Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Marian Finucane

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,740 ✭✭✭sudzs

Noel is going to have a stroke! :D

...oops wrong thread, The Marion Finucane (Aine Lawlor) Show is over!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,800 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

sudzs wrote: »
    Noel is going to have a stroke! :D

I hope that Independent Republican can afford to lose his deposit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,822 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

padd b1975 wrote: »
    I hope that Independent Republican can afford to lose his deposit.

What are we discussing now, Claire Byrne?

If so listening to some of the candidates pumping out the populist bull that I'm hearing, God help this country.

We are banjaxed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,069 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

It was listening to my dog rolling over on a bunch of squeaky toys.
    Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭jimmyw

WTF was Gerard Kean going on the show to correct something he said last night on the LLS? Who does he think he is, some kind of morale guardian?

Feck off, :confused: I would assume people who have diabetes know what their doing without taking any notice of Mr Kean......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭serfboard

jimmyw wrote: »
    WTF was Gerard Kean going on the show to correct something he said last night on the LLS? Who does he think he is, some kind of morale guardian?

Feck off, :confused: I would assume people who have diabetes know what their doing without taking any notice of Mr Kean......
    God love Gerard Kean, he's such an attention seeker.

My question is, are programmes in Ireland that short of guests that they have to have him on?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

Everybody wants change but nobody wants that change to impact negatively on them or their lives.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

I had to check the calendar when I heard John Drennan had joined Ré Nua :eek:

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/journalist-leaves-sunday-independent-to-join-renua-ireland-1.2200506

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

MrsD007 wrote: »
    I had to check the calendar when I heard John Drennan had joined Ré Nua :eek:

There fine Gael light, who will go the same way as all the other political party's went as soon as there nose is in the trough!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,404 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Eamon Ryan why is he on and Christ sake aine let the guests finish their points. Is this interrupting guests in the rte radio 1 handbook ?

• Advertisement

I hate hearing people from cork( my home county) talking. Our accent isn't as great on radio.

Jesus let her ****ing finish her point for **** sake😡😡😡

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

This is some amount of bull**** from the Minister Kathleen lynch. Still covering up!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

This is some amount of bull**** from the Minister Kathleen lynch. Still covering up!

She's being shown up for the ignorant incompetent politician that she is. It won't matter to her though, as she'll probably bail at the next election and take her generous pensions with her. Somehow I can't see her knocking on the doors of the Cork Northsiders and taking the flak for Labour's lies.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 22 going_bald

derek davis has turned into an insufferable dose this past few years

overweight people eat too much full stop , ive put on a stone and a half in the past year and i fully admit ive been eating more

im fourteen and a half stone and i used to be thirteen

going_bald wrote: »
    derek davis has turned into an insufferable dose this past few years

overweight people eat too much full stop , ive put on a stone and a half in the past year and i fully admit ive been eating more

im fourteen and a half stone and i used to be thirteen

I'm no fan of Derek but he is certainly talking a awful lot of sense this morning

Callan57 wrote: »
    I'm no fan of Derek but he is certainly talking a awful lot of sense this morning

he,s talking pure scutter

the opposite of what he says is the case , nowadays , all sorts of pseudo psychological blather is trotted out to excuse unhealthy eating

" fat shaming " and other slogans

the vast majority of people who are overweight are so because they eat too much , if this was untrue , their would be tonnes of people in africa who are obese and like davis , they could blame it on dodgy genes - hormones

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Good man Derek

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,740 ✭✭✭sudzs

I wish they would stop using the term overweight and use obese instead. If your child is overweight it is not necessarily child abuse, imo. But if your child is obese then I think it could be considered as child abuse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭CountyHurler

I think Derek Davis is being far too soft on this issue... He blames him being overweight on hormonal problems... Every time you would see him on TV he'd have a glass of wine or be eating something (usually fish)... And yet I bet if you ask him how he keeps the weight off, he will say he takes more exercise and eats less.

Parents should have to make sure that their kids are within certain weight parameters and if they are not they should have to start answering some hard questions as to why they are depriving their kids of a reasonable life. In the same way as they would have to account if their child was underweight..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

I think Derek Davis is being far too soft on this issue... He blames him being overweight on hormonal problems.

Sure of course it is hormonal problems.
    Those cream eclairs are chock full of hormones.......

I think Derek Davis is being far too soft on this issue... He blames him being overweight on hormonal problems... Every time you would see him on TV he'd have a glass of wine or be eating something (usually fish)... And yet I bet if you ask him how he keeps the weight off, he will say he takes more exercise and eats less.

Parents should have to make sure that their kids are within certain weight parameters and if they are not they should have to start answering some hard questions as to why they are depriving their kids of a reasonable life. In the same way as they would have to account if their child was underweight..

personal responsibility is the ultimate dirty word in todays ( nothing is my own fault ) world

davis is rationalising unhealthy eating and effectively saying their is nothing overweight people can do about it , this is a falsehood

if people were naturally overweight , then many in ehtiopia would be fat

That psephologist guy talks a lot of sense but when he starts talking about the Eurovision, all credibility goes flying out the window.

Comedy certainly IS hard. But it's certainly not as hard as Jason Byrne makes it look.. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭brooke 2

I wish they would stop using the term overweight and use obese instead. If your child is overweight it is not necessarily child abuse, imo. But if your child is obese then I think it could be considered as child abuse.

I know quite a few families consisting of very slim and very fat people. How does one explain that if there is not a genetical
    ingredient (no pun intended!) involved? This would lead me to
    agree with Derek Davis's contention that fat people lack a certain
    hormone which tells them when the body it is full.

There is no doubt that some people are cursed with a sweet tooth
    which is bad news for anyone with poor self control! My two children are tall and thin - they have inherited their paternal grandmother's lack of a 'sweet tooth', fortunately for them!! My
    daughter often has to remind me 'Mum, you know I don't take
    dessert!' I, on the other hand, love my dessert and have to constantly struggle with my liking for those delicious foods which
    I know are bad for me. :( Sometimes, I succeed while other times
    I do not!!

Basically, I believe we should all try to maintain a healthy weight
    and to encourage our children to do so. However, the issue can
    be rather complex at times. My children inherited the thin gene
    so, I had no difficulty in trying to help them keep to a healthy
    weight. If they had taken after me, with my love for sweet foods,
    I would have had a struggle on my hands, I imagine!! But, the
    point is, I would have made the effort. When my first child was
    born, my doctor pleaded with me: 'Please don't let him be a fat baby.' As he looked like a younger version of James Reilly, I felt
    his request was heartfelt!!

Personally, I have no time for fat-shaming, but I absolutely seethe
    when I see parents allow children eat all around them. There
    will have to be a great deal of banging on the drum before people
    like that get the message.

Saw this recently on FB:

'FOOD is the most abused anxiety drug. EXERCISE is the most
    underutilised antidepressant.'

Speaking purely for myself (others may be different and I don't know what they're like), I regard the tendency to pile on weight as a survival mechanism from times past, when we never knew where the next meal was coming from, so when calories are abundant, we pack it away. This can happen through over-eating a single meal, or slight over-eating just a little bit too much every day for years.
    My weight loss of going from 143kg in 2009 to 88kg today has been a journey of discovery and yet, it all boiled down to one simple thing....

EAT LESS THAN YOU USE.

Funnily enough, that's what responsible dieticians have been saying for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Gergiev

padd b1975 wrote: »
    I loved Gilbert O'sullivan Sullivan being a luvvie saying he didn't care about the money and was only interested in the music.

This from a guy who spent the best years of his career in a courtroom arguing about royalties!!

No fear of Aine taking the interview down that avenue though, too busy fake giggling....

Could have done without Lawlor sniggering when O'Sullivan described a very ill Peggy Lee in a wheelchair and oxygen mask in the recording studio.

A new low at this level - what was she thinking of?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,224 ✭✭✭alaimacerc

I wish they would stop using the term overweight and use obese instead.
    "Clinically" the two have different definitions.

I put that in quotes as it's generally defined in terms of BMI, which is a mathematically illiterate way of measuring anything. What with people being three-dimensional entities, surprisingly enough, as opposed to power laws with a exponent that's spuriously 2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,874 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Derek Davis died this morning. RIP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭brooke 2

Was shocked to hear that. He has been on radio and TV quite a bit recently. Ironic that he underwent surgery to lose weight so that he might live longer. He
    spoke very movingly of becoming a grandfather during the past year. Condolences to his wife and family.

RIP

Marion away yet again... Hard to believe that Derek Davis is dead.. He sounded so well last week... I didnt agree with him on a lot of things, but he was always entertaining.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,599 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Good tribute by Aine this morning.

One final question for Jerry Buttimer???

Try and get an answer out of him for the one that he's not answering..

"You can now podcast The Marian Finucane show"

Well that's great, at least Marian will get to hear it herself... :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Claude Burgundy

Aine interviewing one of the homeless guys on Saturday's show......"is there anything good about living on the streets" que silence while guy wonders did she really just fcuking say that:eek::D

I have to say i thought her interviewing of the homeless community in general was awful.

• Advertisement

Aine interviewing one of the homeless guys on Saturday's show......"is there anything good about living on the streets" que silence while guy wonders did she really just fcuking say that:eek::D

I have to say i thought her interviewing of the homeless community in general was awful.

I got the feeling she just couldn't picture trying to cope without her salary and (I assume) fairly decent house.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Tá sí diabolical.

• Site Banned Posts: 77 ✭✭Unruly Hector

I think one of the serious problems for the No campaign was that anybody voting No was effectively aligning themselves with The Iona Institute, since there was nobody in our media / celebrity / popular culture who was prepared to put themselves forward as a leader for the campaign... Also, the fact the referendum was frequently referred to as the "The Marriage EQUALITY" was very unfair, as the inference would then be made that if you voted No, you were not in favour of equality..

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,753 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

If you voted no, you're not in favour of equality. It's that simple.

<cue the Iona Institute>

• Advertisement

I think one of the serious problems for the No campaign was that anybody voting No was effectively aligning themselves with The Iona Institute, since there was nobody in our media / celebrity / popular culture who was prepared to put themselves forward as a leader for the campaign... Also, the fact the referendum was frequently referred to as the "The Marriage EQUALITY" was very unfair, as the inference would then be made that if you voted No, you were not in favour of equality..

In honesty I would never, ever vote for anything the Iona gang promoted, David, Ronan, Breda & Co make me reach for the off button instinctively.

It will make no difference to me but I am truly delighted with today's result and for once I can honestly say I am immensly proud to be Irish.
    Colm O'Gorman, Noel Whelan, Leo & the Yes campaing in general have done a great service to this republic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭GSF

What about that Dublin GAA guy? Does he not fit that bill?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

GSF wrote: »
    What about that Dublin GAA guy? Does he not fit that bill?

The religion teacher?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 921 ✭✭✭Ciaran

Also, the fact the referendum was frequently referred to as the "The Marriage EQUALITY" was very unfair, as the inference would then be made that if you voted No, you were not in favour of equality..

In fairness, that was the name of the bill. That's what was on the ballot papers. I don't think you can blame the media for using the term.

• Site Banned Posts: 77 ✭✭Unruly Hector

Ciaran wrote: »
    In fairness, that was the name of the bill. That's what was on the ballot papers. I don't think you can blame the media for using the term.

No Ciaran, it's the Government I blame for that one... :-)

Did anybody hear the interaction between Mattie McGrath and Noel Whelan today... on the Claire byrne show... it was very tetchy between them..

Did anybody hear the interaction between Mattie McGrath and Noel Whelan today... on the Claire byrne show... it was very tetchy between them..

Two Fianna Fáil buddies? It's all pantomime.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,822 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

No Ciaran, it's the Government I blame for that one... :-)

Yes heard it.

Mattie went a bit 'postal' and I think I would agree with him as for me anyway,Whelan is one annoying person.

Byrne let it get a bit out of control to my mind

As a matter of interest, the whole crew of panellists on CB apart from Myers who set his stall out fairly annoyed me big time.

We'll have to start a thread on the Claire Byrne Show, or whatever it's called:D

Yes heard it.

Mattie went a bit 'postal' and I think I would agree with him as for me anyway,Whelan is one annoying person.

Byrne let it get a bit out of control to my mind

As a matter of interest, the whole crew of panellists on CB apart from Myers who set his stall out fairly annoyed me big time.

We'll have to start a thread on the Claire Byrne Show, or whatever it's called:D

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=94683568

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭my friend

Marian very proud of the Irish Navy hoovering up the increased flotilla of economic refugees floating towards Europe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,879 ✭✭✭signostic

my friend wrote: »
    Marian very proud of the Irish Navy hoovering up the increased flotilla of economic refugees floating towards Europe

Are we vulnerable to an invasion now that our navy is on the high seas of the Med?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement