Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to begin upgrading GeForce 7300 LE and RAM?

Options
  • 27-06-2010 12:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭

I would like to upgrade my graphics card and my memory which is currently only 1GB and I'm wondering where to begin.

Will I need a new motherboard etc? How much graphics and memory do I need to play the latest games on decent settings, and how much will this cost me?

Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Tell us what CPU, motherboard and PSU you currently have. Your monitor size and maximum resolution would help too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭runswithascript

Solitaire wrote: »
    Tell us what CPU, motherboard and PSU you currently have. Your monitor size and maximum resolution would help too.

model name : Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU 4300 @ 1.80GHz

Because of the CPU I understand it must be an LGA775 motherboard which came with my Dell a few years ago.

Current LCD's 19" with a max resolution of 1280x1024.

1 GB of RAM.

I've learned I will probably also need a new CPU as the entry level Core 2 Duo won't get me very far. A whole new build would be great but costly and I wonder could I just get by keeping the board, upgrading the CPU to an Intel Pentium E6300 / 2.8 GHz @ €75 and say a graphics card for about the same price? Maybe a Gainward GeForce GT 240 which is on special at the moment for €75, or would a non DX11 card be an unsound investment?

I know that with PCI-Express I can at least take it with me when I upgrade the board in the future, which I unfortunately won't be able to do with the CPU, but what about RAM should I choose to upgrade that also?

Is there somewhere I can compare graphics cards, say I want to compare a €75 nVidia with a similarly priced ATI?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭runswithascript

Or maybe I should just wait til I have €1000 to spend and just build a HTPC and avoid throwing good money after bad?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

You might not need anywhere near a grand for a decent new build but if we're talking some old Dell here you might indeed be better off with a new build unless your budget was very limited :o

Advertisement