Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Marian Finucane

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Rubik.

Happyman42 wrote: »
    Oh look, it's the Independent again,:rolleyes: quoting a poll, but no poll is actually printed. :rolleyes: For all we know it could be the reults of a telephone poll of 100 people. Wouldn't be the first time.
    SKY were quoting a poll that said 81% in favour but no actual poll has been produced.

This is the type of 'independent' poll I am talking about. Results and methodology that stand the test of scrutiny.
    http://redcresearch.ie/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/SBP-10th-Apr-Poll-2011-Report.pdf

The Sunday Business Post comissioned REDC to carry out that poll, in the same way that The Sunday Independent commissioned Quantum Research. How is one poll more independent than the other? That REDC poll is based on 1001 random phone interviews, the Sindo poll on 500 random phone calls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭Sergeant

Happyman42 wrote: »
    Oh look, it's the Independent again,:rolleyes: quoting a poll, but no poll is actually printed. :rolleyes: For all we know it could be the reults of a telephone poll of 100 people. Wouldn't be the first time.
    SKY were quoting a poll that said 81% in favour but no actual poll has been produced.

This is the type of 'independent' poll I am talking about. Results and methodology that stand the test of scrutiny.
    http://redcresearch.ie/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/SBP-10th-Apr-Poll-2011-Report.pdf

In the absence of a poll carried out using internationally recognised polling methods, can we not use the fact that the number of people who actively felt the need to protest represented a very small proportion of the population?
    While I wouldn't place any faith in a Sindo Quantum "Research" poll either, the lack of burning effigies and mass riots on the street would indicate that the response of the vast majority of the population would lie somewhere between enthusiastic and being slightly annoyed about the traffic situation as a result of the visit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

Sergeant wrote: »
    In the absence of a poll carried out using internationally recognised polling methods, can we not use the fact that the number of people who actively felt the need to protest represented a very small proportion of the population?
    While I wouldn't place any faith in a Sindo Quantum "Research" poll either, the lack of burning effigies and mass riots on the street would indicate that the response of the vast majority of the population would lie somewhere between enthusiastic and being slightly annoyed about the traffic situation as a result of the visit.

Somebody of Geraldine Kennedy's stature and profession should know that that there is a difference between protest and objection, is all I am saying. It's like somebody trying to say that because there is no protest to the economic situation that people don't have any objections....it's a nonsense position.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

have to admit.

i got a great laugh out of marions guests supercilliously referencing a protest and talking "authoratively" on it when the initial comment was about how no one bothered their arse to cover it.

plenty of "jaysis didnt RTE do great covering the event" arselicking too.

sometimes you wonder how people can work in montrose without sickbags.

:)

only thing that surprises'es me about the quantum poll is the fact it adds up to 100% this time. Ive no illusions that most people either welcomed or at worst were disinterested in the visit, but the hackery on display by just thowing out figures with NO reference to their source smacks of spin and quantum are beyond a joke to anyone that follows theses things.

I just couldn't believe that when it started. Sausage hit radio!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

have to admit.

i got a great laugh out of marions guests supercilliously referencing a protest and talking "authoratively" on it when the initial comment was about how no one bothered their arse to cover it.

I know. It's a thundering disgrace how RTE didn't cover the protests! I pay my TV licence and I expect to see wall to wall coverage of a handful of assorted nut-jobs, skangers, thugs, hangers-on and so-called Republicans stuck in the past. They really should be given the oxygen of publicity that they so deservedly deserve!

I'm going to write to RTE to demand my licence fee back!

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

:)

only thing that surprises'es me about the quantum poll is the fact it adds up to 100% this time. Ive no illusions that most people either welcomed or at worst were disinterested in the visit, but the hackery on display by just thowing out figures with NO reference to their source smacks of spin and quantum are beyond a joke to anyone that follows theses things.

They do reference the source in the story in paper, but not on the website. But you have a point, I would have went for the "Don't really care" option - if such an option had existed.

I know. It's a thundering disgrace how RTE didn't cover the protests! I pay my TV licence and I expect to see wall to wall coverage of a handful of assorted nut-jobs, skangers, thugs, hangers-on and so-called Republicans stuck in the past. They really should be given the oxygen of publicity that they so deservedly deserve!

I'm going to write to RTE to demand my licence fee back!

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I suspect you didn't hear it...it was cringemaking radio. RTE disgraced themselves during the visit, Don't worry 'arry, you won't get locked in the tower if you admit that much!:rolleyes:

exactly.

it reminded me of the IMF coming in and the studious ignoring of that by RTE till it was forced to do so too.

what we got off the media here over the visit was "team irleand" being uniformly on message with nary a dissenter allowed.

no one is saying the protesters should be getting wall to wall coverage but when RTE is showing one thing and the BBC/UTV/SKY are showing something else that they wont even acknowledge is happening , well its bizarre to say the least.

propaganda at worst.

and on the "fantastic" coverage, some of the poor spas were talking with bated breath about a woman walking in gravel as if it was some kind of miracle.

there was alot to cringe about on some of it on the part of the reporters involved and a fair amount of sycophancy. i mean forget the queen , do you REALLY need to hear someone in RTE tell someone in RTE how great they are ?

particularly when other outlets did just as good a job.

its all just a bit mad in an age where the dissimination of information is so rampant. its impossible to "control" the story now and those who try just look foolish when they attempt it.

• Advertisement

exactly.

no one is saying the protesters should be getting wall to wall coverage but when RTE is showing one thing and the BBC/UTV/SKY are showing something else that they wont even acknowledge is happening , well its bizarre to say the least.

That's the disgrace of it really, and a dangerous disgrace.

propaganda at worst.

I beg to differ. Why give these arseholes the oxygen of publicity? I saw a snippet of the News on Tuesday night which showed these morons burning a Union Jack, setting fire to rubbish, throwing missiles and using the barriers as offensive weapons towards the Gardai. I think RTE made the right decision in not showing it because it just gives these people an excuse to carry on their ILLEGAL activities. If they think they're going to get on the News, they're just going to intensify their stupid ways. If they don't get on the News they might just feck off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Good interview with new Senator John Whelan today, regarding the article (below) on him in the Sunday newspaper, where he gave his frank analysis of the first Seanad session..
    John Drennan: 'After two-and-a-half hours in the Senate, I've had enough,' Whelan Sunday May 29 2011

Two-and-a-half hours was all it took for new senator Labour's John Whelan to be convinced the institution he has just been elected to is as "dead as a dodo'' and should be abolished as swiftly as possible.

Like all newly-elected figures, Whelan had entered the hallowed doors of the institution in a state of hope mixed with idealism. But whilst David Norris, the new 'Father of the Seanad', tried to defend the ongoing existence of the embattled house by conjuring up the ghosts of senators past such as Mary Robinson, WB Yeats and Garret FitzGerald, the verdict of Whelan was as devastating as it was blunt.

He noted of the two-and-a- half-hour sitting that "the contents of most of the debate consisted of the sort of blather we associate with Ballymagash Town Council''. Senators, he said, spent "most of their time talking either about themselves or their local parish pump issues. It was a total mess of back-slapping, wind-baggery and hot air''.

Whelan noted that "ironically while all this was going on, Enda was in the Dail sharpening his knife, and after what I saw he has good cause to sharpen it'' for an institution which "is farcical and utterly removed from the realities of people's lives''.

Fair play to the guy for naming the people he was referring to as well.. (a challenge which was put to him by panelist Dan O'Brien).. He went on to criticize in particular Labhrás Ó Murchú and Paschal Mooney for their self indulgent, self serving speeches and "the Sinn Féin" members for lecturing everybody on Republicanism..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭GSF

Must be the RTE JLC agreement that gets Marian her good rate for working on Sundays.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 825 ✭✭✭macroboy

i listened to our dear marian on sunday morning..
    while supping my lovely cup of coffee.
    i have to say,i thought
    i was listening to live brodcast from an old folks home,
    where the nurses are out the back on the beer.

how she is let wander and ramble around on air is unbelieveable.

at one stage ..she yelped " i hope it isnt us that brings it down"

while discussing the euro.

as if we could do anything about it ..as if it would be our fault or something..i think she meant it would be better if we werent blamed for it..
    lol

there were other various ramblings , idiotic asides,uncaring questions,
    and basically a whiff of stale urine off the whole thing..

please dear god let this all be stopped after the summer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

macroboy wrote: »
    i have to say,i thought

as if we could do anything about it ..as if it would be our fault or something..i think she meant it would be better if we werent blamed for it..
    lol

idiotic asides Joe. It's a disgrace

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 825 ✭✭✭macroboy

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

Senators, he said, spent "most of their time talking either about themselves or their local parish pump issues. It was a total mess of back-slapping, wind-baggery and hot air''.

Whelan noted that "ironically while all this was going on, Enda was in the Dail sharpening his knife, and after what I saw he has good cause to sharpen it'' for an institution which "is farcical and utterly removed from the realities of people's lives''.

The irony of RTE airing this!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

macroboy wrote: »
    i have to say,i thought

lol

Listening to her now on DAB, totally biased eurosceptic from our Marian as usual. Europe is to blame for all our problems seems to be her message. It be interesting to see if she invested some of her paychecks in bank shares in the past.

P.S anyone catch her on Reeling in the Years as a young architect student protesting at the tearing down of georgian Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Corsendonk wrote: »
    Listening to her now on DAB, totally biased eurosceptic from our Marian as usual. Europe is to blame for all our problems seems to be her message. It be interesting to see if she invested some of her paychecks in bank shares in the past.

P.S anyone catch her on Reeling in the Years as a young architect student protesting at the tearing down of georgian Dublin.

No, but that seems to be the 'entry channel' to RTE.

Duffy, Aine Lawlor, Davin_Power all student activists, got a nice little earner at state expense in The Cattery.

Not too anti-establishment now? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,559 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Corsendonk wrote: »
    Yeah...she was hawt!

Otherwise, obviously she's earning her money if her show generates this level of internet discussion plus internet whingings when she takes her ample holidays.

• Advertisement

Yeah...she was hawt!

Otherwise, obviously she's earning her money if her show generates this level of internet discussion plus internet whingings when she takes her ample holidays.

Rather unusual conclusion to come to poster!

Most would seem to opine that the level of interest is generated by a sense of dumbstruck wonder as to how the fook she gets so much for so little.

Nobody here says she is a bad broadcaster or the show isn't interesting, but getting the wedge she is getting for it, there's the generator of posts.

Good man.:rolleyes:

Amazing that nobody pointed out that Robbie is playing in a different era to Stapleton and Niall Quinn and he has far more opportunity to score goals.. With the break up of the Russia states and Balkan states, the qualification groups have a) more teams and b) softer teams... so keane had far more opportunity to score than any of the strikers of previous eras had..

having said that.. well done last night Robbie..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭serfboard

Anyone hear her interview Rosanna Davison? Didn't hear the start of the interview so I was wondering who it was. She came across fairly well IMO, and a clever idea by her to do a radio interview where people could concentrate on what she was saying, rather than just gawping at her (OK, that'd be just me, then!).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,356 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

serfboard wrote: »
    Anyone hear her interview Rosanna Davison? Didn't hear the start of the interview so I was wondering who it was. She came across fairly well IMO, and a clever idea by her to do a radio interview where people could concentrate on what she was saying, rather than just gawping at her (OK, that'd be just me, then!).

Good interview, found her fairytale story funny though when she said she was 'discovered' by the Miss Ireland organisers at a cash machine in a shopping centre (Amanda Brunker told 'Rattlebag' she was also 'discovered' this way).

I used to work at a model agency, the organisers of pageants would give out application forms to the agencies and the agencies only. The models used to fill them in if they just so happened to be in the office at the time.

Sorry to burst the bubble :D

*awaits response from her legal team*

Good interview, found her fairytale story funny though when she said she was 'discovered' by the Miss Ireland organisers at a cash machine in a shopping centre (Amanda Brunker told 'Rattlebag' she was also 'discovered' this way).

I used to work at a model agency, the organisers of pageants would give out application forms to the agencies and the agencies only. The models used to fill them in if they just so happened to be in the office at the time.

Sorry to burst the bubble :D

*awaits response from her legal team*

hey horse!!

Howya?

Bursting no bubbles bud, we are not all dummies over here... M'kay!!

We know how it rolls man.

It began with Pat Kenny a few years back. Too little, too late. Finucane still has another year to run on her old contract. RTE has lost 70 million in annual commerical revenue since mid-2008, yet Marian & Co. have been untouchable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

Why does she keep making that really annoying noise with her mouth?

It sounds like she's eating her tongue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

40 years of 20 a day.

i know its heartless of me but lennys death has ****ed up the radios shows today and i firmly expect it to continue for the sundays which will no doubt show the hacks in full on automatic pilot mode.

george lees business show was bloody awfull today on the back of it and marions show lost me when she started talking to someone about sorting their rubish.

FFS THIS is worth her massive sallery ?

i'd get more riviting entertainmen from a gerbil.

its off to the podcasts again for me. complete waste of a show today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I really do not why they bother with these TV and film previews. Maid Marian always comes across as someone who has never bothered watching tv or films unless she was in it/made it.

• Advertisement

Got a skype from a friend saying that Made-Marian is on the front of The Herald today..

"Claire to take over show while Marion's on holiday"
    Claire Byrne meant to be filling in for her for the months of July/August while she is "on holidays"...

Why dont they just give her another 100k and just tell her to stay at home for the year..

I'll say one thing about Noel Kelly, he can turn non-stories about his clients into headlines. Last summer it was Sile Soeige filling in for Tom Dunne for a week, all the fuss last month about Tubridy doing the same for Graham Norton and now this.

Claire Byrne has shown on Newstalk's Breakfast Show and RTE's Late Debate that she is just not up to presenting these kind of radio shows.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭jimmyw

Got a skype from a friend saying that Made-Marian is on the front of The Herald today..

Claire Byrne meant to be filling in for her for the months of July/August while she is "on holidays"...

Why dont they just give her another 100k and just tell her to stay at home for the year..

What?:eek: she is just after coming back from been absent on the show, or was that "work"?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

No fcuking way am I listening to that jumped up little madam Byrne. Newstalk or Sam Smyth on
    Sunday for me and lucky dip on Saturday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭jimmyw

Why are ye all against poor Claire:p.The poor lass, leave her alone:D

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭puss

jimmyw wrote: »
    Why are ye all against poor Claire:p.The poor lass, leave her alone:D

Yes she should be left alone and not on the radio annoying us.

Can anybody confirm what I posted above guys.. like I said I got a skype from a friend, who I'm sure is not lying to me.. but I can find it anywhere online.. Surely one of ye must have got The Herald..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭GSF

Can anybody confirm what I posted above guys.. like I said I got a skype from a friend, who I'm sure is not lying to me.. but I can find it anywhere online.. Surely one of ye must have got The Herald..
    Sunday Indo repeat it today
    Meanwhile, RTE Radio yesterday confirmed that Claire Byrne will be the presenter of The Marian Finucane Show for the eight weeks in July and August.

last line of this article http://www.independent.ie/national-news/rte-unions-forced-into-cutbacks-to-pay-for-rises-2672699.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

Sadly I missed her this week, any mention in the show of the RTE wage cut or the Daily Mail story on Charlie Bird?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1380043/RT-s-ratings-exposed-Channel-uses-misleading-figures-defend-Charlie-Birds-polar-trek.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭donaghs

So, by 2013, Marian may have her salary slashed to about €400,00 a year? Ouch! :rolleyes:

Slightly off topic ,I was listening to Marzie today and Shane Ross was one of her guests.

I got to thinking, I reckon the people of Ireland think these this guy is the Messiah.Knows it all, lashes out the 'logic' the incisive comment, the real reason why we are in the shite we are in yabb yabba yabba.

Does anyone heed these baloobas?

Word of warning, these gimps are ten a penny, know alls, never will have to implement anything, hurlers on the ditch merchants who never performed where it hurts 'on the concrete.

Get in there where it hurts Shane, push through stuff which actually matters, and makes a difference,prove yourself in the reality of making a difference, then maybe I might value your views, when you actually implement something concrete .

M'kay Deppity!

Interested in other posters views.

I think it's kinda strange and funny to see Shane Ross sitting alongside people like Joe Hggins in the Dail at the moment. Their fundamental political ideologies couldn't be more diametrically opposed. I suppose war makes for strange bedfellows.

Of course we all know that backbench TDs have no power whatsoever. They can shriek and wail all they like but it ain't going to make a blind bit of difference. Still, it'll probably guarantee them keeping their seat the next time around. The fact that Ross couldn't even get the chair of the Public Accounts Committee proves that nothing much has changed in that place. The nice cosy cartel of FF, FG and Labour can be seen everywhere, from mayoral merry go rounds on City and County Councils to the top jobs in Leinster House. Plus ca change and all that.

I think it's kinda strange and funny to see Shane Ross sitting alongside people like Joe Hggins in the Dail at the moment. Their fundamental political ideologies couldn't be more diametrically opposed. I suppose war makes for strange bedfellows.

Of course we all know that backbench TDs have no power whatsoever. They can shriek and wail all they like but it ain't going to make a blind bit of difference. Still, it'll probably guarantee them keeping their seat the next time around. The fact that Ross couldn't even get the chair of the Public Accounts Committee proves that nothing much has changed in that place. The nice cosy cartel of FF, FG and Labour can be seen everywhere, from mayoral merry go rounds on City and County Councils to the top jobs in Leinster House. Plus ca change and all that.

Maybe not harry ,maybe no.;)

They both have a lot in common.

Both contribute to the 'Mom and Apple Pie' kind of Political rhetoric.

i.e. Ostensibly have all the popular answers 'Burn the Bondholders' but don't have to implement that tactic or deal with the backlash.

promise the sun moon and stars the 'ordinary workers' without any thought given to how it will be funded.

Like Alan Ahearne, they had all the answers on Morning ireland, but were never heard of when they actually had to fix the problem themselves;)

Take these punters with a grain of salt folks, judge on that popular word these days 'delivery' and not on empty rhetoric and bluster.

Slightly off topic ,I was listening to Marzie today and Shane Ross was one of her guests.

I got to thinking, I reckon the people of Ireland think these this guy is the Messiah.Knows it all, lashes out the 'logic' the incisive comment, the real reason why we are in the shite we are in yabb yabba yabba.

Does anyone heed these baloobas?

Word of warning, these gimps are ten a penny, know alls, never will have to implement anything, hurlers on the ditch merchants who never performed where it hurts 'on the concrete.

Get in there where it hurts Shane, push through stuff which actually matters, and makes a difference,prove yourself in the reality of making a difference, then maybe I might value your views, when you actually implement something concrete .

M'kay Deppity!

Interested in other posters views.

Shane Ross was a big fan of both Micheal Fingleton and Sean Fitzpatrick back in the day. Even went as far as berating the then Chairman of the Bank of Ireland for not being more like "Fingers" Fingleton.

http://www.independent.ie/business/irish/fingers-sidelines-a-sorry-soden-478772.html

When reminded of this recently, he replied - "No comment."

Maybe not harry ,maybe no.;)

i.e. Ostensibly have all the popular answers 'Burn the Bondholders' but don't have to implement that tactic or deal with the backlash.

promise the sun moon and stars the 'ordinary workers' without any thought given to how it will be funded.

Flutter, I remember Labour and Fine Gael with that same sort of rhetoric prior to the General Election. Enda was telling us he'd sort out the interest rate, while Eamon was telling us it was Frankfurt's way or Labour's way. They're all the same.

• Advertisement

Flutter, I remember Labour and Fine Gael with that same sort of rhetoric prior to the General Election. Enda was telling us he'd sort out the interest rate, while Eamon was telling us it was Frankfurt's way or Labour's way. They're all the same.

Of course ,that's my point, very easy to solve all the world's problems when you are in opposition.

All these guys have all the answers on the media soundbites,but when put in charge and have to implement and deliver, different story.

That's why I always recommend to look where these punters are coming from before deifying them, and even more important look at what they have actually delivered for the taxpayer.

You are perfectly right there.

Rubik. wrote: »
    Shane Ross was a big fan of both Micheal Fingleton and Sean Fitzpatrick back in the day.

Yeah I was trying to find a link to this earlier.. Enda Kenny mentioned his support of Anglo in the Dáil earlier this month.. Landed a really good blow on Ross, who had been criticising him..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

Shane has a very short memory right enough ..... talk come easy to the pompous a*hole

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,559 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

orourkeda wrote: »
    Why does she keep making that really annoying noise with her mouth?
    Probably involuntary salivation when she imagines the RTE Hi-Ace pull up with yet another truck-load of money.

Personally I've been boycotting any programmes hosted by the uber-paid RTE dinosaurs for over a year now.

Having said that, the younger crew at Radio have been producing some really good documentaries. The RTE Documentaries on One IPOD app is a favourite with me.

Having said that, the younger crew at Radio have been producing some really good documentaries. The RTE Documentaries on One IPOD app is a favourite with me.

I hope they repeat that excellent documentary that followed Conor Lenihan's general election campaign before he runs in the upcoming by-election. A twat of the highest order.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement