Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Marian Finucane

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

mikom wrote: »
    New series of "Dragons Den" on the way in a week or two.
    Incestuous RTE at its finest pressing the self-promotion button.

Didn't she get half a Sat show to herself while Marian was off ... a week or two ago?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

I expect an all out assault by the Yes team tomorrow

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭Rebelheart

At the end of today's show she thanked her researchers, naming two of them.

So €500,000 for Finucane being on air for about 150 hours per year, and no research to do before every show.

This is a great little country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Cardinal Richelieu

Rebelheart wrote: »

So €500,000 for Finucane being on air for about 150 hours per year, and no research to do before every show.

This is a great little country.

Just reading about her research technique below. I heard her in an interview last year saying it takes from Tuesday to prep her weekend show. Monday seems her day of rest!

Nov 2011 Irish Indo
    She said there were "endless hours of research" for her shows, which run from 11am until 1pm on Saturday and Sunday on RTE Radio 1.

"My radio goes on at seven o'clock in the morning and when I'm finished with Vincent Browne (on TV3 at night) I go on to the international channels. That is all part of what I do. I would think it was funny if it didn't make me cross, but I don't think anybody believes that (I only work four hours) anyway," said Ms Finucane.

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/marian-finucane-claims-i-get-500k-for-four-hours-a-week-are-baloney-2935687.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭GSF

Just reading about her research technique below. I heard her in an interview last year saying it takes from Tuesday to prep her weekend show. Monday seems her day of rest!

Nov 2011 Irish Indo

This feedback loop of talking heads watching the other talking heads all week is what makes for such a narrow set of opinions on RTE and other Irish stations

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,960 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

PaulieBoy wrote: »
    ...and has the cheek to blame the person who rang her!
    She probably thought everyone knew she had a cushy radio gig every Saturday morning ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Rebelheart wrote: »

I made this point a few weeks ago, Rebel.. Marian likes to make out that she studies the media all week and puts a 40 hour week in order to prepare for the Sat/Sun shows... The fact that she has TWO researchers completely debunks this self serving myth..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

I thought we'd never have to listen to Prick Roche's smug voice ever again after the people of Wicklow booted him out last year. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Wha wha what, ho howwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww etc.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,524 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

I finally caught up with the Nuala O'Faolain interview from a while back, it was powerful. I then had the misfortune to listen to a podcast or two from Feb 12th - Paul crime fighting 'I'm so un-PC' Williams was part of the panel.

I thought we'd never have to listen to Prick Roche's smug voice ever again after the people of Wicklow booted him out last year. :mad:

I missed the introductions this morning at the start of the show. I tuned in and was saying to myself "surely they cant have that fkn smug Roche on".. Same mealy mouthed crap that Michéal Martin was coming out with.. Roche preferred the route or blaming regulation.. Wasnt pointed out to him that Government sets the agenda for regulation..

Like I said on the other thread, it's very hard to take Michéal Martin's "apology" seriously when all of those who were leading the country at the time are still pulling yearly fortunes from the State.... Ahern, Roche himself, Charlie McCreevy, Hanafin, Coughlan, all pulling huge money from the State for their great working wrecking the country.. They are still enjoying the Celtic Tiger benefits that they brought in for themselves, while the rest of the country endures austerity.. hardly fair is it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭chimmy chonga

Again Marian felt it necessary to have that half-wit little Dick Roche on her talk show this morning. I can still remember the time little Dick was demoted by Bertie and Marian devoted practically a full show to him describing how sad and upsetting it must be for his wife and family. Again today when Marian read out a comment from a listener as to how Cowen et al received a standing ovation at the Ard Feis and how ironic that in another part of the RDS people were queuing to seek employment overseas, not once did she ask for a comment from the little Dick. Jaysus Vincent Brown would have torn him apart. Makes me wonder about sweet Marian's political bent.

He's one arrogant pain in the butt .... just listened to the podcast so glad I hadn't my Sunday morning spoiled by the painful prig.

Dick has no concept of his own incompetence. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭JoeGil

Caught most of this morning's program. Marion continues with her annoying habit of trying to force her own private views on the program. Ruins any potential for decent debate.

Interesting interview with Emily O'Reilly this morning

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,709 ✭✭✭Infoanon

Callan57 wrote: »
    Interesting interview with Emily O'Reilly this morning

Agree - it was pre recorded, perhaps that made for a better / more relaxed interview, Marion was listening to the answers Emily was giving as opposed to listing off non sequenced questions.

Not so sure about the rest of the show - Neven Maguire interview was confused and they ran short on time to do the full preview ot TV/Movies

Amazing Marion reads out a statement from Sean Gallagher but leaves out the all important line that SG calls for an independent inquiry !

The SG statement (ex call for independent inquiry) was read out after Pat Rabbitte had agreed with another contributor that the matter was closed and there was no need for an independent inquiry.

Pity for Marion that it was the lead story at noon.

A show with 5 guests - 3 of them linked to communications (Current and previous ministers) including an ex-RTE head Helen Shaw - was never going to make great radio.(Harry McGee & Micheal Soden where the other 2 guests)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

I'm surprised Marzie didn't keep her guests in the first hour on for a while longer.

We might have learnt how yer man's brother established world peace, discovered a cure for aids and conquered global poverty.

I admire the fact that he loved his brother but please explain how Ger bringing a sliotar up a mountain was a great historic moment for the GAA or flying from Alaska to see your county play in an All Ireland is an makes you a great Irishman.

I just don't understand the hero worship of those who climb up mountains or the celebration of those who lose their lives by falling off them.

Lapin wrote: »
    We might have learnt how yer man's brother established world peace, discovered a cure for aids and conquered global poverty.

haha.. harsh.. But I do agree that the thing about knocking the sliotar from the South Pole being "a great moment for the GAA" being an absolute loads of rubbish.. Found his story very confusing and meandering, you would have needed a sherpa to follow it..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,367 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Jesus was Marion on today ? She takes weeks off for no reason yet paddys day she works ? I suppose the old subs bench will be emptied monday for the bank holiday.

• Advertisement

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Jesus was Marion on today ? She takes weeks off for no reason yet paddys day she works ? I suppose the old subs bench will be emptied monday for the bank holiday.

It was a pathetic effort ... she'd have been as well off to have gone to the Parade :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

;) Does anyone think that Claire Byrne is smarter,quicker, better informed and more professional than maid Marion. ? I do and she doesn't have that fag wheeze on exerting her vocal range. I think its time MM hung up the spurs and went off to write a book for the next five years. ? Nothing personal, just glaringly obvious to me anyway.

recipio wrote: »
    ;)Does anyone think that Claire Byrne is smarter,quicker, better informed and more professional than maid Marion. ? I do and she doesn't have that fag wheeze on exerting her vocal range. I think its time MM hung up the spurs and went off to write a book for the next five years. ? Nothing personal, just glaringly obvious to me anyway.

I'd be greatly surprised if the answer to your Q isn't NO ... you really can't be serious Claire Byrne :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,367 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

;) Does anyone think that Claire Byrne is smarter,quicker, better informed and more professional than maid Marion. ?

No

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

;) Does anyone think that Claire Byrne is smarter,quicker, better informed and more professional than maid Marion. ? I do and she doesn't have that fag wheeze on exerting her vocal range. I think its time MM hung up the spurs and went off to write a book for the next five years. ? Nothing personal, just glaringly obvious to me anyway.
    Why should it be either/or?

I like both Claire Byrne's and Marian's interviewing techniques - sometimes interjectory, but never overtly expressing an opinion and leaving themselves out of the discussion. They have very similar styles, and are both well informed, smart women.

If we're picking presenters to knock off, then I'm afraid I'd put Derek Mooney and John Murray a lot higher on the list than Marian or Claire Byrne, who are easily two of the better presenters in RTE.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭Dirigent

"Was Enda very nervous"?

Made Marion never asked was Biffo very sober during his trips to the White House.

oh dear, sorry... but you mustnt have read the reams of stuff written about her performances on here.. She's a gorgeous looking girl, she should be on Expose or something lighter... NOT a political show..

slept it out today... was the show any good?

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Jane Eyre

oh dear, sorry... but you mustnt have read the reams of stuff written about her performances on here.. She's a gorgeous looking girl, she should be on Expose or something lighter... NOT a political show..

I don't even know where to start with this. Really? I mean, REALLY? Because she's good looking, stick her on a fluffy show? Sigh.

I prefer Marian to Clare in this slot but Clare is fantastic on Late Debate. They are both very accomplished broadcasters.

Jane Eyre wrote: »
    I don't even know where to start with this. Really? I mean, REALLY? Because she's good looking, stick her on a fluffy show? Sigh.

Well I was trying to be kind in accentuating her positives.. but if you want to force the issue... She is extremely poor at presenting the political stuff.. She doesnt have enough political knowledge, she doesnt ask the hard questions and the show is generally dull and boring when she is on it... I would put her on a par with Mary Wilson..

She doesnt have enough political knowledge,
    Do you really think so?

She's a former newsreader and her wiki page says she's been a news editor as well. She dealt with current affairs on Newstalk too. So she does have some current affairs capital behind her.

Most relevantly, she always asks questions on The Late Debate which go deeper than a prima facie appreciation of political events, to dig deeper into what is unsaid, or implicit. That is the mark of an excellent political affairs journalist, which I would consider Claire Byrne to be.

Another mark of a good presenter, once the above has been secured, is that he or she does not speak directly to the listener. And that again could be said for Byrne. I have been listening to her since she started with the Late Debate, and I still have no idea which way she votes.

I live in the UK, and the two radio shows I always try to catch are the News at One and Late Debate.

I find it a little sexist that this issue of Marian vs Claire Byrne has been raised in this way. Surely nobody seriously thinks they are anywhere near the bottom of the pile of RTE presenters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

later12 wrote: »
    Why should it be either/or?

I like both Claire Byrne's and Marian's interviewing techniques - sometimes interjectory, but never overtly expressing an opinion and leaving themselves out of the discussion. They have very similar styles, and are both well informed, smart women.

If we're picking presenters to knock off, then I'm afraid I'd put Derek Mooney and John Murray a lot higher on the list than Marian or Claire Byrne, who are easily two of the better presenters in RTE.

You do realise that being better at RTE is like QPR being better than Wigan?

I wish Finucane would show me this well informed nature of her personality more often, given she loves to overload on quotes from the Sunday papers in the discussions. Or why someone like Jim Power is the only economist worth his salt right now.
    Or the classic when she couldn't understand Ronan O'Gara and Jonny Sexton being on pitch at the same time during a rugby WC game, despite being 'knowldgeable' about her sports. :D

As for Byrne, she is pretty bland and harmless, but not quite the news heavyweight needed to take over from Marian.

I was out walking the beach in the sunshine this morning so only listening to this morning's prog now.

Very interesting discussion on the RTE blunders & Marian discussing the financial straights RTE is in ... wonder is she feeling the chill winds?
    Always enjoy the show when Michael Somers is on & Conor Brady always talks sense. Interesting point Conor made about where the impetus for all the Sindo non stories is coming from and why!
    Amazing we still have no idea why the blanket guarantee was given ... and we probably never will, well maybe when the 30 year state papers are released.
    :mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,364 ✭✭✭washiskin

As for Byrne, she is pretty bland and harmless, but not quite the news heavyweight needed to take over from Marian.

I thought Audrey Carville was better than all 3 (I'm including Mary Wilson) of them when she filled in - esp on Late Debate.

I was out walking the beach in the sunshine this morning so only listening to this morning's prog now.

Jaysus, we're gonna have to chip in and buy you one of these, Callan..

Walkman.jpg

That COOL one has MegaBass.. :pac:

Most relevantly, she always asks questions on The Late Debate which go deeper than a prima facie appreciation of political events, to dig deeper into what is unsaid, or implicit. That is the mark of an excellent political affairs journalist, which I would consider Claire Byrne to be.

Claire Byrne was particularly bad when filling in for Marian a few weeks ago,as for 'Late Debate' - no where near as good as the previous incumbrants, light weight political analysis - does not listen to her contributors - loses control of the 'debate' time and time again.

There are better presenters in RTE, Marians future replacement ? - Rachel English is the obvious choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Pintoplain

Rachel English: why, when ON the radio, does she emphasize the preposition IN every sentence?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

Do you really think so?

She's a former newsreader and her wiki page says she's been a news editor as well. She dealt with current affairs on Newstalk too. So she does have some current affairs capital behind her.

Another mark of a good presenter, once the above has been secured, is that he or she does not speak directly to the listener. And that again could be said for Byrne. I have been listening to her since she started with the Late Debate, and I still have no idea which way she votes.

I live in the UK, and the two radio shows I always try to catch are the News at One and Late Debate.

I find it a little sexist that this issue of Marian vs Claire Byrne has been raised in this way. Surely nobody seriously thinks they are anywhere near the bottom of the pile of RTE presenters.

A former newsreader? Sign her up so! An ability to read autocue is the prerquisite for any political journalist worth their salt.:rolleyes:
    Claire Byrne has been promoted beyond her competence as it is. I have stopped listening to the late debate thanks to her. She has no business being anywhere near serious journalism, despite what she may think of herself. By the way current affairs experience in Newstalk is nothing to be crowing about.

A former newsreader? Sign her up so!
    The suggestion was not that being a former newsreader qualifies her for this job.

My post was a reply to the suggestion that "she doesn't have enough political knowledge".

Being a former newsreader is just one of the roles in which I felt Byrne has been exposed to (and required to have an understanding of) politics. Quite frankly I don't think the criticism outlined is credible at all, given the fact that Byrne has worked in current affairs for some time now, including Late Debate. Whatever one thinks of her interviewing style, suggesting that she doesn't have political knowledge seems to me a little strange. Personally, I can't say it's something that I've ever felt about her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

The suggestion was not that being a former newsreader qualifies her for this job.

My post was a reply to the suggestion that "she doesn't have enough political knowledge".

Being a former newsreader is just one of the roles in which I felt Byrne has been exposed to (and required to have an understanding of) politics. Quite frankly I don't think the criticism outlined is credible at all, given the fact that Byrne has worked in current affairs for some time now, including Late Debate. Whatever one thinks of her interviewing style, suggesting that she doesn't have political knowledge seems to me a little strange. Personally, I can't say it's something that I've ever felt about her.

Hear Hear.
    I just feel that Byrne has done her research, having a good grasp of finance and politics. Finucane asks waffly questions which anybody could pick up from the morning paper.Her slow meandering drawl of a delivery drives me mad.!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭Rebelheart

I don't care if Jack the Ripper does this show, as long as it's for less than €100,000. Actually, €50,000 is more than enough in reality given that a teacher starts off on €27,000.

Finucane's €500,000 plus for 150 hours presenting is obscene.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,749 ✭✭✭✭grey_so_what

Anyone listening to Marian this morning?......She's on a fierce high horse...

I think we should give her more money..........LOL!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,730 ✭✭✭europa11

Anyone listening to Marian this morning?......She's on a fierce high horse...

I think we should give her more money..........LOL!

....and extra holidays :D

Heard the interview with Bertie's buddy the Burke guy ... absolutely no sense of right or wrong, truth or lie .... seriously amoral IMO
    As ever with FF anything goes as long as you get away with it ... the only crime is getting caught. :mad:

If Michaél Martin tries to get his mits on St Luke's I'd bet it ends up in the courts and maybe that will be how we find out what really went on in the Drumcondra Mafia club. Nothing like family falling outs to get the dirty washing on public view. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

Heard the interview with Bertie's buddy the Burke guy ... absolutely no sense of right or wrong, truth or lie .... seriously amoral IMO
    As ever with FF anything goes as long as you get away with it ... the only crime is getting caught. :mad:

If Michaél Martin tries to get his mits on St Luke's I'd bet it ends up in the courts and maybe that will be how we find out what really went on in the Drumcondra Mafia club. Nothing like family falling outs to get the dirty washing on public view. :)

Was it this Joe Burke?
    http://www.independent.ie/national-news/senator-to-stand-by-joe-burke-in-sex-claim-inquiry-1264543.html

and here

http://galwaytent.blogspot.com/2009/04/poolbeg-scheming-dublin-port-company.html

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Gergiev

Was it this Joe Burke?
    http://www.independent.ie/national-n...y-1264543.html

and here

http://galwaytent.blogspot.com/2009/...t-company.html

Yes, it's the same Joe Burke.

I used to wonder how Bertie perfected that particular and impenetrable Bertie-speak argot of his which he lapsed into on occasions - usually when his back was against the wall.

But having listened to Burke this morning, it seems this must be the Lingua Franca of the Drumcondra mafia.

Everytime he made a point that seemed to mean or imply one thing and Finucane then moved to pick him up on it, it turned out that he had just said the complete opposite to what anyone else would have understood by it.

It's all 'smoke and daggers' to the rest of us...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

Mary harneys hair do and blow job !

Ooh er missus

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Cardinal Richelieu

Does Gerald Kean specialize in free legal aid or something? He keeps saying he deals on a daily basis with ordinary people who can't afford to pay the household charge. I would have thought a consultation with him would cost more than the household charge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,134 ✭✭✭✭dvcireland

http://www.independent.ie/business/paper-prophet-gerald-kean-128396.html

Question asked of one of Keanes clients, who was caught speeding:

Q. "What gear where you in?"
    A. "I was wearing Armani trousers with a matching top."

"...no Joe, you rang me !..." A.Caller.

Jim Power says that he was invited to the St Patrick's Day event with Enda Kenny and Denis O'Brien.?????? I'm still SHOCKED that they still invite him in to RTE studios ffs...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭Suzie4

Jim Power says that he was invited to the St Patrick's Day event with Enda Kenny and Denis O'Brien.?????? I'm still SHOCKED that they still invite him in to RTE studios ffs...

Gerald keane complaining about the publicity "mary harneys blow job got down in florida"....really did shock me to be honest..

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement