Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Long term illness, fatigue and boredom

Options
  • 27-06-2010 2:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭

Hi,

My mother has recently been diagnosed with non Hodgkin lymphoma and is currently going through treatment for it (chemo). The chemo has begun to take it's toll on her energy levels, and it obviously involves sitting around a lot at home or being in bed. There's family members around as much as we can but obviously there's going to be times when she will be alone and possibly bored at home, which I was worrying might not be good for her spirits.

I was just wondering if anyone in similar situations had any suggestions for some hobbies or activities that might help pass the time for her, apart from the usual TV or reading? If you've been through similar illness how did you cope? what helped you?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭CathyMoran

Am an oesophageal cancer survivor. I was so drained from chemo that with my good times I just wanted to get out and about - I watched a lot of dvds while having the chemo, read all the womens magazines but I found books too heavy as my head was scrambled...I always had things to look forward to (in my case, helping to plan my wedding, went to a fair in the RDS, meeting family for a cup of coffee (I got taxi's in as I tried to minimize infection)), I went to the Irish Cancer Society's yoga (though I did not like that) and got the makeup thing (sorry, I forget). I hope that this helps.

I lived every second, enjoyed my family (I still do) - in terms of motivation, well I am stubborn!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

One of the best things is the internet, and a laptop that can be used in bed could make all the difference in terms of how isolated a person feels.

If your mother doesn't use a computer, then knitting or crochet perhaps? If she has nobody to knit for, baby clothes and baby blankets are simple to make and can be given to charity shops.

For anyone very debilitated, audio books can be a godsend. Most libraries have a good range. I hope your mother has a speedy recovery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭PrimalTherapy

If using a laptop in bed a good idea is to get a tray to like this to put it on. It takes weight off user and it provides a flat surface for the laptop which, if it sinks down into bed covers, can overheat.

Good wishes to you mum.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭anotherfinemess

I did interferon for a whole year. Was too weak and discombobulated to read, knit, or concentrate on anything for long. Spent most of my time catching up on movies and making friends with mary-jane. I'd recommend a big pile of DVDs and audio books for your mum. Best of luck to her.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭krankykitty

Thanks for all the ideas, food for thought!

• Advertisement
Advertisement