Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Marian Finucane

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,730 ✭✭✭europa11

Is the Maid back tomorrow?, or, to combat the exhaustion brought on by her workload, has the annual migration to La Bella Italia commenced?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭my friend

europa11 wrote: »
    Is the Maid back tomorrow?, or, to combat the exhaustion brought on by her workload, has the annual migration to La Bella Italia commenced?

why you ingrate!

cough, cough, splutter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

europa11 wrote: »

Heard ad for the show tom mention that Cliaire Byrne would be filling in for her

honeybear wrote: »
    Heard ad for the show tom mention that Cliaire Byrne would be filling in for her

I thought that was Nuala O'Faolain's party piece ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Claire Byrne...is alone.....possibly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,739 ✭✭✭sudzs

mike65 wrote: »
    Claire Byrne...is alone.....possibly.

Unfortunately not. There's someone on with her now who is equally, if not more dull. :(

when I turned on she was reading out the papers and no one chipped in or even seemed to be breathing, I was wondering if anyone else had bothered themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭Paddy De Plasterer

Finucane of 570k pa scandalous salary is probably gone off on her summer break May - September. Or perhaps like the Royal family she is abroad on some charity, like landmines, or animal rights.
    When will we tackle the scandal of her salary ? She earns more than the President and Taoiseach put together, how then can she question high salaries in public service ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,566 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

when I turned on she was reading out the papers and no one chipped in or even seemed to be breathing, I was wondering if anyone else had bothered themselves.

It's Sunday that they have the panel on to discuss. Saturday is just a read-through of some headlines.

Seán O'Sullivan has possibly the most boring voice ever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

Finucane of 570k pa scandalous salary is probably gone off on her summer break May - September. Or perhaps like the Royal family she is abroad on some charity, like landmines, or animal rights.
    When will we tackle the scandal of her salary ? She earns more than the President and Taoiseach put together, how then can she question high salaries in public service ?

Simple she doesn't. She studiously avoids asking those questions as do most presenters in RTE.

As for Claire Byrne, who decided that this dimwit was suitable to present her own show? She also bizarrely has the Late Debate!She just does not have the ability or knowledge to even know what questions to ask.
    Marian for all her faults(and she has many) has a lot more depth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

I think Claire is doing a good job today.. She went through the papers quickly and clearly.. and the interview with Seorsaigh Ó Séalacáán was good enough as well.. I think she was a bit unsure what to do when he started getting a bit emotional.. her only response was to fire more questions at him.. If she could only inject some enthusiasm and excitement in to her voice, she'd suffice...

more free publicity for the jedward of chefs, Neven Maguire, discussing a pisstake of an award that somehow we are supposed to be impressed by

I think Claire is doing a good job today.. She went through the papers quickly and clearly.. and the interview with Seorsaigh Ó Séalacáán was good enough as well.. I think she was a bit unsure what to do when he started getting a bit emotional.. her only response was to fire more questions at him.. If she could only inject some enthusiasm and excitement in to her voice, she'd suffice...

the more he spoke the more he fitted the profile of a CIA operative.... he must not have been 'debriefed' successfully

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,134 ✭✭✭✭dvcireland

there was one of these "Guardians" on Mooney the other day, she looks after Abbeville i.e. The Former Haughey home

Interviewer: "so how did you get the role"

Guardian: "oh, I just heard about it on the radio"

Later on in interview:

"....oh well both my parents were life long Fianna Fail supporters....."

".....oh I think Margaret Thatcher had dinner here once....." (the Haughey family deny this)

"...no Joe, you rang me !..." A.Caller.

That Zurich ad makes me want to put my fist through the wall:mad::mad::mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

That Zurich ad makes me want to put my fist through the wall:mad::mad::mad:

The one that really really annoys me is the Blackrock Clinic one ... "initial consultation ONLY EUR120 and "in an emergency we're there 9-6 Mon to Sat" ... if you have an emergency outside those times you're on you own
    :eek:

Thought Sean O'Sullivan was quite interesting this am ... he can't help having a laid back voice & a few times I thought he'd actually left the studio. But Claire is not the person to interview him. She has absolutely no empathy with any guest, just a list of questions and reads them out one after the other there is no sense of being engaged in a two-way conversation .... whatever we say about Marian she does engage with her guests & gets the very best out of them.

It's a bit bloody much taking off for the Summer in early May though ..... clearly there is no recession for some people ....

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭IRISHREDSTAR

dvcireland wrote: »
    there was one of these "Guardians" on Mooney the other day, she looks after Abbeville i.e. The Former Haughey home

Interviewer: "so how did you get the role"

Guardian: "oh, I just heard about it on the radio"

Later on in interview:

"....oh well both my parents were life long Fianna Fail supporters....."

".....oh I think Margaret Thatcher had dinner here once....." (the Haughey family deny this)

That girl got it wrong that was not Mararget Thatcher it was Ben Dum and how could anybody get Terry Keane mixed up with colonel gaddafi I know they looked alike but he had a accent the again maybe gaddafi was there and haughey mixed him up with terry keane
    and gave him one. anyway Marg thatcher would only have been there to sell guns and was not sleeping with haughey everybody knows that was Keane/gaddafi job. And that is why Bertie left his wife to go out with dustin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Why is Nora on again?

Ganley is in fine form

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭Paddy De Plasterer

Any word From Finucane. Maybe her cough or the fags have got to her. When will RTE cut her salary to her true worth - about 50k-80k a year ? Its our money you know.

Andy Storey complains about how it was the private business who caused the crash and not the public sector... I didnt hear him complaining when that private business money earned from property was being shovelled in to his bank account during the rounds of pay increases that accompanied the building boom.

And once again we are lectured to by an academic about how if we didnt pay off the bondholders there would be money for hospitals, community schemes etc etc.. Those in the upper levels academia should look at a bit closer to home when they are analysing the Government wasting money..

Also, it still baffles me how there is there perception that we are the "good boys" of Europe.... No mandatory redundancies in the public sector, no significant cuts in the public pay bill, no significant cuts to the social welfare bill... :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

ill be honest thats one of the things that pisses me off about the whole affair.

its not public vs private.

the big lads of BOTH were all to blame.

this countrys been ran by a triumverate of big business, big union and big politics since the ninties

its called social partnership.

FF? FG? LAB?

Doesnt fecking matter -they all were in bed with that and spend the guts of two decades diving up the public purse amongst themselves. the private lads got de regulation and tax breaks, while the public sector got pay rises on the back of the ponzi scheme tax takes, and finally the high level CS decided the wages of the politicans - which shock horror went up in tandem with the CS wages.

whole thing was a self sustaining con job that WE fecking paid for.

one of the only GOOD things to come from this crisis is to see that toxic bollocks get a kick up the hole. theyve still got the croke park stroke but theres no way thatll last.

the politicans got the sack, 350k of the private sector lads got fecked on the dole, theres only ONE group left and their gonna get it in the neck probably in the next 3 years or so.

Was I still asleep this morning or did I hear Claire Byrne on Morning Ireland?

.......... and it's definitely not April 1st :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭jimmyw

Callan57 wrote: »
    Was I still asleep this morning or did I hear Claire Byrne on Morning Ireland?

.......... and it's definitely not April 1st :eek:

I read on (on line) indo today that she said she would love to be on it permanent.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Gergiev

Any word From Finucane. Maybe her cough or the fags have got to her. When will RTE cut her salary to her true worth - about 50k-80k a year ? Its our money you know.

Good point, Paddy.

I reckon to earn that kind of money on Newstalk, for example, she would have to present a daily show for around 46 weeks a year.

And to earn in excess of 6 figures out here in the real world, she would probably have to do at least one night-time 'nixer' on TV3.

But adding these 2 together, it still wouldn't approach half of her current income from RTE.

To add insult to injury is the Tubridy situation where RT migrates to the BBC for the summer, courtesy of the Irish taxpayer.

Not only are we paying beyond 'top dollar' for these so-called 'stars' but the ridiculous 'holiday entitlements' are another direct subsidy to these elite broadcasters.

There's no plausible reason why they get extended vacation breaks on top of the outrageous money already conceded...

jimmyw wrote: »
    I read on (on line) indo today that she said she would love to be on it permanent.

Oh Good Lord ..... hurry back Áine :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

The ambitious little madam has her foot in the door now.
    There will be no stopping her.

I did notice that McCoilla has been taking the more important topics.

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭bureau2009

padd b1975 wrote: »
    The ambitious little madam has her foot in the door now.

There will be no stopping her.

I did notice that McCoilla has been taking the more important topics.
    Unfortunately for the population of Ireland.

And I too noticed that McCoille was dealing with the more complex topics. I heard him interview Will Hutton yesterday - the mind boggles and cringes at the thought of Ms Byrne interviewing him :mad: :mad: :mad:

The 'Made' (sic) is back...

her attempt to re-frame the facts surrounding FF continue

she is, this morning, working on the Canonisation of CJH

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭Dirigent

For Fred Forsey corruption has had it's consequences. Not so for the Haughey clan.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Strange interview.
    They're talking about Maureen Haughey as though she were dead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,266 ✭✭✭mattser

Haugheys....Fianna Fail. Lyric FM it is, so. CLICK.

mattser wrote: »
    Haugheys....Fianna Fail. Lyric FM it is, so. CLICK.
    Already done. The George Bloody Hamiltons Opinionated Lollipop Show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭GSF

Why is this stuttering weasel a guest on the show? Is he flogging something? Other than his dy- nasty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

Is Marian only going to read out favourable texts?

Also Lemass was not as squeaky clean as seems to be accepted without question.

She brushed over the fact that the family benefitted from the sale of the house.
    Sean Haughey is a millionaire thanks to his Daddy's corruption.

Are my ears mistuned, or did he really say "What's ten million between friends?"

Is Marian only going to read out favourable texts?

Also Lemaas was not as squeaky clean as seems to be accepted without question.

She brushed over the fact that the family benefitted from the sale of the house.
    Sean Haughey is a millionaire thanks to his Daddy's corruption.

the 'Made' continues to be a disgrace...

she read NO negative texts, merely referred to the fact that there were some negative comments

and yes she allowed 'the Eunuch' Haughey to weasel away from the truth re the proceeds from Abbeyville

• Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭telekon

Dirigent wrote: »
    Are my ears mistuned, or did he really say "What's ten million between friends?"

Yeah, I heard that alright.

Marion responds "sure, we only deal in billions these days..."

Listening to a couple of millionaires chatting away on a Saturday morning does not make for a good start to the weekend. :mad:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Couldn't help doing this :rolleyes: at Marian's veiled tut tutting about David Cameron's decision to lighten his workload at weekends.

True he is the Prime Minister of one of the worlds most influential countries and she is a mere radio presenter, (albeit on 3 times his salary), but he's also human and has a young family.

I'm not his biggest fan but I say fair play to him for taking Sundays off.

Marian Finnucane is the last person on this earth to be making frivolous comments about others taking a day off.

Out the door at 7 minutes to 1pm, another 5 grand in the handbag.. I just hope "driver" isnt late..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

Didn't hear Marian today (on purpose), but I take it Seanie Haughey was never even considering apologising to the nation for his Dad's, and his sons/daughters, suspiciously lavish lifestyle?

The fact that he isn't able to six years after his Dad's death, means there must be a strong element of 'like father like son' here.

...Marian cuts short her broadcasting career every year!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Defiler Of The Coffin

Which panellists did Marian have on this morning?

Edit: Thanks mike!

She has some old woman called Marian on...

Well arent you being very sarcastic and pedantic Mike... *said in Marian Finucane - esque high pitched tone*

Guests today... Lucinda Creighton, John Mullins CEO Bord Gais, Ulick McEvaddy, Gavin Titley, Cormac Lucey

Gary O'Toole is a hero.. He gave up his own chances at success to help the victims. When you think of what's happened in recent years in this country, i.e. people lining their own pockets to the detriment of the country.. it's refreshing to hear somebody that is a patriot....

And Marion is sounding more and more like
    Deirdre_barlow_2009.jpg

Deirdre Barlow..

• Advertisement

Great interview with Garry O'Toole .... what a great man!
    Isn't it amazing how a nine year old boy knew what abuse was and adult, educated men still insist they had no idea. Shades of "none so blind as those who will not see". :mad:
    Well done Garry, our loss that we haven't more like you.

Marian getting on her high horse over gym fees ... I doubt there's any gym charging a fee that would put a dent in Marians bank a/c. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Gergiev

I think we we take it as a given that RTE's propaganda onslaught to justify selecting the mediocre Jedward again for this year's Eurovision will begin with Marion tomorrow morning...

Oh ****s sake, did I hear Booby Ballagh get a name check?

Oh ****s sake, did I hear Booby Ballagh get a name check?

poor old Booby Ballagh, life has been rough since FF stopped gifting him handy commisions, thankfully he still has the tax breaks that helped keep the 'artists' onside as FF stole the coffers

You'd have to laugh at "Bobby" Ballagh.. "Only country in Europe without a National Ballet Company. Only country in Europe without a National Opera"

Half of the young generation is leaving the country... Who does Ballagh think is gonna be around to look at these things??

And when Diarmuid Ferriter is making his grand gesture of resigning from the board of The National Library, he should at least tell us what a University History Professor earns in Ireland, in comparison with the countries that he deems as giving adequate resources to their national library..

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement