Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Marian Finucane

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭chimmy chonga

Mary harneys hair do and blow job !

Ooh er missus

:)

:)[/QUOTE]
    Just a slip of the tounge...;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

Suzie4 wrote: »

Gerald keane complaining about the publicity "mary harneys blow job got down in florida"....really did shock me to be honest..

Will we get a statement from Harney tomorrow? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭delaad

Will we get a statement from Harney tomorrow? :p

Loved the po-voiced correction of his faux pas....

"That was a blow-dry...", (probably) Marion

"0h, yes, yes!", the admonished Keane

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

Suzie4 wrote: »

Gerald keane complaining about the publicity "mary harneys blow job got down in florida"....really did shock me to be honest..

Gerald might need to get himself a good lawyer ;):D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

Mary O'Rourke & her background giggling was positively nauseating this morning ... the arrogance pontificating from the high moral ground of her 3 or 4 bloated pensions just makes me sick ...... and then she makes a complete fool of herself with a silly story about tapes which Dan O'Brien blew out of the water in 10 seconds .... silly, silly woman :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

I was listening to Lyric then I switched Marian's programme on and switched it off almost immediately. It was when I heard Brendan Keenan's voice and then Mary O'Rourke. Keenan, a bluffer who is totally discredited as any kind of analyst and should not be given a platform never mind a salary.
    As for Mary O'Rourke, in a week where Eircom went in to examinership as a result of asset stripping and over- leveraging thanks in no small way to her part in overseeing its flotation in the first place.
    Neither of these thicks I'm sure got much of a grilling on their past, yet these people and people like them are invited back on to radio programmes week after week. I refuse to listen to this cartel of bluffers and chancers anymore.
    Here's the bold Brendan giving us the benefit of his wisdom: I'm sure lots of you have seen it before but no harm putting it up anyway.

Callan57 wrote: »
    Mary O'Rourke & her background giggling was positively nauseating this morning ... the arrogance pontificating from the high moral ground of her 3 or 4 bloated pensions just makes me sick ...... and then she makes a complete fool of herself with a silly story about tapes which Dan O'Brien blew out of the water in 10 seconds .... silly, silly woman :mad:

She's a failed politician who represents a failed party. It's about time that RTE finally put her out to grass and stopped inviting her on panel discussion programmes. Her take on her handling of the Eircom fiasco was breathtakingly arrogant. She seems to think she did a great job of the floatation, when it should never have been sold off in the first place. Those Fianna Fail fúckers are living in a constant state of denial about the irreprable damage they've done to this country. :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 534 ✭✭✭PaulieBoy

She's a failed politician
    Failed? How to you figure that out exactly ??? She has been in politics all her working life has more pensions than you and I put together will ever have...
    Failed? Quite successful I would contend...

PaulieBoy wrote: »
    Failed? How to you figure that out exactly ??? She has been in politics all her working life has more pensions than you and I put together will ever have...

Absolutely.... if blatant self interest is the criteria she has definitely been a success at that. :mad:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭Rebelheart

I was listening to Lyric then I switched Marian's programme on and switched it off almost immediately. It was when I heard Brendan Keenan's voice and then Mary O'Rourke. Keenan, a bluffer who is totally discredited as any kind of analyst and should not be given a platform never mind a salary.
    As for Mary O'Rourke, in a week where Eircom went in to examinership as a result of asset stripping and over- leveraging thanks in no small way to her part in overseeing its flotation in the first place.
    Neither of these thicks I'm sure got much of a grilling on their past, yet these people and people like them are invited back on to radio programmes week after week. I refuse to listen to this cartel of bluffers and chancers anymore.
    Here's the bold Brendan giving us the benefit of his wisdom: I'm sure lots of you have seen it before but no harm putting it up anyway.

Signed in to thank this. Didn't know that about Kennan - but I'm so hostile to Independent Newspapers I'd never have been positive towards the guy. Now, I'm certainly not!

Finucane's a joke, no matter how much she is paid. The fact that she puts the same discredited lugs on each week says much about her own self-perception.

Mary "treason" O'Rourke - for fúck sake. Stomach turning that she gets paid by Irish taxpayers, through RTÉ, for her appearances on such shows. Another reason to get rid of Finucane.

• Advertisement

I see this week that Noel Curran, the head of RTÉ, is proposing to knock 30% off the fees these "stars" are paid. So Finucane will now only get €350,000 plus for her 150 hours presenting a year. That's still about 13 teachers/nurses for Irish society for Finucane's salary alone.

Cutbacks, RTÉ style. Pass the bucket.

There is no rational reason why a single RTÉ presenter should be earning more than €100,000. None. Can anybody think of one? If they're worth more, let the market decide and I'm sure the BBC and CNN will snap them up straight away. :rolleyes:

PaulieBoy wrote: »

Failed from the point of view that she was never anything but an out and out spoofer. Yet another person who got into Leinster House on the family coat tails, and yet another school teacher. Christ, no wonder we're in the shyte, given how many school teachers have had the reins of power over the years.

I don't measure success in financial terms. Just because Mammy O'Rourke has "more pensions than you and I put together" does not make her a success, particularly when it was primarily her very party who saw to it that the taxpayer would be plundered and pillaged by the granting of excessively obscene pensions for just a few years "work" by TDs and ministers.

She was part of a political party who were far more interested in self-gain ansd self-promotion than they ever were in the economic and social advancement of this country. If that makes her a "success", then I'm glad that her party is fúcking well dead and buried at the moment.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Any excuse to get wee Daniel on the radio.

I'm not quite sure what his mate is flogging, (sounds like an exhibition of 'celebrity' stuff) but its nice to have friends who know people getting paid half a million a year to plug your business on live radio.

All very cosy. Especially the subtle way he (Pat) keeps interrupting wee Daniel to point out yet another feature of the exhibition.

Although it makes a pleasant change from listening to the whinging and moaning of a lot of Donegal people on the air lately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,367 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Jesus wee Daniel bleeting on about feck all and now some priest.

Ronan mullen and now this priest have referred to rte as a house. Why ?

Interesting point of view on homosexuality from a catholic priest, not from the old handbook.

Marian has just gone and spoiled Easter by inviting these killjoys on to tell us how many calories there are in Easter Eggs.

What a pair of morbid fúckers. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭Dirigent

Lapin wrote: »
    Marian has just gone and spoiled Easter by inviting these killjoys on to tell us how many calories there are in Easter Eggs.

What a pair of morbid fúckers. :mad:

On a scale from the normal banal to the exceptionally awful, today's show is out of the ballpark entirely. From Wee Daniel promoting his home village, a priest waffling on about miracles, the amount of butter in chocolate, a dancing welder on about the Titanic, can it possibly get worse?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Dirigent wrote: »
    On a scale from the normal banal to the exceptionally awful, today's show is out of the ballpark entirely. From Wee Daniel promoting his home village, a priest waffling on about miracles, the amount of butter in chocolate, a dancing welder on about the Titanic, can it possibly get worse?

Then avoid at all costs tonights Saturday night show
    Guests:

Elev 8 presenter Diana Bunici and her mother on returning to her village in Moldova and meeting family and friends after 10 Years.

Brendan meets Winning Streak presenters Marty Whelan and Geri Maye.

And John Murray & Miriam Donohue give the inside track on China.

A cavalcade of guests roped in from the RTE canteen.
    Exceptionally awful doesn't even begin to describe it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Dirigent wrote: »
    e, a dancing welder on about the Titanic, can it possibly get worse?

If I hadnt heard that it was the guy Len from strictly, I would have been thinking Dick Van Dyke..

When Marian said "Earlier we did an interview with Len from Strictly Come Dancing... from LA"... I was thinking "which one of ye?"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭RadioRetro

Christ that Sat Show line-up is piss poor. I could do better if I had a show on a local radio station, never mind a national TV broadcaster, than that pile of steaming ordure.

I actually enjoyed that interview with Fr. Colm Kilcoyne .... I haven't been to Knock for years, not since I was dragged there as a child by my mother, might actually pay it a visit this summer.

Listening to Fr Kilcoyne I was struck by the difference in tone, the sympathy and empathy of the man & the gentleness of his tone and the hectoring "this is the rule book & if you don't like it get out" attitude of fundamentalists like Ronan Mullan & Patricia Casey earlier in the week .... I would like to know by what right they think they can dictate who is or is not a Catholic, they should bear in mind that thankfully it is not their Church, it is not even the Pope's Church.

What a great start to today's show: a boat race between Oxford and Cambridge is deemed to be worthy of mentioning as a news headline on an Irish station. :confused:

Now, for the rest of the show basically being an advertisement for that unspeakably horrendous O'Reilly rag, The Sunday Independent, and wannabe super cool mentions of soccer and rugby, like.

Well done Ms "€500k for 150 hours presenting" Finucane.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I presume the point of interest was the protester who could have lost his head not the race itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,266 ✭✭✭mattser

Apparently there's a picture of P. Flynn sunning himself in Spain in one of todays papers. Ms. Finucane says of the journo/photographer " Nice work if you can get it ".

I KID YOU NOT

What a fcuking cheek.

• Advertisement

Which member of the panel said he feels sorry for Bertie and P Flynn because of the photographers, and went on to describe them as fugitaves in the victimised sense of the word ?

I was too busy choking on my cornflakes to catch his name.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,568 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

mattser wrote: »
    Apparently there's a picture of P. Flynn sunning himself in Spain in one of todays papers. Ms. Finucane says of the journo/photographer " Nice work if you can get it ".

I KID YOU NOT

What a fcuking cheek.

I think she was probably referring to the journalist who got to doorstep P Flynn wherever he's sunning himself.

Slightly O/T - I really enjoy these threads discussing/critiquing radio programmes, and reading others' takes on the various issues - but the level of bitching and vitriol about MF and her earnings/hours is really offputting (and frankly boring at this stage, and I'm not even reading this thread that long). To the point where the first post this morning prompted me to groan "oh, change the bloody record".

I'm almost at the point of clicking "unfollow thread" - I realise that no-one on here will either notice or care :D, but I just thought I'd make the point.

Doh - just realised I completely crossed wires regarding the P Flynn comment above - renders that comment irrelevant - apologies! Not enough caffeine yet is my excuse

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Jesus, stop stabbing the desk with your finger!

Joe McKeever just used the expression "uisce faoi thalamh". What a lovely turn of phrase; haven't heard it used on the radio when speaking English in a while.

mike65 wrote: »

Agreed! I thought McCarthy was just doing it for effect the first time but he's doing it all the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,266 ✭✭✭mattser

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    I think she was probably referring to the journalist who got to doorstep P Flynn wherever he's sunning himself.

Slightly O/T - I really enjoy these threads discussing/critiquing radio programmes, and reading others' takes on the various issues - but the level of bitching and vitriol about MF and her earnings/hours is really offputting (and frankly boring at this stage, and I'm not even reading this thread that long). To the point where the first post this morning prompted me to groan "oh, change the bloody record".

I'm almost at the point of clicking "unfollow thread" - I realise that no-one on here will either notice or care :D, but I just thought I'd make the point.
    Of course she was referring to the journalist. Isn't that what I said ?. I have no great problem with MF as a person, but it's this sort of two faced arrogance that gets my wick. I have more of a problem with the employer in D4 than with the employees.
    Now, go to unfollow if that's your choice.
    Just like me you and everyone else here, most people don't bother or care.
    Just don't take it personal. Happy Easter .:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,568 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

mattser wrote: »
    Of course she was referring to the journalist. Isn't that what I said ?. I have no great problem with MF as a person, but it's this sort of two faced arrogance that gets my wick. I have more of a problem with the employer in D4 than with the employees.
    Now, go to unfollow if that's your choice.
    Just like me you and everyone else here, most people don't bother or care.
    Just don't take it personal. Happy Easter .:)

Oh I won't, don't worry :cool:

I corrected my mistake - not quite up to speed yet this morning :D

Haven't unfollowed yet, just wanted to make the point that the repetitive, same old bitch again and again and again takes (IMO) from discussion of what's actually on the programme. That's all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭Dirigent

Can David Quinn remember anything?

Lapin wrote: »
    Which member of the panel said he feels sorry for Bertie and P Flynn because of the photographers, and went on to describe them as fugitaves in the victimised sense of the word ?

I was too busy choking on my cornflakes to catch his name.

Yeah,I heard that too. Who was it?

Rebelheart wrote: »
    What a great start to today's show: a boat race between Oxford and Cambridge is deemed to be worthy of mentioning as a news headline on an Irish station. :confused:

You're being a bit petty there now.

You make it sound like a group of students turned up at a riverbank yesterday and decided to take each other on in the spur of the moment.

Rather than acknowledging the fact that The annual Oxford Cambridge boat race is the most famous rowing event in the world with over 150 years of history behind it, attracting a riverside audience of over quarter of a million and a global tv audience of millions.

There is no denying its popularity and, the various events surrounding yesterday's race merit its place on the front pages, and in turn, Marian's programme this morning.

In any case. it only got the briefest of mentions and didn't detract from any of the other headlines this morning, including our daily spoonfuls of doom and gloom.

Methinks you doth protest a tad too much.

mike65 wrote: »

Thank God I thought it was my radio ... it sounded more like thumping than stabbing to me ... very annoying :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

gotta great laugh out of marions outright refusal to get involved in the discussion about why RTE needs to be state controled at all.

two guesses why !

:)

in fairness though it was a good discussion and you could practically feel the uncomfortableness of certain people with aspects of it.

probably one of the better shows she's done in a good while.

Who is the woman who does the TV previews on the show? She's on right now. I find her incredibly annoying and culturally unaware.
    Where do they get these people from?

edit; Natasha Fennell is her name. PR flunky,Fianna Failer and all round bul****ter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Something just seems odd about that Dwyer case... Cant believe the family didnt get in contact with the other Irish security guys who were out there..

Who is the woman who does the TV previews on the show? She's on right now. I find her incredibly annoying and culturally unaware.
    Where do they get these people from?

edit; Natasha Fennell is her name. PR flunky,Fianna Failer and all round bul****ter.

She is incredibly annoying & keeps interrupting :(

The Dwyer chap seems to me to have been, at the least, very, very naive ... he hadn't a word of Spanish so really he had no idea what he was involved in or who he was involved with! Fairly irrelevant what his mates in Tipperary thought of him .. it's the guys he was in South America with they should be talking to. Why didn't they stay on with him? Did they have suspicions about what was going on?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭newcavanman

Todays show was just pure ****e , as usual . The only thing that makes me listen is the complete absence of an alternative at this time on a saturday . The dwyer interview was poorly done, but the ultimate must have been the interview with the lad from Donedeal . It was as if they brought someone from the 1930s who would just have been stunned that perople would use these high tech machines, to look at when they were thinking of buying a car. Unbelieveable, why in my day we were just glad to have a push bike. Just imagine, people buying cars. My father, who is 78, uses donedeal, in fact i hardly know a person who has nt looked at it at one time or other .
    Please get rid of this woman and her €500,000 salary . Both of them are a national disgrace !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭mbur

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Oh I won't, don't worry :cool:

I corrected my mistake - not quite up to speed yet this morning :D

Haven't unfollowed yet, just wanted to make the point that the repetitive, same old bitch again and again and again takes (IMO) from discussion of what's actually on the programme. That's all.
    Tired of the Marian bashers? Then come over to the Anti-Marty mob. Far more eloquent, erutite and reasoned...:cool:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭my friend

Todays show was just pure ****e , as usual . The only thing that makes me listen is the complete absence of an alternative at this time on a saturday . The dwyer interview was poorly done, but the ultimate must have been the interview with the lad from Donedeal . It was as if they brought someone from the 1930s who would just have been stunned that perople would use these high tech machines, to look at when they were thinking of buying a car. Unbelieveable, why in my day we were just glad to have a push bike. Just imagine, people buying cars. My father, who is 78, uses donedeal, in fact i hardly know a person who has nt looked at it at one time or other .
    Please get rid of this woman and her €500,000 salary . Both of them are a national disgrace !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Am going to listen to the podcast based on your excellent synopsis and analogy

On a side, DoneDeal is the phenom that's getting alot of Luddites to pick up a mouse ....

I love the way they know how to communicate with Irish People, 'don't use Capital letters, it makes it difficult for others to read' !!!!!

I wish donedeal further and massive success , I wish Marion would leave.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭EchoO

Good to hear Aine Lawlor back on the radio today. All things going well, she should be returning to Morning Ireland in the summer.

I was a tad bemused listening to Prof John McHale ... he didn't seem to be too clear on what exactly this Fiscal Advisory Council's purpose is or what exactly it's going to do.
    Sounds remarkably like just another quango to me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭serfboard

mbur wrote: »
    Tired of the Marian bashers? Then come over to the Anti-Marty mob. Far more eloquent, erutite and reasoned...:cool:

But obviously not better spellers though!

Dying with hangover so what better way to cure it then to listen to young Marian.

Is Brian darcy allowed on the radio ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,739 ✭✭✭sudzs

More bloody religion now.... :rolleyes:

I'm back in Ireland for a bit after years living in UK and Australia and I can't believe how much religious dross is on RTE.

...editing to say that it is catholic religious dross we get, there's rarely a mention of any of the others.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,749 ✭✭✭✭grey_so_what

Am I hearing right here...

There is a woman (annoying voice alert) on National Radio calling MF whinging about the fact she can't go "walkabout" in the White House so now wants to know what are the best restaurants to go to.....

The RTE world has truly lost the plot.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement