Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anti-Americanism in Ireland

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

That's nice. Want a whopper with cheese?

Better yet, maybe I will open up a Taco Bell in Dublin. It's 'bout time y'all were introduced to good 'Murican food.

Good old American food from south of the border....We do need more kentucky frieds though.....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 60 ✭✭pseudofax

When it comes to secondary education, the US is ranked higher than Ireland and the UK but much lower than Canada.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/news/datablog/2010/dec/07/world-education-rankings-maths-science-reading

However, in terms of affordability for higher education, Ireland is the second highest rank and I believe the US is the lowest (or near lowest) ranked.

Bull. Compare the Leaving Certificate to the SAT for college entry comparisons. The ACT and SAT are like something a 12 year old would sit here, hell, the Leaving is probabably more difficult than the A Level's in some respects.

The UK and Canada/Australia are also house a much larger population of atheists than ignorant bible thumping Americans. That alone would signal the average intelligence and Academic expectations are generally higher in those countries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Killer Wench

Helix wrote: »
    i dont think that factors in the actual content of what they're studying to be honest. like the stuff the canadians do over here in their last year of high school is 1st/2nd year stuff in ireland

Content over performance?

Got it.

pseudofax wrote: »
    Bull. Compare the Leaving Certificate to the SAT for college entry comparisons. The ACT and SAT are like something a 12 year old would sit here, hell, the Leaving is probabably more difficult than the A Level's in some respects.

The UK and Canada/Australia are also house a much larger population of atheists than ignorant bible thumping Americans. That alone would signal the average intelligence and Academic expectations are generally higher in those countries.

Bull. And the amount of men walking around in jumpsuits and the amount of women walking around with poor skin care means that Ireland just doesn't have an eye for fashion.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭bridget84

I would imagine that the SAT/ACT exams would be very similar to the Leaving Cert. The only difference is that the SATs/ACTs are multiple choice orientated but require the same amount of work/study as the LC.

bridget84 wrote: »
    I would imagine that the SAT/ACT exams would be very similar to the Leaving Cert. The only difference is that the SATs/ACTs are multiple choice orientated but require the same amount of work/study as the LC.

You imagine nothing, take a look at the multiple choice questions on offer on those exams. Stuff like "find the product of these two numbers" "john has x, mary has twice john's x, compute the total" and other junk.

Americans don't have english exams were writing for 5-6 hours in one day is standard. In short, the education system over there is substandard, and that isn't taking in to consideration the Leaving Cert is still highly flawed.

The SAT and ACT, and GED are piss easy. I am surprised they actually let people into college with these "qualifications".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,036 ✭✭✭✭bnt

On the one hand, I don't believe that the educational standards are that divergent. On the other hand, a few years ago I took the GMAT exam, the one that gets you entry to graduate management programs in the USA, Ireland and other countries. I did very well, and received offers from MBA schools around the world - and that was before I went to UCD for my first undergraduate degree (as a mature student). I could have gone straight from school+experience to a MBA, with no bachelor's degree. (I chose not to.) I take that to mean that you don't need to be that smart to get along in the USA - since I'm not.

PS: America! F**K Yeah!

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

Content over performance?

Got it.

the easier the content the better the performance

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭bridget84

You imagine nothing, take a look at the multiple choice questions on offer on those exams. Stuff like "find the product of these two numbers" "john has x, mary has twice john's x, compute the total" and other junk.

Americans don't have english exams were writing for 5-6 hours in one day is standard. In short, the education system over there is substandard, and that isn't taking in to consideration the Leaving Cert is still highly flawed.

The SAT and ACT, and GED are piss easy. I am surprised they actually let people into college with these "qualifications".

You do not get accepted into college based on these tests alone.Colleges place more emphasis on ones performance throughout high school when it comes to admissions.

bridget84 wrote: »
    You do not get accepted into college based on these tests alone.Colleges place more emphasis on ones performance throughout high school when it comes to admissions.

False. It varies state by state. An American can get into college through a GED. Sure, it may not be as "direct", but then again, most Americans do not enter straight into 4 year college like we do here. It costs far too much. You could pay fees for a ****ty community college that would absolutely swamp what you pay here. Europe wins for access to Education and Quality of Education.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭FullRetard

paddyandy wrote: »
    I got invited to NY several years ago and i said to myself when i walk down Grafton Street in Dublin that is more than enough of NY that i want to see ....
    stop talking sh1te

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

what is our view of America? most Irish people cannot tell the difference between a New Yorker and someone from Pennsylvania. how stupid is that!

we know exactly how Americans are through tv shows, just like Fair city is a true and accurate depiction of Dublin life.

Fuinseog wrote: »
    we know exactly how Americans are through tv shows, just like Fair city is a true and accurate depiction of Dublin life.

more through tv shows like "the news" really

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 963 ✭✭✭NinjaK

what is our view of America? most Irish people cannot tell the difference between a New Yorker and someone from Pennsylvania. how stupid is that!

how stupid is that? Is that a joke?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

no i dont have any hatred towards the states but there will be begrudgers who think when your an american your automatically rich or something :eek: they should try living there and see the struggle for what it is

no i dont have any hatred towards the states but there will be begrudgers who think when your an american your automatically rich or something :eek: they should try living there and see the struggle for what it is

what kind of retard would think that?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

someone like you :pac: btw ,you can get an infraction for using the r word

someone like you :pac: btw ,you can get an infraction for using the r word

like you've just done?

i was asking what kind of retard would believe that everyone in america is rich

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Are we talking Anti Americanism as in hatred of the american people, or Anti americanism as in hatred of America as an entity or a government?

I have no problem whatsoever with American people and I actually really like a lot of them, especially New York girls >_>
    As an entity though I'm utterly sick of America acting as if it rules the world and everyone else must obey its rules. I'm particularly sick of the unbelievable hypocrisy of "If you're pro America you can do what you want, if you're opposed to us you have to follow completely different rules".

Flies utterly in the face of the "all men are created equal" part of the declaration of independence. One need only look at the Middle East situation for proof of that, when Israel kills civilians it's "self defense", when anyone else does it it's a "rogue state".

I really hate it when people mix up the two. Just because I detest the US government and its policies, doesn't mean I have anything against the average American. Would you accuse someone of hating Irish people because he or she thinks Bertie Ahern is a tool?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭sparksfly

Are we talking Anti Americanism as in hatred of the american people, or Anti americanism as in hatred of America as an entity or a government?

I have no problem whatsoever with American people and I actually really like a lot of them, especially New York girls >_>
    As an entity though I'm utterly sick of America acting as if it rules the world and everyone else must obey its rules. I'm particularly sick of the unbelievable hypocrisy of "If you're pro America you can do what you want, if you're opposed to us you have to follow completely different rules".

Flies utterly in the face of the "all men are created equal" part of the declaration of independence. One need only look at the Middle East situation for proof of that, when Israel kills civilians it's "self defense", when anyone else does it it's a "rogue state".

I really hate it when people mix up the two. Just because I detest the US government and its policies, doesn't mean I have anything against the average American. Would you accuse someone of hating Irish people because he or she thinks Bertie Ahern is a tool?

My sentiments exactly.

American people are mostly warm, friendly and inviting to their country.

It is however the worlds biggest terrorist state.
    American foreign policy stinks to high heaven, especially the support it gave and still gives to the most rotten regimes, as long as they implement American policy.
    The Contras in Nicuragura who slaughtered innocent civilians, Saddam Hussain who they armed to the teeth when it suited them, Isreal, Saudi Arabia with its dreadful human rights .

It has a growing extreme right wing element who totally oppose any kind of state support for the less well off while supporting a multi trillion dollar defence budget. At the same time large industry promotes the exporting of most of its manufacturing to third world countries, creating massive unemployment at home while creating a small ultra rich sector.

The carry on of companies like Monsanto and Masterfoods in destroying native food producers in poorer parts of Asia and South America is breath taking.

All this while claiming to be a beacon of hope and freedom for the world.

This, OP is what anyone with an un-brainwashed brain in their head finds intolerable about that country.

NinjaK wrote: »
    how stupid is that? Is that a joke?

Americans are portrayed as being stupid for their lack of Geography. America is massive with very different kinds of people. america is bigger than europe yet most Irish people have a limited knowledge of other eu member states.americans are more interested in banal things like making a living and putting food on the table

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Wattle

Americans are portrayed as being stupid for their lack of Geography. America is massive with very different kinds of people. america is bigger than europe yet most Irish people have a limited knowledge of other eu member states.americans are more interested in banal things like making a living and putting food on the table

Canada is massive too yet most of them seem to have a fairly good grasp of geography. And most Irish people would be able to point out EU member states on a map.

Wattle wrote: »
    Canada is massive too yet most of them seem to have a fairly good grasp of geography. And most Irish people would be able to point out EU member states on a map.

I would struggle to find Estonia and Bulgaria.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

This, combined with 190+ million firearms, and dubious foreign policy.

• Advertisement

I think the nativist riots could be going back a while. we are focused more on the present here.
    as a native English speaker I have often been confused with being an american and suffer the stupidity associated with people who judge someone according to their nationality.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭Tarkus

OP most Irish people love Americans and all Irish hate the English so I dont know where your getting all this from...

America, FU*K YEAH!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

I think the nativist riots could be going back a while. we are focused more on the present here.
    as a native English speaker I have often been confused with being an american and suffer the stupidity associated with people who judge someone according to their nationality.

the op said that america was always welcoming im just pointing out that's not the case

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

kincsem wrote: »
    This, combined with 190+ million firearms, and dubious foreign policy.

It is easy to pick out all of the worst examples of something and make a group of people look bad.

That said...this is still just...extraordinary. My personal favourite:
    "How many sides does a triangle have?"
    "There's no sides. One?"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52 ✭✭MrGeneric

Zillah wrote: »
    It is easy to pick out all of the worst examples of something and make a group of people look bad.

That said...this is still just...extraordinary. My personal favourite:
    "How many sides does a triangle have?"
    "There's no sides. One?"

It's possible she misinterpreted the question, and took it to mean faces, rather than edges.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

I think the USA killed more Native Americans than the number of Jews killed by the nazis, they considered them an inferior race

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,720 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

I like Americans , they have given us so much accessible culture from Rock nRoll to amazing painters and artists , American writers are incredible , without the stuffy elitism of their European peers - and American films from the 30s to early 90s set the trend - I don't like the extreme right wing Tea Party set , but i know , many Americans dont either - its not till you go to America that you get the real idea of what America is about , rather than from tourists and TV

So Happy 4th to All my American friends, and to the Right wing tea party set - lighten up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭golden lane

I think the USA killed more Native Americans than the number of Jews killed by the nazis, they considered them an inferior race

most died from diseases the europeans brought with them......english scots welch irish french spanish italians germans.....disease ridden europeans......

all the above considered the native populations inferior...

mixed together.....they are called americans......

most died from diseases the europeans brought with them......english scots welch irish french spanish italians germans.....disease ridden europeans......

all the above considered the native populations inferior...

mixed together.....they are called americans......

I am not sure if I believe that the Scots, Welsh, and Irish were in a strong position to view Natives as inferior; in many ways, within the first generations of migration, they really occupied the same lower societal rung as Indians. In fact, many people within my tribe "intermarried" with the Scottish and Irish.

This is Chief John Ross who is considered by many to be one of the greatest chiefs of the Cherokee. He was only 1/8th Cherokee and 7/8th Scots.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Ross_(Cherokee_chief)

Each year, there are fiddler contests where you'll hear jigs and reels. Adair is a fairly popular surname within the Cherokee, and Kennedy is popular within the Choctaw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Spread

As inhabitants of a small nation, the Irish empathise with peoples who've been screwed by colonialism. And because of that, they would harbor reservations about any colonial nation .......... be it Britain the US, Russia, or China.
    The Irish are not anti -American (as in American people), they just don't like the fucked up foreign policy of the shower of xenophobes on Capital Hill.
    My thoughts before I came to live here and my thoughts now.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 190E2.516

irish hate american cos they uses different word than us such as vacation and arcade. we hate the annoying american accent and most of all we hate americans cos the majority of them are fat stupid ****s

troll^

• Registered Users Posts: 26 190E2.516

troll^

not a troll ok maybe that isn't why everyone hates american, but there my reasons anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 638 ✭✭✭ferretone

But 190E2.516 that is hating someone for the culture they were raised in. Ergo that is racism, regardless of colour, creed etc being possibly the same. And calling them all fat and stupid really re-inforces this idea.

Personally, I hate the double standard that has incipiently followed from the American ideals, which gradually changed over the different eras, yet keeping the one tenet that whatever America says and does must be right, regardless how their ideology evolves.

What is wrong for the rest of the world must, in a just world, be wrong for America too. Yet we hear so many US commentators say that in a just world America should have nuclear weapons, and no other nation.

Now I am no apologist for war crimes committed in the last century, but it was the US that declared that they were wrong then, yet not so wrong before. They were wrong then, and wrong in the 19th century too. I know it was people from all our countries that went to America and committed atrocities on the indigenous peoples, but it is the decendents of those people who live there now, rather than here, and if the descendants of Germans who did it in the 20th century have had to make restitution to the Jews, the descendants of whatever people moved to America and did it should be making a lot more restitution to the native Americans. And by that I mean the Rockefellers, the Rothschilds, probably the Bushes and so on too, rather than the impoverished taxpayer common man. They may not be the actual person who did the wrong, but they are far closer to it than the common German taxpayer, who was no more born in the 1930's/1940's than those family members were when their fortunes were made, to the detriment of everyone else on that continent, but first and foremost the NAs.

So no, I like Americans as well as the next person. But I do believe their nation has more to answer for than most. A thing that I will never hold against a member of any nation, except those most directly accountable that are around, and that just for not making the accounting, when they have the means to do so.

ferretone wrote: »
    But 190E2.516 that is hating someone for the culture they were raised in. Ergo that is racism, regardless of colour, creed etc being possibly the same. And calling them all fat and stupid really re-inforces this idea.

Personally, I hate the double standard that has incipiently followed from the American ideals, which gradually changed over the different eras, yet keeping the one tenet that whatever America says and does must be right, regardless how their ideology evolves.

What is wrong for the rest of the world must, in a just world, be wrong for America too. Yet we hear so many US commentators say that in a just world America should have nuclear weapons, and no other nation.

Now I am no apologist for war crimes committed in the last century, but it was the US that declared that they were wrong then, yet not so wrong before. They were wrong then, and wrong in the 19th century too. I know it was people from all our countries that went to America and committed atrocities on the indigenous peoples, but it is the decendents of those people who live there now, rather than here, and if the descendants of Germans who did it in the 20th century have had to make restitution to the Jews, the descendants of whatever people moved to America and did it should be making a lot more restitution to the native Americans. And by that I mean the Rockefellers, the Rothschilds, probably the Bushes and so on too, rather than the impoverished taxpayer common man. They may not be the actual person who did the wrong, but they are far closer to it than the common German taxpayer, who was no more born in the 1930's/1940's than those family members were when their fortunes were made, to the detriment of everyone else on that continent, but first and foremost the NAs.

So no, I like Americans as well as the next person. But I do believe their nation has more to answer for than most. A thing that I will never hold against a member of any nation, except those most directly accountable that are around, and that just for not making the accounting, when they have the means to do so.
    no, hes just trolling

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 saladin

Unfortunately it's down to ignorance and lack of education. You probably notice this yourself that you're proportionately less likely to get anti American attitudes from 3rd level people particularly in science backgrounds and from people who have visited the US outside the suburbs of major US cities.

I feel for you buddy. It's also irrational the way we Irish are supposed to hate English people because of history regardless of the fact that there is no one alive today in Britain who has anything to with our colonisation.

And for people who bring up Northern Ireland lests remember that the majority of the population there is still pro Union. In fact I'd say a large segment of the catholic population too because of quality of life differences.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,062 ✭✭✭walrusgumble

Le King wrote: »
    Being Irish-American born in the US to Irish parents this is my point of view on the avid anti-American stance in Ireland.

I find it quite funny and hilariously sad the severe Anti-American stance in Ireland. Some people I meet in Ireland have some sort of hatred towards the States. For what reason, I can't comprehend. It makes no sense at all the fact that a lot of Irish people seem to think it's okay to hate America.

It makes no sense at all. Any Anti-American topic on here seems to go down well, but any topic regarding any any-British content seems to be a taboo subject for you guys.

I can't get my head around this fact that you hate us more than you hate the British. We have been the most accepting country of Irish immigrants, we are the country who love the Irish, yet we're hated.

We have never tried to colonize your country, obviously, yet the Anti-American bias holds stronger than the anti-British bias over here. That point is merely a comparison between ourselves and the British.

Can somebody shed some light on this for me? Why are Americans hated over here?

Any great reasons?

Your Anti American for having a major problem with "your" country's foreign policy and ability to stick it's nose into every economic pie? Not having the balls to tell countries like Israel to cop on? It's Anti American to laugh at some of the notions that Americans take pride in, yet, clearly say one thing but mean and do the other

Jeez

"We have never tried to colonize your country" -

Do you not realise that irony of that comment and America's role in Globalization and capitalism (I am not being critical , just observing - but, in light of its presence in other countries or, even here and the UK, its a stupid comment) . Just complete simplistic nonsense

I am not anti American, America is great (**** yeah) . But sometimes, we don't want Americans pissing and moaning tell us what we should think. And some of us don't have any time for the Bush Attitude of "you'r either with us or against us"

What Anti American Bias are you specifically referring to?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭SamHarris

Wow you should sit them then, Im sure youll be telling us about your scholarship to Yale in no time :rolleyes:

A country doesnt get 78 of the top 100 universities and lead the world in nearly every academic field by being "substandard" - indeed looking at actual statistics its the opposite.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭SamHarris

Your Anti American for having a major problem with "your" country's foreign policy and ability to stick it's nose into every economic pie? Not having the balls to tell countries like Israel to cop on? It's Anti American to laugh at some of the notions that Americans take pride in, yet, clearly say one thing but mean and do the other

Jeez

So people should be ashamed by things their country does but take no pride in its actions either? It should keep its nose out of things and tell countries like Israel to "cop on"?

Do you even see what you did there?
    "We have never tried to colonize your country" -

Do you not realise that irony of that comment and America's role in Globalization and capitalism (I am not being critical , just observing - but, in light of its presence in other countries or, even here and the UK, its a stupid comment) . Just complete simplistic nonsense

You dont know what colonialism is, do you?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colonialism

I am not anti American, America is great (**** yeah) . But sometimes, we don't want Americans pissing and moaning tell us what we should think. And some of us don't have any time for the Bush Attitude of "you'r either with us or against us"

I have a strong feeling Irish media and people have an opinion on how Americans should act and think vastly more often than vica versa.

SamHarris wrote: »
    Wow you should sit them then, Im sure youll be telling us about your scholarship to Yale in no time :rolleyes:

A country doesnt get 78 of the top 100 universities and lead the world in nearly every academic field by being "substandard" - indeed looking at actual statistics its the opposite.

You can get into yale now by taking those exams? What percentage of the total native population of the USA attends these "top" universities? Significantly less than Top European Universities I would imagine, because (a) Honestly, your average American tend to be as dumb as a rock (b) Access to reasonably cheap quality Education in the USA is borderline impossible.

Problem?

• Site Banned Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭paddyandy

When i walk down Grafton Street that is as much of New York as i ever want to see but they have beautiful Countrysides and very dramatic scenery it's the Cities that are Awful . Unfortunately we follow everything from over there and we have the problems they have from the low-life culture we import .We have a far better health service .I prefer here .

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭VEN

Well I can only speak for myself but as a graduate of Trinity college I would have to say that any venom I have for North American English speakers comes purely from their stupidity and inability to walk at normal human pace.

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭VEN

if they could only spray all them poppy fields dead i'd be happy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,149 ✭✭✭ronano

VEN wrote: »
    :confused:

American tourists visiting trinity/book of kells = reason for the comment me thinks good sir

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭PrincessLola

Is anyone here on the blogging site tumblr?? Have you ever tried searching the word 'Irish' and 'Ireland' in the search tags?

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m6p2mlVlHX1qmsptpo1_500.jpg

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m6n3wr9vcp1rsh356o1_500.gif

These are American-made fan tributes to the boyband One Direction.

LOLZ

Advertisement