Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Marian Finucane

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

So you would have prefered them to have beenbput on the open market, to be sold to the same 'developers' that bought up all the other property's to flip them?

Thus making the property's even more unaffordable to the people that really needed them!

Developers were hardly likely to buy a house in the middle of a local authority estate to "flip"as you put it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,778 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

It took Marion just five words before she had her first cough this morning. Between that and the snorer the beginning really sounded like an episode of Callans Kicks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,941 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

It took Marion just five words before she had her first cough this morning. Between that and the snorer the beginning really sounded like an episode of Callans Kicks.

"Come <cough> here to <cough> me now, and <cough> tell me <splutter> about this, <wheeze> auld thing..."
    Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

Dan Jaman wrote: »
    "Come <cough> here to <cough> me now, and <cough> tell me <splutter> about this, <wheeze> auld thing..."

Anyone find out who or what the snorer was?
    Maybe it was Joe Schmidt recovering from his op? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭brooke 2

Callan57 wrote: »
    Anyone find out who or what the snorer was?
    Maybe it was Joe Schmidt recovering from his op? :)

That snoring sounded absolutely bizarre! Thought I was hearing things in the car!!
    Did not hear the whole programme. I wonder if there was any explanation for it?
    Can't believe people were not ringing in/texting about it!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭chinwag

brooke 2 wrote: »
    That snoring sounded absolutely bizarre! Thought I was hearing things in the car!!
    Did not hear the whole programme. I wonder if there was any explanation for it?
    Can't believe people were not ringing in/texting about it!!

Same here!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭CountyHurler

chinwag wrote: »
    Same here!

I was on the way to have my car NCT'd this morning and I started thinking

"f**king typical, the car starts making noises on the way to the bloody test.. Though I've never heard it snore before?? :confused: "

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Just listening to the programme now. That snoring was bizzare alrite and the breathing was creepy, not to mention annoying.

The good thing about listening to this show on Radio Player is the option to fast forward through the boring stuff.

So I gave Oscar Pistorius the chop. I often wonder if I'm the only person on the planet who gives, not a fiddlers fart about that whole case. Right from day one, the entire story bored me to bits. No interest in it at all. Don't see the facination.

Shane Ross sounds like he's on a phone from the Rosetta spaceship up on that comet somewhere.

Then again, some of the other guests earlier sounded like they were on a different planet altogether.
    And they were sitting in the studio.

Lapin wrote: »
    I often wonder if I'm the only person on the planet who gives, not a fiddlers fart about that whole case.

I'm pretty sure you're the only person who speaks like a character from a Shakepearean play.. :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Well measure for measure, Pistorius to me is much ado about nothing.
    This life, like the Kildare football team, is but a tragic comedy of errors.
    But oft, a Galway hero will ensure, that all's well that ends well.

From Shakespeare's final unfinished play. The Two Gentlemen of Montrosa (Act:Eejit - Scene:Oh Jaysus - Line 98)

:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭tampopo

Darina Allen, AGAIN!

And the usual stuttery delivery by Marion.

Off...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

Don't mention the thing!

RayM wrote: »
    Don't mention the thing!

Did you hear the alarm going off when Tim escaped from the dungeon...

She doesnt even know the names of the people who work on the show... That really doesnt reflect well on her, and her purportedly the one who spends all week researching for her show...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭Stavro Mueller

I'm not a regular listener to her show but happened to turn on the radio towards the end of the show last week. The stuttering and falling over words that she was doing made me prick up my ears. It didn't sound like she was on top of her game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭tampopo

I'm not a regular listener to her show but happened to turn on the radio towards the end of the show last week. The stuttering and falling over words that she was doing made me prick up my ears. It didn't sound like she was on top of her game.

She's like that all the time....

"Christy Dignam, who is apparently suffering from cancer and we wish him all the best with that"...

What planet has she been on..? Christy has been suffering with cancer for ages... Another research fail.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭my friend

She doesnt even know the names of the people who work on the show... That really doesnt reflect well on her, and her purportedly the one who spends all week researching for her show...

Yes that was revealing, she was reading the credits from an autocue or scroll and when the scroll paused she was unable to name the worker bees....

Why doesnt Jim Power do a report on his OWN observations at the time... I think you'll find that singing the same line as those bodies that he is investigating... The absoloute hypocrisy of the man..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

Why doesnt Jim Power do a report on his OWN observations at the time... I think you'll find that singing the same line as those bodies that he is investigating... The absoloute hypocrisy of the man..

Soft landing Jim!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

I feel like I'm listening to a Kennedy get-together.

In case anybody is wondering Jim Power's defence of his own opinions at the time was that he "didnt have the time to look at the bank balance sheets"... As an economist who was on every TV/radio show at the time, being presented to the audience as an "economic expert" and influencing people with his views, this is just not good enough...

And I also blame the media outlets who gave him air time, while introducing him as an Economic expert.

I work in IT and I have to train myself all the time, on my OWN time.. Why dont the teachers just read whatever they have to read during the summer when they have three months paid leave?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,366 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Marion just let slip the rte training policy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭BarryD

Who is that contributor called Ann? She was going sort of OK till she started waxing about 'how we were all in it' and her friends jetting off to New York to do their shopping. Rapidly downhill thereafter.. annoying even.

I work in IT and I have to train myself all the time, on my OWN time.. Why dont the teachers just read whatever they have to read during the summer when they have three months paid leave?

For some Teachers If it's not beat into them by rote learning courses they are incapable of understanding and become mutinous

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Marion just let slip the rte training policy

Well it explains Lottie Ryan, Nicky Byrne, Marty Whelan .....

You kill your wife, spend 5 minutes in prison, and then you get her money when you get out. What a country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,723 ✭✭✭serfboard

You kill your wife, spend 5 minutes in prison, and then you get her money when you get out. What a country.
    Shocking and all as that is, I was also taken aback at the legal fees.

They took an action in France because she had property there. Legal cost? €16,000

The same legal action in Ireland cost €187,000.

It's no wonder the troika were on to the government to reform legal services. And no wonder the legal profession fought it tooth and nail to such an extent that nothing has been done about it ...

• Advertisement

serfboard wrote: »

They took an action in France because she had property there. Legal cost? €16,000

It's no wonder the troika were on to the government to reform legal services. And no wonder the legal profession fought it tooth and nail to such an extent that nothing has been done about it ...

Just goes to show that this country is still run by the elites. So much for Fine Gael's "New Politics".

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

[quoters="serfboard;93249851"]Shocking and all as that is, I was also taken aback at the legal fees.

It's no wonder the troika were on to the government to reform legal services. And no wonder the legal profession fought it tooth and nail to such an extent that nothing has been done about it ...[/quote]

Bloody leeches!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Oops69

I would say they got off lightly with that €187k as well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Oops69

The second hour of the show was actually listenable to for the first time in ages , she only choked once , I used have that phleghmy voice until I stopped smoking and it disappeared within a couple of weeks , Marion's a lot older than me but come on MARION , quit the goddam fags ,the memory improves as well, and the weeks research for the programme will only take a couple of days .

Soft landing Jim!

It was a soft landing for Jim right enough - he has zero credibility on economic matters so why he is invited on any show baffles me

• Registered Users Posts: 47 PureDaycent

Do RTE still let her smoke 40 Major in Studio during her shift?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Oh dear, the 3months holidays brigade again.
    Anyhow, I get paid for 162 days spread out over the year. I work 2 hrs a night when I come home then about 6 on the weekend. Then theres the study for a postgrad course i'm voluntarily undertaking.
    I also undertook a masters which cost 12k ... sure theres a bit of tax relief and extra allowances (which means Ill be even money in 20 years).

Now presuming you are referring to doing training for the new Mumbo Jumbo Junior Cert in my own time... If your IT boss decided to instigate a new system and told you to get the training yourself how would you feel?
    Now compound that with going to get the training and the course facilitator hasn't a clue... how does it make you feel ?
    Considering the gradual phasing in of project maths over 4 odd years with bi- monthly training, how would you feel as an english teacher getting one day, being told its starting in a few months... no guidelines as to how to assess the thing.
    And dont forget the people who advised Ruairi Quinn on its gradual roll out and content (NCCA) were shoved aside so RQ could ram it through to create a legacy before he set sail.

This one is about education.. not being just babysitters for your kids.

Armelodie wrote: »
    Oh dear, the 3months holidays brigade again.
    Anyhow, I get paid for 162 days spread out over the year. I work 2 hrs a night when I come home then about 6 on the weekend. Then theres the study for a postgrad course i'm voluntarily undertaking.
    I also undertook a masters which cost 12k ... sure theres a bit of tax relief and extra allowances (which means Ill be even money in 20 years).

Now presuming you are referring to doing training for the new Mumbo Jumbo Junior Cert in my own time... If your IT boss decided to instigate a new system and told you to get the training yourself how would you feel?
    Now compound that with going to get the training and the course facilitator hasn't a clue... how does it make you feel ?
    Considering the gradual phasing in of project maths over 4 odd years with bi- monthly training, how would you feel as an english teacher getting one day, being told its starting in a few months... no guidelines as to how to assess the thing.
    And dont forget the people who advised Ruairi Quinn on its gradual roll out and content (NCCA) were shoved aside so RQ could ram it through to create a legacy before he set sail.

This one is about education.. not being just babysitters for your kids.

Someone get out the fiddle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,941 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

Callan57 wrote: »
    Someone get out the fiddle

I have some sympathy for the teacher.
    As an example...
    A friend of mine was in IT, and after doing some necessary quali course to impart it into thick skulls, became an IT teacher. She told me herself, "Jeez, it's money for old rope, a total skive."
    That was in Year One of her new chosen career.
    Unfortunately, outside, the world of IT was moving on and she rapidly discovered she was being left behind and her knowledge of the systems she knew inside out was becoming pre-historic. The curriculum she was obliged to teach was itself out of date by a fair margin, and that only made things worse.
    So, rather than be a total anachronism she had no choice but to spend her own money to keep up to date and hope she'd be able to impart some current knowledge to the bairns. Iirc, she got very little help from the school or Department of Education.
    She ended up spending much of that vaunted time off just keeping up to speed with the industry.
    Teaching - it could be a grand place to put your feet up if you can carve a niche in something that doesn't change - which is nothing, these days. Anyway, the worst teachers are the lazy b4stards who don't keep up and have essentially given up.
    Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭SaveOurLyric

I dont think the two can be compared though.
    It sounds like the law in France was as you would expect it to be - he got nothing. So only a matter of getting a judgement enforcing it.
    The Irish situation was far more complicated, not legislated for (or at least for the case they were making), involved constitutional law, and it seemed they were always going to loose it but wanted to raise the issue and get a direction from the judge recommending legislation by amended to handle such cases.

But dont let that stop people making simplistic extrapolation to bitch about lawyers and the government.

It is still the case that the majority of teachers joined the profession foe three reasons - June, July & August

What about the kids who have to spend their time doing grinds to learn what some lazy well paid sod can't be bothered to teach - what about their time & their parents after tax money?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,335 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

//MOD

People this is the Radio forum and not the discussion on work terms; return to topic or enjoy an forum vacation.

//MOD

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭boombang

I don't anything about Bressie, but he sounds awfully self-absorbed. Despite that, raising awareness about mental health is no bad thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

Who goes around the place calling themselves "Bressie" anyway?! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭BarryD

boombang wrote: »
    I don't anything about Bressie, but he sounds awfully self-absorbed.

Part and parcel of the 'celebrity' culture. Maybe he'd have saved himself a lot of trouble if he had avoided the limelight in the first place.

BarryD wrote: »
    Part and parcel of the 'celebrity' culture. Maybe he'd have saved himself a lot of trouble if he had avoided the limelight in the first place.

Jeez ye'r all heart on here, I think the guy was well 'in trouble' before the voice started.

At least he's doing something!

Armelodie wrote: »
    Jeez ye'r all heart on here, I think the guy was well 'in trouble' before the voice started. At least he's doing something!

Yeah I feel sorry for Bressie... It must be tough being 6ft 6, drop dead gorgeous, and having every woman wanting to sleep with you... I'd say you wake up after every threesome thinking "they only want me for my body"..

These so-called experts get money for old rope. Wheel them into the studio for 20 minutes to spout obvious stuff we already know.

Top tip for Christmas: Prepare in advance for it.

Thanks Marian, I'll pick up my cheque on the way out.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭lindascribbler

Listening to millionaire wannabe celebs telling us plebs how to organise ourselves for Christmas - I feel like vommiting up the turkey in advance:(

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement