Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Marian Finucane

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

delaad wrote: »
    Colm McCarthy, the original dismal scientist.

He might be dour but I have a lot of time for his opinions. He doesn't suffer fools gladly.

A very good panel on the show yesterday, the kind of panel that I could easily have listened to for another hour or more. Nice bit of bite in the air with the Denis O Brien spokesman present. The basic message seemed to be that corporate and political Ireland are very intertwined.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Aidric wrote: »
    He might be dour but I have a lot of time for his opinions.
    Likewise
    He doesn't suffer fools gladly.
    Actually, I think he does - in a way. It's foolishness he doesn't stand for, but he will express his disagreement trenchantly and politely. Not a man for the ad hominem.
    A very good panel on the show yesterday, the kind of panel that I could easily have listened to for another hour or more. Nice bit of bite in the air with the Denis O Brien spokesman present. The basic message seemed to be that corporate and political Ireland are very intertwined.
    I missed the beginning, and don't know who the Denis O'Brien apologist was. But his interpretation of events was so patently one-sided that I felt I could not rely on what he said. That makes it into a PR failure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 907 ✭✭✭foxtrot101

I missed the beginning, and don't know who the Denis O'Brien apologist was. But his interpretation of events was so patently one-sided that I felt I could not rely on what he said.
    That's because his opinions were bought and paid for by DOB. He was introduced as "communications consultant representing Denis O'Brien - James Morrissey".

foxtrot101 wrote: »
    That's because his opinions were bought and paid for by DOB. He was introduced as "communications consultant representing Denis O'Brien - James Morrissey".
    I think O'Brien got bad value, because a good communications consultant would manage to sound believable.

I actually believe that O'Brien might have a case to make in relation to Siteserve, but so far it hasn't come across very well for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,224 ✭✭✭alaimacerc

I think O'Brien got bad value, because a good communications consultant would manage to sound believable.

I actually believe that O'Brien might have a case to make in relation to Siteserve, but so far it hasn't come across very well for him.
    Isn't the main mood music at the moment not that it was sold too cheap, "improperly" benefiting DOB, but that it was sold too dear, "improperly" benefiting the existing shareholders of an entity that was at that point entirely insolvent?

Or is everyone at this point just milling around in confusion, wondering aimlessly if it's one, the other, or (somehow!) both?

Aidric wrote: »
    He might be dour but I have a lot of time for his opinions. He doesn't suffer fools gladly.
    i.e., he's a bad-tempered pedaller of conventional right-wing economic orthodoxies. That there's such a large market for such, in the times we're in, says much about the deeply ingrained political preconceptions of the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭delaad

alaimacerc wrote: »
    i.e., he's a bad-tempered pedaller of conventional right-wing economic orthodoxies. That there's such a large market for such, in the times we're in, says much about the deeply ingrained political preconceptions of the country.

He's from a different age. If he was around in the Twenties he'ld be upfront and cheerleading for Blythe and the pension cut.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭serfboard

I was wondering why did they decide to "invite" this person on. Do all topics up for discussion on the Sunday review need to have a partipant's spokesperson involved? Then I wondered if it might be less a case of the show inviting him on, then DOB's spokesman inviting himself on - with the threat of a BAI complaint or legal action hanging in the air ...

One of first things the mouthpiece went on about was the Moriarty Tribunal - which wasn't being discussed at all. Says he (words to the effect of): "There is not one scintilla of evidence from a witness of any wrongdoing by Denis O'Brien".

Of course there's not one scintilla of evidence from a witness - the only witness who could give that kind of evidence is Michael Lowry - and he's up to his oxters in it!
    • Lowry "secured the winning" of the 1995 mobile licence for O'Brien.
    • O'Brien made two payments to Lowry in 1996 and 1999 totalling IR£500,000 (GB£147,000 and GB£300,000) and supported a loan of GB£420,000 given to Lowry in 1999, a benefit equivalent to a payment.
    • Lowry imparted substantive information to O'Brien which was "of significant value and assistance to him in securing the licence".
    • Lowry bypassed consideration by his Cabinet colleagues and thereby not only influenced, but delivered the result for Esat Digifone.
    • A US$50,000 donation to Fine Gael was made ... on behalf of Esat Digifone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 907 ✭✭✭foxtrot101

serfboard wrote: »
    I was wondering why did they decide to "invite" this person on. Do all topics up for discussion on the Sunday review need to have a partipant's spokesperson involved? Then I wondered if it might be less a case of the show inviting him on, then DOB's spokesman inviting himself on - with the threat of a BAI complaint or legal action hanging in the air ...

One of first things the mouthpiece went on about was the Moriarty Tribunal - which wasn't being discussed at all. Says he (words to the effect of): "There is not one scintilla of evidence from a witness of any wrongdoing by Denis O'Brien".

Of course there's not one scintilla of evidence from a witness - the only witness who could give that kind of evidence is Michael Lowry - and he's up to his oxters in it!
    The editor of the Sunday Times did point out that the Government fully accepted the Moriarty Tribunal findings at the time. Yet O'Brien is still able to tender for and win Government contracts and FG have recently been sounding out Lowry about supporting them after the next election. GUBU.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

The editor of the Sunday Times did point out that the Government fully accepted the Moriarty Tribunal findings at the time. Yet O'Brien is still able to tender for and win Government contracts and FG have recently been sounding out Lowry about supporting them after the next election. GUBU.

And frank flannery will be back running there election campaign!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭my friend

And frank flannery will be back running there election campaign!

Their, their

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Gergiev

Actually there was...his former friend and ESAT executive Barry Maloney gave evidence at the Tribunal that O'Brien had told him of payments he had made to Lowry to secure the contract.

Extraordinary that the 300k per year, 4 hours a week for 40 weeks hostess didn't know or recall this as Morrissey repeated his assertion several times during the show...

http://www.rte.ie/news/2001/0702/16517-moriarty/

To paraphrase another one of Morrissey's comments, Judge Moriarty didn't out 2 and 2 together and get 20, he actually got 600,000 - the value of the amounts he decided flowed from D'OB to Lowry...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭serfboard

Gergiev wrote: »
    Actually there was...his former friend and ESAT executive Barry Maloney gave evidence at the Tribunal that O'Brien had told him of payments he had made to Lowry to secure the contract.

Extraordinary that the 300k per year, 4 hours a week for 40 weeks hostess didn't know or recall this
    In fairness to Marian, I wouldn't expect her to remember a level of detail like this.

In other news, I wonder will Marian be a shoulder to cry on in her Saturday morning "wealthy people whinge" slot, as she puts a comforting arm around poor Brian O'Donell, who, to quote Gerry Beades, has been "put out on the street" :rolleyes:

In fairness to Marian, I wouldn't expect her to remember a level of detail like this.

In other news, I wonder will Marian be a shoulder to cry on in her Saturday morning "wealthy people whinge" slot, as she puts a comforting arm around poor Brian O'Donell, who, to quote Gerry Beades, has been "put out on the street" :rolleyes:

And into the back of a new Jag!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

Maybe she has a spare back room for pool old Gerry :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,599 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

It's a Royal!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

margie gets a scoop on the brit royal baby...

...and goes on about how it costs 6 grand a night to stay in that hospital.

christ is there ANY subject she cant bring to money?

the blokes royalty.

money means fuk all to him.

A 'Mrs. Brown's Boys' clip to brighten my day :mad:

"She was doing a one-woman show on her own."

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭CountyHurler

A 'Mrs. Brown's Boys' clip to brighten my day :mad:

I love Brendan's one liners, I have to say... :)

edit: oh good another one.. :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

I love Brendan's one liners, I have to say... :)

Mrs Browns one liners seem to consists of an ordinary sentence with a f**k or two thrown in to try to make it sound funny. It doesn't work for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,069 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

It's a Royal!

Oh great, another parasitic mouth to feed.
    Hold on a minute, I don't live there any more - and the RF don't cost me anything, any more.
    Perhaps it's because of that, there's a surprising fascination here with goings-on of the RF across there. Never understood it.

Victoria might be a good name choice - arrives late and in a mess.
    Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

Dan Jaman wrote: »
    Oh great, another parasitic mouth to feed.
    Hold on a minute, I don't live there any more - and the RF don't cost me anything, any more.
    Perhaps it's because of that, there's a surprising fascination here with goings-on of the RF across there. Never understood it.

Victoria might be a good name choice - arrives late and in a mess.

Rolled my eyes before when the Royal correspondent said Diana will be looking down on them happy. :rolleyes:

I'd say she'd be looking down with deja vu as the paparazzi hound Kate to her grave.

Ballymaloe, ballymaloe, ballymaloe.... What exactly do the Allen's have on RTE?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

Dave is in high spirits for this section of programme-hilarious

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

I hate the way they continually play O'Carroll clips and pretend he is the creative behind the writing of it. That 'Jinx' joke is as old as the hills, the only thing O'Carroll has added is a '****' or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

Happyman42 wrote: »
    I hate the way they continually play O'Carroll clips and pretend he is the creative behind the writing of it. That 'Jinx' joke is as old as the hills, the only thing O'Carroll has added is a '****' or two.

Timing might also have something to do with it :)

Callan57 wrote: »

Yeah; they're celebrating the centenary of their material.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

Callan57 wrote: »

The timing may be ok if you could suffer the llve version :) but on telly it frequently comes across as hammy in the extreme.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 367 ✭✭qweerty

I don't think the former press secretary warmed to Marian at all!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

qweerty wrote: »

Well, As I said in another post it was one stupid question after another. Does she not adapt a slightly supercilious tone when it comes to the Royals ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,822 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Correct, finished on a very frosty note.

I got the impression that he thought Marion was having an oul sneer at the Royal couple, and the reporters for having a media "scrum" outside the hospital.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,211 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Anyone know what TV programme that Fanning mentioned today?

OH can't remember name, said it sounded good. Documentary about some famous family whose son murdered or something.

NIMAN wrote: »
    Anyone know what TV programme that Fanning mentioned today?

OH can't remember name, said it sounded good. Documentary about some famous family whose son murdered or something.

The Jinx:The life and deaths of Robert Durst.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

It's very good. I've watched the first 5 episodes and will watch the final one tonight.

The Jinx:The life and deaths of Robert Durst.

Just reading the wiki article on him gives me the creeps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭jimmyw

It's a Royal!

Ah Royal my a**e, oh sorry wrong Royle :P

Dan Jaman wrote: »
    Just reading the wiki article on him gives me the creeps.

Wait till you watch the programme!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,740 ✭✭✭sudzs

Flippin royal baby is first thing on Marions list this morning. :rolleyes: Why is it even getting a mention??? It was an item on the news headlines yesterday coming before the news of an escaped murderer in Belfast http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/northern-ireland/killer-on-run-after-escape-police-warn-public-as-thug-thomas-valliday-slips-guards-during-ulster-hospital-visit-31189275.html

Incredible! :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Oops69

Would o rourke make her point and move on, she has such arrogance she thinks she can hijack the airwaves and waffle on fro 10 minutes without making any contribution of significance , incredible .

This fella is mad to get his first mortgage , would he ever go away and relax for a few years and enjoy himself.

Oops69 wrote: »
    Would o rourke make her point and move on, she has such arrogance she thinks she can hijack the airwaves and waffle on fro 10 minutes without making any contribution of significance , incredible .

Much like her Government record so!

My god, Gerard Howlin and Mary O'Rourke... And him congratulating her on what she did when she was Minister for Transport... Get up the yard.. And Howlin plamás-ing Marion...

"Marian there are private radio stations all over the country that compete with your program"....

Give me a break... Not many of those stations have State funding and could afford to pay anybody half a million for four hours a week. I think Marion has more in common with Dublin Bus than she does with any of the private sector radio stations.

Not sure I'd want any wet-behind-the-ears student of politics as President. That lad who was advocating it sounded about 12.

sudzs wrote: »
    Flippin royal baby is first thing on Marions list this morning. :rolleyes: Why is it even getting a mention???
    Marion seems to think that the way to go about "Royal 'stories'" is to obsess about them frenetically, but to do so in a slightly flip or arch tone. Because Republicanism!

It doesn't make any actual logic sense, but boy does there seem to be a market for it...

Seriously , is some one on this shows editorial board on drugs , an interview with Gilbert o Sullivan and Aine lawlor in this slot ! ...any slot .????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Oops69 wrote: »
    Seriously , is some one on this shows editorial board on drugs , an interview with Gilbert o Sullivan and Aine lawlor in this slot ! ...any slot .????

The drug of public funds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,800 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

I loved Gilbert O'sullivan Sullivan being a luvvie saying he didn't care about the money and was only interested in the music.

This from a guy who spent the best years of his career in a courtroom arguing about royalties!!

No fear of Aine taking the interview down that avenue though, too busy fake giggling....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,822 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

padd b1975 wrote: »
    I loved Gilbert O'sullivan Sullivan being a luvvie saying he didn't care about the money and was only interested in the music.

This from a guy who spent the best years of his career in a courtroom arguing about royalties!!

No fear of Aine taking the interview down that avenue though, too busy fake giggling....

What's he still hawking himself around at ' well past sell by' for so?

Up there with Neil Diamond, Garth Brooks, Lionel Ritchie, and many others,they all know poor Pat will part with the dosh easily.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement