Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Marian Finucane

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Callan57 wrote: »
    I turned off this morning when I heard Marian introduce the fatuous, Z list celebrity & when I came back an hour later I thought Apres Match had got it right & the winding down of RTE had started :)

Did Craig Doyle say :
    "Hello there... (lowers voice)... and a very good morning to you"..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

sudzs wrote: »
    :D

I gave up early! Did she ever get Maeve Binchy back on in the end??

No or anyone else either. Hopefully by next Sat someone will have paid the phone bill and we can hear Maeve :)

Lisa Murphy (on regretting her breast augmentation operation): "There's certain clothes that you know, you wear, and they can look tacky, and that aspect I dont like".

I know what she means.. even a classy, conservative outfit like the one below can look cheap and tacky after having a breast augmentation.

3003_lisa-murphy_h_866706t.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

(to be honest her face is more of an issue)

mike65 wrote: »
    (to be honest her face is more of an issue)

Yea she has that very scared or very scaring look :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭shockwave

She looks ridiculous, looks like a drag queen tbh.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭Rebelheart

Aw thanks Marian, me auld flower, for acknowledging that in Ireland, like Greece, it's the ordinary people who are left to carry the can and those at the top escape.

Such a sweetheart.

Marian Finucane completely overlooking the irony overload of an Irish person attacking the President of the USA about allowing immigrates to stay.

Looks like the retired senior Civil Servants have now been added to the producers speed dial list for panel guests along with the retired senior Gardaí .... I noted she didn't have much to say about the massive pensions they are on though :rolleyes:

Every time I hear Eddie Hobbs I'm reminded of his financial advice to so many on his TV prog .... consolidate your debts & remortgage & release equity if I remember correctly. I'm sure there are many now wishing they had ignored Eddie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Looks like the retired senior Civil Servants have now been added to the producers speed dial list for panel guests along with the retired senior Gardaí .... I noted she didn't have much to say about the massive pensions they are on though :rolleyes:

Every time I hear Eddie Hobbs I'm reminded of his financial advice to so many on his TV prog .... consolidate your debts & remortgage & release equity if I remember correctly. I'm sure there are many now wishing they had ignored Eddie[/QUOT

Sunday show has turned into Groundhog Day.
    Same interchangeable guests.
    Same topic of conversation.

• Advertisement

padd b1975 wrote: »
    Sunday show has turned into Groundhog Day.
    Same interchangeable guests. Same topic of conversation.

Yeah I made this point a few weeks ago.. But I guess they have to see what's on the papers and comment about it .. And what is big this week is the voting in Greece... What's new, Paddy, is that they now seem to always have some ex public service square defending their former department. Yer wan today saying that head of departments are named and are accountable is just laughable..

Again find it amazing that on one hand they are saying that nurses in Greece are being paid 300 euros a month, yet we (who apparently are also suffering under the shackles of extreme austerity measures) are paying people who DONT work at all almost three times that plus benefits.. Austerity is effectively only a reality for the private sector workers, and the subset of groups who have had services or funding cuts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

I'm getting the impression that people don't want radio programmes to give a voice to anybody with whom they disagree. That's the formula for very bland radio.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

I'm getting the impression that people don't want radio programmes to give a voice to anybody with whom they disagree. That's the formula for very bland radio.
    Repeditive topics and guests make bland radio.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

I'm getting the impression that after the year RTÉ has had, financially, legally, and twittery, repeditive guests with little new, thought provoking, or courageous opinions to offer will be part of the formula around Montrose for some time to come.

Bland radio won't rock any boats and thats something us listeners will have to get used to I'm afraid.

In fairness to Finnucane (when she's there), her programme is not the only one to suffer from this form of inoffensive dumbing down.

I could be wrong but this board isn't as spiky or even busy as usual, with the whole domestic radio landscape being so pitifully bland, even Liveline can't really rouse people much these days.

My own listening at the moment is certainly taking in much less Irish radio, admittedly the Euros are partial the reason but during the day I often listen to BBC4/5live and my mp3 collection. <snip> Oh well. I bet he finds a
    angle involving a venerable Irish author, painter or singer/songwriter.

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭Paddy De Plasterer

I suppose Finucane will be doing a world tour for summer - human and animal rights ?

Lisa Murphy (on regretting her breast augmentation operation): "There's certain clothes that you know, you wear, and they can look tacky, and that aspect I dont like".

I know what she means.. even a classy, conservative outfit like the one below can look cheap and tacky after having a breast augmentation.

3003_lisa-murphy_h_866706t.jpg

horse face is top heavy.

When is RTE going to tackle the outrageous wages paid to Finucane ? At a time of recession she is paid more than our President and Taoiseach put together.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭EchoO

When is RTE going to tackle the outrageous wages paid to Finucane ? At a time of recession she is paid more than our President and Taoiseach put together.

It has already been done, I think. Her contract was up this year and all RTE's top ten earners are due to have their salaries cut by a third when that happens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭shockwave

EchoO wrote: »
    It has already been done, I think. Her contract was up this year and all RTE's top ten earners are due to have their salaries cut by a third when that happens.

Even with her salary cut by a third shes still getting way too much money.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭EchoO

shockwave wrote: »
    Even with her salary cut by a third shes still getting way too much money.

I don't think you will find many who would disagree with you, except herself of course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

mike65 wrote: »
    Pat Kenny has pissed off on two weeks leave

To which he is perfectly entitled to. The bitter language pursued by some posters on here is laughable.

Aidric wrote: »
    To which he is perfectly entitled to. The bitter language pursued by some posters on here is laughable.

I agree PK is probably the most deserving of a holiday ... he does, in fairness, put in a fair weeks work & clearly does a lot of research and is seldom (if ever) caught unprepared. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

There is a thread elsewhere questioning why Jim Power is still being asked on to radio panels.Brendan Keenan is on Marian's panel this morning, is regularly interviewed on RTE television and radio and nobody seems too bothered about how spectactulalry wrong he was.He wasn't even working for a financial institution so didn't even have to be a shill, so he was just plain ignorant of the facts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EI5o8qsTVoM

Aidric wrote: »

Its a colloquialism, its how I speak and type.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

If everybody who made a wrong pronouncement on a matter of major public interest were excluded from radio, there would be very few people available for studio panels.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

Well Jaysus lads ya heard it on Marion first.

The rich guys solution to Ireland's drinking problem is to double the price of it and restrict it to bars.

Funny how that wouldnt effect their ability to buy it and look after some of their mates business interests eh ?

Must be just a coincidence .

FFS I'm actualy getting angry listening to these ****ing shills

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

A right bunch of killjoys in the studio this morning. Brendan Keenan wants to double the price of drink, and that Scottish guy is having a go at Angela Merkel for showing some emotion when Germany won the other night.
    Wouldn't you love going for a pint with those fellas? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,367 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Was the guy being serious about angela Merkel not being able to cheer when her country scores.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

If everybody who made a wrong pronouncement on a matter of major public interest were excluded from radio, there would be very few people available for studio panels.

There are plenty around that could offer an opinion that haven't been spectactularly wrong.
    The point is there is no humility,there is no acknowledgement of it and life goes merrily on. That's fine, but don't expect people to respect your opinion or at the very least remind others of their previous utterings.Radio producers are happy to draw from the same pool of paid talking heads (Mary o'Rourke for example) and make very little effort to widen their scope.It's lazy and is most prevalent at RTE but all stations are guilty of it.

Poor show today... Particularly annoying was the constant interjections with "the science bit" from the purported expert in human behaviour, explaining to the plebs why somebody did something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

Well Jaysus lads ya heard it on Marion first.

The rich guys solution to Ireland's drinking problem is to double the price of it and restrict it to bars.

Funny how that wouldnt effect their ability to buy it and look after some of their mates business interests eh ?

Must be just a coincidence .

FFS I'm actualy getting angry listening to these ****ing shills

It's odd that our great entrepreneurs always propose such simplistic ideas, ones that invariably target the poorest (cf. the repeated complain about the €8.65 minimum wage). You'd think they'd have at least some ideas that show some imaginatiom

Poor show today... Particularly annoying was the constant interjections with "the science bit" from the purported expert in human behaviour, explaining to the plebs why somebody did something.

Very poor show today after an equally anodyne effort yesterday .... I was looking forward to the interview with Aung San Suu Kyi but it was a spectacular few minutes of nothing!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,709 ✭✭✭Infoanon

Very poor show today after an equally anodyne effort yesterday .... I was looking forward to the interview with Aung San Suu Kyi but it was a spectacular few minutes of nothing!

And to make it worse Marian remarked that the clip played was part of the interview - why is the rest of the interview not up as a podcast ?

Very poor show today - vintners association might disagree.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

goose2005 wrote: »
    It's odd that our great entrepreneurs always propose such simplistic ideas, ones that invariably target the poorest (cf. the repeated complain about the €8.65 minimum wage). You'd think they'd have at least some ideas that show some imaginatiom

Keenan didn't have much to say when somebody texted in about bootleggers turning up on every corner if the price of drink was doubled, and the tax take for the exchequer would probably go down as a result. Typical feckin economist that fella :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭Dirigent

Is Made Marion so desperate for guests that her researchers stalk the list of recently convicted drunk drivers for a "D" list celeb?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,739 ✭✭✭sudzs

Dirigent wrote: »
    Is Made Marion so desperate for guests that her researchers stalk the list of recently convicted drunk drivers for a "D" list celeb?

I dunno but this interview is enough to put anyone off the aul fags!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

jesus this is surreal.

if this was some inner city scumbag you can bet they'd be calling for the book to be thrown at them

fecking insider mentality of rte writ large here.

Who was interviewed, I missed it. edit: oh right Dolores Keane, just heard it.. Jaysus Marian sounds awful, has she upped her nicotine dosage?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,739 ✭✭✭sudzs

Jaysus Marian sounds awful, has she upped her nicotine dosage?

She seems to have dropped a whole octave! :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

Who was interviewed, I missed it. edit: oh right Dolores Keane, just heard it.. Jaysus Marian sounds awful, has she upped her nicotine dosage?
    She said that she has a cold today. *cough*

Nice to hear Dolores getting her life back together again .... she was some performer in her day, gave us some great nights entertainment ;)

Surprised Marian is still with us going into July, but after all the coughing and snorting this morning I'm kind sorry she didn't flit off to Tuscany a month ago as was her way these last few years

• Registered Users Posts: 19,749 ✭✭✭✭grey_so_what

Nice to hear Dolores getting her life back together again .... she was some performer in her day, gave us some great nights entertainment ;)......:)

Surprised Marian is still with us going into July, but after all the coughing and snorting this morning I'm kind sorry she didn't flit off to Tuscany a month ago as was her way these last few years

That'd be the fault of them "Internet Boardies"......They either want you or they don't..........Poor Marian, Trying to please everyone through sickness or wallet/holidays...........:rolleyes::D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,730 ✭✭✭europa11

Had a good laugh yesterday when Matthew Parris was on from London. While speaking about the UK Banking scandal he mentioned "I know you have an economist on the panel there with you".

I could only imagine heads swivelling around the studio with panellists asking "where?", "who?", "has someone just come in?" while Jim "I almost predicted all this" Power fixed a steady gaze at a spot on the wall.

europa11 wrote: »
    Had a good laugh yesterday when Matthew Parris was on from London. While speaking about the UK Banking scandal he mentioned "I know you have an economist on the panel there with you".

I could only imagine heads swivelling around the studio with panellists asking "where?", "who?", "has someone just come in?" while Jim "I almost predicted all this" Power fixed a steady gaze at a spot on the wall.

Yea, I shared that moment with you .... and then he corrected our pompous Jim a few moments later, if I remember correctly on the point of whether or not legal action was now precluded. Silence from Jim ensued. :D:D

europa11 wrote: »
    The irony is that the Irish media still gives a platform to all the economists from banks, estate agents, mortgage brokers and various other bodies who have a vested interest in talking up the property market - as if they were totally exposed as useless propagandists during the property bubble.

Useless lazy Irish journalism.

The irony is that the Irish media still gives a platform to all the economists from banks, estate agents, mortgage brokers and various other bodies who have a vested interest in talking up the property market - as if they were totally exposed as useless propagandists during the property bubble.

Useless lazy Irish journalism.

You are absolutely right, bunch of hired mouths just bang the drum and they will follow the tune. Not an original idea or thought among the lot of them. What really annoys me is they are portrayed as independent commentators when quite clearly they are in the pocket of whatever institution is paying their salaries .... they are as independent as their employer says they can be. :mad:

The irony is that the Irish media still gives a platform to all the economists from banks, estate agents, mortgage brokers and various other bodies who have a vested interest in talking up the property market

Well I was gonna post about Jim yesterday, but I'm sure I'm sounding like a broken record at this stage.. But one point did cross my mind. I'm not the only one who thinks that Jim Power should not be allowed on the air. Are RTE censoring or just ignoring any texts that come in to the show regarding Jim.. or maybe it's a condition for him appearing on the show?

To allow him to come on air and give out about OTHER people (like the way that he was giving out about the Regulator yesterday), and not point out to Jim his own significant failures in this area, is just subjective broadcasting from RTE.

To allow him to come on air and give out about OTHER people (like the way that he was giving out about the Regulator yesterday), and not point out to Jim his own significant failures in this area, is just subjective broadcasting from RTE.
    As an aside, contributors (even over the phone) are usually paid for these appearances.

I guess the best we can do is point out this lazy 'journalism' to friends, families and workmates - that way they will know not to trust these VI mouthpieces, and they might also put some pressure on the lazy media hacks who just dial up the usual bunch of clowns to give their 'views'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,367 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Marian is off on her jollies.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement