Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pixmania

Options
  • 27-06-2010 7:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

I returned a broken Dell Laptop to Pixmania nearly a month ago at a cost of 50 euros. The laptop was only a year and a half old and it just failed to boot up, it had a two year warrenty from Pixmania but only a one year warrenty with Dell. My question is should i have to pay to post this back to Pixmania? :(

Appreciate any opinions on this as i have heard nothin g back from Pixmania yet.

Thanks
    Irish Lad

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭Bleedin Delish

That seems scandelous that you have to pay to send it back. Does their site say anything about getting the money refunded if it turns out to be a manufacturers fault etc? It would be interesting to see the opinions of any legal buffs out there cause that seems very unfair to make you pay

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭IrishTonyO

Have to say Pixmania is the worst company I have ever dealt with and after my last experience I would never go near them again. Their customer service is non existant and the lack of communication from them when you have a problem is not a good sign.

I ordered from them and after 2 weeks after not receiving my order I emailed them. I got no reply and emailed them again a week later again no response. I telephoned and was told my order is being processed, after almost 4 weeks. Another week later and still nothing from them, I rang them again and this time they told me the product was not in stock and would not be for the foreseeable future, even though their website still quoted it in stock. they offered to send me a different product which instead of being €29 was priced at €199, but they would only send it if I paid the difference. I asked them how long before the product I ordered would be back in stock and told them their website still said it was in stock. They told me it would never be in stock for the price I paid and that they do have it in stock but again it would cost me €199. Then it took another 2 weeks for a refund and no apology or anything.
    I will NEVER deal with them again, even if they were given products away for free.

So I am not surprised by them making you pay for postage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭Bleedin Delish

My God thats some neck on them!! Especially when they still had it on their website. That sort of thing rteally makes the blood boil especially when they dont apologise or admit that they made a mistake at the very least :mad:. Surely something can be done legally??Any lawyers out there to shed some light

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭jahalpin

IrishTonyO wrote: »
    Have to say Pixmania is the worst company I have ever dealt with and after my last experience I would never go near them again. Their customer service is non existant and the lack of communication from them when you have a problem is not a good sign.

I ordered from them and after 2 weeks after not receiving my order I emailed them. I got no reply and emailed them again a week later again no response. I telephoned and was told my order is being processed, after almost 4 weeks. Another week later and still nothing from them, I rang them again and this time they told me the product was not in stock and would not be for the foreseeable future, even though their website still quoted it in stock. they offered to send me a different product which instead of being €29 was priced at €199, but they would only send it if I paid the difference. I asked them how long before the product I ordered would be back in stock and told them their website still said it was in stock. They told me it would never be in stock for the price I paid and that they do have it in stock but again it would cost me €199. Then it took another 2 weeks for a refund and no apology or anything.
    I will NEVER deal with them again, even if they were given products away for free.

So I am not surprised by them making you pay for postage.

It sounds like it was a pricing error on their part, for which they are covered for in law. They are not required to sell the product at an incorrect price.

I had a similar experience with them,as did a lot of other Boards users, in relation to a Blu-ray player that was mispriced, they would have made a serious loss on each unit which would have been unfair on them and so they were not required to complete the contract and supply the product (Contract law is based on the principle of fairness to both parties)

OP, are you sure that the laptop has hardware problem and not a software problem as the warranty only covers manufactures defects in the hardware.

If it is a hardware problem,you are likely to lose all of your data during the repair, so hopefully you have it backed up somewhere

I have used a good few Dell laptops and I have never had a hardware failure, I have had to fix a good few software problems due to "user actions"

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Irish?lad wrote: »
    Appreciate any opinions on this as i have heard nothin g back from Pixmania yet.
    Does it not come on, or not go into Windows. Either way, please tell me. I don't work for Pixmania or Dell, but it's easy enough to get laptops on again, if the problem is simple. Will check this thread later.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Irish?lad

the_syco wrote: »
    Does it not come on, or not go into Windows. Either way, please tell me. I don't work for Pixmania or Dell, but it's easy enough to get laptops on again, if the problem is simple. Will check this thread later.

No it just tries to boot up and stops :( tried everything and to no avail, it just hangs, no matter what function key you use. Ill email Pixmania now and see where this goes with them.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,925 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

jahalpin wrote: »
    It sounds like it was a pricing error on their part, for which they are covered for in law. They are not required to sell the product at an incorrect price.

I had a similar experience with them,as did a lot of other Boards users, in relation to a Blu-ray player that was mispriced, they would have made a serious loss on each unit which would have been unfair on them and so they were not required to complete the contract and supply the product (Contract law is based on the principle of fairness to both parties)

OP, are you sure that the laptop has hardware problem and not a software problem as the warranty only covers manufactures defects in the hardware.

If it is a hardware problem,you are likely to lose all of your data during the repair, so hopefully you have it backed up somewhere

I have used a good few Dell laptops and I have never had a hardware failure, I have had to fix a good few software problems due to "user actions"

Not wanting to get into all the legalities of this, but the fact that they took the money not complete the contract, and therefore it is their problem that they didn't spot it, or did spot it and refused to honour it?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Irish?lad wrote: »
    No it just tries to boot up and stops :( tried everything and to no avail, it just hangs, no matter what function key you use. Ill email Pixmania now and see where this goes with them.
    Remove the battery and the power cord.
    Press the "on" button three times.
    Plug the power cord back in (leave the battery out)
    Turn on the machine. If it boots up okay, insert the battery into the laptop when it gets into Windows, and leave it in Windows to charge for 3 hours.

=-=

Please be aware that data is never ever covered by companies that sell to home users, so they'll format the drive, or maybe just swap the drive, and thus you'll loose any and all info that is on the drive.

Advertisement