Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone got a recipe for Strawberry Mascarpone Cream Cake?

Options
  • 27-06-2010 11:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 16

I had these recently at a restaurant. They were individual cakes with the thinnest, lightest slivers of sponge top and bottom and with fresh strawberries and a whipped mascarpone cream filling in the middle.

I've searched the web and I can find recipes for large cakes with a similar filling but I don't think that these would stand up to being assembled in a mould as I believe that the filling would be too creamy and flop out. Perhaps some gelatine is called for.

If anyone knows what I am talking about and has a suitable recipe I'd love to have it.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Magic Monkey

For the sponge a chiffon type is good, as it's moist yet slices easily with minimum crumbs. There's a good recipe here.

For the cream, here's a recipe:

Mascarpone Cream Filling

Ingredients:

3/4 tsp gelatine powder or 3/4 of a gelatine leaf
    150ml sweet marsala/madeira/sherry
    3 large egg yolks
    85g sugar
    240ml double cream
    227g mascarpone, at room temperature

Method:

1. Soak the gelatine powder/leaf in 30ml of the alcohol, and leave to one side.
    2. Whisk the remaining alcohol, egg yolks and sugar over a double-boiler until thickened, like a sabayon. Remove from heat and whisk until cool (this can be done in a stand mixer too, at medium speed.)
    3. Whisk the cream until stiff. Stir the egg mixture into the soft mascarpone, then fold in the whipped cream.
    4. Heat the gelatine until fully dissolved. Ad some of the cream mixture to temper it, then fold quickly into the overall mixture. Use at once.

You don't necessarily have to bother with the egg yolks and alcohol. You can just soak the gelatine in water, cream the sugar and mascarpone together, then fold in the whipped cream and tempered gelatine. It's important to use double cream, as the higher fat content helps stabilise the mixture too.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 notnigella

Cheers Magic Monkey, will definitely give this a go.

Advertisement