Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Marian Finucane

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Dirigent wrote: »
    Today's show was a long promo for a private ambulance company. For the cost of a tank of diesel, they got plug after plug, fair dues to them. But what was the relevance of sending an ambulance on a journey on a fine Saturday morning, as opposed to navigating through rush hour traffic or roadworks?

Only heard the start of the programme this morning.

How long did it take them to get from Roscommon to Galway in the end ?

Thats a good point about Saturday afternoon traffic too. Piece of piss.
    I often spent the guts of an hour on the Headford Road / New Bridge on a wet Friday evening.
    Even vehicles with blue lights and sirens get held up in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

Lapin wrote: »
    Only heard the start of the programme this morning.

How long did it take them to get from Roscommon to Galway in the end ?

Thats a good point about Saturday afternoon traffic too. Piece of piss.
    I often spent the guts of an hour on the Headford Road / New Bridge on a wet Friday evening.
    Even vehicles with blue lights and sirens get held up in it.

1hr 15mins I think ... exactly as the HSE said apparently. But presumably an ambulance travelling with an extremly ill patient would be using it's flasher lights & likely have a garda car leading. I fail to see what the point of this morning's exercise was except as said to give cheap advertising to a private ambulance company.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭donaghs

Heard people saying the show still going, but she's missing again. Are we in the "grand vacances"/school holidays already?

donaghs wrote: »
    Heard people saying the show still going, but she's missing again. Are we in the "grand vacances"/school holidays already?

More a case of limping along to be honest ... ah yes Marion is on her teacher's holidays again.
    At least Pat Kenny had the decency to make a bit of an effort this year even if he did sound bored for the last month.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭newcavanman

Dopey Claire Byrne and anti nato tom clonan , a match made in heaven . They bemoan what the USA and others do in Afghanistan , conveniently forgetting that it is UN mandated . What exactly do they propose in the place of whats been done at the moment? que the usual platitudes about engaging with the enemy, which is slightly impracitcal when you are dealing with someone who believes they are doing Gods work . Good to see that while Maid Marian is away, her simplistic childish view of the world carries on in her absence

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

Dopey Claire Byrne and anti nato tom clonan , a match made in heaven . They bemoan what the USA and others do in Afghanistan , conveniently forgetting that it is UN mandated . What exactly do they propose in the place of whats been done at the moment? que the usual platitudes about engaging with the enemy, which is slightly impracitcal when you are dealing with someone who believes they are doing Gods work . Good to see that while Maid Marian is away, her simplistic childish view of the world carries on in her absence

The United States didn't have a UN mandate when they initially invaded Afghanistan but that's never stopped them before. I just find it funny that Uncle Sam are fighting against the very people they helped to put there in the first place. They only became interested again in Afghanistan when they found out that their former buddy Osama Bin Laden was hiding out there. Up until then they didn't give two hoots about the Taliban's outrageously oppressive regime.

Afghanistan is a microcosm for the crazy, hypocritical, fcuked up US foreign policy that we've also seen exemplified in Central America, the Middle East and other parts of the world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭GSF

No mention of Obama's 2008 campaign about Iraq being the wrong war and how he wanted to ramp up the Afghan war. Although not surprising that Claire Byrne didnt pick up on that.

Mr Fat Cat Soden got away lightly this morning too. I'm sure he feels comfortable in RTE.

GSF wrote: »
    No mention of Obama's 2008 campaign about Iraq being the wrong war and how he wanted to ramp up the Afghan war. Although not surprising that Claire Byrne didnt pick up on that.

Mr Fat Cat Soden got away lightly this morning too. I'm sure he feels comfortable in RTE.

Yea back with his 'to get the best you have to pay big bucks' bullshít again ... why didn't someone put it to him that we did pay the mega bucks & what did we get? (I wouldn't insult monkeys)

Callan57 wrote: »
    Yea back with his 'to get the best you have to pay big bucks' bullshít again ... why didn't someone put it to him that we did pay the mega bucks & what did we get? (I wouldn't insult monkeys)

I can't understand why anybody would want to listen to him or take him seriously, considering his past "peccadilloes"? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Anybody listen in to it this morning lads? Was gonna pull down the podcast but Claire Byrne usually makes the show very uninteresting..

• Advertisement

Didn't listen in myself Jon, for much the same reason.

I tuned in to the fireworks over on the '"Dunphy show" on NT instead.

John Waters doing what John Waters does best.

I tuned in to the fireworks over on the '"Dunphy show" on NT instead.

yeah just pulling that Newstalk podcast down now (coming down awful slow for some reason).. I usually pull down the three Sunday morning shows, but the thoughts of listening to Claire for two hours doesnt really appeal, unless she has somebody really interesting on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭Dirigent

John Waters doing what John Waters does best.

Writing mediocre pop songs?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,559 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Anybody listen in to it this morning lads? Was gonna pull down the podcast but Claire Byrne usually makes the show very uninteresting..
    I listened to it this morning but for the life of me I can't remember who was on.

I listened to it this morning but for the life of me I can't remember who was on.

It had the same effect on me ... who was on???? Oh yea John McGuinness & Frank Fitzsimons are the only ones I remember. More of the Gay Byrne/Michaél Martin comedy show. It would have put me back to sleep except I was out walking while listening.

It would have put me back to sleep except I was out walking while listening.

Sleepwalking :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

David Quinn has to be the rudest panellist I have heard in a while. Combine that with his hopes of a 'bow to the Pope' type of 21st century Ireland.

Byrne was too lenient with letting him interrupt others.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭delaad

David Quinn has to be the rudest panellist I have heard in a while. Combine that with his hopes of a 'bow to the Pope' type of 21st century Ireland.

Well said. Count the number of times, when cornered, he'll use an aggressive, interrogative "Okay?" at the end of a statement, thus challenging anyone who would attempt to contradict what he said. This tactic usually works, so cutting dead any debate whatsoever before it begins.

I find Jim Power is another who uses this strategem, particularly when it is even mildly suggested that he once supported the conduct of the Banks and Building Societies before the bankruptcy of Lehman Bros blew the a**e out of them.....okay????;)

delaad wrote: »
    I find Jim Power is another who uses this strategem, particularly when it is even mildly suggested that he once supported the conduct of the Banks and Building Societies before the bankruptcy of Lehman Bros blew the a**e out of them.....okay????;)

Don't get me started on Jim Power because I wouldn't be able to stop. :mad:

I remember a few years back on one of the countless shows he appeared on, his objectiveness was challenged because of the fact that he works for Friends First. Power said that he was appearing in a private capacity. So why the need for every presenter to mention ad nauseum that he works for Friends First? :rolleyes:

rant warning

Oh I've been banging that drum for a while now Harry.. There are a few things that REALLY bug me about Jim Power and his inclusion on these types of panel shows..

1. It is never made clear enough to people that he works for a private company and therefore has a vested interest..
    2. They take no responsiblity for the bad advice this clown gave people during the boom time.. Being on such a public forum, he no doubt influenced some people in to thinking that there was "no property" boom and it was wise to buy a property.
    3. The most unbelievable thing is that he is STILL asked to contribute to these shows... After Jim got everything all wrong, he should never have been allowed to contribute to any of these shows again.. Allowing him to do so is irresponsible broadcasting... RTE should have said to Jim, "Listen, you're not very good at this economics stuff, why dont you try something else"...

Personally I think the f**ker should be forced to do 10,000 hours community service building a statue of Morgan Kelly out of paper maché.

• Advertisement

rant warning

Oh I've been banging that drum for a while now Harry.. There are a few things that REALLY bug me about Jim Power and his inclusion on these types of panel shows..

1. It is never made clear enough to people that he works for a private company and therefore has a vested interest..
    2. They take no responsiblity for the bad advice this clown gave people during the boom time.. Being on such a public forum, he no doubt influenced some people in to thinking that there was "no property" boom and it was wise to buy a property.
    3. The most unbelievable thing is that he is STILL asked to contribute to these shows... After Jim got everything all wrong, he should never have been allowed to contribute to any of these shows again.. Allowing him to do so is irresponsible broadcasting... RTE should have said to Jim, "Listen, you're not very good at this economics stuff, why dont you try something else"...

Personally I think the f**ker should be forced to do 10,000 hours community service building a statue of Morgan Kelly out of paper maché.[/QUOTE]

Brilliant!

And if I may add, bet over the head with a copy of every puff piece he ever wrote saying that property was good and "the fundamentalsl" of the economy were sound, anytime he slacks off in his building duties.

STILL advertising the show as the "Marian Finucane" show... I'd say even the voiceover guy is embarrassed at this stage...

Dont really put much credence in that ex Irish Army "security" expert.. He never tells me anything that I dont know already..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

on saturday the announcer before the news called it claire byrne and guests.

:)

it really is getting beyond a joke.

im actually starting to wonder who's been absent the most, marrion or eamo ?

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Bobba Fett

Marian back today by the looks of it.

who's this mad ol biddy on the claire byrne show ?

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,688 ✭✭✭storker

I remember a few years back on one of the countless shows he appeared on, his objectiveness was challenged because of the fact that he works for Friends First. Power said that he was appearing in a private capacity. So why the need for every presenter to mention ad nauseum that he works for Friends First? :rolleyes:

Was he one of those who confidently peddled the idea of the "soft landing"? I guess we're lucky it wasn't a hard one...

Stork

have to admit this interview with ballagh is very good.

im amazed the bloke is able to do it so soon.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭Rebelheart

So Finucane is back now, a week after most schoolteachers started back. And she's earning over €600,000 per year for these four hours per week.

What a joke. As I said, her salary would pay for between 15 and 20 teachers or SNAs in schools which really need the extra help. In the reasonable judgement of most people she is awful, awful value for money.

It's indefensible. What we all need to know now is when the contracts of Finucane, Duffy, Kenny and all the rest of them are up for renegotiation and what is the name of the person who is responsible for defending the taxpayers' interest in those negotiations?

shure she costs less than 10 school teachers at the top of their grade !

isnt she worth that ?

:):):)

• Advertisement

Disgusted that she didn't even have a word of thanks for her summer stand ins ... started off the show as if she'd been there yesterday. At least Pat Kenny had the good grace to thank those who covered his show while he was off .... bad mannered on Marian's part IMO but I suppose it was deliberate to deflect attention from her 2 hour a week job and teacher's holidays.

Robert Ballagh interview was interesting but I don't understand why he didn't talk to a doctor about his wife's condition ... seems very odd to me that she was admitted to hosp for an operation then discharged without having had any operation and her husband or family never asked why no op?

I find it very difficult to take Marian's comments on the 'excesses' of the Celtic Tiger when she is one of the few still raking in the excesses ... she simply has no credibility whatever on this issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭bureau2009

I find it very difficult to take Marian's comments on the 'excesses' of the Celtic Tiger when she is one of the few still raking in the excesses ... she simply has no credibility whatever on this issue.
    + 1000%

Utterly, utterly scandalous and zero creditability as a voice of the people.

Have to say the Ballagh interview was very good. Cant remember much of the rest of the show, but I have a generalised memory of it being quite enjoyable.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 alfagirl

Anyone hear in what newspaper the minute-by-minute 9/11 report, with reference to the conspiracy theories, is published today? Tom McGurk and Peter Murtagh both referenced it and thought it very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 alfagirl

alfagirl wrote: »
    Anyone hear in what newspaper the minute-by-minute 9/11 report, with reference to the conspiracy theories, is published today? Tom McGurk and Peter Murtagh both referenced it and thought it very good.

Found it - it was Anthony Summers, The Eleventh Day (http://www.anthonysummers.com) that they were talking about though they referenced an article in the London Independent too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 905 ✭✭✭easychair

I couldn’t believe it when I heard Celia Larkin was on Marian’s programme today giving us the benefit of her views on debt forgiveness and other important economic issues. I switched over to Dunphy and am still aghast that someone in RTE thinks anyone in the country wants to hear Celia Larkin’s views on anything, let alone economic issues.

With Tubridy’s ratings plummeting both on radio and TV, something is going seriously wrong in RTE.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

easychair wrote: »
    I couldn’t believe it when I heard Celia Larkin was on Marian’s programme today giving us the benefit of her views on debt forgiveness and other important economic issues. I switched over to Dunphy and am still aghast that someone in RTE thinks anyone in the country wants to hear Celia Larkin’s views on anything, let alone economic issues.

With Tubridy’s ratings plummeting both on radio and TV, something is going seriously wrong in RTE.
    I am no fan of hers but in fairness to her she pulled no punches when expressing her opinion about Bertie's recent whining.
    "I wish he would just shut up" was the phrase she used.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

padd b1975 wrote: »
    I am no fan of hers but in fairness to her she pulled no punches when expressing her opinion about Bertie's recent whining.
    "I wish he would just shut up" was the phrase she used.

Aye found that somewhat amusing myself...but was she really saying it 'cos she meant it or because it's popular to hate Aherne now and it's better to seem distant from that toxicity?
    A few short years ago you'd have heard not a bad word said about that man in the very same studio. Larkin is probably well annoyed that she's missing out on a high paid secretarial work for the good Bertie these days...

Marian's little head to head with that Mullen guy (?) who was trying to support the Holy See/Bishops/whoever was pretty funny. She doesn't take any messing...he managed to get a few sly digs in at her though about her interview style.

I couldn’t believe it when I heard Celia Larkin was on Marian’s programme today giving us the benefit of her views on debt forgiveness and other important economic issues.

I feel actually fell asleep listening to Matthews and a few of the others talking over each other... Heard Dunphy on the podcast and he was sneering about Celia Larkin.. and saying things like "if you dont like what we're discussing, switch over to Marian Finucane"... as if he's some sort of rebel against the system (who he actually works for himself)

Larkin also has a vested interest in debt forgiveness. Her business folded a couple of years ago and she still owes money as far as I know..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

I'd say there's very few in the Dublin meeja jetset who don't have a vested interest in debt forgiveness, hence the continued exposure and attempted cajoling of public opinion on numerous fronts...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 905 ✭✭✭easychair

Larkin also has a vested interest in debt forgiveness. Her business folded a couple of years ago and she still owes money as far as I know..

As far as you know?

I've not heard anyone advocating debt forgiveness for a business which has gone under.

• Advertisement

As far as you know?

She had a large personal debt when she appeared on Liveline last year...

http://www.thejournal.ie/celia-larkin-breaks-down-on-liveline-2010-07/

Granted, I dont know if she would eligible for any such debt forgiveness, or if she even bought properties... but something just doesnt sit easily with me about her getting involved in such things... given her involvement with the architect of the property boom/bust..

Dont forget the TV3 documentary tomorrow btw, people..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭Fulton Crown

Rebelheart wrote: »
    It's indefensible. What we all need to know now is when the contracts of Finucane, Duffy, Kenny and all the rest of them are up for renegotiation and what is the name of the person who is responsible for defending the taxpayers' interest in those negotiations?

Very difficult to get an answer to that question pal !

The hierarchy out in The Pink Palace is a very closed shop and you can bet the goon who agreed this ridiculous salary and conditions will not stick his/her well fed head over the parapet!

Government shoul;d refuse to sanction any more license fee increases until these way over the top salaries are sorted out.

Fair play to the INDO for being the only paper with the balls to raise these issues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

I feel actually fell asleep listening to Matthews and a few of the others talking over each other... Heard Dunphy on the podcast and he was sneering about Celia Larkin.. and saying things like "if you dont like what we're discussing, switch over to Marian Finucane"... as if he's some sort of rebel against the system (who he actually works for himself)

Indeed, indeed, that's a well versed tactic by the honchos in Montrose, try to promote the 'rebel' image whilst pocketing megabucks at John Q taxpayers expense.

Fair play Jon at least you, like a lot of other discerning posters here, are not fooled by that auld blather.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭serfboard

Although I agree with this ...
    Government shoul;d refuse to sanction any more license fee increases until these way over the top salaries are sorted out.
    Fair play to the INDO for being the only paper with the balls to raise these issues.

... you can't say that the Indo is a disinterested party. Both are competing for advertising, after all. And one of the biggest shareholders in The Indo owns Today FM and Newstalk.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Caledonman

Quite untrue..... She left no debts whatsoever.. her database and gift vouchers were honoured by another beauty salon in Clontarf.. a few clients were disgruntled that she didn't give much notice in closing down, but they were not left out of pocket.. all staff were fully paid too as they got jobs in Clontarf..
    No she is not a friend of mine, my wife was a customer of both the old salon, and also in the salon in Clontarf.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Rubik.

Caledonman wrote: »
    Quite untrue..... She left no debts whatsoever.. her database and gift vouchers were honoured by another beauty salon in Clontarf.. a few clients were disgruntled that she didn't give much notice in closing down, but they were not left out of pocket.. all staff were fully paid too as they got jobs in Clontarf..
    No she is not a friend of mine, my wife was a customer of both the old salon, and also in the salon in Clontarf.

I don't know what her financial situation is, but Finucane did have a sly dig at her...

" You're been very quiet in this discussion on debt forgiveness Celia."

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭bureau2009

Marian Finucane's show started at 11.30 am last Saturday instead of the usual 11.00 am, owing to the Irish/Australia rugby match.

Doing a rough calculation, I reckon Ms Finucane needs to refund RTE Euro 1,250 for not working for that half hour.

After all, when you're being paid Euro 2,500 per hour and you're absent for part of it I don't think it's unreasonable or unfair that you forfeit a portion of it pro-rata.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

bureau2009 wrote: »
    Marian Finucane's show started at 11.30 am last Saturday instead of the usual 11.00 am, owing to the Irish/Australia rugby match.

Doing a rough calculation, I reckon Ms Finucane needs to refund RTE Euro 1,250 for not working for that half hour.

After all, when you're being paid Euro 2,500 per hour and you're absent for part of it I don't think it's unreasonable or unfair that you forfeit a portion of it pro-rata.

She seemed genuinely startled that O'Gara and Sexton could be on the pitch at the same time. Gave up not long after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,730 ✭✭✭europa11

Marzie will be hoping for a long Irish run so, more 9:30am rugby games running into her show and she'll be laughing even louder on her way to Il Banca Toscana.

Talk about money for old rope.

Anyone notice how often she uses the expression 'so to speak' .. it's really getting on my nerves. Just aswell she doesn't do much radio or that would drive me to drink - so to speak

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement