Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Marian Finucane

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,283 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

My point was not to make an analogy between RTE and the Church, but to point that there are child abusers everywhere. Listening to RTE you would think that child abusers only existed within the environs of the Church, yet RTE themselves had an abuser among their senior staff.

You could create an analogy with the BBC, where senior management knew of all of the accusations and the witnesses who saw at least Savile touching kids and left him to it. Yet RTE have never had a bad word for BBC management. Maybe they don't want to p1ss them off in case they want to take Tubridy off their hands.

Just listening to DriveTime there and they were reading more updates from the Justin McAleese Twitter feed. Won't be long before they have a section of the website devoted to his utterances.

WTF like, who is this yoke and his utterances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,822 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

WTF like, who is this yoke and his utterances.

Lad makes some good points,Alan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,747 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

You could create an analogy with the BBC, where senior management knew of all of the accusations and the witnesses who saw at least Savile touching kids and left him to it. Yet RTE have never had a bad word for BBC management. Maybe they don't want to p1ss them off in case they want to take Tubridy off their hands.

My point was not to make an analogy between RTE and the Church, but to point that there are child abusers everywhere. Listening to RTE you would think that child abusers only existed within the environs of the Church, yet RTE themselves had an abuser among their senior staff.

Gone all out bonkers today.

Gone all out bonkers today.

What does posts like that actually achieve?

No sense

No opinion

Just chaff ?

Just trolling?

C’mon man you can do better than that eh?

What does posts like that actually achieve?

Perhaps the poster isn't aware of how bonkers his post sounded.

• Advertisement

Perhaps the poster isn't aware of how bonkers his post sounded.

Well then break the post down and rebut his arguments, man!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70,741 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Just listening to DriveTime there and they were reading more updates from the Justin McAleese Twitter feed. Won't be long before they have a section of the website devoted to his utterances.

RTE now at prime time in the schedule, a reverent programme on the pope's visit, if that is more to your taste.

Well then break the post down and rebut his arguments, man!

Not every post has to drill down on points with sensible debate! Sometimes a few words says it all.

Not every post has to drill down on points with sensible debate! Sometimes a few words says it all.

Tell us what “few words says it all”

What words say what and what’s “it all”

What do they actually say, it would help a lot to explain that H.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭anthonyjmaher

Seems like the Pope has seen his first miracle on Irish soil - Marion Finucane is actually presenting her own show today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭jippo nolan

Seems like the Pope has seen his first miracle on Irish soil - Marion Finucane is actually presenting her own show today.

She wasn’t going to miss this “gig”

Father Brian D'Arcy was abused by a priest - Is this his first time saying this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,224 ✭✭✭alaimacerc

She wasn’t going to miss this “gig”

Obviously she's been lying down in a cool dark room someplace for the past month or so in anticipation of the very day!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭batgoat

Father Brian D'Arcy was abused by a priest - Is this his first time saying this?

Nope, said it first a long time ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Dead air

Why are Brian Cowan and Bertie Ahern there? That really annoys me.

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Maybe that is the sole reason - to annoy you?

Marion is already in the taxi on the way to the airport. See you in another six weeks, Marion!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

It's like one of those stupid clips Joe Duffy makes up. 2 or 3 things going on at the same time and you can't hear any of them.

Maybe that is the sole reason - to annoy you?

I think they managed significant economies of scale on that one.

• Advertisement

Tuned in her programme for a few minutes today. Was any of her panel under the age 55? No young person's perspective on religion in Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,396 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Council of state as ex Taoiseasch.

batgoat wrote: »
    Nope, said it first a long time ago.

Lookit, there’s no one left in Ireland who wasn’t abused by a priest by the looks of things.

All wondering when the payout will come.

Lookit, there’s no one left in Ireland who wasn’t abused by a priest by the looks of things.

Are you implying that these are all fictional accounts or are you simply belittling the large scale institutional abuse that occurred throughout the globe?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Nice victim blaming.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Are you implying that these are all fictional accounts or are you simply belittling the large scale institutional abuse that occurred throughout the globe?

"Sure lookit, it's in the past, it's time to move on"

No, I am not, but from the media reaction and exposure one could be forgiven for believing that almost everyone in this country was touched by a priest.

A bit of balance mightened go amiss.

A bit of restraint from the slavering media might put a more realistic cant on things.

Too many airheads and blowhards with vested issues getting listened to when the vast majority of our faith,whilst still not happy with things, understand that efforts are being made

No, I am not, but from the media reaction and exposure one could be forgiven for believing that almost everyone in this country was touched by a priest.

A bit of restraint from the slavering media might put a more realistic cant on things.

Too many airheads and blowhards with vested issues getting listened to when the vast majority of our faith,whilst still not happy with things, understand that efforts are being made
    Another massive scandal came out two weeks ago in spite of the church...

How can you achieve balance when it comes to sexual abuse and it's cover up?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,800 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Tuned in her programme for a few minutes today. Was any of her panel under the age 55? No young person's perspective on religion in Ireland.

They're all much too busy being edgy on Twitter and the Facebook comments section to bother with Marz.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭jobbridge4life

1. What efforts? Specifically.

2. Efforts? At this late stage?

3. AND ABOVE ALL ELSE. The rape of children is not something to be balanced. It is something to be prosecuted without compunction.

That post has nothing to do with what I said, again you try to put words into my mouth.

By not talking about it so much, seemingly, according to the delicate bruised feels of some reactionary elements.

Just to be clear, are you presuming here to speak for the former, or the latter?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,910 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

Paddy Agnew's comments about a 'gay mafia' in the Vatican were interesting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

Didn't hear all that discussion but it appears to me the only way anything will change in the RC church will be when people keep their money in their pockets. It's all about money & power and sadly nothing else :(

Is he with the Irish Times or freelance now.

Strange sort of chap,in this posters opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

He's freelance now as far as I know. And didn't end his time with the Irish Times on good terms. https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/irish-times-in-court-fight-with-axed-reporter-plrhxpkm0

Quite the proverbial airhead on at the moment. Feels especially Catholic now because she had a wanted child, and they lost the 8th amendment referendum?

Yeah. Hardly any surprise that not everyone in the curia is heterosexual, celibate, and strictly impartial in not favouring their friends. But bizarrely conspiratorial and loaded language.

• Advertisement

He's freelance now as far as I know. And didn't end his time with the Irish Times on good terms. https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/irish-times-in-court-fight-with-axed-reporter-plrhxpkm0

Kind of gathered that, probably reached 65 or whatever and wouldn’t let go the soup tureen, now that’s just my opinion, know nothing about the lads background other than his largely stop start stacatto reports over the years.

Lovely lad I’m sure.

That post has nothing to do with what I said, again you try to put words into my mouth.

What did you mean then?

What did you mean then?

Read the post, big man, it’s self explanatory.

C’mon keep up.

Indeed.

Your error here is imagining that it's also plausibly deniable.

What did you mean then?

C’mon keep up.
    Yep, you attempted to cheapen the fact abuse is being discussed... The reality is a lot of people in this country have been abused by the clergy. One hundred cases a week are reported to one in four at the moment. That's increased because of visit. Before the average was 30. So yes, a lot of people in Ireland were abused.

Yep, you attempted to cheapen the fact abuse is being discussed... The reality is a lot of people in this country have been abused by the clergy. One hundred cases a week are reported to one in four at the moment. That's increased because of visit. Before the average was 30. So yes, a lot of people in Ireland were abused.

I attempted nothing of the kind.

What I attempted was to dis the popular media opinion the a huge percentage of the clergy were involved in abuse of one kind or another.

There was a hard core, a rump who indulged in that despicable practice, but implying that a large percentage were involved is pure backwardness.

That is not true,buddy, and you know that.

What I attempted was to dis the popular media opinion the a huge percentage of the clergy were involved in abuse of one kind or another.

There was a hard core, a rump who indulged in that despicable practice, but implying that a large percentage were involved is pure backwardness.

What media opinion says that a 'huge percentage of the clergy were involved in abuse'? Can you link to one?

I haven't heard anyone, even victims, claim that Brendy.

The top of the hierarchy organised a global cover up... That seems like a far bigger issue, you cannot be confident that the church will actually report abuse when it becomes known to them. And I do think there's a level of apologism when you ignore this or complain that it's being discussed.

Nonsense. Whenever the issue of abuse is brought up, people always mention that there is good people in the Church.

Nonsense. Whenever the issue of abuse is brought up, people always mention that there is good people in the Church.
    I would say the criticism are primarily directed at apologists and the upper hierarchy of the organisation.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement