Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Marian Finucane

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

I'm not normally a fan of Paul Williams but I loved the way he hammered Mary Lou McDonald today when she started on her sanctimonious drivel about how to stop gangland crime.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

I'm not normally a fan of Paul Williams but I loved the way he hammered Mary Lou McDonald today when she started on her sanctimonious drivel about how to stop gangland crime.

Agree with you .... I always have a feeling Williams is pushing his own agenda but he did well today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,568 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Callan57 wrote: »
    Agree with you .... I always have a feeling Williams is pushing his own agenda but he did well today

Can anyone tell me when this bit was on in the programme (even first or second hour)? I wouldn't mind hearing it back, sounds interesting - anyone giving ML a run for her money, even it is has to be PW, is good by me :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Infoanon wrote: »

I recall Rachel English standing in for Marian a few years ago and doing an excellent job.

She was far better than Byrne who clearly has no more feeling for live discussion on radio now than when she was on Newstalk. English gave up broadcasting, I suspect her cancer, treatment for which is ongoing prompted that.

mike65 wrote: »
    She was far better than Byrne who clearly has no more feeling for live discussion on radio now than when she was on Newstalk. English gave up broadcasting, I suspect her cancer, treatment for which is ongoing prompted that.

Was it not Áine Lawlor who stopped presenting (temporarily, I hope) to get treatement for cancer?

Rachel English is still on the radio, I think - although I can't actually name a programme....

• Advertisement

Rachel English is now on Morning Ireland I think but she was superb when she stood in for Marian ..... she was probably too successful at it & maybe was viewed as a threat?

The spat between Mary Lou & Paul Williams is about 5mins in on the second hour

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Rachel English is now on Morning Ireland I think but she was superb when she stood in for Marian ..... she was probably too successful at it & maybe was viewed as a threat?

Rachael originally LEFT Morning Ireland because of health issues.. I think she had problems with her Thyroid.. When she filled in for Marian was excellent, and is my preferred choice for the job permanently.. She's got a very pleasant voice and manner, she's at least as good an interviewer as Marian is, and she's sans the hysterics and giant price tag..

Rachael originally LEFT Morning Ireland because of health issues.. I think she had problems with her Thyroid.. When she filled in for Marian was excellent, and is my preferred choice for the job permanently.. She's got a very pleasant voice and manner, she's at least as good an interviewer as Marian is, and she's sans the hysterics and giant price tag..

Is she not back with Morning Ireland now .... I'm fairly certain I heard her in the mornings recently (could be wrong I'm not great in the am!) :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,709 ✭✭✭Infoanon

Is she not back with Morning Ireland now .... I'm fairly certain I heard her in the mornings recently (could be wrong I'm not great in the am!) :confused:

Rachel English is presenting morning Ireland along with Gavin Jennings and Cathal mac Coille.
    Aine Lawlor is currently on leave for medical reasons.

I'm not disagreeing, tbh I never knew she was back working full time..
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rachael_English

Her wiki page says that she had only previously "stood in" as a presenter on Morning Ireland.. I thought that she had been a full time presenter.. Either way, she would be sooo much better that either Finucane or Mary Wilson..

• Advertisement

I'm not disagreeing, tbh I never knew she was back working full time..
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rachael_English

Her wiki page says that she had only previously "stood in" as a presenter on Morning Ireland.. I thought that she had been a full time presenter.. Either way, she would be sooo much better that either Finucane or Mary Wilson..

Oh yes... although I don't mind MF quite as much as a lot of others on here seem to, but Mary Wilson drive me nuts, can't listen to her at all. A ****-stirrer extrordinaire, second only to talk-to-Joe IMO.

Ah right, both ill at different times. You can tell I am still in bed half asleep (at best) when Morning Ireland is on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

And both consummate professionals.

I hope we get to hear from Aine again, the sooner the better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭Greenman

I hope we get to hear from Aine again, the sooner the better.

I hope she gets better but stays off the radio.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 countrymary

Is it sanctimonious drivel to suggest that if you don't support communities, you will end up with problems in an area? What exactly is sanctimonious about that? And what part of her contribution was drivel?

Is it sanctimonious drivel to suggest that if you don't support communities, you will end up with problems in an area? What exactly is sanctimonious about that? And what part of her contribution was drivel?

Well, I'm not exactly sure if you know about the history of Sinn Fein, but they're the last people I'd want to be involved in "community support". :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

Greenman wrote: »
    I hope she gets better but stays off the radio.

Aine Lawlor? I thought she was a1.

Marian still on her mid-term break ... bye, I off for a walk with the ipod

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

just as well mate as claire is giving us a nice sob story from a former FF minister about how life is treating her and her THREE pensions.

****ers in RTE are really trying to rehabilitate that shower shamelessly.

she's actually crying about how all she has to live on is those pensions. WTF are the REST of us meant to do when we get the sack luv?

thats right, get another ****ing job !

the way she's going on you'd swear she's 90 or somehting. god its angering me up no end.

im off to podcast the sunday busineess show on today fm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

Unbelievable easy ride there for Hanafin.
    'First we'll take the country, then we'll RTE!'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,134 ✭✭✭✭dvcireland

Marian still on her mid-term break ... bye, I off for a walk with the ipod
    She is involved with a charity that heads off to South Africa at this time of year, similar to Niall Mellon project.

NelsonMendela.jpg

"...no Joe, you rang me !..." A.Caller.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

... she's actually crying about how all she has to live on is those pensions....
    I'd be as ready as anybody else to condemn FF, and am not particularly a fan of Mary Hanafin (interesting that I feel that I need to make this clear as a preliminary to my next sentence). To be fair, she was not crying about her pension: she said it was very good.

Hanafin wasn't the worst of them. I always thought she was very straight, unlike the rest of that shower of wasters and gombeens, but I'm astonished that she still thinks they did the right thing in bailing out Anglo Irish Bank. :mad:

Hanafin wasn't the worst of them. I always thought she was very straight, unlike the rest of that shower of wasters and gombeens, but I'm astonished that she still thinks they did the right thing in bailing out Anglo Irish Bank. :mad:

Less bent I prefer to say!

You can't be serious ... she sat round a table where decisions were taken, or not taken, that have destroyed the lives & futures of countless Irish families for a generation. If she had any conscience or sense of morality she'd hand back her many pensions as they are an obscene, excessive and undeserved reward considering she failed dismally in the jobs she was given when elected. She & the rest of her FF cronies betrayed the people & the nation of Ireland and should hang their heads in shame.
    Brass neck doesn't come an harder :mad:

She & the rest of her FF cronies betrayed the people & the nation of Ireland and should hang their heads in shame. Brass neck doesn't come an harder :mad:

There's a certain arrogance about this woman that I dont like.. And the hatchet job she did on Cowan was cowardly as well.. She seems to take no responsibility for any of what happened, even though she was part of the Government and voted with the party whip every time, through all the years that caused the damage..

There's a certain arrogance about this woman that I dont like.. And the hatchet job she did on Cowan was cowardly as well.. She seems to take no responsibility for any of what happened, even though she was part of the Government and voted with the party whip every time, through all the years that caused the damage..

The most cringe making interview I have ever listened to ... literally puke making :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,367 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Im downloaded it now.

You can't be serious ... she sat round a table where decisions were taken, or not taken, that have destroyed the lives & futures of countless Irish families for a generation. If she had any conscience or sense of morality she'd hand back her many pensions as they are an obscene, excessive and undeserved reward considering she failed dismally in the jobs she was given when elected. She & the rest of her FF cronies betrayed the people & the nation of Ireland and should hang their heads in shame.
    Brass neck doesn't come an harder :mad:

Fair enough. I agree with you on everything you've said but I always thought she was one of the few members of Fianna Fail who wasn't completely motivated by self-interest. I also felt a bit sorry for her when her husband died so suddenly.

Sorry for putting my head above the parapet. :D

• Advertisement

Happyman42 wrote: »
    Unbelievable easy ride there for Hanafin.
    'First we'll take the country, then we'll RTE!'

I was initially fuming with the easy ride Claire Byrne was giving - it was a repeat of last weeks bubblegum political analysis BUT

While CB gave Hanafin as easy ride the answers Hanafin gave where so damaging 'my 3 pensions are rolled up into one' 'I am not giving up my pension as its my only income' 'I haven't agreed how much I will get paid by TG4' that CB was better letting Hanafin hang herself - MH even complained about RTE !

I just listened to it twice there.. All I can say is that I hope she wasnt a history teacher, because if her recollection of her years in Government are anything to go by, analysis of hard facts is not her strong point..

She seems to have a combination of the sense of entitlement from years as a public servant, combined with the conceit that being a Government Minister brings.. She's too good for a menial teaching job now, and would rather tour schools lecturing to people about education.. perhaps in a similar way that Richard Nixon became a statesman of renown after he left office.. :rolleyes:

Her attitude to the 140k a year pension is absolutely disgraceful... "sure what else can I do.. I've no other income.. I worked for 37 years for that pension.. 17 years in teaching" .. How can she justify 140k, she would hav been getting a small fraction of that as a teacher??? If she took 30k of it you could say fair enough, but for a woman who says that "you never go in to politics for the money", she is doing very well.. She is still benefiting for the pay and benefit increases that were brought in at the time of the Exchequer surpluses.. which of course where the result of the property related taxes..

And for the last time Fianna Fáil, Lehman's had NOTHING to do with our property bubble..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭jimmyw

I was initially fuming with the easy ride Claire Byrne was giving - it was a repeat of last weeks bubblegum political analysis BUT

While CB gave Hanafin as easy ride the answers Hanafin gave where so damaging 'my 3 pensions are rolled up into one' 'I am not giving up my pension as its my only income' 'I haven't agreed how much I will get paid by TG4' that CB was better letting Hanafin hang herself - MH even complained about RTE !

No No No! it was RTE that twisted it to sound worse than it was, to make her look bad;)..............Bold RTE:D

When Claire was talking to the fella about Whitney Houston's funeral, who apparently is a regular on her "daily show", when the interview was over, she said "I'll see you on the show".His response sounded like he was thinking, "Oh dear God", which I am sure was not the case............................................

or was it?;)

Well thats 1 hour I wont get back - shockingly bad show this morning - is Claire Bryne even interested in the discussion ? her few interventions to the default response from guests seem to be pre scripted questions which bear little relation to what the guests have discussed........bring back Marian !

Wonder will Claire get around to discussing how Nama nearly cost Ireland more jobs again - google this week, Sky last week etc - stated she would discuss but still waiting..........currently they are rehashing a story already discussed in the first half hour.......

Wonder will Claire get around to discussing how Nama nearly cost Ireland more jobs again - google this week, Sky last week etc - stated she would discuss but still waiting..........currently they are rehashing a story already discussed in the first half hour.......

Never discussed,

Interesting debate kicks off between Joe Higgins and Richard Bruton and...Claire brings it to a halt to go to a journalist on the phone about the Hay/Chispora debacle...........:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭AngryBollix

The guy that couldnt afford the bill was told he'd have to pay 20k for treatment.

He went home

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭AngryBollix

a dingo is eating my brain

Just listened back to the podcast, having fallen asleep this morning after hearing Clare Byrne's voice for two minutes..

Joe Higgins and Brendan Keenan lecturing on economics and job creation..

That is Brendan Keenan of:

"We know what the bad loans of the banks are, about 1% of their loan books".. Yet still RTE bring these "experts" in to studio to lecture us.

I like Joe Higgins personally, but he is probably THE most cynical person in the Dáil ... He endorsed Vincent Browne, who this week was criticising people for shopping dole cheats.. This is just populism on his part. He comes out with the same old mantras every time "speculators, bondholders", never anything new to add to his broken record collection.

I like Joe Higgins personally, but he is probably THE most cynical person in the Dáil ... He endorsed Vincent Browne, who this week was criticising people for shopping dole cheats.. This is just populism on his part. He comes out with the same old mantras every time "speculators, bondholders", never anything new to add to his broken record collection.

Vincent Browne was criticising the 'spin' put out last week when the Dept for social protection stated that €645 million would be saved through social welfare control measures and used the word 'fraud' 16 times in the press release thus giving the impression that €645 woukd be saved through a crackdown of fraud.....alas this is not the case.

€645m is being saved primarily through the elimination of mistakes !, there is fraud being elimiated but nothing like the figures Joan Burton 'spinned' last week.

I do agree that Joe was allowed the usual default answers,but so Richard Bruton which is why Claire Byrne should not be allowed anywhere near any political discussion on radio.

Vincent Browne was criticising the 'spin' put out last week when the Dept for social protection

Vincent DID also directly have a go at people who reported social welfare fraud, and seemed to find some vindication for his own criticism of them when it was revealed that only one third of those cases reported were proven to be fraud.. Regarding the one third figure, I would be thinking two things..
    i) It's great that these people, who had been robbing the State, have been stopped.
    ii) The reason the number of cases proven were only one third of those reported has more to do with not being able to PROVE the cases, more so than those reported being innocent of any wrong doing.. Very hard to prove somebody's living arrangements conclusively, particularly if they are doing their best to orchestrate a situation to optimize their benefits..

Burton was probably wrong to pull a figure out of the air... but out of 20 billion benefits that the State is currently paying, I would think there is at least 1 billion of it that is being claimed unjustly.
    I do agree that Joe was allowed the usual default answers,but so Richard Bruton which is why Claire Byrne should not be allowed anywhere near any political discussion on radio.

I think Richard Bruton really devalues his own argument with the way that he carries himself... smiling, joking etc... He's in a serious job and he should give the impression that he is taking is seriously... Dont talk to me about Claire Byrne, I think she's awful on the radio.. Rachael English must have been out of town this weekend. Marian is now on her second week off, I wonder will we hear her again before Christmas.

ii) The reason the number of cases proven were only one third of those reported has more to do with not being able to PROVE the cases, more so than those reported being innocent of any wrong doing.. Very hard to prove somebody's living arrangements conclusively, particularly if they are doing their best to orchestrate a situation to optimize their benefits..

Only 174 cases where reported to the Gardai - fraud needs to be stamped out, spinning incorrect information helps no one.

Marian is back next week ! Rachel English is on Morning Ireland, as for Claire........hopefully she will stick to the Daily Show on TV, out of her depth on politics.......:mad:

• Advertisement

hopefully she will stick to the Daily Show on TV, out of her depth on politics.......:mad:

Don't forget her stints on The Late Debate as well :eek:.

Gorgeous girl, but far better suited to discussing the latest Hollywood trivialities on that evening show with Daithi the gigolo.
    Rachel English should have Marian Finucane's job permanently.

Only 174 cases where reported to the Gardai - fraud needs to be stamped out, spinning incorrect information helps no one.

I agree on the spinning.. She should not have guesstimated a figure as to how much was being defrauded from the State.. I still think it is wrong to criticise people who report social welfare fraud.. If you are living in a housing estate, and across the road from you is somebody (in a similar house) claiming benefits that they are not entitled to, why would you NOT tell the Department Of Social Welfare.. It's the patriotic thing to do..
    Gorgeous girl, but far better suited to discussing the latest Hollywood trivialities on that evening show with Daithi the gigolo. Rachel English should have Marian Finucane's job permanently.

Agree 100% Harry.. She's beautiful looking girl, but wouldnt be the sharpest political mind. Putting her on the radio is like giving Lionel Messi a job as point guard for the Boston Celtics... Put her on the telly where she can look good and talk about trivial things... And Rachael English should have been given Marian's job LONG ago..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

Don't forget her stints on The Late Debate as well :eek:.

Gorgeous girl, but far better suited to discussing the latest Hollywood trivialities on that evening show with Daithi the gigolo.
    Rachel English should have Marian Finucane's job permanently.

She's been terrible at practically everything she has tried. Except maybe reading the news on TV3 years ago.

She doesn't have the brains for heavy subject material or for asking the pertinent questions.

And she ain't gorgeous either. Don't know how she got that reputation in Ireland. You'd see better looking girls on the street every hour of every day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

I agree on the spinning.. She should not have guesstimated a figure as to how much was being defrauded from the State.. I still think it is wrong to criticise people who report social welfare fraud.. If you are living in a housing estate, and across the road from you is somebody (in a similar house) claiming benefits that they are not entitled to, why would you NOT tell the Department Of Social Welfare.. It's the patriotic thing to do..

I think you are being unfair to Vincent there Jonathon. I would not normally be defending his usual hysterics but I think he was criticising the climate where neighbour was encouraged to report on neighbour. A properly populated social welfare department and an efficiently run one is what the government should be promoting to stamp out fraud. It isn't rocket science but due diligence that is required. Then there would be no need for informants. You are just encouraging a begrudger/revenger charter, which is divisive, no matter what way it is operated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,367 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

She returns.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

...and forgets to switch her mobile phone off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 534 ✭✭✭PaulieBoy

Lapin wrote: »
    ...and forgets to switch her mobile phone off.
    ...and has the cheek to blame the person who rang her!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

PaulieBoy wrote: »
    ...and has the cheek to blame the person who rang her!

Heard it too, and I couldn't believe it. A younger broadcaster would likely get fired for something like that, but an 'old pro' like Marian will continue on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

Nora Casey on the panel this morning. Is that woman ever off the radio? In fact she's on the radio more often than Marian at this stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Nora Casey on the panel this morning. Is that woman ever off the radio? In fact she's on the radio more often than Marian at this stage.

New series of "Dragons Den" on the way in a week or two.
    Incestuous RTE at its finest pressing the self-promotion button.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement