Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best long range hunting rifle

Options
  • 27-06-2010 11:13am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Hello all and thanks in advance for the help.
    Looking for a long range hunting rifle used primarily for deer hunting, I am considering a Remington model 700 308 xcr tactical long range or a Steyr SSG 04 308 cal. Any pros. cons or a better choice??
    I have taken deer out to 400 hundred yards and can consider myself a pretty good shot. Have shot good groups at targets out to 700-800 yds.(Not my rifle)
    Your knowledge and assistance will be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks Again

OLDSARGE

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

Looking for a long range hunting rifle used primarily for deer hunting, I am considering a Remington model 700 308 xcr tactical long range or a Steyr SSG 04 308 cal. Any pros. cons or a better choice??
    I have taken deer out to 400 hundred yards and can consider myself a pretty good shot. Have shot good groups at targets out to 700-800 yds.(Not my rifle)
    Thanks Again

OLDSARGE

if your looking to talk about shooting deer at over 400 yards ,try a different forum or the pub .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭poulo6.5

Thanks Again

OLDSARGE

hi and welcome to boards.
    i would favor the steyr out of the box but if you want to spend more money on after market upgrades i'd say you might want the remmy.
    have you considered the sako trg.
    if you are looking to kill cleanly at long range then maybe you need something like a 300 win mag or bigger
    tikka tactical comes in .223 .308 and .300 win mag. and they are accurate (i have the .223 version)
    having said that i dont advise taking deer at long range as they are not paper targets and tend to move.
    if a deer was to move just as you pull the trigger even slowly you will miss or even worse you will wound the animal.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

jwshooter wrote: »
    if your looking to talk about shooting deer at over 400 yards ,try a different forum or the pub .

I always shoot better down at the pub.

And after yesterdays outing I think I'll stay down the pub.
    I was getting beaten @300m using my 308 (shoots sub 1/2MOA) by a man and his 22lr :eek:. He hit a 12" metal plate more times than I did. :o

I'm going home and never going out again. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

Thanks Again

OLDSARGE

It is frowned upon in Deer shooting circles to exceed 300 yards on a deer.(perhaps Varminting might be your happy medium)

If you want to shoot Targets and to shoot deer either rifle.
    I'm a Remington Man but I have fired a lot of styers and they are very good, I just don't like their style, personal opinion.

The optimum range for deer is 50-150, out to 300 if you are very experienced and have the equipment & skills to do so.

But welcome to boards!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭tomcat220t

clivej wrote: »
    I always shoot better down at the pub.

And after yesterdays outing I think I'll stay down the pub.
    I was getting beaten @300m using my 308 (shoots sub 1/2MOA) by a man and his 22lr :eek:. He hit a 12" metal plate more times than I did. :o

I'm going home and never going out again. :mad:
    Hi clive,enjoyed yesterday.Sean with his little finnfire .22lr was good to watch....And that was in 10-15mph wind:D:D:D.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,703 ✭✭✭deerhunter1

yep I agree the best advice that can be given:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 LongGun

Taking shots at deer beyond 300y says more about your ability to stalk than your ability to shoot.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13 Simo Hayha

Sako 75 in 30 06 in short.
    will do what you require out to 700 mtrs with the correct scope and conditions

• Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭packas

I started deer stalking in 2000. The longest shot I've ever taken was at 180m. That being said I know my old Sako 75 0.270Win was capable of one hole groups at 200m. 200m + I kept for the range. There's a reason it's called deer stalking & not deer sniping :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭poulo6.5

packas wrote: »
    I started deer stalking in 2000. The longest shot I've ever taken was at 180m. That being said I know my old Sako 75 0.270Win was capable of one hole groups at 200m. 200m + I kept for the range. There's a reason it's called deer stalking & not deer sniping :D

well said;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭GixxerThou

packas wrote: »
    Surely its what your into?? I love nothin more than stalking into less than 100 yrds and shooting a deer that hasnt seen me... BUT I also get a great buzz out of killing one at 300 yrds +. If you have the tools and the ability to do it correctly and the conditions are suitable then why not?? Just my two pence worth

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭jimmy5694

Thanks Again

OLDSARGE
    Would a .2250 be suitable for taking deer?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

Sarge,
    What kind of funds are we talking? Give us an idea. As soon as I hear names like Sig, Steyr, or H&K I usually think money isn't the most important objective.

Easy JW, I understand where the Sarge is coming from. Perhaps, he, as I, just find the sub 200ya shots too easy. Although, I am not comfortable with 400+, I do like the 300ya range.

Also, you do not know where the sarge lives. There are plenty of deer sized targets throughout the world that present themselves, at best, at 400ya. Was told myself that if I couldn't take a 400ya shot, stay home. No stalker could get close to them on the plains.

I would check the prices on the Remington Custom shop. Probably still cheaper than an out of the box Steyr.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭ormondprop

i reckon this thread is dead considering it was his 1 and only post and it was from june

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

ormondprop wrote: »
    i reckon this thread is dead considering it was his 1 and only post and it was from june

And JW was banned shortly after :eek:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement