Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hamco solid fuel stove

• 27-06-2010 6:59pm

Anyone have a Hamco solid-fuel/woodburning stove? I'm thinking of getting the Ree Petite model, - it's well priced, cast iron, made by an Irish company based in Tullamore. I'm undecided between it and the Stanley Oisin. Any comments or advice welcomed!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

inthehat wrote: »
    Anyone have a Hamco solid-fuel/woodburning stove? I'm thinking of getting the Ree Petite model, - it's well priced, cast iron, made by an Irish company based in Tullamore. I'm undecided between it and the Stanley Oisin. Any comments or advice welcomed!

whats the prices?

I have the oisin. And get on very well with it.

€399 for the Ree Petite as opposed to €499 for Oisin. It (Hamco)also has the airwash system for keeping glass clean, which the Oisin doesnt appear to have (or at least it isnt listed in the features). Do you ever keep the Oisin in overnight? Do you find it uses a lot of fuel? I'm also tempted by the reviews for the Morso Squirrel. Its a lot more expensive though!

inthehat wrote: »
    €399 for the Ree Petite as opposed to €499 for Oisin. It (Hamco)also has the airwash system for keeping glass clean, which the Oisin doesnt appear to have (or at least it isnt listed in the features). Do you ever keep the Oisin in overnight? Do you find it uses a lot of fuel? I'm also tempted by the reviews for the Morso Squirrel. Its a lot more expensive though!

i do sometime let it burn overnight . But its not good practice as it burns dirty when on low.

I choose the oisin for it heat output. It had more heat than others in its size and price range.

It uses little fuel, but I have nothing to compare it to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

I have one in my new house. Using it 6 months now. Its a great little stove. Paid €399 for it. My parents have a stanley oisin and they are really identical except for the airwash. When I went to buy it, the dealer had the hamco and the stanley stove side by side. He showed me how the grates are identical - you can swap one to the other. He said that they are cast in the one factory (In China of course). They are really just assembled in ireland. Main selling point to me was the airwash and the fact that parts for the hamco, like the grate or the door glass are cheaper than stanley, even though they are the same parts.

reilig wrote: »
    I have one in my new house. Using it 6 months now. Its a great little stove. Paid €399 for it. My parents have a stanley oisin and they are really identical except for the airwash. When I went to buy it, the dealer had the hamco and the stanley stove side by side. He showed me how the grates are identical - you can swap one to the other. He said that they are cast in the one factory (In China of course). They are really just assembled in ireland. Main selling point to me was the airwash and the fact that parts for the hamco, like the grate or the door glass are cheaper than stanley, even though they are the same parts.
    Thanks guys!

• Advertisement

does the air wash thang work?

the oisin gets a very dirty window unless you have a high heat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

gsxr1 wrote: »
    does the air wash thang work?

the oisin gets a very dirty window unless you have a high heat.

It actually works good in comparison to the airwash that I've seen on other stoves.

Advertisement