Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buzz in Philadelphia?

• 27-06-2010 2:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 601 ✭✭✭

Any one been to Philly that could recommend anything they went to/ate at/drank in etc???

I'm moving there next month and wouldn't mind having some stuff to do in mind for when I arrive.

Cheers guys!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭cheesehead

Hi RCN - just saw you question and thought I might take a stab at it.

I preface this response by saying I moved from Philly about six years ago, but I lived there for several years and have numerous family/friends in the city and surrounding area. Also, I like Philly, so there is some bias in my response.

Much depends on your age/living situation. I feel Philly's a very good town for young folks/recent college grads. While not nearly as big or cosmopolitan like a Manhattan or even Chicago, it affords that type of lifestyle if you're looking for it. Also, it's not nearly as expensive as Manhattan (much cheaper rents), so one has more discretionary income.

Philly, like most cities, is "all about the neighborhood". I prefer the Center City neighborhood (and neighborhoods surrounding Center City). Everything is close enough one doesn't need a car (or it's a short taxi ride away - much like Dublin). I imagine where you'll be working/studying plays a role in the decision where you live. A neighborhood that caters to the younger/single set, but is not in the Center City vicinity, is Manayunk. The 'Yunk can be quite fun, but I feel the location lends itself to having a car.

Regarding places to see/eat out at/drink at, it really depends on what your interests are. There are some really good restaurants/bars/clubs all over the downtown area (and farther afield - like Manayunk). Regarding the Irish scene, Philly has its Irish pubs and Irish music scene (Fado and Irish Times are two such places in Center City area). One thing I would recommend is attempting to get down to the Jersey Shore before Labor Day (September 6th this year). Many folks leave out of the city during the summer weekends and head "down the Shore" (as the locals say). It's about 1.5 hours east of Philly (depending on traffic and where you are heading). Sea Isle City has a very lively young folks scene during the summer months. If offered, I would definitely recommend going "down the Shore". Besides the typical destinations (Independence Hall, Art Museum, Liberty Bell, etc...), I would recommend trying something a little off the beaten path: The Mutter Museum. It's a medical museum in Center City, but has some interesting displays. The Franklin Institute is also very cool.

Sorry for the length, but hopes that helps.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,267 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Be sure to have a cheese steak sandwich and sticky bun. Plus, I seem to remember that there is no tax on clothing in Pennsylvania.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 601 ✭✭✭RCNPhotos

Cheers guys.

Yeah I'm just out of college. I'm living in Manayunk for the first month then going to hopefully find a place close enough to center city or maybe Uni City.

I defo want to check out the Jersey Shore haha and do some photo projects there.

As for the Mutter Museum, had a guest lecturer in college who did work there so that's defo on my list of places to check out as well.

Cheers for the suggestions!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭cheesehead

Glad to help RCN!

As I said, the 'Yunk is definitely fun and caters towards your age range. My sister lived in University City for four years and really enjoyed it - has some nice eating spots and bars.

Not to alarm you, but as I'm sure you have heard, Philly has some rough neighborhoods as well. I worked in the heart of North Philly for four years and can attest its reputation is quite real. I'm not saying don't visit these neighborhoods (like anywhere, 90% of the people are good people). In fact, I think visiting these areas would give you a "real" feel to the plight of inner-city America. This is not a racial thing either - Philly has white ghetto areas just as it has ghettos predominately filled with people of color. It sounds like you are a photographer/photo-journalist and these areas offer tremendous material. That said, touring with someone who knows the area after you have gotten a bit of the "lay of the land" would be recommended. Also, when looking at new neighborhoods to move into, be sure to ask a local who really knows just how safe the area is. That super cheap rent might be so for a reason.

If interested, a group I worked with in the Kensington neighborhood (North Philly) is called St. Francis Inn (can be found on the web). Really solid people doing really solid work. If so inclined, you might want to give a shot at volunteering in their soup kitchen - I think you would greatly enjoy the experience. Historically, Kensington was a very Irish-American neighborhood (my brother-in-law hails from there), but its fortunes have turned over the last 25 years or so. The movie Rocky was predominately filmed in Kensington. Anyway, just some thoughts. Enjoy the journey!

Advertisement