Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Painting external (porch) PVC door + frame...

• 27-06-2010 3:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭

I know this questions been asked 100 times, but does anyone have any strong opinions or suggestions? I've had a read around online but a lot of the info is from a few years ago.

The door is an atrocious grey/blue and I'd simply like to paint it black. I've heard Dulux do a UPVC paint but it only comes in white. I've also heard people talk about primers, adhesives, etc. If there was a simple enough solution where I could just apply a coat or two directly, that be great.

Any other advice welcomed (e.g. Do I need to time my painting with good weather? :))!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

First thing to do is give the whole outside of frame&door a good wash down with sugar soap or white spirits....Remember now once you paint it, it will probably need reguarly painting even more so than a normal door.

Get the Pvc primer coat door, then white undercoat, mix some black gloss in with your white undercoat to make a grey. Coat door a few times sanding in between coats, if you need to fill gaps use decorators caulk and leave for over a day to cure before applying undercoat to touch caulk up. Then after all your prep is done, gloss your door first thing in the morning so it will have time to dry. Try and not leave undercoat over a few days as it gets slippy or looses its grip when your applying your finish.

Try if you can to take off any rubber seals from side of door...

Goodluck...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭WetDaddy

Thanks for the tips!

Do you've any idea if the UPVC paint I mentioned is available and if it's suitable?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 137 ✭✭kitser

black will make it swell up in the heat.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

WetDaddy wrote: »
    Thanks for the tips!

Do you've any idea if the UPVC paint I mentioned is available and if it's suitable?
    bin prime it first,then gloss it.job done

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭CBYR1983

I bought a coloured pvc composite door a year or so ago.

One of the guys I got a quote from told me that if I ever wanted to paint it that he gets upvc door paint from some supplier in Southampton.

It might be a bit of a stretch.

If you want to do it properly I would recommend that you ask a manufacturer of pvc doors for their advice. There's a place called New World Developments up north who manufacturered my door. You could try them for a recommendation. Last thing you want is for the paint to peel off and make it look even worse - very possible if not appopriately primed.

Good luck.

• Advertisement
Advertisement