Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dun laoghaire - The east pier ?

Options
  • 27-06-2010 11:37am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭

Or the pier in general.

trying to settle a debate on it.

1) is the pier private property thats just open to the public ?

I ask cos i say its a private company that built the pier and its private property and that the owners/whatever have the right to dismiss you from the premisses ... would i be right ?

the other side say that its a public place and we can't be moved.

2) The habour police, are they actually law enforcement people ?

I say there are because they have a white ford transit connect with a big green stripe and a blue siren on top, but i don't think they can do as much as gardai.

the others say they are not real police and can't do anything.

all help and info appreciated people.

thank you.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

It's a state harbour run by the Dun Laoghaire Harbour Company AFAIK. So in theory private property (and can be shut down during times of emergency). The Harbour Police would probably have the same powers as Airport Police.

I'm not sure about Ireland, but I know in the UK harbour/port police have full constabulary powers.

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭blossom180

harbour police are the garda.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,506 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

as other have said its owned by the DL Harbour co and the police have (almost) as much power as the Gardai. They can and will move you on if drinking and making a nuiscence etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭robbie_998

Cheers lads for the reply's.

Just more curiosity than anything else.

don't really do much there other than lay in the grass chatting and stuff.

no alcohol for us thanks.

thanks all

• Registered Users Posts: 24,506 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

yeah, in practice they're never around to do anything about all the drunks and junkies anyway, they usually hangout just behind the old toilet block but are realativly quite and un offensive.

and there's always this old guy in a powered wheelchair sitting down the end of the pier sipping heineken, bright red he is :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

blossom180 wrote: »

No, I heard that they have to be accompanied by a member of An Garda Siochana when they arrest someone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

blossom180 wrote: »
    Not at all, they are only "want to be police" just like Airport security, none of them have ever served their time at Templemore training ctr, they do not have the same search or arrest powers as Gardai. If they suspected that someone was up to no good they would have to call in the Gardai just as Airport police do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭brayblue24

The Harbour Police have extensive powers under the Harbour Bye Laws and they can arrest/detain but only until the arrival of Gardai. They can not prosecute but act as witnesses in prosecutions taken by Gardai.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭Alpha Papa

Not at all, they are only "want to be police" just like Airport security, none of them have ever served their time at Templemore training ctr, they do not have the same search or arrest powers as Gardai. If they suspected that someone was up to no good they would have to call in the Gardai just as Airport police do.

+1 Brayblue 24

The Harbour Police have statute powers and powers granted under byelaws.

Just because members of Harbour or Airport Police for that matter hasnt served time in templemore doesnt not make policemen in there own right it just makes them not a member of the Gardai as simple as.

Hope that clears it up for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭ian_m

The piers are owned by the State. Harbour Police are not Gardai but they do have the power to arrest.

The Harbour comes under legislation named Harbours Act, 1996 which states:

"A company may make bye-laws with respect to the use of, and the safety of navigation within, its harbour and generally with respect to the regulation of its harbour and property."

This company is called Dún Laoghaire Harbour Company.

These by-laws are listed here.

PART VI deals directly with Harbour Police, Public Areas etc, which states:
    "The Harbour Police are authorised by the Company to police the Harbour and to enforce and implement Bye-Laws within the Harbour, and all regulations made by the Company in relation to the Harbour. While within the Harbour, a person shall not obstruct or impede or refuse to comply with a request or direction of a member of the Harbour Police, or any other Company employee acting in the exercise of his duties."

• Advertisement
Advertisement