Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Marian Finucane

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Marian on going to a commercial break: "I'll be shot if I don't earn my living"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,941 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

snubbleste wrote: »
    Marian on going to a commercial break: "I'll be shot if I don't earn my living"

By the time she's hoovered up her salary/fees, there'll not be enough to put a shilling in the meter for the studio lights.
    Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Colours

Leo Varadkar coming out on Sunday With Miriam right now... I'd always kind of suspected that he was gay...

Here's the story from the RTE webpage.

Minister for Health Leo Varadkar says he is gay

Fair play to Leo Varadkar. It's come as news to me that he was gay. I actually thought he was married! Not that it makes a jot of difference to my perception of him. Actually that's not true because I used to think he came across as a bit stern and aloof but the more I have seen how he operates and communicates to the Irish citizens in an honest and no frills manner about the current state of their Health service and offer realistic solutions to how he plans to tackle it and not plámás them with lies as is the more typical style of mé feiner politicians - and now this announcement - it makes me respect him more as a person of decency and ethics and, despite him not being in the Labour party which is my party of choice, a public representative that I can have faith in.

As to why I hadn't any inkling that he's gay, I have come to accept that my gaydar is totally and completely useless and how I arrived at this revelation was after asking a guy I worked with for 3 years and fancied like mad out on a date only for him to drop the bombshell that he was gay. Let's just say I hadn't factored that into any of the possible potential scenarios while working myself up to asking him out! :rolleyes:

And lest anyone think that he just said that to fob me off, well I wasn't that easily put off because I firstly asked him how gay he might be on a scale of 1 to 10 in case I might be able to persuade him to consider the hetero way (!!) and when that didn't work I ended up tagging along with him and his boyfriend to the Panti Bar!

I'm neither surprised nor unsurprised at Varadker coming out - his life, his preference, he can do what he likes; but, since he's a politician I wonder if he's trying to influence or gather in the Pink Vote.
    I didn't know Oliver Callan was gay, but neither do I care; his abilities are unaffected by that, one way or the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

Dan Jaman wrote: »
    I'm neither surprised nor unsurprised at Varadker coming out - his life, his preference, he can do what he likes; but, since he's a politician I wonder if he's trying to influence or gather in the Pink Vote.
    I didn't know Oliver Callan was gay, but neither do I care; his abilities are unaffected by that, one way or the other.

Doesn't matter to me either way but I think it's kinda sad that a politician feels he has to declare his sexual preference to the nation

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭CountyHurler

I'm neither surprised nor unsurprised at Varadker coming out - his life, his preference, he can do what he likes; but, since he's a politician I wonder if he's trying to influence or gather in the Pink Vote..

I think that's unfair... He said that with the forthcoming referendum on gay marriage, he was laying his cards so that people would know his position on the issue... He felt that when speaking in support of gay marriage, he would have had to cite anecdotal cases of "people he knew who wanted to get married", when the truth is that he wants the gay marriage passed because he himself may want to get married in the future... He's always been a straight shooter if you excuse the pun. I've always been a supporter of him and what he stands for, and that's not gona change.

There was also a real possibility that if he made statements on the topic, that he would be "outed" by one of the papers, or that enough allusions to his background would be made that people could work it out for themselves.. So, from his point of view, it was probably the cleverest thing to do to get it out of the way now, rather than having it on the headline of the newspapers the week of the referendum

I think that's unfair... He said that with the forthcoming referendum on gay marriage, he was laying his cards so that people would know his position on the issue... He felt that when speaking in support of gay marriage, he would have had to cite anecdotal cases of "people he knew who wanted to get married", when the truth is that he wants the gay marriage passed because he himself may want to get married in the future... He's always been a straight shooter if you excuse the pun. I've always been a supporter of him and what he stands for, and that's not gona change.

There was also a real possibility that if he made statements on the topic, that he would be "outed" by one of the papers, or that enough allusions to his background would be made that people could work it out for themselves.. So, from his point of view, it was probably the cleverest thing to do to get it out of the way now, rather than having it on the headline of the newspapers the week of the referendum

Yes, and as an unashamed and openly practising politician, what better wily opportunity than this, knowing exactly that you describe would happen? It strikes me as very convenient.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,617 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

There is no "pink vote".

Gay people have the same abilities, aspirations and problems of straight people. They don't vote on the basis of someone's sexual orientation.

There is no "pink vote".

Gay people have the same abilities, aspirations and problems of straight people. They don't vote on the basis of someone's sexual orientation.

Really? That's news to me.

• Advertisement

“I did a deal with myself that I chose a job in the public eye and my family didn't," she said in the past. "So I actually rarely ever talk about them."

Seems that she could the same deal with her HUGE wages and her two day a week contract..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Layinghen

Probably planning a six week honeymoon!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 21 wetfish

Congrats to Marion. Delighted for her and may she and partner have many happy years together.

Given the nature of the women, I am very surprised that she had more than two people at the wedding and that she stood for pictures in the newspapers... I wonder did she get doorstepped outside what was meant to be a private ceremony.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

Given the nature of the women, I am very surprised that she had more than two people at the wedding and that she stood for pictures in the newspapers... I wonder did she get doorstepped outside what was meant to be a private ceremony.

Photo looks posed - I doubt it was doorstepped. Congrats to her anyway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Oops69

This book / tv reviewer speaks in a smarmy/ laughy kind of manner constantly , he needs to get off the couch and talk to real people a bit more .

Oops69 wrote: »
    This book / tv reviewer speaks in a smarmy/ laughy kind of manner constantly , he needs to get off the couch and talk to real people a bit more .
    Is Marian working on a Wednesday? :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Oops69

snubbleste wrote: »
    Is Marian working on a Wednesday? :eek:[/QUOTE
    Should have been in the sean o rourke thread , maybe she is working weekdays now , she has to pay for a husband and a gang of childer now .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

wetfish wrote: »
    Congrats to Marion. Delighted for her and may she and partner have many happy years together.
    I agree.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭my friend

I extend my warmest wishes of congratulations to Marian and her new husband. How sweet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭bureau2009

The Irish Independent reported that Marion got married "on her day off".

Readers could be forgiven for thinking that Marion has a hectic work schedule and just managed to squeeze in her wedding ceremony. :confused:

According to my calculations Marion has 285 days off annually! :mad:

bureau2009 wrote: »
    The Irish Independent reported that Marion got married "on her day off".

Readers could be forgiven for thinking that Marion has a hectic work schedule and just managed to squeeze in her wedding ceremony. :confused:

According to my calculations Marion has 285 days off annually! :mad:

The PR / spinmeisters simply can't leave well enough alone.

They undermine the potential goodwill when they try to reassert a myth as truth

Christine LeGuard speaks out of both sides of her mouth anyway...

In March last year she said.. ""If you take the 85 wealthiest people in the world -- they can all fit in a double-decker bus -- well, they have more amongst themselves than half of the population of the world -- the poorest have, of course, but that is 3.5 billion people."

And here she is this week telling us what great lads we all are for bailing out the bets of the wealthy people that invested in Anglo, to the detriment of the poorest in our own society.....

YEEEEHAAAAAWWWWWW

Robert Mizzell has an amazing voice..

Idiots like her make it sound as if the wealthy are sitting on mattresses full of cash.

You think Revenue could have done a compromise with Mizzell if they were going to put his name in the paper...

"Robert Mizzell was unable to pay his tax bill this year.. However if you would like to help him to pay it back he's in the Red Cow Inn tonight at 10am"..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,068 ✭✭✭✭neris

Christine LeGuard speaks out of both sides of her mouth anyway...

In March last year she said.. ""If you take the 85 wealthiest people in the world -- they can all fit in a double-decker bus -- well, they have more amongst themselves than half of the population of the world -- the poorest have, of course, but that is 3.5 billion people."

And here she is this week telling us what great lads we all are for bailing out the bets of the wealthy people that invested in Anglo, to the detriment of the poorest in our own society.....

and dont forget what a great bunch of lads the aul saudis are with their progress towards womens right. They must be up to 17th century at this stage so not far to go

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

Country music is all very well in its place.

As long as that place is a thousand miles away.

I was gonna text in and see if I could catch Marian out.. with something like..

"Marian, I live in Kildare and our broadband is terrible.. I cant use Skype or Netflix, and even RedTube buffers when I'm trying to watch a movie"...

I'd say there'd be a pretty good chance she'd read it..

This is the sort of conversation that Marian should save for her dinner parties - where her guests can bore each other with anecdotes of how they drank yak's milk from a cossack's boot, and other such stories.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭StewartGriffin

This is the sort of conversation that Marian should save for her dinner parties - where her guests can bore each other with anecdotes of how they drank yak's milk from a cossack's boot, and other such stories.

Yeah, thought that too.

"I wuz 4 stone overweight, but just HAD to Everest!"

"Ooh, I really MUST go to Africa this summer - 650 euro is a STeeeeeaL!!!

Only on RTE Radio 1 would a talking head discussing the Lowry sexist comment turn around and make a sweeping general sexist comment on men and go unchallenged

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

I think I'm going to vomit listening to averil power talking about morals, lifelong Fianna fail member and married to fionann sheehan.

Would she care to remind us of her party bankrupting the country.

Or maybe what her husbands paper did to Gemma O Doherty.

She's another one with fiianna failzheimers!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

When it come to the next election all politicians would do well to remember Bill Clinton's words: "It's the economy, stupid".

Voters will always vote for what they perceive to be in their own economic interests.

Guest complains about people swearing in a restaurant where he brought his kids, and in the next breath he swears himself. Where do they get these idiots? :rolleyes:

If Niamh read the Oxfam report, (which I doubt), she would discover that SHE is one of the top 1% wealthiest in the world, (as are most of the other guests around that table).

The report defines the top 1% as those with a net worth, (assets less liabilities), of $790,000. Assets include the value of your home and possessions, pension fund etc etc. It does NOT include income.

Hilarious listening to Irish millionaires complaining about wealth disparities

Great insight into the minds of the tax and grab set that frequent Marian's circle

Irish millionaires such as Niamh and Marian, who's wealth was accumulated on the back of taxes of private enterprise and hard work elsewhere whining about billionaires

Their actual beef lies with the fact that others have more money than them and not with concerns for those that have nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭Raspberry Fileds

Roger_007 wrote: »
    When it come to the next election all politicians would do well to remember Bill Clinton's words: "It's the economy, stupid".

I like that quote - catchy. Never heard it before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Real shower of sickeners on the show this morning.
    Means a lot to Paddy the binman sitting in a cottage in Mayo, I'd say..........

• Advertisement

Marian struggled with the Greek journalists name and the name of the publication he works for ...

It's patently clear it's the first time she read either.

The consummate prepared professional broadcaster

my friend wrote: »
    Marian struggled with the Greek journalists name and the name of the publication he works for ...

Ah, give her a break, wasn't she busy getting married during the week. We are so lucky to have her this morning when she should be off on her honeymoon. Such devotion to duty!;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,224 ✭✭✭alaimacerc

The report defines the top 1% as those with a net worth, (assets less liabilities), of $790,000. Assets include the value of your home and possessions, pension fund etc etc. It does NOT include income.

Which as was pointed out on the TV (Newsnight, maybe), is rather silly. Someone just out of college with some student debt has negative wealth and is thus counted in the "poor", in this. Even if they now have a decent income. Even, in fact, if they have an obscenely high income. Behind those with actually nothing to their name.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 135 ✭✭Albertofrog

Or didn't know who the Greek prime minister is.
    Listening to this in England - the girlfriend says "Who is this woman? She can't even speak!"

Who's that child doing the weather.:confused:

Who's that child doing the weather.:confused:

Not sure but she must have attended the Marian Finucane & Des Cahill school of broadcasting..

• Advertisement

RTE obsessing on Greece?

Why? I want them out, refuse to allow my tax € support their broken crony economy

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

RTE obsessing on Greece?

Why? I want them out, refuse to allow my tax € support their broken crony economy

RTE have a lot in common with Greece in fairness.

Living beyond there means to support millionaires!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 57 ✭✭world_weary

mikom wrote: »
    Real shower of sickeners on the show this morning.
    Means a lot to Paddy the binman sitting in a cottage in Mayo, I'd say..........

most of it was two hours of the most insufferable middle class hand ringing , niamh breathnach ( or niamh someone or other ) was especially inane in her contributions

david mc williams popped up at the end to deliver his usual rock n roll version of economics

Only on RTE Radio 1 would a talking head discussing the Lowry sexist comment turn around and make a sweeping general sexist comment on men and go unchallenged

who was that same thumping bore who afterwards commented

" this does nothing towards helping our journey towards the promised land of gender equality "

never heard him on before

I think I'm going to vomit listening to averil power talking about morals, lifelong Fianna fail member and married to fionann sheehan.

Would she care to remind us of her party bankrupting the country.

Or maybe what her husbands paper did to Gemma O Doherty.

She's another one with fiianna failzheimers!

apart from her incredibly annoying voice , she is an altogether vapid commentator on every topic she contributes to

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement