Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Update vs. replace dilemma

Options
  • 27-06-2010 11:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭

I've a Garmin 250 that I got about 18 months ago and availed of the then-new updated maps. Since then its not been updated and there are obviously several new road updates since. Garmin are charging £50 for a once-off update or £100 for lifetime update.

The problems are that the current version of maps doesn't seem to include a fair few of the new roads in the south east, so I'm not sure about paying just for that one. The lifetime update seems comparatively good value but, if the unit dies or gets nicked, I can't transfer the subscription to the replacement unit (or can I?).

So do I bite the bullet and update the maps? Or are there other makes with similar or better standard of mapping/usability that don't charge as much for updates?

Comments

Advertisement