Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can anyone recommend fun/interesting things to do/see from on the east coast of oz?

Options
  • 27-06-2010 7:32am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 810 ✭✭✭

Going to be travelling up the coast, but really haven't a clue what to do/see along the way, can anyone recommend anything? Obviously going to be doing the usual kind of stuff like seeing the Sydney opera house but if anyone can recommend any lesser known things to see or cool places to go can you let me know.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Vorsprung

The whales are passing up along the Queensland coast now,there's some beaches near Brisbane where if you're lucky, you can get a decent view of them doing their tricks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

Byron Bay, Minyon Falls, Spend a weekend at least there, but have a spare week in cas you really like it.
    Surfers Paradise - give it a mad weekend , then get outta there
    Noosa is a lovely little town if you enjoy beach life and ar$ing around drinking coffee, Eumundi markets are close, and definitely worth a look on a Saturday morning. There isn't that much in Brisbane itself unless you're going to stick around for a while, some museums and galleries, its a nice little city, but no major tourist must do's or must see's. The Waterparks in the gold coast are good for a laugh. Stradbroke island is a great place to go with a group of friends, Fraser Island is amazing, an absolute must see. I'll put up more if I think of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Vorsprung

Sorry I thought you said free things in your OP!

Few good tips there from Angry Hippie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 810 ✭✭✭gonedrinking

thanks for the suggestions so far, keep em coming if theres any more :) Yeah definitely going to go to surfers paradise and noosa, and hopefully frasier island although I'll be going to whitsundays anyway so probably isn't much different?

Vorsprung I've been saving for this holiday for ages so money isn't an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭Funkstard

thanks for the suggestions so far, keep em coming if theres any more :) Yeah definitely going to go to surfers paradise and noosa, and hopefully frasier island although I'll be going to whitsundays anyway so probably isn't much different?

Vorsprung I've been saving for this holiday for ages so money isn't an issue.

They are very different and it's very important you go to both. Absolute highlight of the east coast.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 810 ✭✭✭gonedrinking

I've heard loads of people say they were tortured by the marsh flies on frasier island, was it bad when you were there?

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭starfish12

Check out www.peterpans.com, they are aimed at backpackers, and offer loads of variations of trips up the east coast. (and other parts of oz)

If you book a few different trips instore they offer really good discounts, we got a great deal on a 5 day surf camp from sydney to byron, fraser island, whitsundays, cape tribulation, scooteroo in agnes water, magnetic island all in one when we visited the office in melbourne. You dont even have to specify your dates in advance which we found really useful.

Even if you don't book anything with them check out the website, it will give you a great insight into the kinds of activities on offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

I've heard loads of people say they were tortured by the marsh flies on frasier island, was it bad when you were there?

Yeah the mud flies can be a bit of a bastard, but you won't even remember how bad they seemed a week later, bring plenty of DEET and mozzie coils with your camping gear, and don't flute around after dark, You'll be 'roight

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭irishturkey

Nimbin. That is all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Anyone else use PeterPans travel for their trip? We're trying to keep costs as low as possible, so anyone get some good value with them? We'll probs go with the greyhound bus if it's cheap. Lookin to meet lots of other travelers, hopefully shag a few of them, etc. The usual !

Any advice appreciated. Would like to see any do as much as possible, but we're looking at probably having around $4,000 saved by the time we want to go.

• Advertisement
Advertisement