Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Marian Finucane

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,709 ✭✭✭Infoanon

The Nicola Sturgeon story was a fabrication by the Daily Telegraph - it appears Marians newspaper reading expert is at least a day behind in his news......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,750 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Yer one attacking the "Waurter Charges' seems to be wetting herself at the concept of 'user pays' . There's no escape from that one, which, in my opinion is the main reason why there is such a ruckus about this.

Put it on taxes and shure won't Middle Ireland pay, and bobs yer uncle.

We will carry on milking the State for every cent we can.

I chuckled when Marzie mentioned 'jobs' as the way out of the poverty trap but the 'Waurter woman' had an answer for that too.

You couldn't make it up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

I listen to a lot of radio but Rte's repeated promotion of The Road to the Rising is driving me mad. It's dominated a lot of their programmes this weekend. I know they are involved in organising it but they keep pushing it on their programmes

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭my friend

Yer one attacking the "Waurter Charges' seems to be wetting herself at the concept of 'user pays' . There's no escape from that one, which, in my opinion is the main reason why there is such a ruckus about this.

Put it on taxes and shure won't Middle Ireland pay, and bobs yer uncle.

We will carry on milking the State for every cent we can.

I chuckled when Marzie mentioned 'jobs' as the way out of the poverty trap but the 'Waurter woman' had an answer for that too.

You couldn't make it up.

She's a perma tax leach that lady, 'community activist' spoofer, she's spent her life living off your tax euros and has attended 3rd level to help develop new ways to leach your taxes

A great little country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,321 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

That joke went down well.

*crickets*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭CountyHurler

Shush will ya WMM, I'm waiting for an update from LillisWatch....

This Lotto "guru" would give you a pain in your face...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,321 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Marian getting choked up there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

One day we'll be listening to this and we'll hear a pause and a THUNK as Finucane slumps against the mic and expires in a smoky haze.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,941 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

Frog? More like a fag got caught in her throat.
    Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

They're supposed to be an independent utility company but the State will use strongarm tactics to get money from people who can't/won't pay.....

Reminds me of Humpty Dumpty, "Words mean whatever I want them to mean".

Water woman on with Marion has been excellent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭RadioRetro

That Liz Arnett wan's being parroting that corporate spiel on every radio station in the land for the past two weeks. She has it off pat by now.

honeybear wrote: »
    Water woman on with Marion has been excellent

Tad too smug for Brendān,to be honest.

Like a horse jumping some easy hurdles, given the days that's in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

RadioRetro wrote: »
    That Liz Arnett wan's being parroting that corporate spiel on every radio station in the land for the past two weeks. She has it off pat by now.
    That's her job. She is good at it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,739 ✭✭✭sudzs

Oh gawd, more Lillis-watch again this morning. :rolleyes: It's all very tabloidy.

They spent 25 minutes talking about whether the media should be talking about Lillis......

These people all seem to think that the under 6 doctor card is not wanted?

Tell that to a hard pressed taxpayer who has to pay out huge money for childcare so both can continue working to pay their way.

About time the taxpayer got something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Mammy's programme is so bad it make's Hook's show seem stellar by comparison. Same old ****e, repeated by same old panellists, year in year out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭RadioRetro

"Cindy Blumenthal"????

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 367 ✭✭qweerty

Description of one of yesterday's sections, on the programme's webpage:
    "Sydney Blumenthal who is a former Senior Advisor to Bill Clinton joins Marian on the line to talk about a new bid for the Whitehouse by Hillary Clinton."

Sidney misspelt, White House misspelt, "senior advisor" incorrectly capitalised and lack of punctuation.

qweerty wrote: »
    Description of one of yesterday's sections, on the programme's webpage:

Sidney misspelt, White House misspelt, "senior advisor" incorrectly capitalised and lack of punctuation.

It's a recognised post and could be capitalised if the writer wishes.
    I'm not so sure about the wanton use of misspelt, though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 367 ✭✭qweerty

Dan Jaman wrote: »
    It's a recognised post and could be capitalised if the writer wishes.
    I'm not so sure about the wanton use of misspelt, though.

It wasn't a recognised position before the Bush years; so he was merely the most senior of a number of advisers.

Do you think I should have hyphenated it? Or written "misspelled"? Either way, I'm still not wrong.

I will accept non-response in place of retraction.

qweerty wrote: »
    It wasn't a recognised position before the Bush years; so he was merely the most senior of a number of advisers.

Do you think I should have hyphenated it? Or written "misspelled"? Either way, I'm still not wrong.

I will accept non-response in place of retraction.

How very nice of you.

I didnt like the coverage of the whole Lilis thing yesterday... The presenter did nothing to hide her obvious feeling that the Eamon Lilis was guilty of murder, never mind what the courts said. The perception was given that Eamon Lilis had deliberately murdered his wife so that he could get access to her money, and that he had in fact got away with murder...

The truth is that he was having a row with the missus and lost the head... It wasnt in anyway premeditated, which you can simply deduce from the cock and bull story he came up with afterwards... Not that I'm defending Lilis, but I mean it's irresponsible for a "professional" presenter to publicly vilify him for more than what he is actually guilty of..

I dont remember Marian having reporters following Sharon Collins around when she actually DID try to have her husband murdered. How long did she server, Marian?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

I didnt like the coverage of the whole Lilis thing yesterday... The presenter did nothing to hide her obvious feeling that the Eamon Lilis was guilty of murder, never mind what the courts said. The perception was given that Eamon Lilis had deliberately murdered his wife so that he could get access to her money, and that he had in fact got away with murder...

The truth is that he was having a row with the missus and lost the head... It wasnt in anyway premeditated, which you can simply deduce from the cock and bull story he came up with afterwards... Not that I'm defending Lilis, but I mean it's irresponsible for a "professional" presenter to publicly vilify him for more than what he is actually guilty of..

I dont remember Marian having reporters following Sharon Collins around when she actually DID try to have her husband murdered. How long did she server, Marian?

I agree, the carry on at the weekend was a carbon copy of the very worst of tabloid gutterpress ... we have no news so we'll make something into news.
    I too consider the sentence (even for manslaughter) appears extremly lenient but the way to address that is to work for a change in the sentencing policy not carry on a sleezy shadowing of someone who, like it or not, has served the sentence he received from the court.
    BTW, just to be fair, there certainly were newspaper reports on the whereabouts of Sharon Collins following her release.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Mammy doing yet another plug for her friends at Gorse Hill. Does anybody remember a fawnng, cringe inducing piece some years back with 'Seanie' (sic) Fitzpatrick before he was uncovered? How these RTE hacks get away with pimping their friends in the Golden Circle is beyond me. :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 478 ✭✭Rochester

He sounds like a petulant child.

I can understand his POV, as nobody would like to see his home / parents' home pulled away from them, but sympathy is lacking.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭kefir32

Pompous prat ... Get him off !!! He sounds just like I imagined, not an ounce of humility

• Advertisement

I just tuned in ... I'm assuming this is Jerry Beads?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,366 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Yeah it was the land league lad and the son.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,366 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

A millionaire ? Keep it to the real people Marian and whoever is pouring that water stop it

Hah. Sounds to me as if the original fruit and veg shop owner knew when to sell up.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

isnt it amazing how much time marion hands over to issues of massive, massive, amounts of money?

;)

I'd say Jenny Brannigan must be fuming.. Drive up to RTE and then Marion limits your time to about three minutes...

Did anybody else read anything into how Claire Byrne made reference to Brian Cowen and "What he said, how he looked"...

I thought he looked a bit drunk myself, I wonder is that was she was alluding to? Anybody else see it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Did anybody else read anything into how Claire Byrne made reference to Brian Cowen and "What he said, how he looked"...

I thought he looked a bit drunk myself, I wonder is that was she was alluding to? Anybody else see it?
    This is the same Claire Byrne who only a few months back was whinging about how her own appearance was super-analysed I presume?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

I don't think he looked drunk, more on the verge of a heart attack. Seemed out of breath, he better see a doctor would be what I would say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,224 ✭✭✭alaimacerc

padd b1975 wrote: »
    This is the same Claire Byrne who only a few months back was whinging about how her own appearance was super-analysed I presume?
    Riiight. Because obviously sexist tabloid critiques of these pushy media hussies being too fat, too thin, dressing up, dressing down, etc, are exactly comparable to wondering if the PM of a country was plastered and/or having a medical episode.

If Cowen were subject to the sort of scrutiny Byrne has been, he'd never have got out of bed in the morning, much less been elected to anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

alaimacerc wrote: »
    Riiight. Because obviously sexist tabloid critiques of these pushy media hussies being too fat, too thin, dressing up, dressing down, etc, are exactly comparable to wondering if the PM of a country was plastered and/or having a medical episode.

If Cowen were subject to the sort of scrutiny Byrne has been, he'd never have got out of bed in the morning, much less been elected to anything.
    Cowen is a private citizen.

The likes of Byrne(who clearly values her own privacy,unless she's got something to shill) should be above this "housewives across the garden wall" type gossiping at this point in her career.

It's hardly conduct becoming of a credible journalist.

padd b1975 wrote: »
    Cowen is a private citizen.

The likes of Byrne(who clearly values her own privacy,unless she's got something to shill) should be above this "housewives across the garden wall" type gossiping at this point in her career.

It's hardly conduct becoming of a credible journalist.

Oh, give over. We're not discussing (the discussion of) his career as "private citizen". (On a set of pensions that would make your eyes water, mind.) We're discussing a media appearance. When he was An Taoiseach.

Bluster about "privacy of a private citizen" in such circumstances will be laughed to as much scorn as it takes.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

RobertKK wrote: »
    I don't think he looked drunk, more on the verge of a heart attack. Seemed out of breath, he better see a doctor would be what I would say.

Cue him having massive medical problems just before he is to appear at the Banking inquiry!

Obviously due to medical advice he wont be able to appear...yada yada yada.

Cue him having massive medical problems just before he is to appear at the Banking inquiry!

Obviously due to medical advice he wont be able to appear...yada yada yada.

How very convenient.
    I suspect there might be a case of Enquirus Indisposicus in the offing.

Dan Jaman wrote: »
    How very convenient.
    I suspect there might be a case of Enquirus Indisposicus in the offing.

"Brian Cowen Is Unwell"?

• Advertisement

I remember hearing that controversial Morning Ireland interview live (on the way to work) a few years ago. At the time I was thinking to myself that B/Cowen actually sounded better than usual!!!

alaimacerc wrote: »
    "Brian Cowen Is Unwell"?

Makes a change from Jeffrey Bernard.

Makes a change from Jeffrey Bernard.

I think that was implied by what I said! </LisaSimpson>

You can expect to hear this lad with his own show on Newstalk pretty soon..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭delaad

Colm McCarthy, the original dismal scientist.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement