Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it possible to switch from Eircom to Ntl without paying any fees to Eircom??

• 27-06-2010 1:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32

I just moved house recently, my phone line and broadband work on new adress already. But I found out that on my new adress NTL broadband is available so I could get 30mb broadband istead of 7mb for the same price...Now I ring eircom and tell them that I want to close m account after remaining 3 months of my old contract, but woman says that for new adress if I move house I am on new contract. As I haven't signed anything yet, I tell her that and she says that doesnt matter, I had moved house, did it aon the phone and phone call is recorded and I am already on new contract....I dont have to say how I am pissed off with eircom. Is it anyway to swith it and avoid paying any fees to eircom?? Is it legal to say I am on new contract despite the fact that I havent signed anything yet??

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

It's a new contract.

You'll have to pay a cancellation fee.

Next time do your research before hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 pablop

Hey my fault I didnt do reasearch...How much is cancellation fee??

Probably in the region of €100.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Agreement over the phone counts as signing a contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 pablop

watty wrote: »
    Agreement over the phone counts as signing a contract.

Thats really weird that they dont have my signature and they can claim I am on new contract.
    Apart from this 100€ fee would i have to pay remaining 11 months from contract??or just fee and I am free from eircom??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Tell them you want to hear the recording, if they fail to produce then hit them with an FOI request then they have to and if they can't find the recording then end of contract... You might just be quicker paying them their blood money!

Tell them you want to hear the recording, if they fail to produce then hit them with an FOI request then they have to and if they can't find the recording then end of contract... You might just be quicker paying them their blood money!
    What will getting the recording achieve?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

Switching address is a new contract with Eircom?!
    Damn!

So glad I'm gone to UPC.
    I move address about once a year at the moment, and UPC don't insist on a new contract in the new address, they just transfer you over if it's available there.

Do other providers insist on a new year too?
    Never heard of this before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Do other providers insist on a new year too?
    Never heard of this before.

Most do, yes, because of the cost involved in switching you over to the new address. It's different for UPC, because you just bring the modem and plug it in (as long as the cable segment is broadband ready). With DSL, there's work required in the exchange (by eircom) and this needs to be paid for. If they let people move around whenever they wanted, the cost to the ISPs would mount up.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

pablop wrote: »
    Thats really weird that they dont have my signature and they can claim I am on new contract.
    Apart from this 100€ fee would i have to pay remaining 11 months from contract??or just fee and I am free from eircom??

Does anyone actually physically sign for anything anymore?????

And I am sure if companies did insist on getting forms signed people would be moaning about further delays in getting connected etc etc.

(Having said that there is a lot to be said for actually physically signing forms and knowing exactly what we are commiting ourselves to.)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

What will getting the recording achieve?

If they have no recording then they have no basis to tie you to an imaginary contract as nothing was signed, it works both ways time to use it to your advantage.

Advertisement