Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Marian Finucane

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭maxwell smart

Leo on now saying he didn't interfere in the election and won't apologise for campaigning against Peter Casey.

I have a sneaking suspicion that Marian either doesn't like Leo or has a sneaking admiration of the way Casey has shook things up a little

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭anthonyjmaher

Leo on now saying he didn't interfere in the election and won't apologise for campaigning against Peter Casey.

He was very disingenuous about how he responded to that question about Peter Casey. She really is getting stuck in to him today.

This is what Diarmuid Gavin would have sounded like if he'd gone to private school

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Oops69

He was very disingenuous about how he responded to that question about Peter Casey. She really is getting stuck in to him today.

I'D say he got a gold star when he was at blue shirt training school in young Fine Gael...What will it take for this country to get a real leader rather than a career politician / civil service and media lackey?.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭newcavanman

You are right about Leo, but Marian didnt get stuck into him. She whinned on like an angry teenager, spewing out the usual RTE claptrap about evictions and the homeless and how people need to be kept in their homes, whatever the cost. Handy suggestions from a woman on neary 400K a year for four hours broadcasting. Im no fan of Varadkar, as i think he is Blair like in his belief that spin is the answer to everything, but in truth if he was up against someone like Niall Boylan or Hookie or Uncle Ivan, he might have been rattled.
    This interview was a walk in the park for him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭hawley

According to the German correspondent, there's a lot of excitement about the possibility of Friedrich Merz taking over as new Chancellor. He currently works as an advisor to Blackrock Asset Management, who were involved in buying up lots of NAMA properties. Not one of the panellists made a comment on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Ah, that's a pity. I was looking forward to Michael's contribution there.

In keeping with that old show biz saying "leave them wanting more".

Maybe Marian will ask him back next week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,822 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Oops69 wrote: »
    I'D say he got a gold star when he was at blue shirt training school in young Fine Gael...What will it take for this country to get a real leader rather than a career politician / civil service and media lackey?.

Probably for the electorate to wake up and stop electing timbers who think the country can survive giving handouts to every gloamer wandering around the place from cradle to grave.

That would at least be a start, in this posters opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,744 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Surely the term 'disingenuous' is a P.C term gone mad? Aren't you in favour of saying it out straight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Id say your woman has a PR background, real spin on all her spiel.

• Advertisement

Marion just calling her out on her spiel there now, fair play!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,170 ✭✭✭✭dvcireland

Bord Bia Corporate Lady

latest?cb=20151208200842

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,876 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Marion just calling her out on her spiel there now, fair play!

Organic, natural, free range, farm fresh

It’s a marketers dream

Now we have an Iranian woman giving her whole life story in huge detail

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,145 ✭✭✭Mena Mitty

It’s a marketers dream

Packed like sardines in cages in the open sea....it's enough to put you off your smoked salmon sambo's.

Did I hear right, we're 800% self sufficient ?

At least she sounds human onlike corporate bot 3000

At least she sounds human onlike corporate bot 3000
    Mena Mitty wrote: »

It’s a marketers dream

Packed like sardines in cages in the open sea....it's enough to put you off your smoked salmon sambo's.

Did I hear right, we're 800% self sufficient ?

Lies from her, not organic at all thankfully Marion has some knowledge, yeah 800%, maybe she'll end up working for Trump with all her nonsense.

Surely they wont be 550 a month forever, not how the market works.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

The point about the Health Service is not that people aren't working terrribly hard .. they just aren't working terribly clever. Huge amouts of timewasting, inefficiency & vested interest manipulation.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭batgoat

Callan57 wrote: »
    The point about the Health Service is not that people aren't working terrribly hard .. they just aren't working terribly clever. Huge amouts of timewasting, inefficiency & vested interest manipulation.

And the biggest problems in our health service relate more to administration rather than doctors or nurses. Anyone with a nurse in their family has experienced plenty of Christmases where they're absent and working crazy hours. That's not because those staff are inefficient or timewasters.

batgoat wrote: »
    And the biggest problems in our health service relate more to administration rather than doctors or nurses. Anyone with a nurse in their family has experienced plenty of Christmases where they're absent and working crazy hours. That's not because those staff are inefficient or timewasters.

Agree ... what I was referring to was the systems and procedures they are using.

I witnessed myself a nurse getting set up to do a procedure on a patient and making 3 journeys in and out of the ward to get the requirements together ... minor but clear evidence inefficent work practise? And any nurse or doctor will tell you about the monumental amount of time spent on paper work.
    Imagine a waiter making 3 journeys to set up a table ... wouldn't last long with Francis Brennan I'd bet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70,731 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Agree ... what I was referring to was the systems and procedures they are using.

I witnessed myself a nurse getting set up to do a procedure on a patient and making 3 journeys in and out of the ward to get the requirements together ... minor but clear evidence inefficent work practise? And any nurse or doctor will tell you about the monumental amount of time spent on paper work.
    Imagine a waiter making 3 journeys to set up a table ... wouldn't last long with Francis Brennan I'd bet.

Every time I have to go to a hospital (and I have been there with two different patients many times this year unfortunately) I always get the urge to shout 'freeze' at different stages, and to get everyone to stop what they are doing.
    Then go around and ask each member of staff what they are doing to construct a time and motion study.
    The amount of staff on corridors walking around seems to me to be phenomenal at any given time.
    It would also be good to question end users of the system, to see what time they were called for appointment and what time they have been waiting for said appointment.

Maybe I am wrong but there just seems to me to be tremendous wastage in the system.

Every time I have to go to a hospital (and I have been there with two different patients many times this year unfortunately) I always get the urge to shout 'freeze' at different stages, and to get everyone to stop what they are doing.
    Then go around and ask each member of staff what they are doing to construct a time and motion study.
    The amount of staff on corridors walking around seems to me to be phenomenal at any given time.
    It would also be good to question end users of the system, to see what time they were called for appointment and what time they have been waiting for said appointment.

Maybe I am wrong but there just seems to me to be tremendous wastage in the system.

How is the knee Francie?

There’s your answer folks.

How is the knee Francie?

Brendan's up. Good job.

The knee is fine and has been for quite some time.

• Advertisement

Brendan's up. Good job.

The knee is fine and has been for quite some time.

Good news there F.

Looking forward to your next marathon defense of the indefensible.

Wonder what it will be?

Might fire up a thread on ‘Why Ireland spends so much on Health despite the young age profile of our population’

Or maybe, ‘Alledged sale of social housing in Galway to senior members of GCC’

Could be a 25 pager in those bad boys, if auld Franc got stuck in.

Good news there F.

Looking forward to your next marathon defense of the indefensible.

Wonder what it will be?

Might fire up a thread on ‘Why Ireland spends so much on Health despite the young age profile of our population’

Or maybe, ‘Alledged sale of social housing in Galway to senior members of GCC’

Could be a 25 pager in those bad boys, if auld Franc got stuck in.

I'd rather be passionate about a subject than carp from the sidelines Brendy. Integrity trumps spite, so to speak.

I'd rather be passionate about a subject than carp from the sidelines Brendy. Integrity trumps spite, so to speak.

Myself, Francie, I prefer to be passionate about the things that matter.

The real stuff, not wasting my time defending stuff like trying to convince folk that’s its dark while the fcuking sun is high in the sky.

Get me knife, bro?

Myself, Francie, I prefer to be passionate about the things that matter.

The real stuff, not wasting my time defending stuff like trying to convince folk that’s its dark while the fcuking sun is high in the sky.

Get me knife, bro?

Good man Brendy. Could you refrain from attacking me now and contribute to the thread? Which you will see is in the Radio forum and titled Marian Finucane not FrancieBrady.

;)
    Good man Brendy. Could you refrain from attacking me now and contribute to the thread? Which you will see is in the Radio forum and titled Marian Finucane not FrancieBrady.

Good point F.

Apologies.

• Advertisement

This is a bit ridiculous. Get in a five expensive PR/Media/Political heads and get them to talk about a subject they have a feigned interest in. It's a bit of a competition with Marion to see how can pretend they feign interest better.

Marian’s level of political debate is like a random aul wan scanning the paper headlines in a coffee shop

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Oops69

Alistair Campbell , another regular on this show , obviously no one in the UK could be bothered listening to the war-mongerers aide .

Alistair Campbell , another regular on this show , obviously no one in the UK could be bothered listening to the war-mongerers aide .

The UK got to hear him too.

https://www.lbc.co.uk/radio/presenters/nigel-farage/alastair-campbell-brexit-referendum-clash/

Putting aside his past I find him always worth listening to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

He's everywhere - again! Especially that he's started campaigning for a second referendum. What is the fascination with him for Irish radio programmes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

Probably because he's easy to get?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

He's everywhere - again! Especially that he's started campaigning for a second referendum. What is the fascination with him for Irish radio programmes.

You answered your own question.

citykat wrote: »
    You answered your own question.

Not really. National media could - and should - try to have a variety of contributors on any side of an argument.
    And Campbell was on the airwaves very often prior to the second ref campaign. Too often I say!

"Easy to get" Yeah that's probably it. And relentless self-promotion.
    Interviewed from a departure lounge while his name is being called for boarding.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭serfboard

Interviewed from a departure lounge while his name is being called for boarding.
    That kind of sh1te really annoys me, and Campbell isn't the first to do it. If you're about to board a plane, don't do interviews on live radio!

It also conveniently doesn't allow any points made to be challenged ... at least not while the person making them is on.

serfboard wrote: »
    That kind of sh1te really annoys me, and Campbell isn't the first to do it. If you're about to board a plane, don't do interviews on live radio!

It also conveniently doesn't allow any points made to be challenged ... at least not while the person making them is on.

Maybe Edwina Currie on her dog walk could present the opposing view.

I was thinking of the other waiting passengers and Alistair insincere apology on boarding.
    "Would you like to apologise to Iraq while you're at it " I decided would be my ideal heckle.

• Advertisement

Eamon Ryan getting a kicking from the Road Haulage lady ... better know your stuff if you take her on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

I've seen her in action a few times on Yates/Cooper on TV3. A formidable woman.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭serfboard

Eamon Ryan getting a kicking from the Road Haulage lady ... better know your stuff if you take her on
    Was going to post about this myself. Although I'd be in favour of the Green agenda, like a lot of politicians Ryan is a spoofer, and it doesn't take much to catch him out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

the show today starts with a gurgling of phlegm and hacking. she can barely speak at this stage.

Oh god will you shut up about soccer, you haven't got a f**king notion.

Not sure if you heard all of that segment.
    Usually I would agree about Verona Murphy but she sort of lost the plot there.
    Talking about gas masks on cows etc.
    I think E Ryan was take aback myself rather than caught out.
    I don't always agree with him but he is well briefed and speaks with passion about environmental issues.

(just noticed this was in the S O'R show so not sure why it turned up here)

Consolata Boyle has a beautiful voice ... reminds me of Fiona Shaw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Background sound effects are mad on today's programme - somebody doing the washing-up, people not in the studio talking, airline terminal noises??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

elperello wrote: »
    Not sure if you heard all of that segment.
    Usually I would agree about Verona Murphy but she sort of lost the plot there.
    Talking about gas masks on cows etc.
    I think E Ryan was take aback myself rather than caught out.
    I don't always agree with him but he is well briefed and speaks with passion about environmental issues.

(just noticed this was in the S O'R show so not sure why it turned up here)

I'm not certain that Verona Murphy "lost the plot" with the bovine gas-mask remark,but rather used a very attention-grabbing description to underline a reality.

That reality,as outlined very succinctly during a Dept 0f Transport/NTA presentation to the Institute of Engineers some months ago,is one in which in excess of 80% of Ireland Carbon emissions originate in the Agricultural sector.

Of the remainder,c.10% come from Vehicles,with less than half of this coming from Road Haulage/Public Service Vehicles.

Yet,the only show in the Carbon Reduction town is almost totally focused upon the 10%/5% sector,with agricultural emissions barely referred to.

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,071 ✭✭✭✭neris

AlekSmart wrote: »
    I
    Yet,the only show in the Carbon Reduction town is almost totally focused upon the 10%/5% sector,with agricultural emissions barely referred to.

Can't be upsetting the farmers or the IF A so it's easy to target everyone else who won't give out. Modern diesel truck engines are far more curl efficient and environmentally friendly and the vast majority of trucks on Irish roads are at leadt euro5 standard engines with anything new been euro 6. Our govt are spineless and always find it easy to keep the minority of noise makers happier then what's good for the majorith

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement