Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wicklow way?

Options
  • 27-06-2010 6:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭

Hi,

i'm going to do three days on the wicklow way from Knockree to Glenmalure and was wondering if anyone knows the best public transport to use. I was looking at getting the 185 from Bray to shop river and was wondering how close to the trail this gets you.

Also have decent walking boots and runners and was wondering if it is worth bringing both?

Cheers:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭Donny5

Basicilly wrote: »
    Hi,

i'm going to do three days on the wicklow way from Knockree to Glenmalure and was wondering if anyone knows the best public transport to use. I was looking at getting the 185 from Bray to shop river and was wondering how close to the trail this gets you.

Also have decent walking boots and runners and was wondering if it is worth bringing both?

Cheers:)

When you get off the 185, you've two options. You can continue straight down the road for about 2.3Km and you'll reach the Way as it crosses the road, or you can take the first left and follow the signs to the Knockree hostel, which is slightly longer (3.3Km), but you join the way about 2.5Km farther along the route.

As for the route, it's all along trails, forest tracks and roads, with one exception. In the stretch over from Glendalough to Glenmalure, up near the summit on Mullacor, immediately after the boardwalk ends (assuming you're heading South) there's a stretch of about 500m along a bog track, which in Winter is just mud. Even in Summer , it tends not to be great, although it's pretty dry at the minute. I'd say you'd be fine in runners for the entirety.

One thing to note is that just after you come down from Paddock Hill, you have to cross the Glenmacnass river. One of the supports on the bridge has collapsed, and the bridge is closed. You can cross there (I did about 14 days ago), but the offical story is you should head South down the R116 to Laragh, and then follow the signs for Glendalough where you rejoin the way.

As for getting home from Glenmalure, you can get a bus at the Lodge. Here's the website. I've never used this bus, and I think it's new this year, but bear in mind that the website says you need to book it in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Basicilly

Hi Donny 5,

that's perfect!! Thanks for all the details. :)

I was thinking of running some parts of it. Any suggestions which parts would be best suited. I was thanking the last 5-7 km each day,

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭wuben

hi can anyone tell me how long the wicklow way is from start to finish and if your going to be walking it over a few days do you camp along it?

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Mitch Buchannon

wuben wrote: »
    hi can anyone tell me how long the wicklow way is from start to finish and if your going to be walking it over a few days do you camp along it?

http://tinyurl.com/236gfr7 :)

Advertisement