Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Marian Finucane

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

Is this woman married to Philip Boucher Hayes?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭RadioRetro

Forgot to post earlier during Bressie's interview but hooted at this snippet!

Marion (on his schooldays): "So you went rugby?"

Bressie: "I went GAA"

Research, baby, research.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭brooke 2

These so-called experts get money for old rope. Wheel them into the studio for 20 minutes to spout obvious stuff we already know.

Domestic engineer???!!!! Spare me!!!!! :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Oops69

Top tip for Christmas: Prepare in advance for it.

Thanks Marian, I'll pick up my cheque on the way out.

You can Guarnatte NEvan or one of the ALlens will be on next week for the 'last minute ' preparations for the dinner for 40 we will all be preparing , share the expert cheques around MARION , the same shower seem to have standing orders in with the Marion show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Yeah I feel sorry for Bressie... It must be tough being 6ft 6, drop dead gorgeous, and having every woman wanting to sleep with you... I'd say you wake up after every threesome thinking "they only want me for my body"..

Well if that's your measure of being successful then good luck with that. The guy has mental illness issues... and basically your comment is "think of all the women you are gettin Bressie you ungrateful boll1x"..

.. classy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭stop animal cruelty

Yeah I feel sorry for Bressie... It must be tough being 6ft 6, drop dead gorgeous, and having every woman wanting to sleep with you... I'd say you wake up after every threesome thinking "they only want me for my body"..

Maybe looks dont matter to him, and he prob doesnt wanna sleep with every woman in the country (have you seen his gf???)

fair play to him coming out with his hidden battles his gone through, might not be any help to you, but he has certainly helped me a whole lot, he has given me, and many others, that drive and confidence that we can manage and overcome anxiety/depression.

Feel sorry for the guy for the ****e his gone through, cause if you'd any idea you'd know its hell on earth.

boombang wrote: »
    I don't anything about Bressie, but he sounds awfully self-absorbed. Despite that, raising awareness about mental health is no bad thing.

Maybe thats because he came on to talk about HIS OWN story, battle with HIS mental illness and HIS OWN blog??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,941 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

Oh, I know. It's a trial, right enough.
    Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Unfortunately I think Marian is on a downward slide. She was at one time an excellent interviewer, capable of delivering strong interviews with an incisive line of questioning.

Observing her over the last year this quality isn't evident. The most disappointing aspect is the vagueness of her questions. She is asking the same questions that every other interviewer has asked over the course of the week. Given that she has a week to digest and prepare, this isn't excusable. If she is making no effort to bring a new angle to the story then how is her voice disincentive?

She has become that most dangerous of things for a broadcaster, comfortable.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭CountyHurler

Maybe looks dont matter to him, and he prob doesnt wanna sleep with every woman in the country (have you seen his gf???)

So he has a beautiful girlfriend as well.. My god, his woes never end... I dont mean to be hard on the Bressie... I actually like the guy, but I think he really needs to get things in perspective.. I have a friend who has been in a wheelchair all of his life, never been with a woman or had a job, and is now losing the function of his left arm.... I've another friend who has been unemployed for ten years and only got his first girlfriend (in his life) this year aged 41...

Bressie probably could have been a male model, a professional rugby player, he is a professional musician.. I mean he was hardly at the back of the queue when the talents and essentially the "currency for a better life" were handed out...

Aidric wrote: »
    Unfortunately I think Marian is on a downward slide. She was at one time an excellent interviewer, capable of delivering strong interviews with an incisive line of questioning.

It's terrible that RTE wont do something about their underperforming "stars"... Joe Duffy and Mooney have been coasting for a while.. At least Mooney has had the good grace to step aside... Tubridy has been terrible on both radio and particularly TV but nothing ever gets done about this... And Marian has been so poorly prepared for the show in the last 18 months that she would be better off retiring so as to leave with some small degree of her former reputation intact..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,556 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

So he has a beautiful girlfriend as well.. My god, his woes never end... I dont mean to be hard on the Bressie... I actually like the guy, but I think he really needs to get things in perspective.. I have a friend who has been in a wheelchair all of his life, never been with a woman or had a job, and is now losing the function of his left arm.... I've another friend who has been unemployed for ten years and only got his first girlfriend (in his life) this year aged 41...

Bressie probably could have been a male model, a professional rugby player, he is a professional musician.. I mean he was hardly at the back of the queue when the talents and essentially the "currency for a better life" were handed out...
    Jesus, did you listen to a word he said? Or just tot up all the "good things" (in your book) that he happens have in life, and decide that yeah, he's grand, what's his problem?

I didn't know a single thing about the man before listening to that interview this morning - wouldn't recognise him in the street if he bumped into me - but that interview really hit home. You can have all the talents, looks, money, whatever in the world, but if your mental health gives out, it's a big problem that nobody seems to recognise.

If you've a broken leg, people will sympathise. If you suffer from depression, or panic attacks, or whatever, people (some people) will tell you to pull yourself together or cop the f*** on.

That, it seems to me, is why he did that interview. Why he had to do that interview. Eventually his message might penetrate so that we don't have to read the likes of the above post.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Bartok

CountyHurler, I have to say your post really riled me! Bressie gave an amazing speech at Lovin Dublin Live. I can't post a video link as I'm a new user but I suggest you look it up on youtube. It gives a really good insight into what is can be like to suffer from mental health issues. I really think you need to educate yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭jimmyw

I dont know if anyone heard her this morning when she was reading out the newspaper headlines, and she was speaking about the homeless stories and she said she hopes they continue.

It sounded like she wanted people to be homeless or people dying from it.I know what she meant, (no one would want that), but it sounded wrong.

What she meant was that she hopes the stories about them are kept in the news.

Well it may be only me that noticed I'll admit.

• Advertisement

I dont think Richard should confuse hatred for the Government as support for him... He can take the Government down all he wants, it will just be up to somebody else to implement water charges, property tax etc etc and with the same terrible economic situation...

Charlie bird needs his Christmas shopping cheque , he's got the standing order in as well.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,309 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

Observing her over the last year this quality isn't evident. The most disappointing aspect is the vagueness of her questions. She is asking the same questions that every other interviewer has asked over the course of the week. Given that she has a week to digest and prepare, this isn't excusable. If she is making no effort to bring a new angle to the story then how is her voice disincentive?

She has become that most dangerous of things for a broadcaster, comfortable.

Its quite possible that after 40 odd years in RTE she wants to wind things down a little with a more relaxed and easygoing show. She has had her day of doing the big interviews (and was great at it) and now with retirement presumably on the horizon in the near future, she see's no reason to do anything other than scratch the surface in interviews. The likes of Sean O Rourke, Brian Dowling and Cormac O'hEadhra seem to be the big hitters as regards serious interviews these days on Radio 1.

mzungu wrote: »
    Its quite possible that after 40 odd years in RTE she wants to wind things down a little with a more relaxed and easygoing show. She has had her day of doing the big interviews (and was great at it) and now with retirement presumably on the horizon in the near future, she see's no reason to do anything other than scratch the surface in inter views. The likes of Sean O Rourke, Brian Dowling and Cormac O'hEadhra seem to be the big hitters as regards serious interviews these days on Radio 1.

She shouldn't be getting 200k + so!

+1, She can 'wind down' her salary expectations so and give a younger journalist a go with the excess.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,309 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

Oops69 wrote: »
    +1, She can 'wind down' her salary expectations so and give a younger journalist a go with the excess.

Agree with both points, however she is popular with the listeners and gets the ratings so any younger journalist that enters the scene would have to be somewhat established to keep that in place. I would say somebody like Keelin Shanley would be an ideal person to take over.

Appaling, moronic discussion of the 13 Taoisigh , nothing insightful atall from any of the contributors , this is supposed to be the national broadcaster?!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭brooke 2

Agree with both points, however she is popular with the listeners and gets the ratings so any younger journalist that enters the scene would have to be somewhat established to keep that in place. I would say somebody like Keelin Shanley would be an ideal person to take over.

Disagree with you re Keelin. Kate Egan has filled in for her on Morning Edition and
    is a far more incisive interviewer. Keelin sometimes does not even notice when her
    questions are not being answered - either that or she chooses to ignore it! :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

Does Marian not have a relative that could take over the job?
    They'll probably give it to that dimwit Claire Byrne who seems to be flavour of the month in there...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

You really have a lack of understanding of depression, no-one is immune from it. Telling someone other people have it worse is really unhelpful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

You really have a lack of understanding of depression, no-one is immune from it. Telling someone other people have it worse is really unhelpful.
    Indeed. The value of his contribution is in highlighting the fact that people who have it good in many ways can still be subject to depressive disorders. Depression is not a failure; it is an illness.

This hr guys attitudes are obnoxious in the extreme and he seems to revel in their obnoxiousness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

This hr guys attitudes are obnoxious in the extreme and he seems to revel in their obnoxiousness.
    I just caught the end of that item, he sounded extremely unlikeable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

I only caught the beginning & end of this conversation. Would hate him interviewing me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

I would rather be unemployed for my entire life than lower myself to being interviewed by a cretin like that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Colours

Does Marian not have a relative that could take over the job?
    They'll probably give it to that dimwit Claire Byrne who seems to be flavour of the month in there...

Sometimes this thread verges on trolling in how it derides and makes fun of Marian Finucane. I actually like her manner and interviewing style and would like her to continue in this role for the foreseeable future.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

RayM wrote: »
    I would rather be unemployed for my entire life than lower myself to being interviewed by a cretin like that.

Nonetheless he is 100%accurate in what he says - people do go to interviews totally unprepared & submit obvious works of fiction as cv's. Anyone currently applying for a job would be well advised to listen to him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,941 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

If he was capable of doing a proper job, he wouldn't be in HR.
    Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Callan57 wrote: »
    Nonetheless he is 100%accurate in what he says - people do go to interviews totally unprepared & submit obvious works of fiction as cv's. Anyone currently applying for a job would be well advised to listen to him

the uncomfortable truth

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

the uncomfortable truth

hardly groundbreaking material for radio interview...

Check mistakes and don't tell lies on a CV.

Can't wait for the Christmas dinner show...

Don't undercook the turkey folks .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 423 ✭✭The Bould Rabbit

Sinead O'Connor should stick to singing.

Everytime she speaks she makes an eejit of herself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,366 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Is she on with marion ?

I've decided to listen to anton savage today.

No, the panel were just talking about her latest publicity stunt.

Did I hear that right.. She's joined Sinn Fein and now claims that she was abused by a member of Sinn Fein... tbh, I'm sick of listening to Colm O'Gorman whinging...

Just heard on the news that Andy Lee won last night... I really didnt think that he would... They are calling it a "lucky punch" in the US.. But I'm delighted for him, he always comes across as a really sound guy..

• Advertisement

Why did she drop out of UCD?

That's the first question Marian should have asked.

Reasonably good discussion on The ARas attracta abuse issue , COlm O Gorman got his points across well even though he's annoying otherwise, what's happening this show , has improved marginally in last couple of weeks .....I'm probably speaking too soon though .

"Do drones make noise?"

No Marian, they just call them 'drones' for a laugh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭BarryD

Marian has a good selection of drones on her list of regular panelists!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

I always like Adrian Weckler's contributions (radio & newspaper).

Did I hear that right.. She's joined Sinn Fein and now claims that she was abused by a member of Sinn Fein... tbh, I'm sick of listening to Colm O'Gorman whinging...

Just heard on the news that Andy Lee won last night... I really didnt think that he would... They are calling it a "lucky punch" in the US.. But I'm delighted for him, he always comes across as a really sound guy..

That wasn't last nights fight!

• Advertisement

That wasn't last nights fight!

Really? Ah ffs, it was the first thing that came up when I searched for the most recent video with Andy Lee.... Not that you mention it, I did hear a different opponent's names announced on the radio, but I just put it down to Marian Finucane's research....

And in the end, it's me that's wrong.... I did a "Finucane" on it... :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,321 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

'The Interview' looks and sounds rubbish anyway :D

Right so Maureen Gaffney on christamas stress, one of the BAllymaloe shower or NEvan maguire on the dinner , books for Christmas and what's on the " telly " for Xmas , prob something about BOD and probably something about the homeless , anything I've missed on predictions for the next two days shows ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Right so Maureen Gaffney on christamas stress, one of the BAllymaloe shower or NEvan maguire on the dinner , books for Christmas and what's on the " telly " for Xmas , prob something about BOD and probably something about the homeless , anything I've missed on predictions for the next two days shows ?
    So you save yourself the bother of listening, and have more time for Christmas shopping.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement