Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Marian Finucane

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

...and whatever you're having yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Callan57 wrote: »
    Anyone notice how often she uses the expression 'so to speak' ..

The "Uncle Tom Cobbley and all" one gets to me.. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

The "Uncle Tom Cobbley and all" one gets to me.. :mad:

God yea that gets to me too

God yea that gets to me too

Thank god she only there three weeks of the year, or I would get really sick of hearing it.. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

She also has an annoying habit of saying The Roman Catholic Church, with the emphasis on ROMAN. I don't know why she just doesn't call it the Catholic Church.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

She also has an annoying habit of saying The Roman Catholic Church, with the emphasis on ROMAN. I don't know why she just doesn't call it the Catholic Church.

Catholic just means 'universal'. Protestants, Methodists etc see themselves as part of the universal church, so it is right and proper to refer to it as The Roman Catholic Church when referring to that bunch of the deluded, controlled by the Vatican, which is in Rome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

Happyman42 wrote: »
    Catholic just means 'universal'. Protestants, Methodists etc see themselves as part of the universal church, so it is right and proper to refer to it as The Roman Catholic Church when referring to that bunch of the deluded, controlled by the Vatican, which is in Rome.

Yes, I do know what catholic means, but it seems to me as if she has some sort of agenda when she calls it the Roman Catholic Church - not that I'm an apologist for the Catholic Church or anything.

it seems to me as if she has some sort of agenda when she calls it the Roman Catholic Church

Nope, she's just saying it right.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,730 ✭✭✭europa11

Co-incidentally, Marzie also likes to throw in the occasional "..When in Rome.." now and then :)

• Advertisement

europa11 wrote: »
    Co-incidentally, Marzie also likes to throw in the occasional "..When in Rome.." now and then :)

I see your "When In Rome" and raise you a "Since God was a child"... :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

I see your "When In Rome" and raise you a "Since God was a child"... :D

I'll double your "Since God was a child" with "And so on, and so on, and so forth!... :D

Lapin wrote: »
    I'll double your "Since God was a child" with "And so on, and so on, and so forth!... :D

Please, please I was barely coping with 'so to speak' ... you guys will have me totally traumatised :confused:

Please, please I was barely coping with 'so to speak' ... you guys will have me totally traumatised :confused:

"Hello ... and a very good morning to you".. :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

I have no idea who Marian's guest was for the first half an hour this morning but having sat through it in the car, I now have a monumental headache.
    Christ, she could talk for Ireland.
    Does anyone else get the impression that she didn't get on with her father. :rolleyes:

Mattie McGrath is on now to compound my headache. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Indeed I had it on in the background and slowly became aware of a droning sound, I asked myself "why am I listening to this?" and retuned to BBC Radio 4

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

pimping RTEs news "comedy" again.

why do i get the feeling marion plays the ONLY bits of it that are actually funny out of the whole half hour ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭poppyvalley

I have no idea who Marian's guest was for the first half an hour this morning but having sat through it in the car, I now have a monumental headache.
    Does anyone else get the impression that she didn't get on with her father. :rolleyes:

Mattie McGrath is on now to compound my headache. :(
    Totally agree. Didint hear mattie cos I swiched off

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,559 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

I have no idea who Marian's guest was for the first half an hour
    Same here.

On the odd occasion I tune in to hear what someone who's paid half a million Euro a year sounds like, I normally zone right back out again as invariably the topic is either one of (1) Guest with abusive childhood (2) Guest who paid too much for property in the good years and has now gone bankrupt or (3) economic-and-or-meeja-rent-a-gob explaining how (2) happened.

As Mike said, BBC Radio 4 on a Saturday morning/afternoon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

"Thank you very (very) much, inDEED ...for that..."

Every bloody time! While she obviously already thinking about the next cue

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭jimmyw

:(

Well she did mention that about her father.She is some kind of writer.Never heard of her before.Weird kind of upbringing though.

Anna mcPartlin
    http://chicklitreviews.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/anna-mcpartlin.jpg

Just in case you wanted to know.
    http://annamcpartlin.com/?page_id=2

• Advertisement

They spent the first hour doing a hatchet job on McGuinness, then she goes on to say that she was "sad to hear" of the death of Gusty Spence (murderer of an 18 year old Catholic).. :confused:

Anywhere that I can see those other eight Norris letters that she was talking about?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

They spent the first hour doing a hatchet job on McGuinness, then she goes on to say that she was "sad to hear" of the death of Guy Spence (murderer of an 18 year old Catholic).. :confused:

Anywhere that I can see those other eight Norris letters that she was talking about?

Think it's Gusty Spence that died, Guy Spence is a much younger man.

The Norris letters haven't been published. Another error by Norris in not revealing their existence at the time of the previous leak.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭GSF

North Great Georges Street - try the locked box in the atttic.

Amazing they're so worked up over Martin McGuinness they give half the show to discussing him .... in fairness though I do think Marian did a reasonable job in being fair & impartial (Joe Duffy could sure learn a lesson)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭donaghs

On the odd occasion I tune in to hear what someone who's paid half a million Euro a year sounds like,

I still tune in occassionally just to hear what an Irish presenter paid that much for 4 hours on air sounds like.

As previous poster also said, after about 15 mins trying to figure out who she is actually interviewing, I switch over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

"It has to be said" gulp swallow, in a very deep voice (one minute), high pitched falsetto the next, whiskey & fags fulled voice :)

it has to be said . . . .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭NickDrake

complaining that she had a very busy morning this morning. Said she had to read all the papers and try and watch the match.

650k for that? I cannot believe her. She has some neck and we have to fork out our hard earned cash to pay for this lazy, untalented and actually quiet stupid woman.

I cannot believe more is not made of her crazy earnings and so much is being made of the sex and the city one going for president.

NickDrake wrote: »
    complaining that she had a very busy morning this morning. Said she had to read all the papers and try and watch the match.

650k for that? I cannot believe her. She has some neck and we have to fork out our hard earned cash to pay for this lazy, untalented and actually quiet stupid woman.

I cannot believe more is not made of her crazy earnings and so much is being made of the sex and the city one going for president.

The Sex & the City one ... that made me laugh (not easy on a Monday!)
    In honesty it is a bit unfair to describe Marian as 'untalented and actually quiet stupid' ... but grossly & obscenely overpaid certainly

Anyone listening yesterday morning?
    ...was worth sitting through the first hour to hear the bol' Eoghan Harris call in complaining about something Gemma Hussey said and then getting put in his place by another panellist and Marian herself when he started pining about the Indo not having a blatantly obvious anti-republican agenda.

Yeah I heard it Wertz.. Hussey pretty much completely backed down when Harris rang in ... I dont like Harris.. interesting to hear about his run ins with the shinners all the same..

Oh oh oh ... and Marian is on with Mike Murphy on The Big Interview next Thursday.. Wonder will Mike ask the hard questions... ?

• Advertisement

Oh oh oh ... and Marian is on with Mike Murphy on The Big Interview next Thursday.. Wonder will Mike ask the hard questions... ?

One of the big questions I'd like answered is why is Murphy being taken back into the fold with such a high profile gig...couldn't be that the property business has been shot to sh*t and times are hard, now could it...
    I'd say that this interview and the others that follow is another of RTÉ's wagon circling excersises, pimping the big names and portraying them as normal people, before the tide of public opinion on wage levels for Marian et al, breaches the barriers.
    Interesting that they're being held in the lobby of the convention centre too; nice backdrop for such talk of the good old days before the "unpleasantness"...wonder how much we're paying for that...

Wertz wrote: »
    One of the big questions I'd like answered is why is Murphy being taken back into the fold with such a high profile gig...couldn't be that the property business has been shot to sh*t and times are hard, now could it...

Well to be fair to Mike, he said (on The Late Late Show two weeks ago) that the only he is back on TV IS because he needs the money.. He said that he never liked the fame of being on TV, but he had no choice as his investments and employment are gone....

I'm waiting to see if he asks "How can you justify taking soooo much money for soooo little hours broadcasting"..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Well to be fair to Mike, he said (on The Late Late Show two weeks ago) that the only he is back on TV IS because he needs the money.. He said that he never liked the fame of being on TV, but he had no choice as his investments and employment are gone....

I'm waiting to see if he asks "How can you justify taking soooo much money for soooo little hours broadcasting"..

Why does he need the money?

Nothing to do with being greedy we hope:cool:

Give the young people a break ffs.

Why does he need the money?

That's the interview with Tubridy on the RTE Player.. Well worth a watch.. he has a few digs at the Tubster as well..

http://www.rte.ie/player/#!v=1114896

Not a purveyor of the LLS so didn't see that but it's no secret that his dabbling with property hasn't went well (a lot like gaybo's pension losing much of it's shine)...but these (not so) golden oldies just run back to the mother's milk in Donnybrook and pick up where they left off, and as flut said they stand in the way of some fresh faces and perhaps even new talent.
    That said, Murphy is one of the better products of his era and I never had much of a problem with him as a presenter/interviewer (and the live Mike thing was decent as well)...but that doesn't excuse this rubbish of going back to the safe money when they left it all behind for the extravagance of more monied professions that later soured...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭Rebelheart

It was so moving to have this Ms Finucane lady empathising with that woman in the past hour who was eloquently outlining about her battle against eviction by her bank.

With her €600,000 for about 150 hours on the radio a year, like hell does she "know" how that woman feels.

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭Caraville

Rebelheart wrote: »
    It was so moving to have this Ms Finucane lady empathising with that woman in the past hour who was eloquently outlining about her battle against eviction by her bank.

With her €600,000 for about 150 hours on the radio a year, like hell does she "know" how that woman feels.

I was thinking the EXACT same! I honestly couldn't believe my ears, Marian going on about how difficult it is for people, blah blah blah. I'm not one to be all "RTE bad, the rest of us good"- but that is just the height of hypocrisy. How she can have the neck to speak on personal financial matters with people who are struggling is beyond me.

It'd be like me talking to somebody suffering from starvation in Africa as I lick my fingers after a meal in Chapter One. Is she not embarrassed? I know it's not her decision how much she is paid and that her superiors are the ones who set the wages- but it's her programme and she does have control over topics she chooses. She should steer clear of any topic related to people's debts and avoid sounding like a hypocrite.

I agree Rebelheart (the only bit of the show I caught) and it's horrible to hear such patronage from Marian who wouldn't know too much of being awake nights with mortgage debts as far as I can see...but from what I gathered this woman was a public servant who had salary cut by 1500 a month, which to me illustrates just how much many public servants were being overpaid by (which to be fair isn't the woman's fault but the system which allowed for such unsustainable salaries to flourish)... there were many people who barely took in 1500 a month as an after tax salary in this country either now or during the boom.

The whole convoluted mess of huge one off property windfall taxes being piled into public service wage rises over the course of the last 12 years is what's lead many of these people into this mess; few of them seem to be able to see this (and to be fair as I said, it's not the fault of the individuals here, but the unions and negotiators and the dept of finance officials that let all this snowball to where it is now)

I didn't catch the big interview the other night either...did Murphy ask any of the tough questions? That's rhetorical btw...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 905 ✭✭✭easychair

Rebelheart wrote: »

You think people who earn over a certain amount of money per annum have no imagination, and are not able to understand how others might feel?

Or are you saying that people who earn , say, €600 k per annum are only able to understand others who earn between, for example, €300k and €750k per annum?

Why does what one earns have anything to do with how one can imagine and put onesself into the shoes of another?

You yourself think you understand Marian Finucane. Does this imply that you also earn +-€600k per annum?

• Advertisement

Just one thing lads.. On that interview the other night with Mike Murphy (which was like getting blood from a stone), Marian said that when she first went for a job in RTE she was given the advice that "you cant interview properly unless you've suffered either financial breakdown, a mental breakdown or a marriage breakdown", and that she has suffered two... She went on to talk about having a marriage breakdown, so that's one struck off... Mike didnt follow up on the point... So my question is .. did she also have a financial breakdown or a mental breakdown?

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭Caraville

Well I know she had a daughter that passed away at a very young age from leukaemia so I can only imagine that had a terrible effect on her mentally.

Wasn't she involved with some financial derring do in an apartment complex before the Celtic Tiger? Not sure if she lost money though.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Crystalset

Happyman42 wrote: »
    Wasn't she involved with some financial derring do in an apartment complex before the Celtic Tiger? Not sure if she lost money though.

Yes Mespil Flats. They were built before we started saying aportments.

Crystalset wrote: »
    Yes Mespil Flats. They were built before we started saying aportments.

...and before the heady days of 100% mortgages or before everyone knew who "Fingers" was...

Average price of £25K at the time too... I'd say there was a time about 15 yrs after those sales that those same appartments were valued at 100x that...

http://thestory.ie/2009/12/23/michael-fingleton-inbs-and-mespil/

Just one thing lads.. On that interview the other night with Mike Murphy (which was like getting blood from a stone), Marian said that when she first went for a job in RTE she was given the advice that "you cant interview properly unless you've suffered either financial breakdown, a mental breakdown or a marriage breakdown", and that she has suffered two... She went on to talk about having a marriage breakdown, so that's one struck off... Mike didnt follow up on the point... So my question is .. did she also have a financial breakdown or a mental breakdown?

Marion clearly didn't like being on the other side of the interview ... as you say like getting blood from a stone. Did you notice when Mike asked about her handy weekend job, which she says she loves (wouldn't we all?), she looked decidedly shifty & make some glib remark suggesting I think that it takes a week to produce a Sunday paper & she was obviously implying that it took a week of work to produce 4 hours radio at the weekend.
    On the interview overall I don't know was it me or was the editing very dodgy?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭FGR

"implying that it took a week of work to produce 4 hours radio at the weekend."

How in the name of goodness do all of those Mon - Fri chatshows manage? I'm sure Marion has a batallion of researchers to hand.

"implying that it took a week of work to produce 4 hours radio at the weekend."

Yeah I thought that she was being completely disingenuous. I think we all realise that it takes preparation to put together the two hour radio shows.. But to assert that it would take any longer than a few hours to prepare for each show is just dishonest...

The Sunday show in particular takes little or no pre-show work.. The papers are handed to her, and she opens the door to let a few people in to her studio.. then she asks them questions about the headlines stories... After 12, the sports guy and entertainment reporter come in and she has to do nothing at all..

So let's be honest Marian, you have to prepare for one interview a week... for the Saturday show... that's about it really..

Listening to the News tonight the gravy train may be coming to a halt for the RTE prima donnas ... and not before time!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,730 ✭✭✭europa11

Listening to the News tonight the gravy train may be coming to a halt for the RTE prima donnas ... and not before time!

:D

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2011/1018/1224305994874.html?via=mr

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

europa11 wrote: »

Don't hold your breath horse,lot of water to flow under the bridge before these aspirations come to pass.

These punters are used to feeding high off the hog's back,very high indeed.

Lot of gimpage out there my friend.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement