Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Marian Finucane

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Niles Crane

The far right which he supports pose much more of a threat to Europe than China does, look at the rise of fascism in Germany at the moment.

I'd argue the people who caused the far right to rise up are more dangerous.

Unrestricted immigration into Europe is a really bad idea and I suspect most people in europe would agree with me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,516 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Trying to improve the World is screwing people exactly how?

Trying to put your country back living in caves living off seaweed and hemp where the rest of the earth completely take the piss, yes.

You have that arseho1e on the Eco program telling some lad in his 70's in rural Ireland who with hands like shovels worked the land the last 50 years that he should invest €50k in fancy dan eco technology to heat and insulate his house where he would break even at age 120 is some of the bo11ixology being touted in this country without anyone questioning it for fear of brainwashed fools calling them out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭batgoat

batgoat wrote: »
    His policies impact the rest of the world. On issues such as the Paris accord, Nato and personalised attacks upon leaders across the globe. Racist statements about countries that he's never been to and spouting propaganda about the likes of Sweden. His behaviour impacts upon the globe and not just the US.... Human rights abuses also should matter to us all. So yep, I favour protesting the windbag.

So why were there not massive protests when the Chinese President visited here?
    I imagine the major factor is the US are supposed to be a major superpower that has historically been on our side. They do a lot of morally wrong things but overall not viewed as the worst. Now they're actively regressing and in respect of Trump, he tends to praise and fawn over the dictators. Eg Duterte. It's a bit like when a close friend reveals himself as a closeted Nazi, you're much more likely to call that **** out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

I can smell the Silk Cut through the radio when she's on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Oops69

from her sput out comments about comedians being 'smart alecs', I guess she's not a fan of Oliver Callan's impressions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Straight in with Trump.

I'd say Leo has to suppress a major cringe when he has to sit down with this muppet around the cabinet table of a tuesday.

sligojoek wrote: »
    Straight in with Trump.
    That's how she gets her jollies I suppose , what else would she chatter about, not relevant matters , they don't do those on the southside .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭Dinarius

“In the event of a sudden loss in BS momentum, an oxygen mask will drop in front of your microphone. Please attend to Marian’s mask first as she may not survive the vacuum.”

D.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,224 ✭✭✭alaimacerc

"Race to the bottom line."

Was that a portmataphor?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Niles Crane

Gwynplaine wrote: »
    I can smell the Silk Cut through the radio when she's on.

It's always amazed me how she's been such a successful radio presenter consider how horrible her voice is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

Marian can barely speak herself.

I can picture the flem every time she speaks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭anthonyjmaher

Honestly what is the point in Marion speaking to Lee Keegan. She hasn't got a clue what she is talking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭quintana76

I'd argue the people who caused the far right to rise up are more dangerous.

Unrestricted immigration into Europe is a really bad idea and I suspect most people in europe would agree with me.

Anything that happens in Germany in relation to the issue is completely Angela Merkel's responsible. An insane immigration policy leads to an inevitable reaction. Where were the AfD in 2015? Look at them now. It's all on Merkel and it seems like it is getting worse on a daily basis. Unbelievable own goal. It is all she will be remembered for. All previous achievements will be negated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

I had no issue with him visiting nor have I any issue with Trump visiting.

All this sucking up is done to help our own economy so I'm all for it.

Absolutely.

Part of being in government is about putting personal ideology to one side, something that a lot of people on the left simply refuse to do.

POTUS is the most powerful political position on the planet and should be treated with the utmost respect at all times regardless of who holds it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,750 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

padd b1975 wrote: »
    Absolutely.

Part of being in government is about putting personal ideology to one side, something that a lot of people on the left simply refuse to do.

POTUS is the most powerful political position on the planet and should be treated with the utmost respect at all times regardless of who holds it.

You see Halligan doesn’t give a F. F. about ‘consequences’ he’ll be all right, he’ll have a wedge coming in.

Think of those whose careers and jobs depend on FDI of which the US is a huge contributor.

The Halligans of this world never worry about that kind of stuff, Middle Ireland would need to understand that concept, and in my opinion, they do.

The ‘protest ‘ and ‘bullhorn brigade’ never had anything so nothing to lose.

Have a day out and cost the State millions, then start roaring and shouting the very next day about lack of funding for the “disadvantaged”

You couldn’t make it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,489 ✭✭✭KevRossi

There's a big difference between bring vocal about him on Twitter/Social Media/Circles of Friends and actually getting your arse out of bed on a possibly cold, wet November day to protest somebody who would just laugh at you.

The Twitterati from left or right seem to be a bit shy when it comes to a direct action like a demo, so I'd expect nowhere near the 100.000 who demonstrated against George W. Bush back in 2003.

It will be a weekday when he gets here, as Armistice Day is a Sunday this year, so even less of a crowd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

You see Halligan doesn’t give a F. F. about ‘consequences’ he’ll be all right, he’ll have a wedge coming in.

Think of those whose careers and jobs depend on FDI of which the US is a huge contributor.

The Halligans of this world never worry about that kind of stuff, Middle Ireland would need to understand that concept, and in my opinion, they do.

The ‘protest ‘ and ‘bullhorn brigade’ never had anything so nothing to lose.

Have a day out and cost the State millions, then start roaring and shouting the very next day about lack of funding for the “disadvantaged”

You couldn’t make it up.

It's the old Worker's Party mentality-never too far from the surface with that hot air merchant.

Peddling guff that you would cringe at if it came from a student type in an army jacket with a megaphone outside the GPO on a Saturday afternoon.

Halligan however is a middle aged man and career politician.

Zero credibility with anyone outside of the gullible.

quintana76 wrote: »
    Anything that happens in Germany in relation to the issue is completely Angela Merkel's responsible.

Anyone mystified by the profusion of Israeli political parties, need only drop in to this thread, and witness the hard right falling over themselves to agree with each other in blaming the centre-right for not sufficiently appeasing the far-right.

• Advertisement

Marion is desperately trying to find hope within the UN when its clearly a failed entity and full of these executives who have done every pr course under the sun.

and the exercise nazis are off , just as Nevin waddles in from Cavan...hint hint Nevin.

Oops69 wrote: »
    Marion is desperately trying to find hope within the UN when its clearly a failed entity and full of these executives who have done every pr course under the sun.

To give her credit she asked about the salaries that are 90% of budget plus a few other controversial topics. She talked about Boka Haram and other Islamist groups and the education of women. The replies she got were pure PR. It works in that it effectively doesn't answer the question put but at the same time sounds empty and formulaic.

I would reluctantly refer to the woman's accent. It makes her sound like the member of the global elite that she undoubtedly is along with her mentioned colleagues Bono and Mary Robinson. Distant from and unaffected by the issues that burden the rest of us. Easy to be sanctimonious in those circumstances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

“All that jazz” is a phrase Marion uses a lot along with “whatever you’re having yourself” and “ so to speak’ So many Marionisms

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Blandfest today. Even had Nevin to put the cherry on top.

There was some UN rep doing a lengthy interview- I tuned out but tuned back in at the end when MF was reading out listeners texts- 3 texts were raising questions criticising UN actions.
    1 in particular focusing on the cholera outbreak in Haiti (largely thought to have been spread by UN forces from Nepal). Whilst MF read out these texts, in question form, she didn't give the rep a chance to respond. Instead MF read out a final text that praised the UN.

All well and good giving this lady a lengthy puff piece heavy on earnest pompousness but if you're going to ask an awkward question at least
    have the balls to get a response.

Useless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭jobbridge4life

Oops69 wrote: »

Clearly a failed entity? Do you know of any other organisation that is attempting to do what the UN is (and has been) doing, that you can point to as being a more successful endeavour in this field?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭jobbridge4life

To give her credit she asked about the salaries that are 90% of budget plus a few other controversial topics. She talked about Boka Haram and other Islamist groups and the education of women. The replies she got were pure PR. It works in that it effectively doesn't answer the question put but at the same time sounds empty and formulaic.

I would reluctantly refer to the woman's accent. It makes her sound like the member of the global elite that she undoubtedly is along with her mentioned colleagues Bono and Mary Robinson. Distant from and unaffected by the issues that burden the rest of us. Easy to be sanctimonious in those circumstances.

What a sad point... you don't like her accent so you make assumptions about her. IT is nearly as pathetic as those who would bar anyone who didn't have a Montrose accent from working in RTE. BTW I'm not aware of any appreciable change to the speaking voice of Iar-Uachtarán Robinson since before, during or after her presidency. IF you can you provide any references so we can judge for ourselves?

What a sad point... you don't like her accent so you make assumptions about her. IT is nearly as pathetic as those who would bar anyone who didn't have a Montrose accent from working in RTE. BTW I'm not aware of any appreciable change to the speaking voice of Iar-Uachtarán Robinson since before, during or after her presidency. IF you can you provide any references so we can judge for ourselves?
    I know first years from Cavan who went to TCD and lost their accents after Freshers' week. Mary Robinson lived in Dublin for what, about fifty years? I think she's earned that Dublin twang, although a western accent is still clearly discernable.

And it all sounds the same to those lads in Geneva anyway, so I don't know what that poster's point was about.

Yawn! What I meant was that she had a non definable accent.

Clearly a failed entity? Do you know of any other organisation that is attempting to do what the UN is (and has been) doing, that you can point to as being a more successful endeavour in this field?
    No, I can't point to another organisation that allowed the genocide in Rwanda to continue or the massacre at srebrenica/ ethic cleansing 20 yrs ago in Bosnia.

humberklog wrote: »
    Blandfest today. Even had Nevin to put the cherry on top.

There was some UN rep doing a lengthy interview- I tuned out but tuned back in at the end when MF was reading out listeners texts- 3 texts were raising questions criticising UN actions.
    1 in particular focusing on the cholera outbreak in Haiti (largely thought to have been spread by UN forces from Nepal). Whilst MF read out these texts, in question form, she didn't give the rep a chance to respond. Instead MF read out a final text that praised the UN.

All well and good giving this lady a lengthy puff piece heavy on earnest pompousness but if you're going to ask an awkward question at least
    have the balls to get a response.

Useless.

‘a padded puff piece pendulous on pious pompousness’ :P

Alliteration needle hovering at 98 now!!!!!!

• Advertisement

Miriam had an interview with Drew Harris. Not hugely impressed with his answers regarding conflict of interest but then I don't think there is anything that he could say about that to reassure me. He stock answer was that he couldn't envisage any situation where knowledge from his previous career would be relevant. I think he's being disingenuous on this.

Now hurry up and get out of the studio, Drew, there's a number of solicitors, ex politicans and PR "gurus" that have to make their way in to that studio for the next show.

Wow that is interesting. Senior RTE staffer has approached papers with "explosive" revelations about what was going on in RTE at the time of the 2011 Presidential Election.

Turns out the Russians may not have been the only one's influencing the elections by the sounds of that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70,127 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Miriam had an interview with Drew Harris. Not hugely impressed with his answers regarding conflict of interest but then I don't think there is anything that he could say about that to reassure me. He stock answer was that he couldn't envisage any situation where knowledge from his previous career would be relevant. I think he's being disingenuous on this.

Now hurry up and get out of the studio, Drew, there's a number of solicitors, ex politicans and PR "gurus" that have to make their way in to that studio for the next show.

Unless he has closed the files on the Dublin-Monaghan bombings among other things, then he is indeed being 'disingenuous' less than a week into the job.

This is all that I could find on that RTE insider story that Marian alluded to at the start of the show.

https://www.pressreader.com/ireland/sunday-independent-ireland/20180909/281479277304639
    The whistleblower claimed to have had a major role in the election coverage and maintained that Sean Gallagher, David Norris and Martin McGuinness did not get fair coverage during the campaign in comparison to the ultimate winner, Michael D Higgins".

Hmmmmm. And as I said above, this is the same RTE that have been putting forward the narrative that the russians influenced the US election. When they appear to have done the same thing themselves in 2011.

I would suggest a lot more smoke than fire on this thing.

Let’s wait and see.

I would suggest a lot more smoke than fire on this thing. Let’s wait and see.

I would have thought so too, but if you read through that article, the person involved has contacted 11 TDs with their 4000 page statement, and the TDs know who this person is. Whoever it is they obviously think it is work risking their career over.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

I would have thought so too, but if you read through that article, the person involved has contacted 11 TDs with their 4000 page statement, and the TDs know who this person is. Whoever it is they obviously think it is work risking their career over.
    4,000 page statement?
    Well they're not an editor in RTE.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭bertsmom

Very interesting guy on talking about Putin and the whole Russian situation but my god the noise of papers being shuffled around and the general background noise in the studio was so bloody distracting! I really wish she would be far more aware of that, all her years broadcasting should at least have taught her that.
    On a positive note though Marion let the man speak uninterrupted when answering her questions and finish his sentences which is something Ciara Kelly on Newstalk could learn.

Well if it was that much hassle then why did you bother?
    My god what an ungrateful woman. They should revoke her citizenship.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

Thinking the very same

• Advertisement

She's still giving out!!

She is a whinger. Didn't she say that she was in a political campaign beforehand. Probably from one cause to the other type of activist.
    Mind you, how can she have any respect in receiving an Irish passport when Shatter started giving them away like confetti and Leo goes begging for economic migrants to come Ireland from Italy. A devalued currency.

Okay, which one of ye texted that in about saying the women should be a bit more grateful. Honey, it was you wasn't it??

Mind you, how can she have any respect in receiving an Irish passport when Shatter started giving them away like confetti and Leo goes begging for economic migrants to come Ireland from Italy. A devalued currency.
    Eh, have you considered that all most of had to do in order to receive our citizenship was be born? it is literally an accident of birth -- not some precious award.

The only people who 'earn' their citizenship are migrants, and it's an onerous process as well as an expensive one.

I assume you didn't do a tap for your citizenship, with respect.

Didn't she say that she was in a political campaign beforehand.

8th campaign. Didn't specify which side. I imagine that would strongly condition your view, on way or the other.

I would have thought so too, but
    You really wanted to believe it, as it spoke so strongly to your own preconceptions?
    if you read through that article, the person involved has contacted 11 TDs with their 4000 page statement, and the TDs know who this person is. Whoever it is they obviously think it is work risking their career over.

Yes, they're heroically briefing against their colleagues, under condition of strict anonymity, even though they think their job would be secure even if they went public. That's clearly the credibility clincher.

Eh, have you considered that all most of had to do in order to receive our citizenship was be born? it is literally an accident of birth -- not some precious award.

The only people who 'earn' their citizenship are migrants, and it's an onerous process as well as an expensive one.

I assume you didn't do a tap for your citizenship, with respect.

See how easy it would be be for me to become Chinese or Japanese?. Wouldn't happen as it is obvious I would never be Chinese or Japanese but remain Irish.
    Even the whiney woman admitted that on Marion. She said she is always Brazilian.
    She probably saw through the citizenship ceremonies for the PR stunts that they are. Moved by the Irish national anthem? Yeah right !
    What proportion of them will now flock off to the UK now that they have an EU or Irish passport.
    The Brazilian woman said said she had done minimal wage jobs. It is the mass immigration scam that allows such exploitation to be widespread. Suits Leo's buddies. Don't see the left doing much about it either. Too busy virtue signalling, without personal consequence.

See how easy it would be be for me to become Chinese or Japanese?. Wouldn't happen as it is obvious I would never be Chinese or Japanese but remain Irish.
    Even the whiney woman admitted that on Marion. She said she is always Brazilian.
    Of course you could be; just ask one of the many permanent residents in Honk Kong who were born in Europe and hold HKSAR and Chinese citizenship.

Different countries have different rules surrounding citizenship, of course, but I have no idea why you seem to think citizenship is a fixed state, unless you're confusing it with race and/or ethnicity.
    She probably saw through the citizenship ceremonies for the PR stunts that they are. Moved by the Irish national anthem? Yeah right !
    What proportion of them will now flock off to the UK now that they have an EU or Irish passport.
    The Brazilian woman said said she had done minimal wage jobs. It is the mass immigration scam that allows such exploitation to be widespread.
    You don't seem able to decide whether you want migrants to stay here, or "flock off".

I'm curious as to why you seem to be taking special umbrage with the Brazilian contributor to the discussion, and not the American or British contributors. Is it because the former didn't seem sufficiently grateful in a way that personally upset you? Bloody immigrants and their opinions, wha'? Coming here and paying taxes and swearing fidelity to the State, as if they own the joint.

Really? From a quick google, settle in China, play 250 yuan, job done. On the face of it rather easier and cheaper than here (five years minimum, fork over a grand).

Or have you therein stopped bothering with citizenship entirely, and gone back to banging on about ethnicity? As per.
    The Brazilian woman said said she had done minimal wage jobs. It is the mass immigration scam that allows such exploitation to be widespread. Suits Leo's buddies. Don't see the left doing much about it either. Too busy virtue signalling, without personal consequence.
    Too busy not getting elected, and hence never having had so much as a sniff of being able to do anything about economic exploitation, more like.

As the floods of Brazilians aren't especially evident around my gaff, I suspect this stuff about a "mass immigration scam" says less about this person or this radio item, and more about your own preoccupations.

• Advertisement

Of course you could be; just ask one of the many permanent residents in Honk Kong who were born in Europe and hold HKSAR and Chinese citizenship.

Different countries have different rules surrounding citizenship, of course, but I have no idea why you seem to think citizenship is a fixed state, unless you're confusing it with race and/or ethnicity.

You don't seem able to decide whether you want migrants to stay here, or "flock off".

I'm curious as to why you seem to be taking special umbrage with the Brazilian contributor to the discussion, and not the American or British contributors. Is it because the former didn't seem sufficiently grateful in a way that personally upset you? Bloody immigrants and their opinions, wha'? Coming here and paying taxes and swearing fidelity to the State, as if they own the joint.

The Brazilian was the acknowledged whinger, not the others. You are reading a lot into that.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement