Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Marian Finucane

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Marian is off on her jollies.

If she carries on at this rate she'll bump into herself on the way back someday soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

Lapin wrote: »
    If she carries on at this rate she'll bump into herself on the way back someday soon.

I suppose it's too much to hope they'll get Rachel English to sit in for her?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭Greenman

Callan57 wrote: »
    I suppose it's too much to hope they'll get Rachel English to sit in for her?

No its Claire I'm afraid.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSyUhTtHS6-3eRqEXpqyaSxFNsfwSzNLHH0mztWbjbjqqSFYo42Xw

Greenman wrote: »
    No its Claire I'm afraid.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSyUhTtHS6-3eRqEXpqyaSxFNsfwSzNLHH0mztWbjbjqqSFYo42Xw

Thought so .... that's Lyric for me on Sat morning then

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭JoeGil

Listening to Radio 1 online abroad and suddenly just before the start of the MF show an announcer interrupted to say that for legal reasons the program cannot be broadcasted on certain foreign platforms.
    Now we're being treated to a compilation of old MF shows!
    Anybody know what the problem is?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Sandwlch

Topic is death of Irish girl in Tokyo. Maybe due to legal situation in Japan?

But you arent missing anything. Possibly the dullest show ever. RTE summer radio is through the bottom of the barrel and scraping the ground.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭jimmyw

The whole show was not on this topic though, a little over the top to not broadcast the whole show?:confused:.

They did mention that they were restrained in discussing the matter which is fair enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭Greenman

JoeGil wrote: »
    Listening to Radio 1 online abroad and suddenly just before the start of the MF show an announcer interrupted to say that for legal reasons the program cannot be broadcasted on certain foreign platforms.
    Now we're being treated to a compilation of old MF shows!
    Anybody know what the problem is?

Yes I heard that, then it was flicked back to the news then back to the recorded show. I changed over to BBC Radio Four for re-runs of The Archers.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Nascence

Just listened to the podcast of last sundays show there. WHAT is the story with the 20+ minutes of sport? Isn't Radio 1 ENTIRELY SPORTS for the whole day after Marzie? >_<

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,367 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Jesus that interview with Martin fagan was hard to listen to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Pretty odd to spend so long debating the merits of car fuel on this programme. Better suited to something like Pat Kennys programme.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

mike65 wrote: »
    Pretty odd to spend so long debating the merits of car fuel on this programme. Better suited to something like Pat Kennys programme.....

Very odd to get Conor Pope to find out about it and then get this mechanic on after him to effectively debunk him. Astonished that Conor Pope wouldnt know about tyre pressure..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Interesting observation; I could certainly accept that as material for Pat.

But is there a clear distinction between the editorial policies of the programmes, so that we can say what belongs in one and not in the other?

I'm not sure if this is a factor, but I'm sure it would be a lot easier for Conor Pope to present this segment with Claire Byrne presenting. Pat is an engineer and is THE most well prepped interviewer that RTE have.. Maybe Conor Pope was afraid that Pat would start asking him to balance a few chemical equations?

Very odd to get Conor Pope to find out about it and then get this mechanic on after him to effectively debunk him. Astonished that Conor Pope wouldnt know about tyre pressure..

Missed that went to make an early lunch....did the mechanic mention the energy deficit in LPG?

But is there a clear distinction between the editorial policies of the programmes, so that we can say what belongs in one and not in the other?

Well I associate this programme with humanities guff and chit chat based around the "issues of the week" rather than anything related to technology/systems/infrastructure etc

• Advertisement

Missed that went to make an early lunch....did the mechanic mention the energy deficit in LPG?

Yeah, in fairness to Pope, he said that LPG is 10% less efficient but is 50% less in price (so you still win on balance).. Not mentioning that diesel engines can not be easily converted to LPG was a big omission on Pope's part...

It's all fuel today.EPO, LPG, or body fuel.

Is it diabetic week in RTE or what ? Damo was obsessed with it on liveline and now it pops up in Saturday morning.

Yeah, in fairness to Pope, he said that LPG is 10% less efficient but is 50% less in price (so you still win on balance).. Not mentioning that diesel engines can not be easily converted to LPG was a big omission on Pope's part...

Indeed the huge leap in diesel ownership means the potential market for LPG is shrinking, I remember how it used to be the fuel of choice for farmers who bought big Volvos and Mercs in the 70s and then converted in the early 80s.

edit - so far the TV critic has highlighted four programmes and put two of them on the wrong channel!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,739 ✭✭✭sudzs

edit - so far the TV critic has highlighted four programmes and put two of them on the wrong channel!

and the nutrition woman was all wrong promoting low fat yoghurt and skimmed milk. The latest thinking is that full fat versions are far more nutritionally beneficial as you get better absorbtion of calcium and other minerals. And low fat chocolate drinks are just jam packed full of sugar. :rolleyes:

I emailed to tell them but they ignored me. They don't like me in RTE!! :o

• Advertisement

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Jesus that interview with Martin fagan was hard to listen to.

Dreadfully boring .... if I hadn't been out walking I'd have fallen asleep :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

Callan57 wrote: »
    Dreadfully boring .... if I hadn't been out walking I'd have fallen asleep :rolleyes:

What could have been an interesting topic turned into one of the most tedious, disjointed, drawn-out interviews I've heard in a long time. I'm not sure if it was to do with Claire's approach or just that the guy being interviewed wasn't very engaging.

Boring, boring stuff today...

coming up next "Why hot tubs are annoying"... Also, Which work better? Spring clothespins or the other kind?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭telekon

Boring, boring stuff today...

coming up next "Why hot tubs are annoying"... Also, Which work better? Spring clothespins or the other kind?

Sounds like a typical 2.58 Liveline ad-break promo for the Mooney Show.

"Coming up on Mooney... man counts backwards from a million, and Brek meets the youngest candlestick maker in Termonfeckin..."

Absolute drivel and a waste of everyone's time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭Dirigent

Hopefully today's JNLR figures will finally force RTE management to send Made Marion out to grass. To say she's stale is an underestimation, even when she takes a few months off, and when she comes back the coughing and spluttering will be even worse.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2012/0727/1224320884787.html

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭bureau2009

Dirigent wrote: »
    Hopefully today's JNLR figures will finally force RTE management to send Made Marion out to grass. To say she's stale is an underestimation, even when she takes a few months off, and when she comes back the coughing and spluttering will be even worse.

Marion is way overrated, she can do a good interview (largely thanks to the researcher) but after that she is very average.

But my biggest problem with her is her OBSCENE AND SCANDALOUS SALARY.

Wonder what the true value of a weekend radio presenter is? I'd say about 3% to 5% of the value of Marion's contract.

Rachel English is, in my opinion, the ideal person to replace Marion. No crazy contract, true star quality based on talent and personality, and great listener appeal.

Out with Marion!

Dirigent wrote: »

No mention of Mooney s figures ;) in that survey.

Great news, Charlie Bird :rolleyes:will be filling in for Marian for the next 2 weeks.Give Claire a well deserved break anyway.:(:p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Cassidy28

jimmyw wrote: »
    Great news, Charlie Bird :rolleyes:will be filling in for Marian for the next 2 weeks.Give Claire a well deserved break anyway.:(:p

Get finucane back, make her sweat for the money she's on.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Charlie Bird is another symptom of everything that's wrong with RTE. An utter hack who found out when he went to the USA that he wasn't that important at all... but RTE seemed to be happy to pay him to trek around.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭trishasaffron

OMG what is it with these superannuated aged broadcasters - thought MF was bad but jaysus:eek:

Charlie Bird should be doing some Saturday/ Sunday morning Bird watching:D instead of bringing down the mood on RTE Radio:cool: or if he doesn't like Bird watching he should get his nappy on and stay in bed :D

No mention of Mooney s figures ;) in that survey.

Thank god we'd never here the end of it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

charlie says he's covering for the next four weeks at the start of his show (ya cant say its marions during the summer ! :) )

maybe the heads wernt happy with claire or something ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,739 ✭✭✭sudzs

Oh gawd... just tuned in... Charlie Beard. :rolleyes:

he's very cranky with Brian darcy there!

its great fun watching the media go nuts over the quinn thing.

no matter what ya think of him its clearly fupped up the agenda they want to follow on the issue.

never seen so many insiders go at each other in such a manner, not to metion see the judiciay practically cannonised by them.

mustve missed the memo that judges are the new priests.

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

sudzs wrote: »
    Oh gawd... just tuned in... Charlie Beard. :rolleyes:

he's very cranky with Brian darcy there!
    I generally don't expect Charlie Bird to hit the target dead centre: he often finds his own idiosyncratic line, and follows it.

With Darcy, I think he did unusually well. He challenged him with the proper arguments, and Darcy's responses came across as specious. Good going by Charlie, as Darcy is a skilled media performer and could have slid away from somebody less dogged.

And then Theo Dorgan iced the cake!

Job well done.

That RTE interview with Ciarán O'Lionaird was awful last nite.. Usually the RTE interviewers know when to just leave the sportsperson alone, cos they know the person may something they may regret. Usually the best interest of the person themselves is the main concern.. But last night's interview was more like News Of The World... "So you're angry then"... Just leave him alone ffs..

I heard yesterday that Marian was at Maeve Binchy's funeral, so she's not out of the country, unless she was in France and flew back for the funeral which I spose is possible as well.. RTE are 17M in debt (Bless me father Reynolds for I have sinned).. And still they allow her to swan around, coming in basically whenever she wants.. They must have somebody working in RTE full time to organise a replacement for her every weekend.

• Advertisement

Charlie trying to get rid of Sean Kelly as quick as he can so that he can wipe all that egg from his face..

oh christ "RTE comedy" alert !

He's better than Claire all the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

This one actually seems surprisingly good.

yeah im kinda surprised.

the "accidental" theme tune clips interupting the interview crack me up.

poor ol dathai is getting some feirce slagging.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭RadioRetro

maybe the heads wernt happy with claire or something ?

She's filling in on the lunchtime news during the week.

And that new comedy (from the makers of Apres Match, allegedly) got off to a promising start today.

• Advertisement

why do all these comedy things have to have a fecking song in em though ?

it always lets them down by making em sound like they come from the 50s.

fingers crossed they keep up the standard the majority of it was at. not laugh a minute but not bad either.

i guess the funniest thing is if ya wandered off for a bit you may not actually know if the show was over or not as the girl doing the weather seems to have nutted the mike or something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

I like Charlie Bird but I thought his interview with Sean Kelly was hilarious. The Woodward/Bernstein of RTE was well flummoxed when Kelly told him he wasn't at the Quinn rally. :D

I thought the funniest bit was when Sean Kelly pulled the rug out from under The Bird ... :rolleyes: Sean wasn't even in Ballyconnell, muchless at the rally .... and the subtle way he did it, played the line & then reeled in poor old Charlie. Can't beat a Kerryman! :D

Theo Dorgan I could listen to all day .... as for Fr Brian & the poor Quinns, I'd welcome a chance to enjoy the Quinn version of poverty, as I'm sure so would a lot of people in Cavan/Fermanagh. As for Fr Brian's redemption I understood it included making amends not expecting others to pay dearly for your mistakes while you continue to live in luxury.

Sad to hear of the death of Con Houlihan RIP .... I've no great interest in sport but Con was a legend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,356 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

The comedy (Irish Pictorial Weekly) was much better than Green Tea, pity it wasn't on for longer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭GSF

The comedy (Irish Pictorial Weekly) was much better than Green Tea, pity it wasn't on for longer.

Will we ever hear an RTE radio comedy that isnt a parody of other RTE programmes?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement