Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

cataloging Pics / Lightroom

• 27-06-2010 6:44pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭

So after all the rave reviews lightroom always gets everywhere, I thought i finally see what im missing. However after installing it my available HD space halved as it created a copy of everything.

I think I understand why its done this but Im wondering how to i find my shots within lightroom. To explain better, this is my current method / workflow

- Create new folder on HD and name it.
    - Copy wanted RAW files from memory card into this folder
    - PP the RAW files in PS and once complete I save a jpeg version into a subfolder in the same master folder.

I've always done it this way and I can always track down the folder im after later. This folder will have both the RAW and Jepeg versions....

Now with lightroom, where do I start?
    How do I catalogue my pics and how do I find them after rather than the default version of viewing by date?

Its been really confusing me and its just after chewing up 50GB of HD space. I dont need a duplicate copy on this HD.....

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,164 ✭✭✭nilhg

I know it's for an older version but this video explains the basic concepts of file management in LR well

http://av.adobe.com/russellbrown/20071111_Lightroom_Tutorial_Podcast.mp4

Be careful it's a 70 MB download.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭chisel

I think if you do a standard install, thats what it will do by default. I think if you read through the options as it installs, theres something there along the way that allows you to chose how to catalogue.

I use a similar system to you, and LR works perfectly with it - its about synchronising and exporting manually rather than letting LR do it automatically.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭.Longshanks.

nilhg wrote: »
    I know it's for an older version but this video explains the basic concepts of file management in LR well

http://av.adobe.com/russellbrown/20071111_Lightroom_Tutorial_Podcast.mp4

Be careful it's a 70 MB download.

Thanks, I'll look into that link when get back onto a PC tomorrow

Edit, 70 MB ouch. Might try it at lunch in work instead

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 842 ✭✭✭daycent

The best import method for Lightroom is probably to import directly from the memory card. Once you set it up, Lightroom will automatically copy the files to your HD and divide them up into individual folders according to date.

You can preview the shots in full screen before you import, so you only import what you want. The import window for LR3 has been improved a lot from previous versions.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭chisel

That import method is great if you are happy to store via date. But for me, well I want to sort by interest. So, I might have a folder for "kids pics" or "cars" or "macro".... and then each of them subdivided eg, "classic car live modello 2010".

For me its much easier to open up the memory card in an explorer window, select the group of photos I want, and then copy'n'paste them to the folder in my pictures. Then I open up LR and right click and "synchronise".

Imports them all in, I have complete control and I can find my pics later more easily than by date.

Many ways to skin a cat with LR - thats the power of it I suppose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 842 ✭✭✭daycent

chisel wrote: »
    That import method is great if you are happy to store via date. But for me, well I want to sort by interest. So, I might have a folder for "kids pics" or "cars" or "macro".... and then each of them subdivided eg, "classic car live modello 2010".

For me its much easier to open up the memory card in an explorer window, select the group of photos I want, and then copy'n'paste them to the folder in my pictures. Then I open up LR and right click and "synchronise".

Imports them all in, I have complete control and I can find my pics later more easily than by date.

Many ways to skin a cat with LR - thats the power of it I suppose.

Yeah, that's the best thing about Lightroom, so many options and you can customise most things to your liking.

I haven't got a chance to check out that video yet but say I want to find a pic of the other half under a sunset that I took a couple years ago. At the minute I know I go to folder called 'Emma' then subfolder called 'sunset'.

I dont know the date so how can i find it?
    Do I need to find it the slow way 1st and add a key word so it can be found quicker the next time?

I haven't got a chance to check out that video yet but say I want to find a pic of the other half under a sunset that I took a couple years ago. At the minute I know I go to folder called 'Emma' then subfolder called 'sunset'.

I dont know the date so how can i find it?
    Do I need to find it the slow way 1st and add a key word so it can be found quicker the next time?

What way did you import your existing photos? If you just imported them in situ then you should be able to navigate around them through the folders panel in the library module

What way did you import your existing photos? If you just imported them in situ then you should be able to navigate around them through the folders panel in the library module
    Just done it by going to File -> new Catalogue and LR done the rest.
    When i go to navigate around the folders in the Library I only get to see the new duplicate copies folders its created. These pics are all in new folders named by date....
    Can i tell it to only see my older system and I can delete the new folders? (50GB in size)

Just done it by going to File -> new Catalogue and LR done the rest.
    When i go to navigate around the folders in the Library I only get to see the new duplicate copies folders its created. These pics are all in new folders named by date....
    Can i tell it to only see my older system and I can delete the new folders? (50GB in size)

OK, when you went to import your photos in the import dialogue box you had 4 choices: Copy as DNG, Copy, Move and Add. For what you wanted the best option would probably have been Add, this would have left them on your HD in the folder structure you created and just added them to the catalogue and created the previews in the preview folder. It looks as if you in fact chose copy, and now have 2 instances of each file.

TBH I think the best option for you would be to start again, create a new catalogue and add the files from your own folder structure. when that's done you can delete the older catalogue and the copies (50GB:eek:).

• Advertisement

OK, when you went to import your photos in the import dialogue box you had 4 choices: Copy as DNG, Copy, Move and Add. For what you wanted the best option would probably have been Add, this would have left them on your HD in the folder structure you created and just added them to the catalogue and created the previews in the preview folder. It looks as if you in fact chose copy, and now have 2 instances of each file.

TBH I think the best option for you would be to start again, create a new catalogue and add the files from your own folder structure. when that's done you can delete the older catalogue and the copies (50GB:eek:).

Perfect. Exactly what I needed. Cheers.
    Off now to clear out the HD

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Heebie

If it made copies of everything, then when you imported the files.. you didn't un-tick the box that causes it to make duplicates.
    I always leave my files right where they are. since it's a non-destructive "edit"

Advertisement