Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Marian Finucane

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

He's just scared for his publicly funded income. Some things we can live without even within the context of state funded arts - ballet and opera are two of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

oh forgot to say... Very good show today, always interested to hear what McWilliams and Colm McCarthy have to say.. Two of the straightest economic talkers.. And it was important that both of them were in studio to prevent Ballagh carrying out his little pre-referendum propaganda coup..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

Tommie Gorman was terrible. Does he realise you should not editorialise during an ongoing trial?

Thought at the outset, that it was a bad idea to send him out there - rather than send a regular courts reporter - and I have been proven right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭EchoO

He was annoying me too. Way to much emoting and not enough reporting.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

EchoO wrote: »
    He was annoying me too. Way to much emoting and not enough reporting.

It has echoes of the Maddie McCann investigation, where a lot of the media chose to blame the 'foreigners' for so much. Anyway, for the Harte family's sake, I hope the right outcome is reached.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

Tommie Gorman was terrible. Does he realise you should not editorialise during an ongoing trial?

Thought at the outset, that it was a bad idea to send him out there - rather than send a regular courts reporter - and I have been proven right.

That ding dong about the mystery book was so stupid .... either name the dam book or shut up about it. Tommie makes a mountain out of a mole hill .. shades of the Roy Keane interview .... park the emotion Tommy and just report.

Colm McCarthy fairly buried Ballagh & his ballet .... Leo did a good job too

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭Fulton Crown

[QUOTE=Gergiev;7870126
    There's no plausible reason why they get extended vacation breaks on top of the outrageous money already conceded...[/QUOTE]

I'll say it again Buddy ...RTE management are an inept time serving bunch of goons.

far easier for them to acceed to outrageous salary demands from their so called "Stars" that call these z listers bluff and negotiate realistic wedges for The Plank / Dufficer/The Maid /Mooney etc.

It's the public service way of doing things pal...lazyness, incompetence and lack of accountability are everywhere.....everywhere .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭jimmyw

I don't know what's going on with the podcasts of her show.I am trying to locate the one with Gary O Toole which was on Saturday, but its not there.All others are there.

Are they afraid because of the content of it to be available?

See...... ???:confused:

http://www.rte.ie/radio1/podcast/podcast_marianfinucane.xml

jimmyw wrote: »
    Are they afraid because of the content of it to be available? See...... ???:confused:

Hi Jimmy, I looked up the podcasts earlier and they had uploaded today's episode, but not yesterday's... Bear in mind that Michelle Smith called in to the show (off air) to "correct" Gary O'Toole with regard to his recollection of a chance meeting they had a few months before the Atlanta games... Gary said that he met her in the lead up to the games and had said to her "be careful".. Council for Michelle Smith (the Barrister Michelle Smith :pac: ) disputes this fact, and is adamant that such a meeting never took place..

Michelle is also adamant that she did not take drugs during the Atlanta Olympics, Cian O'Connor's horse never had a drug problem, Pigs DO fly, and that black is in fact white..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭Oracle

You might have a point. I heard him on the News at One giving a verbatim account of one witnesses testimony. Gorman reported that the witness said " .... he heard the sound of a woman crying out "Ah... ah ... ah!" I could have done without hearing Gorman sounding like he's having an orgasm. It would have been enough to say the witness gave testimony of hearing the sound of a woman crying out.

• Advertisement

You saying there may be a legal case pending Jon ? Could be,otherwise it does seem odd that its not up there.

You saying there may be a legal case pending Jon ? Could be,otherwise it does seem odd that its not up there.

Nah I wouldnt think so.. There really wasnt anything controversial said... The fact that she would only ring in to contradict the fact she met him on a particular occasion (i.e. and not to contradict any more serious accusations), should give you an indication of that... But I have seen RTE hold off on posting certain podcasts, which then appear for download at a later date, presumably giving their legal team enough time to listen back to the show.

Yeah, must be something like that.I suppose given the recent issue with the Father Reynolds case, they are probably been even extra careful I suppose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭donaghs

Is Marian on her Grand Vacances already? When's she due back? September!? :D

Is she on holidays now? I didnt hear her mention it...

Jimmy, that podcast of the Gary O'Toole interview is up now.. Just downloading now, gonna get a listen to the full thing..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭EchoO

Yeah, must be something like that.I suppose given the recent issue with the Father Reynolds case, they are probably been even extra careful I suppose.

They were a bit slow off the mark though, I heard it on the Saturday night repeat. Saturday's show is actually Sunday's on the RTE player.

http://www.rte.ie/radio1/marianfinucane/archive.html

Is she on holidays now? I didnt hear her mention it...

Jimmy, that podcast of the Gary O'Toole interview is up now.. Just downloading now, gonna get a listen to the full thing..

Cheers, they were definitely fiddling with it:D

Cheers, they were definitely fiddling with it:D

Bad choice of words :(

Bad choice of words :(

:o:o:o.........s***.

I don't think it was intentional :(

• Advertisement

Is it the voice of Glenroes "George" I hear?

mike65 wrote: »

Yeah, two main topics discussed really... He was getting a Green Card for the US and found out that he was adopted... And the fact that he left his wife for a 19 year old (a few years ago, he's split with her now)... David Agnew rang in in support of him..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

mike65 wrote: »

This is the trouble with RTE.How many times has this chancer been interviewed on both TV and Radio in the past 20 years? Yet Marian interviews him for the guts of an hour today.Does he really merit this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭Dirigent

Mrs Brown is funny internationally because *bleeps* translate well.

This is the trouble with RTE.How many times has this chancer been interviewed on both TV and Radio in the past 20 years? Yet Marian interviews him for the guts of an hour today.Does he really merit this?

About the only thing I would be interested in reading about Queenie is her own biog where she details her interaction with other heads of state during her long reign. As for "Lady" Di and her ilk, I couldn't give a sh1t. Sadly I don't think I'll ever read it!

I quite enjoyed the interview with Alan Stanford, some shock to discover at 61 that you were adopted, and refreshing to hear him talk about it without blame, rancour or the usual poor me emotional outbursts.

I didn't know anything about his marital situations & frankly have no great interest either.

The rest of the show was just padding ... I don't know what the point of having Joe Rooney & the other guy in studio was & frankly they didn't seem to know why they were there either. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Callan57 wrote: »
    The rest of the show was just padding ... I don't know what the point of having Joe Rooney & the other guy in studio was & frankly they didn't seem to know why they were there either. :rolleyes:

Yeah it was very odd.. very ad hoc sort of conversation... kind of raises questions about all the supposed hours of research that Marian purports to do before each show..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

Yeah it was very odd.. very ad hoc sort of conversation... kind of raises questions about all the supposed hours of research that Marian purports to do before each show..

I always get the feeling that they put a reasonable bit of research into their main guest after the 11am news on a Saturday morning, and then they just wing it for the rest of the programme after that. Somehow I doubt that Marian spends a great deal of time during the week doing research into her weekend programmes. After all, her Sunday show is usually dictated by the headlines in the Sunday newspapers, and anyone with even a passing interest in current affairs would be able to handle a discussion on that.

This Ex Secretary General putting the failures of the Public Service down to "lack of resources" is an absolute joke... They certainly didnt cut corners on numbers of staff or wages.. I think they should look at the cowardly, self serving nature of the people involved before looking at anything else.

Six people in the studio (including Dunphy who isnt cheap) and Marian has spent the last ten minutes on the phone..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭RadioRetro

"last ten minutes on the phone.." And I thought it was a very interesting conversation.

• Advertisement

RadioRetro wrote: »
    "last ten minutes on the phone.." And I thought it was a very interesting conversation.

Ah, I suppose it was interesting enough, but I just dont understand why they would get SIX people into the studio (they usually only have four) and give them so little time each.. Fran Rooney made little or no contribution.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭my friend

listened to the Alan Stanford interview this morning on replay, found it compelling listening

turned off when it ended.

I think a factor was he is intelligent and Marian was sidelined as he spoke.

He also didn't hide from her 'tough' questions

This Ex Secretary General putting the failures of the Public Service down to "lack of resources" is an absolute joke... They certainly didnt cut corners on numbers of staff or wages.. I think they should look at the cowardly, self serving nature of the people involved before looking at anything else.

Well what would you expect for someone whose exorbitant salary has now been replaced with an equally exorbitant pension while speaking to someone still on a truly exorbitant salary .... because they're worth it! :mad:

The show this am was downright boring .... Dumphy (who I do not like) the only one who made any effort. :(

Two seconds in and my blood is already boiling... Mary O'Rourke (in regard to Mick Wallace): "I thought that deep down there is some of decent streak in him"
    Given the reptiles that Mary O'Rourke was happy to work in Government without questioning their curious finances, I'm not sure she can take the moral high ground on this one.

As one who changes channel at the first mention of Sport or Religion, my remote control will need new batteries shortly.

First item on the 12 O'Clock news: football fans not let into campsite and have to sleep outside. Yawn.

Marian:"I thought you were out there (in Poland)"...
    Brady:"I'm in the studio next door to you Marian"...

See that's the fruits of the week of research that Marian puts in the week before every show..

Marian:"I thought you were out there (in Poland)"...
    Brady:"I'm in the studio next door to you Marian"...

See that's the fruits of the week of research that Marian puts in the week before every show..

I know nothing about soccer but at least I got a laugh out of that one.:)

My God the BANKS want people in mortgage difficulty to live on EUR188 ... who the bloody hell do these people think they are? Mr Elderfield seems like a straight talking man I sure hope he puts them straight on a few home truths.
    I still don't know did the bankers mislead the two Brians or did they really know so little about their business. If the latter then they must surely rank among the most incompetent bunch of managers in the history of banking or indeed any business.

I forgot to add .... it's a pleasure always to listen to Patsy McGarry, I know the subject of abuse is difficult but he has such a detailed grasp of the issue and is so informed and informative. Long may he continue at The Irish Times.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭my friend

Dirigent wrote: »
    First item on the 12 O'Clock news: football fans not let into campsite and have to sleep outside. Yawn.

How does this make the 'national news' ?

pathetic hackery from the most discredited 'News organisation' in Europe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,709 ✭✭✭Infoanon

I forgot to add .... it's a pleasure always to listen to Patsy McGarry, I know the subject of abuse is difficult but he has such a detailed grasp of the issue and is so informed and informative. Long may he continue at The Irish Times.

Unfortunately his grasp of the political system is rather lacking and his ill informed comments on the technical group where disappointing to say the least.

Amazing how the national service that ignored the Irish bailout until the last moment is also managing to ignore the Spanish bailout and its potential consequences.

• Advertisement

There's something about Patsy McGarry, probably his tone of voice, that always makes him sound reasoned and lucid... It is always a pleasure to listen to him, particularly when he's battling either David Quinn or Ronán Mullen..

Mary O'Rourke, as usual, is insufferable.. muttering in the background. Talking about the economic crisis as if she'd been on the moon in the preceding years, and not in fact sitting in the back benches of the Government that did so much damage... She gets an easy run from Finucane, as did O'Cuiv on the show preceding it this morning (if anybody heard it).

There's something about Patsy McGarry, probably his tone of voice, that always makes him sound reasoned and lucid... It is always a pleasure to listen to him, particularly when he's battling either David Quinn or Ronán Mullen..

Mary O'Rourke, as usual, is insufferable.. muttering in the background. Talking about the economic crisis as if she'd been on the moon in the preceding years, and not in fact sitting in the back benches of the Government that did so much damage... She gets an easy run from Finucane, as did O'Cuiv on the show preceding it this morning (if anybody heard it).

Agree totally, I really do wish Mary O'R would get the message that she's yesterdays woman and feck off and give us a break. It's enough that we have to pay her 2 or 3 pensions without having to listen to her silly musings first thing on a Sunday morning.

Agree totally, I really do wish Mary O'R would get the message that she's yesterdays woman and feck off and give us a break. It's enough that we have to pay her 2 or 3 pensions without having to listen to her silly musings first thing on a Sunday morning.

As long as radio producers have her on speed dial she'll turn up. Blame them not her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

The apprentices have taken over the asylum this morning I see! Or somebody forgot to pay the phone bill.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 478 ✭✭Rochester

Ah, the poor impoverished GP.

I turned off this morning when I heard Marian introduce the fatuous, Z list celebrity & when I came back an hour later I thought Apres Match had got it right & the winding down of RTE had started :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,739 ✭✭✭sudzs

Happyman42 wrote: »
    The apprentices have taken over the asylum this morning I see! Or somebody forgot to pay the phone bill.:D

:D

I gave up early! Did she ever get Maeve Binchy back on in the end??

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Not sure.

I jumped ship when the doctor she had on started talking about colonoscopys. :(

Not the most desirable subject matter for a mid morning show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭RadioRetro

The phones died in RTE this morning. MF reduced to a lengthy chat about health with a doctor in studio instead.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

RadioRetro wrote: »
    The phones died in RTE this morning. MF reduced to a lengthy chat about health with a doctor in studio instead.

They'd have been better going to the archives, I zoned out after 5 mins and put on some music.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement