even if I have to take my chips out of the trunk and stand on the pavement (take my crisps out of the boot and stand on the footpath), I hope to enjoy many more trips over

Hi to all the CIA, DHS, FBI, NSA folks who may be monitoring these boards and the internet.... you guys are fab, keep up the good work

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,150 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Plazaman wrote: »

Hi to all the CIA, DHS, FBI, NSA folks who may be monitoring these boards and the internet.... you guys are fab, keep up the good work

No problem. Aw crap. Forgot to switch accounts. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

25 Signs That The Nazification Of America Is Almost Complete

America is not the same country as it was pre 9/11.Having lived and worked there between 1989 and 1993 It was a great place to live, being full of oppertuniti, surprises and free way of life. Since the Patriot act became law and enacted upon I would not dream of going back there on a permanent basis, not that I would be ever let in again. :p,

A good mate of mine lived there 20 years and returned last year as he couldnt put up with the way the country was going.He now agrees with me on some points that I came out with a few years ago about the country turning into a police state. Unfortunitally things have now changed to the worse in America.

Its a great pity that the ordinary decent people of America are all caught up in this mess inflicted on them by their fascist governments.

There are some valid points in the link below.

http://www.sovereignindependent.com/?p=35272

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Mance Rayder

25 Signs That The Nazification Of America Is Almost Complete

America is not the same country as it was pre 9/11.Having lived and worked there between 1989 and 1993 It was a great place to live, being full of oppertuniti, surprises and free way of life. Since the Patriot act became law and enacted upon I would not dream of going back there on a permanent basis, not that I would be ever let in again. :p,

A good mate of mine lived there 20 years and returned last year as he couldnt put up with the way the country was going.He now agrees with me on some points that I came out with a few years ago about the country turning into a police state. Unfortunitally things have now changed to the worse in America.

Its a great pity that the ordinary decent people of America are all caught up in this mess inflicted on them by their fascist governments.

There are some valid points in the link below.

http://www.sovereignindependent.com/?p=35272

Dude are you off your trolly that link features some of the worst attempts at logic I have ever come across!

Heres an example comparison number 7:

The economy of Nazi Germany was very highly socialized.
    =
    In USA - in 2009 the cover of Newsweek boldly proclaimed that “We Are All Socialists Now“.

So a newspaper in USA ran a headline with some slogan, so that means USA is now a socialist country????

It's idiocy like this that just baffles me. Ireland is much more socialist then USA will ever be and no one is drawing that parallel.

Run_to_da_hills you shame yourself. This is stupid beyond stupid. Conspiracy forum is => That way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Everybody loves America, just ask any American.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Dude are you off your trolly that link features some of the worst attempts at logic I have ever come across!

Heres an example comparison number 7:

The economy of Nazi Germany was very highly socialized.
    =
    In USA - in 2009 the cover of Newsweek boldly proclaimed that “We Are All Socialists Now“.

So a newspaper in USA ran a headline with some slogan, so that means USA is now a socialist country????

It's idiocy like this that just baffles me. Ireland is much more socialist then USA will ever be and no one is drawing that parallel.

Run_to_da_hills you shame yourself. This is stupid beyond stupid. Conspiracy forum is => That way.

I said some valid points.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Dudess wrote: »
    I don't get why it's considered annoying when some American people say they've Irish roots - I think it's kinda nice.
    My ancestors were Norman, but that doesn't give me the right to say I'm French.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

kylith wrote: »
    the normans were not french

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭Spunk84

getz wrote: »
    the normans were not french
    And Americans are not Irish!

I don't know whether rights come into it though - it's often just a bit of good-natured conversation, nothing serious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

And Americans are not Irish!
    in america they are,its like buying a washing machine then sending it back because it doesint make a sandwich

• Advertisement

Lol.. except you know, big things like the patriot act and NDAA. but by God if they try sort health care out or raise the bosses taxes...we'll be out!!!! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

I regard myself as closer to Boston then I am to Berlin.

I don't know whether rights come into it though - it's often just a bit of good-natured conversation, nothing serious.
    It gets annoying after the 10th person says it though "You're Irish. Wow! I'm Irish too!" "Oh really, where are you from?" "Well, I was born in California, and so were my parents and my grandparents..." "So, you're American?" "Oh, no, I'm Irish".

It gets on my nerves. I wouldn't even really call my American cousins Irish-American, and their dad was born in Waterford.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

It gets annoying after the 10th person says it though "You're Irish. Wow! I'm Irish too!" "Oh really, where are you from?" "Well, I was born in California, and so were my parents and my grandparents..." "So, you're American?" "Oh, no, I'm Irish".

It gets on my nerves. I wouldn't even really call my American cousins Irish-American, and their dad was born in Waterford.

I don't mind, people like to have a sense of identity. America is a melting pot of cultures so people value their roots more, everyone wants to belong somewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

OP most Irish people love Americans and all Irish hate the English so I dont know where your getting all this from...

America, FU*K YEAH!

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭bastados

Le King wrote: »
    Being Irish-American born in the US to Irish parents this is my point of view on the avid anti-American stance in Ireland.

I find it quite funny and hilariously sad the severe Anti-American stance in Ireland. Some people I meet in Ireland have some sort of hatred towards the States. For what reason, I can't comprehend. It makes no sense at all the fact that a lot of Irish people seem to think it's okay to hate America.

It makes no sense at all. Any Anti-American topic on here seems to go down well, but any topic regarding any any-British content seems to be a taboo subject for you guys.

I can't get my head around this fact that you hate us more than you hate the British. We have been the most accepting country of Irish immigrants, we are the country who love the Irish, yet we're hated.

We have never tried to colonize your country, obviously, yet the Anti-American bias holds stronger than the anti-British bias over here. That point is merely a comparison between ourselves and the British.

Can somebody shed some light on this for me? Why are Americans hated over here?

Any great reasons?

"While The United States is the most powerful nation the world has ever seen, it is also the most detested nation that the world has ever known" -Harold Pinter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 881 ✭✭✭AtomicKoala

I think the main problem people have with Americans in general is that they often say stupid things, and seem to be unaware of the rest of the world. Americans aren't stupid - the average IQ of the US is the same as the EU average - ask a random Nebraskan to do a maths question and they'll probably do it as well as a random Czech.

But when you get to world knowledge or political views it can feel like you are whacking your head off the wall all too often. Still, it's not like Europeans don't ask stupid questions and think stupid things, see Yahoo Answers or early to mid Twentieth century European history.

I don't mind, people like to have a sense of identity. America is a melting pot of cultures so people value their roots more, everyone wants to belong somewhere.
    It's just strange that in a country with such frothing patriotism very few people will actually say that they're American, without qualifying it with Irish-, African-, Swedish-, Whateverish-.

They have an identity; American, why are they so insecure in it to have to try tag on someone else's too? Is it because they're aware that their country has only few hundred years of history compared to the rest of the world's thousands of years, and the only way they can overcome this psychologically is to try to desperately align themselves with a country that no-one in their family has set foot in for centuaries?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Skopzz

some rubbish there,

I've a hunch you are one of those loyalist computer warriors pretending to be Irish and pupporting to represent Irish people. This thread has some strikingly similar postings by new people like you all with the same anti-Irish-American theme.

You aren't very good at covering that up - that goes for your other mates:

Dudess,
    King of Kings,
    Pace2008,
    RichieC.

One more note. You are not real opinions, but a simple set of rhetorical non sequiturs; unworthy of any academic answers. They have no relevance nor substance.

Skopzz wrote: »
    I've a hunch you are one of those loyalist computer warriors pretending to be Irish and pupporting to represent Irish people. This thread has some strikingly similar postings by new people like you all with the same anti-Irish-American theme.

You aren't very good at covering that up - that goes for your other mates:

Dudess,
    King of Kings,
    Pace2008,
    RichieC.

One more note. You are not real opinions, but a simple set of rhetorical non sequiturs; unworthy of any academic answers. They have no relevance nor substance.

You got me... I'm an orange man... well now that it's out sure why not: GOD SAVE THE QUEEN!

• Advertisement
Advertisement