Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*10 minute loan of an angle grinder/disc cutter*

Options
  • 27-06-2010 5:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭

Strange title, I know. But its to the point.
    I've been clamped in a gated(gate always open) estate, just beside our apartments.I had a sign in the window with my apartment number, and they didn't make any attempt to contact me.

I need to cut through a single chain link in order to remove the clamp.
    I would rent/hire an angle grinder from a hire shop, but they're closed today.

If all comes to all, I will wait until the morning. But i'm hoping that a boardsie may be able to help out. I could really do with being able to use my car later this evening and tomorrow evening.

I'm not trying to start a discussion on whether this is the right thing to do or not. I've already decided to do this, just asking if someone can lend me the tool. It would have to be battery-pack powered, as can't plug it in anywhere.

Oh yeah, and i'll throw whoever it is, a few quid for their generosity.

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭DubMedic

Who owns the clamp?. E.g. Private clamping/DCC Clamping?.

And just so you know, boards.ie does not allow discussion of criminal activity.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭smartblaa

Its a private clamping company.
    Its not a Dublin City Corporation clamp.

As per my original post, i'm not looking for a discussion on whether this is the right thing to do or not. I've already decided to do this, just asking if someone can lend me the tool. Otherwise i'll be hiring one in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,318 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Your location might help...

Not your ornery onager

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

You need the services of Angle Grinder Man... (not a joke)

agm.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭sellerbarry

Snips would be better. Less noise. One snip and you're done.;)

• Advertisement

esel wrote: »
    Your location might help...

Oh yeah, sorry.
    I'm in Stoneybatter.

If anyone can help, i'll give my full address.
    (just in case any clampers are listening in)

Snips would be better. Less noise. One snip and you're done.;)

That did cross my mind, but its a thick enough chain.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

But Angle Grinder Man is free!

angle_grinder_man_(2003).jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

Hope you get the required help needed!

Nice to see somebody get one over on the clampers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭sellerbarry

Ok, i didn't tell you, but here goes.
    Jack up wheel which is clamped.
    Let all air out of tyre.
    Take off clamp.
    Change tyre.
    Bobs your uncle.;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 606 ✭✭✭baaaa

You only get one over on them as long as you don't damage the clamp.

Does that still work,where you leave a sign in your car window and they let you off?:D

Ok, i didn't tell you, but here goes.
    Jack up wheel which is clamped.
    Let all air out of tyre.
    Take off clamp.
    Change tyre.
    Bobs your uncle.;)

Cheers sellerbarry,
    If it was that easy, I wouldn't be on my "Plan B - The angle grinder"
    As you can see from picture, the chain is looped through the wishbone

2mquets.jpg

baaaa wrote: »
    Does that still work,where you leave a sign in your car window and they let you off?:D

Well my apartment is like 10 metres away, so I had hoped they would be courteous enough to buzz me.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭europhile

Mmm. My bet is that they will report you to the police for criminal damage.

smartblaa wrote: »
    Well my apartment is like 10 metres away, so I had hoped they would be courteous enough to buzz me.
    really?courteous clampers?:eek:
    You are probably going through the first set of emotions that everybody goes through after being clamped,perfectly natural.:D

europhile wrote: »
    Mmm. My bet is that they will report you to the police for criminal damage.

Well, it looks like they may have scratched one of my alloys putting it on, so it'd make my day if they persued me on it. Anyway, its just one chain link i have to cut. I can get it welded and then return it to their offices

Haha the auld scratched my alloy trick,sure they were spotless before the clampers, not a scratch,your honor.
    The link bit is also probably very true,they won't mind cause it's only a link :D
    If you can't figure out how to take it off without damaging it then you pay for a new clamp I believe.

So, is there anyone on who could be in a position to help me out?

:D

..as I said before, i'll throw ye a few quid for yer troubles

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭TheInquisitor

Sure all he has to do is dump the clamp afterwards and when they come a calling say he doesnt know anything about it. Sure they cant prove otherwise. Anyone could have taken it off....lots of good samaritians out there :D

Just as a regular guy, and not as a cop, can you post a few more close-up pics without revealing anything personal? I detest the practice of clamping as well for the record. There has to be a way... somehow...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭europhile

Sure all he has to do is dump the clamp afterwards and when they come a calling say he doesnt know anything about it. Sure they cant prove otherwise. Anyone could have taken it off....lots of good samaritians out there :D

NCPS takes date-stamped photographs of the offending vehicle.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,318 ✭✭✭✭Esel

europhile wrote: »
    NCPS takes date-stamped photographs of the offending vehicle.
    Which wound prove that there was a clamp on the car at that time, not that the OP subsequently removed it.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Regardless of what you said in your first post you are still asking for assistance in a potentially criminal act. Off to the tool hire shop tomorrow with you. Thread closed.

HB

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement