Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anti-Americanism in Ireland

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Skopzz

Spunk84 wrote: »
    And Americans are not Irish!

One last correction to your intellectually-challenged posting: Irish-Americans are Irish. Loyalist settlers are not Irish.

This thread is definitely full of Loyalist posters. No doubt about that...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Funglegunk

Skopzz wrote: »
    I've a hunch you are one of those loyalist computer warriors pretending to be Irish and pupporting to represent Irish people. This thread has some strikingly similar postings by new people like you all with the same anti-Irish-American theme.

You aren't very good at covering that up - that goes for your other mates:

Dudess,
    King of Kings,
    Pace2008,
    RichieC.

One more note. You are not real opinions, but a simple set of rhetorical non sequiturs; unworthy of any academic answers. They have no relevance nor substance.

I hope you're taking the piss...

Funglegunk wrote: »
    I hope you're taking the piss...

You're weirdly obsessed loyalist fella! Now take a hike back to Scotland or your beloved Britain.

BTW, maybe the moderator needs to look into the fact that Loyalists posting here are similar to the Irish bashing ones on Youtube. What say we report it.OK?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

To suggest that Americans are hated here or anywhere for that matter is ridiculous. Sure there is prejudice and ignorance fuelling such negative feeling. In some parts political opposition or even conflict may also be contributing factors.

Ireland and America have always enjoyed good mutual respect (which has been more to Ireland's benefit). Occasionally differences do arise but that is surely no big surprise in a mature and grownup world? I believe the vast majority of the Irish people have a deep rooted and positive respect for America and it's citizens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

kylith wrote: »
    They have an identity; American, why are they so insecure in it to have to try tag on someone else's too? Is it because they're aware that their country has only few hundred years of history compared to the rest of the world's thousands of years, and the only way they can overcome this psychologically is to try to desperately align themselves with a country that no-one in their family has set foot in for centuaries?

You're throwing in nonsense words like "insecure" and "desperately" to try and make it seem negative but I dont see whats wrong with that? Yes, the place is only a few hundred years old and most non native americans have some interest in how their ancestors ended up there.

If their family left ireland in the famine and they're in your B&B in tallaght and mention that to you, does it really piss you off that much?

They're identifying their heritage as Irish not claiming citizenship for gods sake.

:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

Lived in the states for 9 years and the reason i left was that theres "TOO MANY AMERICANS" LOL Seriously love the states and everything about it but they are just a complete kettle of fish over there.

Heres my pet peeves that destroyed my soul while there.

-YOUR NOT IRISH!!!! Neither is your dog/mothers/fathers/brothers/goldfish/twice removed uncle....It doesnt make you Irish!!!!!
    -Trying to put on an Irish ascent
    -The CIA has caused and funded nearly all major wars on terror and drugs in the world today, so you wonder why most people dont like ya
    -You spend Trillions on wars but you cant feed your homeless or provide medical for families.
    -There are NO leprechauns in Ireland stop asking,wasnt funny the first time
    -Your treat your military personnel like garbage!
    -Paris Hilton,Kardashins,Opera,Jerry Springer
    -You have a huge baby death record, World super power and your death rate is mental!
    -YOUR NOT IRISH!!!!
    -You are a 6ft 400lb black man with the name Duke, Just because you have green eyes does not mean you can stop me and tell me your Irish!!!!!
    -The words African American:eek::eek: Your not African, ive been to Africa and they laugh at you when you come out with this statement!!!!Your a black american...Quit pulling the oppression card every bloody time
    -Im Irish American.....NO YOUR BLOODY NOT!!!!! Your born in America and its on your birth cert/passport your American and thats it!!!!
    -YOUR NOT IRISH!!!!
    -No one else in the world trys so hard to find out their family history to extent of traveling nearly 10,00miles to do so...Why bother, Seriously?
    -Seriously your 1/4 dutch 1/4 english 5/8 Philippiano and 1/2 irish.WHAT,HOW,WHAT
    -Asking some one to "SPEAK" on demand because u think there ascent is not "Cute" its rude and will get your ass kicked
    -YOUR NOT IRISH!!!!
    -Slaves,Slaves "my mother/father/grandmother/grandpa/ was a slave......Boo Hooo Hoooo get over it!!!!!!Everyone in the world has had family going back generations who were a slave at one time.
    -Every Irish Person is not a Drunk.
    -How can you eat yourself to 300+lbs:eek::eek:Seriously XXXXL Tshirts in Shops?
    -Parents especially soccer mommies wearing their 13 yr old teenagers clothes and acting like their the kid and letting their kid run the home is a joke!!!!
    -YOUR NOT IRISH!!!!
    -Being afraid of your child LMFAO "If i dont buy Johnny a toy he will hit me"
    -Religion Over there - More like a glorified mafia!!!!!!Especially the Irish reject Priests who couldnt become priests in Eire!!!!!!Sent there instead
    -Police in Schools from primary right threw to uni
    -Military Recruiters from primary right threw to uni
    -Land of the Free, Your not free your told what to see,say,buy,look,act etc
    -News channels-Biggest bunch of biased crap there is
    -YOUR NOT IRISH!!!!
    -SUGAR ...Yes SUGAR!!! In bloody everything, even milk and bread!
    -Portion size in restaurants!!!! Seriously how the hell do you eat so much
    -How do you not know were different countries in the World are?>?>? Theres a world out side the ol U.S.A
    -The Taliban did not hit the World trade centers,neither did Iraq or Afghanistan so why did you go there? O.I.L We all know
    -Let your kids be kids and not adults!!!
    -Bigger is not better, Its annoying!!!!
    -Having American Flags in your gardens???? Seriously i think you would realize your in the states already
    -American DMV:mad:Hate you 8hrs to get a letter stamped
    -YOUR NOT IRISH!!!!

-The BIGGEST THING i hated is being Pinched on St Paddys day because i didnt wear GREEN!!!!!! I am Irish Born and Bred, i do not need to be told im
    un-Irish for not wearing bloody Green!!!! You celebrate Paddys day more than the Irish because you want to be a leprechaun

My rant is over LOL:D

That's a bit unfair to be quite honest.

A lot of Irish people confuse Canada with the United States and can be quite unapologetic about it too. It really annoys Canadians! Most people outside of Ireland and Britain do not have intimate knowledge of the geopolitics of these two islands. They're quite confusing, unless you've a particular interest in it!

Also, the USA is a huge place. A lot of Europeans assume they are very knowledgable about the world, but often they don't know much more than European countries, which is similar to Americans knowing other states. Many people in Ireland or anywhere in Europe have extremely limited knowledge of African or Asian geography for example.

I don't really see what the problem is with Americans looking for ancestral roots in Ireland or other countries. I'm delighted that someone feels positive enough about Ireland and Irishness to want to share my identity. The more the merrier! It just means Ireland has an excellent and positive national brand in the USA that is something that a lot of people want to feel part of.

I've absolutely no issue with anyone doing that. I think Ireland and Irishness is defined by more than just pure ethnicity anyway. It's about embracing a cultural perspective that takes in a huge range of music, history, looking out for the underdog, being a little bit of a rogue and a kind of anti-imperial, usually quite fun-loving view of the world.

If people want to buy-in to being Irish, great!! It certainly doesn't do us any harm as a nation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Lived in the states for 9 years and the reason i left was that theres "TOO MANY AMERICANS" LOL Seriously love the states and everything about it but they are just a complete kettle of fish over there.

-YOUR NOT IRISH!!!! Neither is your dog/mothers/fathers/brothers/goldfish/twice removed uncle....It doesnt make you Irish!!!!!
    -The CIA has caused and funded nearly all major wars on terror and drugs in the world today, so you wonder why most people dont like ya
    -You spend Trillions on wars but you cant feed your homeless or provide medical for families.
    -You have a huge baby death record, World super power and your death rate is mental!
    -YOUR NOT IRISH!!!!
    -You are a 6ft 400lb black man with the name Duke, Just because you have green eyes does not mean you can stop me and tell me your Irish!!!!!
    -The words African American:eek::eek: Your not African, ive been to Africa and they laugh at you when you come out with this statement!!!!Your a black american...Quit pulling the oppression card every bloody time
    -Im Irish American.....NO YOUR BLOODY NOT!!!!! Your born in America and its on your birth cert/passport your American and thats it!!!!
    -YOUR NOT IRISH!!!!
    -No one else in the world trys so hard to find out their family history to extent of traveling nearly 10,00miles to do so...Why bother, Seriously?
    -Seriously your 1/4 dutch 1/4 english 5/8 Philippiano and 1/2 irish.WHAT,HOW,WHAT
    -Asking some one to "SPEAK" on demand because u think there ascent is not "Cute" its rude and will get your ass kicked
    -YOUR NOT IRISH!!!!
    -Slaves,Slaves "my mother/father/grandmother/grandpa/ was a slave......Boo Hooo Hoooo get over it!!!!!!Everyone in the world has had family going back generations who were a slave at one time.
    -Parents especially soccer mommies wearing their 13 yr old teenagers clothes and acting like their the kid and letting their kid run the home is a joke!!!!
    -YOUR NOT IRISH!!!!
    -Religion Over there - More like a glorified mafia!!!!!!Especially the Irish reject Priests who couldnt become priests in Eire!!!!!!Sent there instead
    -YOUR NOT IRISH!!!!
    -How do you not know were different countries in the World are?>?>? Theres a world out side the ol U.S.A
    -The Taliban did not hit the World trade centers,neither did Iraq or Afghanistan so why did you go there? O.I.L We all know
    -Having American Flags in your gardens???? Seriously i think you would realize your in the states already
    -YOUR NOT IRISH!!!!

-The BIGGEST THING i hated is being Pinched on St Paddys day because i didnt wear GREEN!!!!!! I am Irish Born and Bred, i do not need to be told im
    un-Irish for not wearing bloody Green!!!! You celebrate Paddys day more than the Irish because you want to be a leprechaun

Are you Irish? The only reason I ask is that your rant ridiculing all things American contains so many grammatical errors and spelling mistakes! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭Johnny Foreigner

OP most Irish people love Americans and all Irish hate the English so I dont know where your getting all this from...

America, FU*K YEAH!

You are mistaken.
    One cannot stereotype all Irish as English haters.
    Just look at the number of Irish that wear English Premier League Football shirts, and support English football teams.
    Many Irish love English people, their culture, accents, TV, music, fashions.
    My family are Irish and half of them are married to English partners.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭Spunk84

-YOUR NOT IRISH!!!!
    -YOUR NOT IRISH!!!!
    -YOUR NOT IRISH!!!!
    -YOUR NOT IRISH!!!!
    -YOUR NOT IRISH!!!!
    -YOUR NOT IRISH!!!!

Are you Irish? The only reason I ask is that your rant ridiculing all things American contains so many grammatical errors and spelling mistakes! :(

LOL it's called a rant not a well rehearsed doctrine! It's what I found annoying, as I said I love the US country and visit 4 times a year but as an Irish Person the above annoys the living hell out of me. I am not tar and feathering all Americans with rant as it would be unjust. I'm saying that these are where the things that drove me potty over there. It's my view on it nothing more nothing less. Like any country I have visited you always find good points and bad points about them.

On a further note about the Irish! There's not one country in the world that doesn't welcome the Irish, can that be said about any other country?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

LOL it's called a rant not a well rehearsed doctrine!

I agree with you about the imitation of the accent.

And with pats day coming up its reaching its peak right now.

But I can live with the heritage thing, most americans you meet will list a string of nationalities they've evolved(!) from. Its important to them living in a newly settled land.

;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭Meow_Meow

as I said I love the US country and visit 4 times a year but as an Irish Person the above annoys the living hell out of me.

Make way for the VIP- Very Irish Person

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Capt. Jas. Hook

bad2dabone wrote: »
    well I was in america and a girl I was talking to asked me did they have indoor toilets in the houses in Ireland because she heard they didnt.

I realize this is a very, very old post and I'm sorry for quoting it, but I had to, because I have been asked this very question by Americans on numerous occasions. I currently live in America, so I have ample opportunity to get asked all sorts of things and I get this one, literally, over and over again. And once it came from business owner who had a college degree and who should have known better!

I've also been asked once what a third world country is really like. Not lying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Killer Wench

I realize this is a very, very old post and I'm sorry for quoting it, but I had to, because I have been asked this very question by Americans on numerous occasions. I currently live in America, so I have ample opportunity to get asked all sorts of things and I get this one, literally, over and over again. And once it came from business owner who had a college degree and who should have known better!

Actually, I have sat in a classroom at TCD and had one of my profs talk about the crash of the Irish housing market. They used an example of a small cottage outside of Dublin that had been 400K in worth but had no toilet or bathroom.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭tonycascarino

kylith wrote: »
    It gets annoying after the 10th person says it though "You're Irish. Wow! I'm Irish too!" "Oh really, where are you from?" "Well, I was born in California, and so were my parents and my grandparents..." "So, you're American?" "Oh, no, I'm Irish". .

I don't see what the problem is really. Being Irish isn't that special and if they want to see themselves as such I would take it as a compliment,.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 604 ✭✭✭Lanaier

So what's it like?

People need to understand that all the confusion over Ireland stems from the fact that it's a very small, ultimately insignifigant place and the globe encompassing reach we claim our culture has is .....let's say: exaggerated slightly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

Lanaier wrote: »
    People need to understand that all the confusion over Ireland stems from the fact that it's a very small, ultimately insignifigant place and the globe encompassing reach we claim our culture has is .....let's say: exaggerated slightly.
    Sure, completely exaggerated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Spread

Dudess wrote: »
    I don't get why it's considered annoying when some American people say they've Irish roots - I think it's kinda nice.

Ditto!
    I meet people every week who talk to me just because I'm Irish. And if they want to be Irish ......... so what? It's really a compliment. Yesterday In Target there was one long line of St Patrick's Day cards shelves .......... far far bigger than the Valentine's Day presentation a few days before. So listen, it's sa bit of craic ......... nobody gets hurt ....... everyone seems to enjoy it. They're even turning Niagara Falls green for the day.
    Enjoy! Get merry. And celebrate your Irishness with millions of others who are not as lucky! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

Spread wrote: »
    Ditto!
    I meet people every week who talk to me just because I'm Irish. And if they want to be Irish ......... so what? It's really a compliment. Yesterday In Target there was one long line of St Patrick's Day cards shelves .......... far far bigger than the Valentine's Day presentation a few days before. So listen, it's sa bit of craic ......... nobody gets hurt ....... everyone seems to enjoy it. They're even turning Niagara Falls green for the day.
    Enjoy! Get merry. And celebrate your Irishness with millions of others who are not as lucky! :D

Ditto here as well, I wonder will we get access to Chinese power once a year on Paddys day,. OK we wont,. But did you ever wonder the privilege of that, pain in the bollox tradition to the American presidents since Kennedy. A traditional meet and access with the American president and the most powerful man in the world. Really an incredible privilege to our very small nation, it gives us Kudos.

So the Chinese president, let us hunt for some obscure roots,, O mac chin lin wang.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

Making fun of USA is funny imo, i've no hatred for Americans but any country that votes an idiot like judge Bush (twice !) as their president deserves a bit of slagging imo !

Nothing personal.

• Advertisement

Lanaier wrote: »
    ... the globe encompassing reach we claim our culture has is .....let's say: exaggerated slightly.
    Doc Ruby wrote: »

It IS exaggerated.

What am I looking for in that article?
    It only proves that one needs to secure catholic votes in an American presidential campaign.
    It even says exactly that in the article :confused:

The simple fact is that even if half the nations of the west somehow claimed that Ireland was the basis of modern civilization Irish people would probably claim that Irish culture is hot sh1t in Japan, Iran, Mars, Alpha Centauri and Heaven.

So I say again:
    The globe encompassing reach we claim our culture has is exaggerated.

From that article:
    "There is an affinity by association. It's the reputation of the Irish, the fighting Irish. A guy who gets off his feet and fights the battle and wins. "

God, if only the yanks knew the truth eh?
    Nothing could be further from it these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭Pdfile

Le King wrote: »
    Being Irish-American born in the US to Irish parents this is my point of view on the avid anti-American stance in Ireland.

I find it quite funny and hilariously sad the severe Anti-American stance in Ireland. Some people I meet in Ireland have some sort of hatred towards the States. For what reason, I can't comprehend. It makes no sense at all the fact that a lot of Irish people seem to think it's okay to hate America.

It makes no sense at all. Any Anti-American topic on here seems to go down well, but any topic regarding any any-British content seems to be a taboo subject for you guys.

I can't get my head around this fact that you hate us more than you hate the British. We have been the most accepting country of Irish immigrants, we are the country who love the Irish, yet we're hated.

We have never tried to colonize your country, obviously, yet the Anti-American bias holds stronger than the anti-British bias over here. That point is merely a comparison between ourselves and the British.

Can somebody shed some light on this for me? Why are Americans hated over here?

Any great reasons?

pro americanisim is shoved down our throats... so why shouldn't we hate something that can't hate itself ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

Pdfile wrote: »
    pro americanisim is shoved down our throats... so why shouldn't we hate something that can't hate itself ?
    thats something i find hard to understand with irish people,is it a form of jealousy ?.its not as though the americans have been bad to the irish people,in fact they have been very helpfull and supportive to its state ,more so than any other country,wanting to be american /irish should be looked at as a complement,there are american/irish, american/welsh ,american/scotish,american/italians, but the strange thing is that there are no american/english ,any ideas why ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭Spunk84

getz wrote: »
    Pdfile wrote: »
    thats something i find hard to understand with irish people,is it a form of jealousy ?.its not as though the americans have been bad to the irish people,in fact they have been very helpfull and supportive to its state ,more so than any other country,wanting to be american /irish should be looked at as a complement,there are american/irish, american/welsh ,american/scotish,american/italians, but the strange thing is that there are no american/english ,any ideas why ?
    That's a laugh! The Irish were treated like second class citizens, used to build railroads and skyscrapers and if an Irishman died on site then it was just another paddy gone. We were the white slaves of America pure and simple, the only reason we got were we are in the states because we fought are way through American ignorance and battered anyone who look wrong at us. That's were your fighting Irish comes from

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,453 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

Most anti-american talk in ireland is actually anti-globalisation talk. There are a lot of new colonalism ideals coming from the USA that reminds people of the same carry on from the British and French.

Lots of ignorance in Ireland about America but I would say there is even more ignornace in the US about Ireland. Irish Americans aren't really as Irish as they think and can actually be more inaccurate than a regular american. The Irish American culture is quite different to that of actual Ireland.

I have met many irish American who were completely clueless on what Ireland is actually like. No surprises when their parents or grandparents have not lived here for so long and remember a country that no longer exists.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭BumbleB

That's a laugh! The Irish were treated like second class citizens, used to build railroads and skyscrapers and if an Irishman died on site then it was just another paddy gone. We were the white slaves of America pure and simple, the only reason we got were we are in the states because we fought are way through American ignorance and battered anyone who look wrong at us. That's were your fighting Irish comes from

very true statement , Irish and black people worked side by side, in the USA in bygone days .The irish were as good as slaves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

BumbleB wrote: »
    very true statement , Irish and black people worked side by side, in the USA in bygone days .The irish were as good as slaves.

We were worse than slaves, losing a slave meant the loss of a slave, were as hired Irish deaths cost **** all. so they'd send the rented workers in to do the jobs considered too dangerous for their slaves.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

you have a lot of catching up to do if this is what you think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 588 ✭✭✭MisterEpicurus

America has a lot of the best Universities, but boy does it have an unnatural amount of ill-educated people.

From 1993-1999 (not too long ago by any stretch of the imagination), 47% of Americans thought the world was created by god in the last 10,000 years.

Luckily that figure has dropped with the most recent figures about the 40% mark.

Regardless of any cultural smokescreen that could be employed to explain this, they MUST be stupid. And I don't know about you, but I've a distinct lack of respect for stupid people, whom even when exposed to contrary evidence, remain within the same swamp of credulity.

This same electorate gave us George Bush. So even though the USA has 300 million + people, the best they can find for the job is a former alcoholic fanatic who thinks he has a direct hotline to god for matters of war and justice. Shocking.

I don't really agree with the whole 'US thinks they control the world' etc., because if it wasn't USA, it would be another country, possibly worse like Russia or China.

There's so many reasons to look down on the US despite it being a great country. If only the people weren't so generally ignorant about almost everything, then I'm sure you'd gain more respect around the world.

And to say 'Oh, we Americans love you Irish', is another example of stupid...because are we supposed to love you just because you love us? No!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

There's the beginnings of a trend in England and Ireland of people openly rejecting the Old earth and Evolution, MisterEpicurus. Thanks mainly to incredibly well funded American interest groups :(

Wompa1 wrote: »
    I am Irish American. I was born in America, my mother is American. I have lived in Ireland for all but a year and 2 months of my life. Most don't pick up that I am part American. My view of the whole thing is that the Irish have some sort complex with America and Americans because the personalitys are polar opposites.

Americans are very outgoing, can be loud, majority tend to be overly friendly...all without drink! which scares people here!

Americans don't begrudge people for their success, they admire their acheivements and try to hard themselves to duplicate their success. They are very very career driven people. Alot of Irish are very bitter towards other peoples success and have a sense of entitlement in their jobs. The employers are never good enough, it's a sh!t job because they don't pay me enough or expect too much of me etc.

I work in a job in which I deal with loads of nationalities for an American multi-national company. There are constantly snide remarks about Americans by people working with me. It's bull, personally above any other nationality I like to deal with them the most, I know if the job isn't done right they can get really pissy but if and what should be the case, the job is done right they are very gracious and thankful.

The whole intelligence thing...this is a pretty sweeping statement but I would feel the smartest Americans would be much more capable than the smartest Irish as their universities are much, much better. Perhaps not so many Americans can afford higher education and this might explain their perceived lack of intelligence. Personally I haven't met any more dumb Americans than I have dumb Irish. An Irish girl asked me before was each of the states its own country in America..and she is a PHD student here! Also when watching the USA match last night in a pub I over heard an old Irish guy talking to an American family, they told him they were from Idaho and he asked is that where Cleveland is?

I read on this that an American thought we used out houses. Well I'd consider myself Irish and I thought Los Angeles would be a beautiful posh place...when I got there I felt like a fool for believing what I saw on TV because it's a complete sh!t hole!!

quick question for ya.....why would you think that an Irish person would know exactly which state is beside each other? Would you know which county surrounds Laois without looking it up? Just a small example about how americans thinks that the world should know everything about them.

re. your post about the person thinking each state was a country- are you sure you didn't pick the question up wrong - they may have been asking does each us state have their own laws (yes they do) as opposed to every county in ireland having the same laws. Ever think of that??

oh,,and one more thing - a secondary school education here in ireland is the equivalent of a college education in the states.

:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Jorah

Because the English were the "true" Americans once upon a time.

And I've never heard of the American Welsh lol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭moonboy52

quick question for ya.....why would you think that an Irish person would know exactly which state is beside each other? Would you know which county surrounds Laois without looking it up? Just a small example about how americans thinks that the world should know everything about them.

re. your post about the person thinking each state was a country- are you sure you didn't pick the question up wrong - they may have been asking does each us state have their own laws (yes they do) as opposed to every county in ireland having the same laws. Ever think of that??

oh,,and one more thing - a secondary school education here in ireland is the equivalent of a college education in the states.

Instead of trying to pick apart Wompa1's post, focus on the truth behind his comments.

That man made some good points!

moonboy52 wrote: »
    Instead of trying to pick apart Wompa1's post, focus on the truth behind his comments.

That man made some good points!

can you elaborate on that. I am trying to get to the truth by my questions. the poster is obviously in the honeymoon stage of a "new" experience. Give it time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭johnnybmac

America has a lot of the best Universities, but boy does it have an unnatural amount of ill-educated people.

From 1993-1999 (not too long ago by any stretch of the imagination), 47% of Americans thought the world was created by god in the last 10,000 years.

Luckily that figure has dropped with the most recent figures about the 40% mark.

Regardless of any cultural smokescreen that could be employed to explain this, they MUST be stupid. And I don't know about you, but I've a distinct lack of respect for stupid people, whom even when exposed to contrary evidence, remain within the same swamp of credulity.

This same electorate gave us George Bush. So even though the USA has 300 million + people, the best they can find for the job is a former alcoholic fanatic who thinks he has a direct hotline to god for matters of war and justice. Shocking.

I don't really agree with the whole 'US thinks they control the world' etc., because if it wasn't USA, it would be another country, possibly worse like Russia or China.

There's so many reasons to look down on the US despite it being a great country. If only the people weren't so generally ignorant about almost everything, then I'm sure you'd gain more respect around the world.

And to say 'Oh, we Americans love you Irish', is another example of stupid...because are we supposed to love you just because you love us? No!

I agree with everything you've said, but, In fairness, look at the idiots and gombeens that our good folks voted in... :p ) Maybe, George Dubya shouldn't be used in the arguement/argument (Spelling???) when we've got Enda in charge... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭bridget84

A secondary school education in Ireland is the equivalent of a college education in the states?? Surely not??

bridget84 wrote: »
    A secondary school education in Ireland is the equivalent of a college education in the states?? Surely not??

i once had someone from the uk tell me earnestly that a uni education here was the same as their a levels
    and a phd here was the same as their degree

:confused:

guess everyone likes to puff themselves up

A leaving certificate is the equivalent of a high school diploma.

According to Universitas 21, the US is ranked #1 in terms of higher education. It makes sense to me because of the level of funding we put into our institutions. Our schools are able to drain the top talent from across the world.

http://www.universitas21.com/article/collaborations/details/70/u21-rankings-of-national-higher-education-systems

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

A leaving certificate is the equivalent of a high school diploma.

....but an american lunch is roughly equivalent to an irish dinner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

i dislike america because it thinks it has the right to police the world

the actual american people, i find, are hit and miss. some are the typical loud, ignorant asshats, while others are fine. pretty much like most countries

i think most people just hate the american superiority complex more than anything else

Nodin wrote: »
    ....but an american lunch is roughly equivalent to an irish dinner.

...but the American dollar is the equivalent of .80 euros.

OUCH!

havent seen any of the course material the study in the states, but here in canada the standard of secondary school education is shocking. it's not that it's taught badly or anything, it's just that the actual level of the stuff is startlingly basic. i suppose that's what happens when you don't have classes grouped by ability

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

...but the American dollar is the equivalent of .80 euros.

OUCH!

The laughing will be on the other side of the faces when Allah empties the Great Satans cookie jars.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭golden lane

god bless america......they are the greatest country in the world......

just can't understand why irish people don't go there to live and work....

they all go to, north korea, russia, iraq, iran, there will be no one left in ireland soon.....

they will have to import mongolians to work for the american company's...

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭paddyandy

I got invited to NY several years ago and i said to myself when i walk down Grafton Street in Dublin that is more than enough of NY that i want to see ....

Nodin wrote: »
    The laughing will be on the other side of the faces when Allah empties the Great Satans cookie jars.

That's nice. Want a whopper with cheese?

Better yet, maybe I will open up a Taco Bell in Dublin. It's 'bout time y'all were introduced to good 'Murican food.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

How high are levels of indoctrination in American Schools? Take for example an average public school.

Helix wrote: »
    havent seen any of the course material the study in the states, but here in canada the standard of secondary school education is shocking. it's not that it's taught badly or anything, it's just that the actual level of the stuff is startlingly basic. i suppose that's what happens when you don't have classes grouped by ability

When it comes to secondary education, the US is ranked higher than Ireland and the UK but much lower than Canada.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/news/datablog/2010/dec/07/world-education-rankings-maths-science-reading

However, in terms of affordability for higher education, Ireland is the second highest rank and I believe the US is the lowest (or near lowest) ranked.

When it comes to secondary education, the US is ranked higher than Ireland and the UK but much lower than Canada.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/news/datablog/2010/dec/07/world-education-rankings-maths-science-reading

However, in terms of affordability for higher education, Ireland is the second highest rank and I believe the US is the lowest (or near lowest) ranked.

i dont think that factors in the actual content of what they're studying to be honest. like the stuff the canadians do over here in their last year of high school is 1st/2nd year stuff in ireland

• Advertisement
Advertisement