Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Marian Finucane

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭GSF

Infoanon wrote: »
    Live yesterday - pre recorded today.....it was a 'best of the Saturday interviews'........

Rather good timing considering that Marian has a new book out 'The Saturday Interviews 2005-2011'......

Is it reduced in the New Years sales?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

GSF wrote: »

I'll wait 'till they give it away .... I've already put enough of my hard earned EUR in Marian's deep pockets

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,709 ✭✭✭Infoanon

I believe its only gone on sale this week - there was a review in the SBP of Jan 1st

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,134 ✭✭✭✭dvcireland

I wonder if any living being has set foot inside the RTE radio centre for the past 8 days?? I have visions of a tape being switched on after Joe Duffy's Christmas Eve programme and it's still being played as we speak, while all the RTE radio staff and contractors are sipping cocktails on a Caribbean Island somewhere.........
    there must not of being anyone in Rte radio centre, as they forgot to bleep out the swearing in Colm Murray's anecdotes during his interview with Sean O' Rourke.

"...no Joe, you rang me !..." A.Caller.

dvcireland wrote: »
    there must not of being anyone in Rte radio centre, as they forgot to bleep out the swearing in Colm Murray's anecdotes during his interview with Sean O' Rourke.

Noticed that but IMO it lent credibility to a brilliant interview. Came across like a guy talking from the heart not being PC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,568 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I believe its only gone on sale this week - there was a review in the SBP of Jan 1st

Twas in Dubray Books before Christmas Eve....

Anyone download the podcast of this mornings prog? I wanted to listen to the Tony Bates interview again but there seems to be a problem with it.
    Unless its my laptop acting up :(

Callan57 wrote: »
    Anyone download the podcast of this mornings prog? I wanted to listen to the Tony Bates interview again but there seems to be a problem with it.
    Unless its my laptop acting up :(

Podcasts are not working - only option is to choose the full show playback - think that interview is about an hour into the show

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

"Tesco ... Big Brand Names .. At little prices".. Irony much???
    "RTE.. Big Brand Names.. At even bigger prices"...

Just on the podcasts.. I think there is a serious issue with the actual podcasts (in iTunes) as well.. I have about twenty goes at taking down Marion's New Year's Day, and it keeps kicking me off the download at different points... I'm pretty sure it's not my bband..

Noticed they seem to have resolved the podcast problem ... so I got to give another listen to Tony Bates, very interesting interview

• Advertisement

Noticed they seem to have resolved the podcast problem ... so I got to give another listen to Tony Bates, very interesting interview

Hi Callan, I tried it today again... And got all the recent podcasts down.. ALSO, it seems that they now let you "resume" a download.. previously if the connection dropped while you were 10MB through a 20MB download, it would just start back at 0MB.. but now it lets you resume the download.

Interesting prog this morning .... Manchan Magan TG4 prog sounds really fascinating & his enthusiasm is infectious.

Interview with John Teeling ... God we could do with a few more real entrepreneurs like him instead of the 'quick-rich fly by nights' we've had our fill of. An amazing man!

Enjoyed the prog apart from Marian's over use of the 'so to speaks' .... I think she's doing it deliberately to annoy me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭jimmyw

Didnt hear the start, but the first fella sounded like the voice from the hales freight ad:p.

**Black and yellow**

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭Dirigent

She's got Paddy Duffy on today's panel, he's mouthing symparhy for "the ordinary man in the street".

This is the same Paddy Duffy that used to be Bertie Ahern's vastly overpaid chief spin doctor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

this just in: public sector secretary general telling us that teachers have taken enough pain already

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

Going back to Saturday's programme, I don't know if it's just me but I always find Natasha Fennell to be really annoying in the TV preview slot as she only ever seems to be a mouthpiece for "TG Carrrr". rolleyes.gif

Also, I'm no apologist for vegetarians and vegans but I found Marian's fawning over that Irish butcher who sold foie gras in Selfridges (even though it was officially banned) to be completely over the top and badly misjudged.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

Interesting prog this morning .... Manchan Magan TG4 prog sounds really fascinating & his enthusiasm is infectious.

Interview with John Teeling ... God we could do with a few more real entrepreneurs like him instead of the 'quick-rich fly by nights' we've had our fill of. An amazing man!

Enjoyed the prog apart from Marian's over use of the 'so to speaks' .... I think she's doing it deliberately to annoy me.

+1, great man to listen to, its a pity our national radio station could not spend more time interviewing the likes of Teeling or leading with news stories about positive things happening in the economy (the booming agri-food sector for instance) rather than the doom and gloom we're being fed ad nauseum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,568 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

bamboozle wrote: »
    +1, great man to listen to, its a pity our national radio station could not spend more time interviewing the likes of Teeling or leading with news stories about positive things happening in the economy (the booming agri-food sector for instance) rather than the doom and gloom we're being fed ad nauseum.

+10!

Marian made a mess of that first interview with Seamus (the guy who was on the Costa Concordia)... Kept trying to inject to speed up his telling of the story and just made it confusing..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,134 ✭✭✭✭dvcireland

"The very hungry Frenchman Raymond Blanc speaks to Marian about his life and his rise to the top of his game – cooking! "
    I don't think he realised that he was speaking to an Irish based radio station. He kept refering to "your British/ English" food. I'd say an Irish chef would get the short shrift if on French radio, kept refering to your great German food.

on Irish poetry: ".....your great poets, Milton....."

"...no Joe, you rang me !..." A.Caller.

dvcireland wrote: »
    "The very hungry Frenchman Raymond Blanc speaks to Marian about his life and his rise to the top of his game – cooking! "
    I don't think he realised that he was speaking to an Irish based radio station. He kept refering to "your British/ English" food. I'd say an Irish chef would get the short shrift if on French radio, kept refering to your great German food.

on Irish poetry: ".....your great poets, Milton....."

Yea I noticed that ... nearly choked on my branflakes when I heard him mention Milton :D

Better show today - Brian Lucey taking Leo 'neutron bomb' Varadkar to task, pity Marian (or is that Marilyn as one of her guests called her!) kept intterupting and prevented Brian Lucey from responding to Leo nonsense response at the end .

When you have a minister on the rack you dont back off.....alas........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭patwicklow

Another over rated show with over rated host that is paid to much

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

Better show today - Brian Lucey taking Leo 'neutron bomb' Varadkar to task, pity Marian (or is that Marilyn as one of her guests called her!) kept intterupting and prevented Brian Lucey from responding to Leo nonsense response at the end .

When you have a minister on the rack you dont back off.....alas........

I was disappointed that Marian didn't take that little toad Varadkar to task about Enda Kenny's comments at Davos. It seemed to be a no-go area on today's programme, apart from Kathy Sheridan who mentioned it for about 10 seconds.

I was disappointed that Marian didn't take that little toad Varadkar to task about Enda Kenny's comments at Davos. It seemed to be a no-go area on today's programme, apart from Kathy Sheridan who mentioned it for about 10 seconds.

Its been a no go area on RTE all weekend ! from political correspondents excusing the comment to Mary Wilson giving Fionnán Sheehan a dressing down for his comments about Endas comments and subsequent behaviour (ie avoiding the Irish media at Davos)

• Advertisement

Very poor show today - and then just at the end Marian announced that Claire Byrne will be filling in next week(s)......

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

expect her to return at the end of june then !

:)

didnt listen to sundays show, may get around to streaming it during the week as saturdays was bloody awfull.

literaly cant point to anything in it that wasnt droningly boring.

how the feck this can be defended is beyond me, i think half the reason she's going off is she's ran out of ideas for the year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

literaly cant point to anything in it that wasnt droningly boring.

how the feck this can be defended is beyond me, i think half the reason she's going off is she's ran out of ideas for the year.

Maybe, as Larry says, 'It just didn't suit you?' :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭donaghs

Very poor show today - and then just at the end Marian announced that Claire Byrne will be filling in next week(s)......

Listening to a lot of NPR on the web, incredible stuff compared with her rambling shambling show. But even Newstalk in the Irish private sector can put on better show. As long as we have to co-fund this overpaid rubbish by the licence fee it will always be an irritant.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭newcavanman

Good to see the License fee is being well spent ( NOT ) bloody claire byrne standing in for dopey marian . the blind leading the blind

• Advertisement

Why do we constantly need to waste time with these interviews,
    This guy is a mercenary, simples.
    What makes you different to other Irish men and women is not your nationality, it's your political creed, you are not a republican, you are the 'paid help', 'cannon fodder', stop dressing it up as something else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭GSF

Happyman42 wrote: »
    simples
    Is it possible to get someone banned for using this moronic phrase?

On the broader point, unless there is some dikat that states that your opinion is the only valid position that it is possible for any person born on this island to have, then I think debate and discussion of different peoples opinions is healthy.

Is it possible to get someone banned for using this moronic phrase?

On the broader point, unless there is some dikat that states that your opinion is the only valid position that it is possible for any person born on this island to have, then I think debate and discussion of different peoples opinions is healthy.

It is my opinion that the interview is a waste of time because the interviewer was extracting 'excuses' not 'an opinion'. That is a 'VALID' opinion even if you disagree, it is not your job on here to proscribe opinions!
    An interviewer, doing their job properly, should always cut to the chase. It has nothing to do with the 'validity' of a claim. If he was in the Foreign Legion would the interviewer so tortuously avoid the real issue or questions?
    If you fight under a foreign flag you are a mercenary, a soldier maybe, but a mercenary soldier. Was the word even mentioned in the interview?
    As to objecting to the use of 'simples'..... well the internet might not be the forum for you! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

Guys, When does the podcast usually go up on the website?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 713 ✭✭✭Crackity Jones

Happyman42 wrote: »
    It is my opinion that the interview is a waste of time because the interviewer was extracting 'excuses' not 'an opinion'. That is a 'VALID' opinion even if you disagree, it is not your job on here to proscribe opinions!
    An interviewer, doing their job properly, should always cut to the chase. It has nothing to do with the 'validity' of a claim. If he was in the Foreign Legion would the interviewer so tortuously avoid the real issue or questions?
    If you fight under a foreign flag you are a mercenary, a soldier maybe, but a mercenary soldier. Was the word even mentioned in the interview?
    As to objecting to the use of 'simples'..... well the internet might not be the forum for you! :rolleyes:

You obviously didn't listen to the interview too closely because she asked him straight out about being a mercenary.

On the broader point, there's a long tradition of Irish men serving in the British forces and giving their lives in world wars fighting for democracy while we remained 'neutral'. I think these guys should be honoured and to call them mercenaries is an insult.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Absent again today Marion.
    By Jesus ye will have fun getting the "Broadcast charge" out of me when it wheels around.

I was just listening to this morning's show on playback and that interview with the psychologist must surely be one of the most incoherent interviews ever to assault my ears .... I still have no idea what the Controversy was about!

Surely they should at least have the man in the studio not shouting over a phone line. Claire simply isn't up to this kind of interview .... she just sounded shrill & hysterical.

You obviously didn't listen to the interview too closely because she asked him straight out about being a mercenary.

She asked him once but didn't examine the issue at all, in the way a good neutral interviwer should, I am sick of these 'interviews' on RTE radio and television which are nothing more than PR excercises for the guest. It's the RTE cop out factor in play again.
    On the broader point, there's a long tradition of Irish men serving in the British forces and giving their lives in world wars fighting for democracy while we remained 'neutral'. I think these guys should be honoured and to call them mercenaries is an insult.

You have a very narrow view of democracy, I would have thought as a republican that the right to self determination would be high on the list of requirements in a democracy. The armies that these 'Irishmen' are giving their lives to, do not respect that basic tenet, they rather have the role of the worlds policemen. That is the kind of issue I would like dicussed in any 'proper' interview of a mercenary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

MrsD007 wrote: »
    Guys, When does the podcast usually go up on the website?

It's up now

http://www.rte.ie/radio1/podcast/podcast_marianfinucane.xml
    Marian Finucane Show, Saturday the 11th of February 2012
    Claire Byrne talks to retired Det. Sergeant Alan Bailey about the, "Cold Case," unit and how to catch a killer.

Skid wrote: »
    Thanks Skid, it was actually the Tony Humphrey's interview I was after but they haven't put it up as a podcast. I did manage to hear it on the listen back service though. The interview starts at 42:35 if anyone is interested in it.

• Advertisement

It was a poor interview by Claire Byrne. Kind of reminded me a bit of Tubridy, the way he overcompensates when he has a big interview... She was belligerent and subjective from the start, constantly interrupting him, and even misquoting him at times.

Finucane is a joke at this stage.. missing for another big interview.. swans in whenever she wants.. claims that she spends the week reading the papers and watching the news in preparation for the weekend interviews ... when in reality she has TWO researchers on the show... If she was getting 100k for her sporadic appearances, you would think she was overpaid..

Jonny, What did you think of Humphrey's response to the criticism of his article?

Jonny, What did you think of Humphrey's response to the criticism of his article?

well I was trying to avoid that Mrs D, cos I dont think you're gonna like what I say.. :D .. but here goes..

First of all, he sounds like a decent guy, who has a lot of experience in the area. And as he said himself, he is sure that "all parents do the best for their children".. But that doesnt mean that they are "perfect" parents. He is trying to analyse the thing DISPASSIONATELY, and whether he is right (i.e. parents DO unwittingly contribute to the child developing ADD, ADHD etc etc) or he is wrong (i.e. the conditions are entirely congenital), I think he is entitled to his opinion.

Of course parents are going to be upset if they read this as him saying "you contributed to giving your child the condition", but if he was to back off on researching this because he was upsetting people, this would not be very progressive.. My little cousin has been diagnosed with Asperger's, and her mother is a wonderful woman. But I'm sure she would admit herself that she didnt get everything right as a parent. And if there was something that she did wrong (again, unwittingly) that in some small way contributed to her daughter's syndrome, then I think it is worthwhile investigating.

Okay, form an orderly queue with your wet sponges.. :)

well I was trying to avoid that Mrs D, cos I dont think you're gonna like what I say.. :D .. but here goes..

First of all, he sounds like a decent guy, who has a lot of experience in the area. And as he said himself, he is sure that "all parents do the best for their children".. But that doesnt mean that they are "perfect" parents. He is trying to analyse the thing DISPASSIONATELY, and whether he is right (i.e. parents DO unwittingly contribute to the child developing ADD, ADHD etc etc) or he is wrong (i.e. the conditions are entirely congenital), I think he is entitled to his opinion.

Of course parents are going to be upset if they read this as him saying "you contributed to giving your child the condition", but if he was to back off on researching this because he was upsetting people, this would not be very progressive.. My little cousin has been diagnosed with Asperger's, and her mother is a wonderful woman. But I'm sure she would admit herself that she didnt get everything right as a parent. And if there was something that she did wrong (again, unwittingly) that in some small way contributed to her daughter's syndrome, then I think it is worthwhile investigating.

Okay, form an orderly queue with your wet sponges.. :)
    LOL:D Jonny when were you ever worried about what I think? As you know I mightn't always agree with you but I do (for the most part) enjoy your contributions. I agree with Humphreys that how we parent our children whether they are typically developing or have special needs can influence their behaviour in a positive or negative way.

However, I do believe that it extremely careless and even dangerous to attribute autism to "refrigerator mum syndrome". Many children with autism have fragile X syndrome which is a chromosomal abnormality, 75% of children with autism also present with an intellectual disability. MRI studies have found that people with autism tend to have a larger brains than their peers. Through my work, I have read alot of Simon Baron Cohen's research, he is a Neuroscientist and is probably the leading autism expert in the Europe, if not the world, he has come out very much against Humphreys this week and has stated that there isn't any evidence to support Humphrey's theory.

I think that it is wrong of a psychologist to make comments like the following, he must have known the impact that this would have on the parents of children on the spectrum.

"If the adults they researched live predominanently in their heads and possess few or no heart qualities, their children will need to find some way of defending themselves against the absence of expressed love and affection and emotional receptivity.

After all, the deepest need of every child is to be unconditionally loved and the absence of it results in children shutting down emotionally themselves because to continue to spontaneously reach out for love would be far too painful".

My main concern now would be for the children who are currently presenting with early signs of autism, I feel that some of their parents may decide not to investigate these concerns incase they are labelled as cold and unloving parents.

Now that Humphreys has started the debate, I hope that he will make himself available to those who care, work and educate children with autism. Starting a debate and running away when you come in for criticism is not very grown up behaviour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 306 ✭✭Molzer2

LOL:D Jonny when were you ever worried about what I think? As you know I mightn't always agree with you but I do (for the most part) enjoy your contributions. I agree with Humphreys that how we parent our children whether they are typically developing or have special needs can influence their behaviour in a positive or negative way.

However, I do believe that it extremely careless and even dangerous to attribute autism to "refrigerator mum syndrome". Many children with autism have fragile X syndrome which is a chromosomal abnormality, 75% of children with autism also present with an intellectual disability. MRI studies have found that people with autism tend to have a larger brains than their peers. Through my work, I have read alot of Simon Baron Cohen's research, he is a Neuroscientist and is probably the leading autism expert in the Europe, if not the world, he has come out very much against Humphreys this week and has stated that there isn't any evidence to support Humphrey's theory.

I think that it is wrong of a psychologist to make comments like the following, he must have known that impact that this would have on the parents of children on the spectrum.

"If the adults they researched live predominanently in their heads and possess few or no heart qualities, their children will need to find some way of defending themselves against the absence of expressed love and affection and emotional receptivity.

After all, the deepest need of every child is to be unconditionally loved and the absence of it results in children shutting down emotionally themselves because to continue to spontaneously reach out for love would be far too painful".

My main concern now would be for the children who are currently presenting with early signs of autism, I feel that some of their parents may decide not to investigate these concerns incase they are labelled as cold and unloving parents.

Now that Humphreys has started the debate, I hope that he will make himself available to those who care, work and educate children with autism. Starting a debate and running away when you come in for criticism is not very grown up behaviour.

MrsD I'm one of those parents and you have hit the nail precisely on the head. We've a 6 year old who's perfect and a 3 year old who's presenting with signs of ASD. My wife and I know that he has demanded and received more attention than his older sister ever demanded or received. In fact I've often suggested to my OH that I thought he thought she was an extension of him. I can't wait to hear the interview later but my big worrry is that it will shame parents into seeking help for their kids. That is the real damage that has been done.

"If the adults they researched live predominanently in their heads and possess few or no heart qualities ...."

I think I know what he means by that sentence but surely he could be a little more specific and substantially less airy fairy! Maybe it's just me but I can well understand why he got a lot of parents very angry, you would expect someone in his position to be more careful and less casual about causing serious hurt to people or maybe he is the one living too much in his head.
    I know nothing about the subject and was certainly no wiser after this morning interview. :confused:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Does Mary Lou McDonald live in RTÉ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

Does Paul Williams live in RTE?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Lapin wrote: »
    Does Mary Lou McDonald live in RTÉ?
    honeybear wrote: »
    Does Paul Williams live in RTE?

Both of them spend more time there than Marian Finnucane does.

• Advertisement

As bad as Marian has been, todays show with Claire Byrne was a disaster.

Completely disjointed,no structure,repeating topics in the second hour already covered in the first hour only topped by poor guests and Claires complete inability to control the 'debate'.

Brian Hayes and Mary Lou sniping does not make good radio, only once did Claire pick him up on it , while a comment about Vincent Browne was allowed to pass without comment by Claire.

I recall Rachel English standing in for Marian a few years ago and doing an excellent job.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement