Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Marian Finucane

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

Dan Jaman wrote: »
    No denying that, but at least he did it with a bit of style and in a sharp suit. Unlike his successors who might have been wearing expensive duds but just looked and acted like duds.

While we paid for it :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭CountyHurler

Skid X wrote: »
    IFemale Contributor "Oh yes, I worked for him for years" You can't put a price on those painstaking hours of research Marian puts in!

I thought it was particularly embarrassing when she was asking that US writer about Obama... She started on one question ... "But I thought that having a black president, so to speak, would have helped other black community, as it were " ... It's a little trick that she and other presenters commonly use when speaking about a subject that they dont really understand....

They continually use the phrases "so to speak" and "as it were" when asking a question.. this gives the impression that they have deliberately chosen a non standard way of referencing the subject they are speaking about, when in truth they are masking the fact that they are simply not educated enough about the topic to be capable of phrasing the question properly ...

Yours,
    County Hurler, Professor of Linguistics..

I thought it was particularly embarrassing when she was asking that US writer about Obama... She started on one question ... "But I thought that having a black president, so to speak, would have helped other black community, as it were " ... It's a little trick that she and other presenters commonly use when speaking about a subject that they dont really understand....

They continually use the phrases "so to speak" and "as it were" when asking a question.. this gives the impression that they have deliberately chosen a non standard way of referencing the subject they are speaking about, when in truth they are masking the fact that they are simply not educated enough about the topic to be capable of phrasing the question properly ...

Yours,
    County Hurler, Professor of Linguistics..

Everytime I hear "so to speak" it drives me bonkers - I truly detest the expression. :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 835 ✭✭✭miketv

Joe Duffy is the worst for 'So to speak', he must say it a few times a day.

So nobody at the station ate because their didnt want to offend the Muslims.. And if the Muslims didnt want her little girl to go to school would she do that as well, so as not to offend them..

• Advertisement

So nobody at the station ate because their didnt want to offend the Muslims.. And if the Muslims didnt want her little girl to go to school would she do that as well, so as not to offend them..

I thought that was quite extraordinary & very disappointed Marian didn't challenge it. What about mutual respect? I'd be fairly confident it had no impact whatsoever on those of the Muslim faith but left a few PC fundamentalists feeling smug.
    If I want to observe Lent should I expect everyone I work to do so also and it they don't are they disrespecting my "faith"? Total nonsense IMO "when in Rome and all that sort of thing".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

No Marion, you do not believe in freedom of speech because.

In fact, I'm concerned that do think you do as you clearly do not understand it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Best Marianism ever at 11.36

"Atheists must wonder, what in the name of God do people see in religion".

Brilliant. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

Ah the context argument...the condescending liberal's way of shutting down any potential enlightened discussion on freedom of speech.

"That dream became a nightmare"....

What a crass and stupid thing to say.. Would ye have a bit of respect...

• Advertisement

They could be coming to cut off the UPC? Should that not have been cut off already?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,778 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Marion was more annoyed about her having dogs than having UPC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,941 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

Cher's ass - what a subject.
    Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

He has a bit of the didn't I do fabulously well, look at me now about him.

Fair play and all that, but if you're going to name drop celebs, it usually has more impact when they're not all dead.

who in God's name is this serial name dropper?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,134 ✭✭✭✭dvcireland

Christy Burke on Miriam's Mates this morning, doing his best impression of a Supermayor

"...no Joe, you rang me !..." A.Caller.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,739 ✭✭✭sudzs

Is Marianne off the fags?? Her voice sound a bit clearer than usual.

Wait til Enda sees the reaction after the g0bsh1te is interviewed on this show today.. He wont want him anywhere near the party...

Any chance you might actually tell us what the headline is Marian?????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭Raspberry Fileds

Flannery not a likeable chap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

That slimeball makes my skin crawl

• Advertisement

That slimeball makes my skin crawl

"The Public Accounts committee didnt have the right to do this, they didnt have the right to do that"...

He always tries to create this smokescreen that he is the victim.. Him with his soft, meek, little Cyril Cusack voice... But the issue that he wont address is that what he did was simply sneaky and wrong, wrong, wrong... And the sort of antics you would have expected from the old Fianna Fail..

Wait til Enda sees the reaction after the g0bsh1te is interviewed on this show today.. He wont want him anywhere near the party...

Any chance you might actually tell us what the headline is Marian?????

If you are going to interview a wily old fox like Flannery you need to have your RESEARCH done. Marian didn't appear to have even read the article before beginning to interview him.

OMG I love a French accent, so sexy (sorry, I am shallow this morning) :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

"Is it a demonstration or a manifestation?"

"I thought I was having a stroke, but it was just the gardener's hosepipe."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

Was this woman on Livelive last week? Are RTE into recycling of 'victims'?

Roger_007 wrote: »

Until it affected the articulate middle-classes, it didn't exist.

Roger_007 wrote: »

Yea definitely heard that voice earlier this week

Maybe Fine Gael could subcontract Frank out to the HSE to lobby the government on behalf of the health service... ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

Marion's lack of knowledge showing up again!

• Advertisement

That is a very interesting point - why is everyone going through A & E?
    I saw with my mother, her GP had examined her and reached a diagnois, sent her by ambulance to A & E and the same examination was done there & when she was admitted to the ward the same examination was done all over again. And they hospital had her file as she had been a patient there on a number of previous occasions. Seems lika an awful amount of duplication to an observer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

"Is it a demonstration or a manifestation?"
    Is that in relation to the French protests? Marian doesn't know that Manifestation is the french word for protest, so?

Is that in relation to the French protests? Marian doesn't know that Manifestation is the french word for protest, so?
    Exactly (and I was demonstrating that I did!).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Exactly (and I was demonstrating that I did!).
    I don't know why I'm not surprised! (with Marian's lack of knowledge, I mean!) :)

Callan57 wrote: »
    That is a very interesting point - why is everyone going through A & E? ...
    In my local hospital, before services were curtailed, A&E and admissions were merged into a single unit. People brought in by ambulance from a road traffic accident and people with referral letters from GPs were processed in the same department. Obviously, how they were processed varied according to need. There was one element in this arrangement that did make sense: bed management and allocation has to be dealt with somewhere in the hospital.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 907 ✭✭✭foxtrot101

Flannery not a likeable chap.

I've heard Flannery interviewed a couple of times now and it's hard to reconcile Frank Flannery the "mastermind of FG's electoral success" and the bloke that turns up on the radio. He doesn't seem capable of masterminding much of anything really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,224 ✭✭✭alaimacerc

foxtrot101 wrote: »
    I've heard Flannery interviewed a couple of times now and it's hard to reconcile Frank Flannery the "mastermind of FG's electoral success" and the bloke that turns up on the radio. He doesn't seem capable of masterminding much of anything really.

Guess there's a reason backroom staff stay in the backroom. Well, I don't understand whatever reason he did any good in the backroom either, but the problems with him being front-of-house are pretty evident...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

He's smart enough to get hundreds of thousands of pounds from charity's, for not doing much.

What a vile individual!

Last time out they hardly needed a "mastermind" - they were shooting into an open goal in fairness.
    I have a healthy scepticism of all these so-called brilliant minds the media go on about - Cowan, Bertie, Haughey, Spring, Finlay, Shatter, Bruton etc etc - all brilliant a looking after No 1 :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

He seems an obtuse individual and lacking in self awareness. Not sure if that is deliberate or not.

After the Rehab fiasco he shouldn't be anywhere near a public role.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 907 ✭✭✭foxtrot101

Callan57 wrote: »
    Last time out they hardly needed a "mastermind" - they were shooting into an open goal in fairness.

I know, but it's how he's often referred to and Enda does want him back for some reason. Even though doing so will rightly cause a **** storm of Kenny's own making.

Afaik, It's really just a matter of a small technicality that Flannery couldn't be compelled to appear before the PAC. If Rehab had been paid directly by the Department of Health then he could of been, but because it was paid instead by the HSE then he couldn't. This small fact, in his own mind, has allowed Flannery jump to the high moral ground. It's a joke.

If FG wanted a prime example of why they are on course to get hammered in the next general election, their attempt over the past few days to bring Frank back into to the fold would be it.

• Advertisement

I suspect he knows where some bodies are buried and keeping him sweet is the price of his silence.

I think this is a totally ridiculous ... perhaps the Abbot is ever so slightly over sensitive

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Oops69

So the senators comments on MMA have worked to get her the attention she craves from an 'unsuspecting 'public .....she thinks .

Oops69 wrote: »
    So the senators comments on MMA have worked to get her the attention she craves from an 'unsuspecting 'public .....she thinks .

What does she know about welding?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Oops69

Dan Jaman wrote: »
    What does she know about welding?

Yes I agree , you really need to be up to speed on Manual metal arc( MMA) welding before offering silly opinions.

Leo Varadkar coming out on Sunday With Miriam right now... I'd always kind of suspected that he was gay...

Here's the story from the RTE webpage.

Minister for Health Leo Varadkar says he is gay

Fionnán is far too cynical and opinionated to be the editor of any newspaper.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

Fionnán is far too cynical and opinionated to be the editor of any newspaper.

Did Fionann Sheehan mention he's papers disgraceful treatment of Gemma O Doherty?

Flawless introduction once again Marian..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

Did Fionann Sheehan mention he's papers disgraceful treatment of Gemma O Doherty?

All that self-righteous crap about "freedom of the press". Indo shower of hypocrites.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement