Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Planning Permission / Estimate for 1st Floor Extension

• 27-06-2010 7:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Apologies if this is not in the right place - I did try. I was wondering if anyone could answer a few preliminary questions for me.

We live in a mid-terrace house in Cork. It's two up, two down with a ground floor, flat roof extension that forms the kitchen, back hall and bath. I'd like to extend the house so that the foot print of the 1st floor covers the foot print of ground floor. While we're at it, I'd like to also maybe extend and convert the attic.

Here are the approximate sizes of the new room additions:

Bed 1: 6.5m2
    Bed 2: 6m2
    Hall: 7m2
    Attic: 14m2

1. If the downstairs has already been extended (and was extended when we bought it), would I need planning permission?

2. How should I roughly estimate the costs so I know if I need to downscale my plans to fit my budget?

3. If I absolutely positively do not want a flat roof on the new build, how much vastly more expensive is a pitched roof? (We've had nothing but bad luck with our current flat roof and I just hate them.)

4. How much should I budget for an architect for this and how do I find and qualify one?

Thank you!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭rayjdav

Yes, you would need permission.
    This is link to the regulations, click on Schedule 2 - Exempted Development in the contents p154. http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/2001/en/si/0600.html#sched2
    Look at column 2 to see exactly where you will exceed the regs.
    Please satisfy yourself from the regs exactly what you require.

Mid terrace is a bugger - reduced areas allowed. Attic has no bearing, only if it were to be habitable, but for 2No. beds and access to same you'd need to make it fair size to be worth while. Those sizes you quote are box-rooms?
    Regardless, combined areas of development cannot exceed stated limits, whether you bought it as so or not.

You get what you pay for re works (roof). In the overall context of a build there is not a hugh amount difference, and imho, you are getting a far safer finished option with pitched/hipped roof.

€€ = Depends on your final spec. Anywhere from €75-150 sqft. I do stand corrected on this though. Each area is different.

Dont understand what you mean by "Qualify" an architect?? :confused: Do you mean good at what he does? Any mates get work done, ask them. Ask a few to come out and inspect existing house and get estimates from then, stating exactly what level of supervision/works they are quoting..
    My two-pence worth anyway...

• Registered Users Posts: 6 DarlingBri

Thank you very much, that's very helpful information to have.

The rooms I'm calling bedrooms would actually be home offices, but yes, they are small. If I'm reading the regulations correctly, they mean we can only add a maximum of 12m2 to the foot print of the house anyway, correct?

That's interesting about the attic, that it doesn't "count" against the regulated square footage, and wonderful news about the hipped roof.

Thanks again, I appreciate it.

Advertisement