Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Marian Finucane

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭CountyHurler

"Money money money money"...

The irony of Marian being cynical about other people's affection for the dollar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Vorenus400

I am sure that if an Irish construction/engineering firm gets work in Qatar on some World Cup project, they will be lauded. Plenty of Irish firms out in the Middle East in countries with questionable human rights records

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,069 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

Saints.
    Brilliant stuff; at least one part of the saying is evident today.
    Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

I think if a man turned up in accident and emergency today with a chain round his waist, you would think it was because of a 50 shades of grey roleplay gone wrong

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

Vorenus400 wrote: »
    I am sure that if an Irish construction/engineering firm gets work in Qatar on some World Cup project, they will be lauded. Plenty of Irish firms out in the Middle East in countries with questionable human rights records

Isn't one of the top engineers working on the construction of the stadiums over there an Irishman?

Heard him interviewed on Mooney last year!

• Advertisement

Isn't one of the top engineers working on the construction of the stadiums over there an Irishman?

Heard him interviewed on Mooney last year!

Didnt hear that, was he asked any tough questions about the labourers or workers rights?

Vorenus400 wrote: »
    Didnt hear that, was he asked any tough questions about the labourers or workers rights?

I don't recall.

I do remember him saying that soccer is practically unwatched over there. And to get people to go to games when you buy a match ticket for a league match, your entered into a raffle to win a Porsche/rolls royce at half time.

Just looking at the women's rugby match on RTE TWO... There is close to nobody at it.. Cant believe there is such a small crowd...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭brooke 2

Just looking at the women's rugby match on RTE TWO... There is close to nobody at it.. Cant believe there is such a small crowd...

It is a sad fact of life that women are not
    as interested in sports as men are. Sad,
    because those rugby playing women do
    deserve more support. No amount of 'shaming' by the women's managers will
    entice/force the sisterhood to turn up in
    big numbers to attend. I imagine most of
    the men who do go to the matches are
    connected to the players in some way.

Not much interest from the media, either!
    However, we cannot turn on the radio, look at a paper or check FB without being bombarded with interviews, pictures, videos, etc., about the men's
    success. Wonderful though I agree it was, some of the coverage is too OTT
    for some of us. There! I've said it!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭Raspberry Fileds

brooke 2 wrote: »
    It is a sad fact of life that women are not
    as interested in sports as men are. Sad,
    because those rugby playing women do
    deserve more support. No amount of 'shaming' by the women's managers will
    entice/force the sisterhood to turn up in
    big numbers to attend. I imagine most of
    the men who do go to the matches are
    connected to the players in some way.

Not much interest from the media, either!
    However, we cannot turn on the radio, look at a paper or check FB without being bombarded with interviews, pictures, videos, etc., about the men's
    success. Wonderful though I agree it was, some of the coverage is too OTT
    for some of us. There! I've said it!!

While that's obviously one explanation, I don't think it's complete. There are some lines of work where men are in the minority and where the principal viewers are women - e.g. cooking shows and (to a lesser extent) gymnastics. I think the biggest problem is that women's rugby is not seen as being sufficiently developed. The reality is that Leinster Senior Cup rugby is of a higher technical standard. Also, Irish Wolfhounds don't get much of a following despite that several of the players are always in contention for call up to the national team. People want to see the best of something. Where women's sports have vied with or surpassed men's for popularity - athletics, tennis, gymnastics, eventing, etc. - is where they are of a similar technical standard or offer something different from the men's equivalent. Let's say the technical level of the women's game were to develop greatly and the play were a lot quicker by not getting bogged down by collapsed scrums, it's entirely conceivable that its popularity could greatly increase.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,224 ✭✭✭alaimacerc

brooke 2 wrote: »
    It is a sad fact of life that women are not as interested in sports as men are.
    "That's just the way it is \\ Some things will never change."

There are "facts of life" like gravity, and then there are "facts of life" like FF's poll ratings. I'm not going to opine on precisely how "essentialist" this present difference is, but it's not exactly a huge stretch to see there at many factors at play here beyond some Y-chromosome-linked "wants to watch sports" gene that's utterly immutable and inherent. (Not to mention that this would apparently also imply only men wanting to watch... only other men play sport.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭conorh91

"Money money money money"...

The irony of Marian being cynical about other people's affection for the dollar.
    'Money, money, money, money'; 'It's all about money'; and, 'It's an awful lot of money' were the three I remember.

I've often heard guests on her show discussing salary levels in this country -- from the average industrial wage, to Croke Park, to Irish water remuneration, and so on. If any of them were worth their salt as independent commentators, would they not feel it appropriate to raise the issue of RTE salaries?

I just don;t see how it can never have come up. At least I've never heard it. Of all the issues that get discussed every day of the week on RTE, you'd think someone, somewhere would have the balls to mention RTE salaries at one of these 'panel discussions'.

Fair enough, they don't want to offend. But that means it just never gets discussed on the major broadcaster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,822 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

conorh91 wrote: »
    'Money, money, money, money'; 'It's all about money'; and, 'It's an awful lot of money' were the three I remember.

I've often heard guests on her show discussing salary levels in this country -- from the average industrial wage, to Croke Park, to Irish water remuneration, and so on. If any of them were worth their salt as independent commentators, would they not feel it appropriate to raise the issue of RTE salaries?

I just don;t see how it can never have come up. At least I've never heard it. Of all the issues that get discussed every day of the week on RTE, you'd think someone, somewhere would have the balls to mention RTE salaries at one of these 'panel discussions'.

Fair enough, they don't want to offend. But that means it just never gets discussed on the major broadcaster.

Won't happen, in my opinion, nobody even gets near, they cut them off at the pass.
    Like you, I cannot understand this.

While that's obviously one explanation, I don't think it's complete. There are some lines of work where men are in the minority and where the principal viewers are women - e.g. cooking shows and (to a lesser extent) gymnastics. I think the biggest problem is that women's rugby is not seen as being sufficiently developed. The reality is that Leinster Senior Cup rugby is of a higher technical standard. Also, Irish Wolfhounds don't get much of a following despite that several of the players are always in contention for call up to the national team. People want to see the best of something. Where women's sports have vied with or surpassed men's for popularity - athletics, tennis, gymnastics, eventing, etc. - is where they are of a similar technical standard or offer something different from the men's equivalent. Let's say the technical level of the women's game were to develop greatly and the play were a lot quicker by not getting bogged down by collapsed scrums, it's entirely conceivable that its popularity could greatly increase.

Perhaps if it received more exposure in the media, it might become more popular?
    But it will never reach the heights of the popularity of men's rugby. C'est la vie!!

Oh dear, just saw it on the news. Empty stands all around. Just a few people,
    relations and friends, I presume, could be seen at the end. Must be very
    disheartening for the girls, but, I imagine they are accustomed to it. Well done
    to them!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Oops69

MARION comes up with a really incisive comment on the Graham Dwyer trial" it's one of those things where no ones a winner , isn't it " , amongst several others ,it's as if she hasn't even woken up yet.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,567 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Its like listening to the radio from the 1950's with their attitude to sex

Its like listening to the radio from the 1950's with their attitude to sex

I find the attitude to men extremely patronising. I'm expecting that the preventative measure is to block all men from using the Internet... Would somebody tell them that a) Elaine O'Hara signed up for the site herself and b) Graham Dwyer is one of a kind, and obviously a very sick man, this thing doesnt happen every week.

It's laughable.. That pilot fella tells us that we shouldnt jump to conclusions that we should wait for a full report to be finished... And here we are on the Marian Finucane Show given a full half hour to his psychological evaluation.. And then a psychological evaluation of Graham Dwyer.... Why dont they give us a psychological evaluation of what sort of person would take over 100k a year from a children's charity, that I would like to hear.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

It's amazing, when incidents such as that air crash happens, that all the so-called experts come out of the woodwork to tell us nothing of any value at all.
    The sad truth is that incidents such as this will happen from time to time as long as human beings are involved. The best that can be done is to take reasonable measures to prevent these incidents and hope that they don't happen too often. You can never absolutely prevent human beings from doing bizarre things.

Roger_007 wrote: »
    It's amazing, when incidents such as that air crash happens, that all the so-called experts come out of the woodwork to tell us nothing of any value at all.

You've just reminded me Roger. The first guy RTE had on (with News At One and Mary Wilson Show), on the day of the crash, suggested strongly that it looked like a catastrophic decompression. I watch a lot of Air Crash Investigation and it didnt look to me like there was anywhere near enough information to deduce that it was a decompression issue. I'd say he's felling pretty stupid now..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 120 ✭✭mountcisco

Why dont they give us a psychological evaluation of what sort of person would take over 100k a year from a children's charity, that I would like to hear.

And he couldn't even remember where people should report child abuse - "I think its Hotline or something"
    Shameful.

mountcisco wrote: »
    And he couldn't even remember where people should report child abuse - "I think its Hotline or something"
    Shameful.

I missed that bit... lol..

Was there any mention of him leaving that Anti Drink campaign? I heard the panel with Pat Kenny discussing how "embarrassing" it was for Fergus Finlay. Did he comment on it today, I'm presuming that is why he was there?

Was there any mention of him leaving that Anti Drink campaign? I heard the panel with Pat Kenny discussing how "embarrassing" it was for Fergus Finlay. Did he comment on it today, I'm presuming that is why he was there?

Wasn't he a shill for the tobacco company's a few years back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

Isn't Maureen Gafney involved in that campaign too? She was a guest today as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 809 ✭✭✭filbert the fox

And welcome back to the programme - we were just discussing during the break about the .......And that's all we've time for now because Presumably we've wasted more time thanking the newsreader the weather man and the Angelus very very very very very very very very very x 2000 much indeed for that etc etc and we've no time Presumably for any real discussion cough splutter, I'd have thought with the Lord almighty and please God and all tom cobbley and all that Presumably I'm getting paid loads and loads if you don't mind C'mon you're not goin' to tell me you don't go to mass on sundays - sure the whole country is blah blah blah....:mad:

C'mon you're not goin' to tell me you don't go to mass on sundays - sure the whole country is blah blah blah....:mad:

I'm guessing you've been a fan of Marion since Jesus was a child, so to speak.. ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21 dinny_byrne

Wasn't he a shill for the tobacco company's a few years back.

not sure but the other smug g1t ( john o keefe ) who was also on todays panel , used to shill for an irish company ( who sold dodgy property investments in dubai during the boom) while editor of the property section of the sunday indo a number of years ago

the same insufferably smug prat is dean of law at a prominent dublin university

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭phelixoflaherty

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Wow. Marian is actually being challenging.

I suspect that Pat McQuaid agreed to come on the programme in the belief that he would get a soft interview.

I suspect that Pat McQuaid agreed to come on the programme in the belief that he would get a soft interview.

It's great listening to the self-justification jig live.
    Otoh, sometimes I think the challenging questions are agreed beforehand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 733 ✭✭✭bbbbb

Didn't catch all of the interview.
    I thought the South Africa/Olympics discussion was interesting.

Pilgrim Paths - riveting stuff.

Appaling review of films by this so called journalist , most disjointed , directionless , pointless drivel I've heard since......MARION last spoke !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

bbbbb wrote: »
    Didn't catch all of the interview.
    I thought the South Africa/Olympics discussion was interesting.

Sounded like he went to South Africa on some sort of fact-finding humanitarian mission.

Not a big fan of McQuaids, but he is able to handle these situations well.

Thought he acquitted himself well.

A slippery character, indeed.

Dan Jaman wrote: »
    A slippery character, indeed.

Up there with Pat Hickey mate

Just because he's able to maintain an air of equanimity, it doesn't mean much. His main defence today seemed to be of the "Not me, guv" variety. He's as transparent as a pane of glass.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

The sad thing is that Marian has always had that in her armour but she uses it much too sparingly. Perhaps she has been in her brief too long.

Just because he's able to maintain an air of equanimity, it doesn't mean much. His main defence today seemed to be of the "Not me, guv" variety. He's as transparent as a pane of glass.

Well,in fairness, if it was ' not me' then it was 'not me'.

Either it was or it wasn't,and Marzie didn't lay a glove on him.

Had all the ' facts and figures dates and the lot'.

Now having said all that I still say he doesn't appeal to me, but he took care of Marzie with commendable ease.

That's the point I am trying to make.

... Marzie didn't lay a glove on him....
    I don't think that she needed to do any more. His responses were well-rehearsed ones and, taken as a package, not easy to swallow.

There has to be some trust in the listener's ability to detect crap.

I don't think that she needed to do any more. His responses were well-rehearsed ones and, taken as a package, not easy to swallow.

There has to be some trust in the listener's ability to detect crap.

What crap did you detect, and have you sources and back up?

What crap did you detect, and have you sources and back up?
    Do you really expect me to go there?

Do you really expect me to go there?

Not really, but I am referring to his performance from a laymans point of view.

I though he handled himself well, gave all the answers, had the points laid out, and never appeared fazed or fussed.

I don't know if he was correct or not, but he seemed to me to be in control and easily batted away Marzies questions.

Only one he seemed not as confident on was Lance coming over to ride in the race organised by the Brother.

You stated that a listener should be able to discern the 'crap' so I inferred from that that you could give chapter and verse on where the ' crap' was?

That's all.

This 'times ireland ' political digital editor or whatever she calls herself is nauseating with her spin .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭my friend

someone is reading boards and various posters profiling of MFs typical guests as a result we have this morning a guest who despite a trinity education cant speak English

Oops69 wrote: »
    This 'times ireland ' political digital editor or whatever she calls herself is nauseating with her spin .

And apparently, her boss Rupert Murdoch "has his detractors".

Understatement of the year, Niamh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

my friend wrote: »
    a guest who despite a trinity education cant speak English

Lynn Ruane? She's a good speaker. And she talks a lot of sense.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement