Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Marian Finucane

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭batgoat

"There are some people who wont be satisfied with anything"

What a trite, populist thing for Peter Boylan to say. Some people actually have a problem with terminating babies lives, Peter.

The referendum passed by large margin. Get over it at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,750 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

batgoat wrote: »

Doesn’t mean that a person isn’t entitled to their views though?

Perfectly entitled but I'm equally allowed to tell them to get over themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭ouxbbkqtswdfaw

Megan and Harry were delighted with her pregnancy, at 13 weeks.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Did anybody hear the remark that Peter Boylan made about Marian Finucane and the smoking ban. I wouldn't say she liked that.

I was driving and listening to that bit and cracked up laughing fair fooks to him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,107 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Did anybody hear the remark that Peter Boylan made about Marian Finucane and the smoking ban. I wouldn't say she liked that.
    Studio went silent.
    Boylan's pause for a laugh. was left on his own, had to carry on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,004 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Is she near retirement or will she go on until the oxygen bottles have to be brought into the studio with her?

Seriously though, for someone who smokes so much she looks well, and hasn't had any illnesses that I know of. Must be luck or something like that.

I am no fan of hers, but the interview she did with her dying friend Nuala was just something else. I don't know how she did it, but she did. That was years ago now though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭jeremyj1968

batgoat wrote: »

There's a difference between accepting the vote, and being forced to do something that you voted against and don't agree with. I don't think it's unreasonable that a doctor who does not agree with abortion should not have to carry out the act of killing the baby.

It's actually scary the group think on these types of shows. I think that everybody is handed a memo on the way in to the studio that says "Trump bad, BREXIT bad, abortion good".

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Mod note - take any 8th talk to after hours please

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

Is she near retirement or will she go on until the oxygen bottles have to be brought into the studio with her?

Seriously though, for someone who smokes so much she looks well, and hasn't had any illnesses that I know of. Must be luck or something like that.

I am no fan of hers, but the interview she did with her dying friend Nuala was just something else. I don't know how she did it, but she did. That was years ago now though.

That was a fabulous interview with Nuala. I listen to Marian every week (when she is on!). I know that her salary is crazy but think that she is one of the best Irish radio presenters...Pat Kenny is my favourite

honeybear wrote: »
    That was a fabulous interview with Nuala. I listen to Marian every week (when she is on!). I know that her salary is crazy but think that she is one of the best Irish radio presenters...Pat Kenny is my favourite

I think she can be great if the topic interests her, then she's invariably read up on the topic and ends up with a really interesting discussion. But when she isn't, I think it's like she's phoning it in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

honeybear wrote: »

Great interview, but the real star was Nuala honestly laying bare the anger and bitterness of dealing with a terminal diagnosis.

I don't think I've ever heard such a brutal account.

Powerful radio.

padd b1975 wrote: »
    Great interview, but the real star was Nuala honestly laying bare the anger and bitterness of dealing with a terminal diagnosis.

I don't think I've ever heard such a brutal account.

Powerful radio.

Indeed it was powerful. We all think those dying will just accept their fate and go into the wild yonder quietly and peacefully without any anger, sadness or anything else. That interview was raw and so truthful.

Stays in my memory.

Anyone know if I can get a podcast or recording of it anywhere? Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,854 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Indeed it was powerful. We all think those dying will just accept their fate and go into the wild yonder quietly and peacefully without any anger, sadness or anything else. That interview was raw and so truthful.

Stays in my memory.

That’s one of the very few memorable things she has done.

Mainly because she was best friends with the interviewee and the interviewee was given space and allowed talk.

99% of MFs interviews are turgid and shallow affairs.

Many times she shows herself to be very unprofessional with no research done and it results in a boring rubbishy interview.

She constantly resorts to stagnant cliches.

Should’ve been put out to grass years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

Stays in my memory.

Whenever I hear anyone refer to someone with a cancer diagnosis as being "brave" and "staying positive" and "determined to fight it" I am reminded of that interview with Nuala O'Faolain and kinda wonder at the pressure put on someone who is already ill to kinda put on a performance.
    That interview was such incredibly powerful radio ...... RIP Nuala

See who would replace her? I really enjoy the paper review but when she’s not on I don’t bother listening (even though I give out about her coughing and spluttering). Sometimes the divil you know is better!

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭sideboard

That’s one of the very few memorable things she has done.

Mainly because she was best friends with the interviewee and the interviewee was given space and allowed talk.

99% of MFs interviews are turgid and shallow affairs.

Many times she shows herself to be very unprofessional with no research done and it results in a boring rubbishy interview.

She constantly resorts to stagnant cliches.

You must be on wrong dial. Marian is one of our treasures...just listen. No wonder high-paying commercial stations wanted her to move to their dial. Too principaled is our Marian.

BTW, when it comes to Best of Public Broadcasting, just listen back to interview with (then) Minister Joe Jacob.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

I'm pretty sure it was available as a podcast at the time. Maybe it still is if you trawl back through the website?

I'm pretty sure it was available as a podcast at the time. Maybe it still is if you trawl back through the website?

Thanks. Feeling a bit lazy at the moment. Will do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 360 ✭✭radia

Here it is:

Nuala Ó Faoláin's interview with Marian Finucane

6 weeks after Nuala's cancer diagnosis, one month before death.

radia wrote: »
    Here it is:

Nuala Faol's interview with Marian Finucane

6 weeks after Nuala's cancer diagnosis, one month before death.

Thank you. I have just listened.

Just as harrowing as the first time I heard it back in 2008. Well when you lose family members to this disease it is very emotional. Sorry for being so indulgent. But what I really liked about that interview was the honesty of Nuala. I would be the same, rage, rage at the dying of the light.

And feck being the perfect cancer patient who is dying also.

Sorry if I have upset anyone. We are all touched by this sh!t one way or another.

sideboard wrote: »
    You must be on wrong dial. Marian is one of our treasures...just listen. No wonder high-paying commercial stations wanted her to move to their dial. Too principaled is our Marian.

BTW, when it comes to Best of Public Broadcasting, just listen back to interview with (then) Minister Joe Jacob.

No she is not. She’s way too comfortable in RTÉ and most weekends she does a lazy half arsed job. The show is stale. She should be sacked forthwith.

Off top of my head, Claire Byrne is far superior to what finucane offers these days.

So, Princess Hiya phoned Mary Robinson to fly in and give her "counselling" services on family problems? Was she looking up Mary Poppins in the phone book and dialled the wrong number by mistake?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

No she is not. She’s way too comfortable in RTÉ and most weekends she does a lazy half arsed job. The show is stale. She should be sacked forthwith.

Off top of my head, Claire Byrne is far superior to what finucane offers these days.
    Marian has become lazy,I agree, but she is capable and has a brain in her head.
    You lost your credibility with that comment re. Claire Byrne I'm afraid. Claire is thick as mince, her rise is baffling.

Marian has become lazy,I agree, but she is capable and has a brain in her head.
    You lost your credibility with that comment re. Claire Byrne I'm afraid. Claire is thick as mince, her rise is baffling.

She’s better than finucane though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

She’s better than finucane though.

As much as I resent Finucane for phoning it in, I respectfully disagree.

Let’s agree to disagree so. My view is that finucane should’ve been moved on at least 5 years ago. The question of who replaces her is up for debate.

Finucane is certainly not the broadcaster she once was, but when she's good she's good. Today I think she was good in that interview with Princess Hiya.

I wanted to learn a bit more about the case with Latifa, so I found this on the youchoob.

60 Minutes Australia does some good work and this is an interesting documentary. When Latifa left the UAE, she left with her best friend Tina, who is interviewed in this documentary. I find it hard to see how Mary Robinson could look at this documentary and still want to get involved.

• Advertisement

I wanted to learn a bit more about the case with Latifa, so I found this on the youchoob.

60 Minutes Australia does some good work and this is an interesting documentary. When Latifa left the UAE, she left with her best friend Tina, who is interviewed in this documentary. I find it hard to see how Mary Robinson could look at this documentary and still want to get involved.
    Something odd definitely happened. All she had to say was that her mental health should be independently verified and not get involved any more than that.

Finucane is certainly not the broadcaster she once was, but when she's good she's good. Today I think she was good in that interview with Princess Hiya.

Clearly the girl herself didn't feel it was a "private family matter". I don't think I would care to be in her shoes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭jobbridge4life

Let’s agree to disagree so. My view is that finucane should’ve been moved on at least 5 years ago. The question of who replaces her is up for debate.

On what basis? Isn't Marian still one of the highest radio draws? Why would you 'move on' an employee who is one of your star workers?

On what basis? Isn't Marian still one of the highest radio draws? Why would you 'move on' an employee who is one of your star workers?

Cost ?

I found the BBC documentary that was shown when Latifa tried to escape earlier this year.

Just google "dailymotion escape from dubai" and you will find the full documentary on dailymotion. Her sister tried to escape years ago and is still under house arrest. She tried to escape herself back in the early 2000s and was caught and tortured. How did Robinson get caught up in this? Are you telling me that she didn't see this documentary?

I found the BBC documentary that was shown when Latifa tried to escape earlier this year.

Just google "dailymotion escape from dubai" and you will find the full documentary on dailymotion. Her sister tried to escape years ago and is still under house arrest. She tried to escape herself back in the early 2000s and was caught and tortured. How did Robinson get caught up in this? Are you telling me that she didn't see this documentary?

Robinson has been Teflon Mary up to this.

Very strange she got entangled and while she usually has the ‘high ground’ in all interviews, in my opinion she struggled badly on this issue in an interview with Mishal Hussein BBCR4.

First time I ever heard her badly rattled,and rattled she was.

Strange situation certainly

It really makes my blood boil to have John Fitzgerald rolled out every week to tell us how to solve the problems of other Government departments, when he couldn't even do his own job properly in the ESRI, a job which he was meant to be qualified for.

And in case everybody in there is afraid to say it, the reason the health service will be the same in twenty years is because of the unions. Any minimal practical change will have the unions coming back to the Government with their cap in hand for another shake down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Oops69

Some massivley poorly informed Opinions on the topics this morning , one contributor even tried to equate provision of vasectomy with provision of abortion .

It really makes my blood boil to have John Fitzgerald rolled out every week to tell us how to solve the problems of other Government departments, when he couldn't even do his own job properly in the ESRI, a job which he was meant to be qualified for.

And in case everybody in there is afraid to say it, the reason the health service will be the same in twenty years is because of the unions. Any minimal practical change will have the unions coming back to the Government with their cap in hand for another shake down.
    The two most sensible comments I've heard in a long time.

• Advertisement

The Problem with our health service is a very simple five letters, SIPTU.

John Fitzgerald pontificanting about carbon tax from the comfort of a house next to a LUAS or DART STOP.

Oops69 wrote: »
    John Fitzgerald pontificanting about carbon tax from the comfort of a house next to a LUAS or DART STOP.

I think the State just treats John Fitzgerald like the way you treat your granddad. You can't just get rid of him, so you just give him the Irish Times crossword and tell him to sit down in the chair in the corner. He won't anything productive done, but you can at least be sure that he wont do any more harm.

She’s a “star worker”? Ffs

Yeah the young are still very attuned to the environment. They will do a youtube video on how to save the environment as their school project, and then get picked up outside the school in a 4 litre SUV for that interminable 1KM journey home.

The Problem with our health service is a very simple five letters, SIPTU.

Simplistic .... there are huge vested interests in health. From consultants on gold plated salaries & conditions, insurance companies etc And also the fact that those with decision making powers, whether politicians, senion HSE staff or union bosses, all have private health insurance you can bet (in many cases paid for by the state!) so no incentive for them to make sure there is a properly functioning public health service. An awful lot of people who are doing very nicely out of the current mess and who are 100% opposed to any change ... and why wouldn't they.

I really don't know how it can be solved but kicking the lowest leg of the stool is just lazy and pointless.

• Advertisement

And John Fitzgerald will have his free travel pass by now as well, so it's even more comfortable for him to pontificate .I'd say he's raging he had to retire before the public service retirement age was raised to 70.

Callan57 wrote: »
    Simplistic .... there are huge vested interests in health. From consultants on gold plated salaries & conditions, insurance companies etc And also the fact that those with decision making powers, whether politicians, senion HSE staff or union bosses, all have private health insurance you can bet (in many cases paid for by the state!) so no incentive for them to make sure there is a properly functioning public health service. An awful lot of people who are doing very nicely out of the current mess and who are 100% opposed to any change ... and why wouldn't they.

I really don't know how it can be solved but kicking the lowest leg of the stool is just lazy and pointless.

why are there 200+ vacant 'gold- plated ' consultant posts at present so ?.

I might also ask why if the HSE Unions have created such a cushy number we have so many vacant nursing posts & are wasting money employing agency nurses while nurses we have paid to train are in Australia, New Zeland, US or Canada?

I see a youtube channel called Free Latifa has uploaded the interview with Princess Haya on the show yesterday.

I wonder has Mary Robinson contracted her services to any other families? Is this a new part of her business? A sort of A-Team for mental health.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭sideboard

So your informed conclusion was that the 'Unions' are to blame....have another go....and another....and... :confused:

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement