Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Setting up a bank account

Options
  • 27-06-2010 6:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭

Just got a job and I was told i need to set up a bank account. I'm going to go with Permenant TSB.

Just a few questions.

I am 17 yrs old can I set up the account myself?

Will a letter from CAO or acceptance into a PLC do?

And my passport is out of date since May, can I still use this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭James_LWAU

Anyone?

I set up my AIB account in 1997 at age 13, had a proper ATM card and all. I'd say you might need parental supervision but I couldn't say for sure. I did at the time anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭gogo

Your passport will need to be in date, if you dont have any id with your photo (passport/drivers licence/age card) you can get an ML10 form from the guards, bring two passport pictures with you, and go to a station in your home town. Its free and takes two minutes to get it.

You also need proof of address, your cao letter should cover this. If issued this year.

Are you going to college, or is this a full time permanent job
    if you are planning on college, you can get a third level acccount, it will have reduced fee's and lower rates of interest if borrowing later on. If its is a third level account, shop around in different banks, most banks offer incentives to open third level account, such as free flights etc. Might be a bit early for the offers now tho. Also some banks are a bit sticky on weather they allow plc courses to be considered as 'third level'. so again shop around.

At 17, you will be able to open an account, but you will not be able to have lending facilities (loan/overdraft) until you are 18, regardless of what type of account you open.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 cazzycaz

Yes you can open an account in your own right. You will need proof of address usually a recent utility bill, photo i.d ie passport (in date) or driving licence. You will also need your pps no. You do not need your parents permission or help.

If you have an account , maybe a child savings account in a bank this can be easily converted to a teen account and then when you are 18 to an adults account.

Hope this helps.:)

Cheers

Only thing is my passport is out of date 1 month? Will this be accepted or what else can I use?

As for proof of address, A letter from CAO should do yeah?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 48 cazzycaz

No passport prob won't be accepted you will need driving licence, national id card or garda id. Yeah they should accept cao letter.

If I take my birth cert and the out of date passport will this do? because i'm unsure of what other forms of ID to use? I've no garda age card as i'm not 18 and I don't have a driving license:confused:

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,920 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

No, the birth cert won't do because there is no picture on it. If you are using your passport as proof of ID, then it HAS to be in date. Even if you bring in your birth cert, the bank will not accept an out of date passport as ID to open an account, you'll need to get your passport reissued and use the new one.

ffs thats a joke i'm due wages into my account and now I have to wait a few weeks :mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭talkin

i think when i opened my account they needed two proofs of address

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭finnteme

I opened my bank account at Permanent TSB 3 weeks ago, and it was opened instantly, got sort nr+acc.nr etc with me.

I had my valid passport and proof of address (Eircom bill) with me.

They did propably somekind of creditcheck, since we had to wait couple of minutes to get the account approved, but after that it was really fast procedure.
    And can really recommend Grafton Street branch in Dublin, really nice personal there!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

James_LWAU wrote: »
    ffs thats a joke i'm due wages into my account and now I have to wait a few weeks :mad::mad::mad:

Should have done this a while ago tbh!

Have you not had a bank account before now??

Go to a Garda station and get a Garda ID. You will have to wait a couple of weeks for a passport, and if you have no drivers license, this will be your only option.

Oh, and I'd check with the bank that your CAO form will do as proof of address. Some banks can be sticky on what they will accept as proof of address.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,920 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Hardly a joke, it's government legislation and it's there for a reason. Preventing people from money laundering is the main reason.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Should have done this a while ago tbh!

Have you not had a bank account before now??

Go to a Garda station and get a Garda ID. You will have to wait a couple of weeks for a passport, and if you have no drivers license, this will be your only option.

Oh, and I'd check with the bank that your CAO form will do as proof of address. Some banks can be sticky on what they will accept as proof of address.
    Don't you have to wait weeks for a Garda I.D too? They won't just give you one there on the spot.

Got the account set up in the end :D Had to go with a parent who had to show a drivers license. I was told that it would take 2 days for the pin to be sent out, I am due wages tomorrow can I still access them without a pin?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Got the account set up in the end :D Had to go with a parent who had to show a drivers license. I was told that it would take 2 days for the pin to be sent out, I am due wages tomorrow can I still access them without a pin?
    You would have to go into the bank and withdraw money directly.

Advertisement