Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Marian Finucane

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭mobby

Thought bird was very poor this morning. RTE are really dragging the bottom of the barrel atm.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

mobby wrote: »
    Thought bird was very poor this morning. RTE are really dragging the bottom of the barrel atm.

Agree ..... but he was still better than Claire whatshername :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭EchoO

RadioRetro wrote: »
    She's filling in on the lunchtime news during the week.

Why is she getting all these plum radio jobs? She was poor on Newstalk's Breakfast Show, ruined The Late Debate and of the stand-ins for Finucane she has been the worst.

EchoO wrote: »
    Why is she getting all these plum radio jobs? She was poor on Newstalk's Breakfast Show, ruined The Late Debate and of the stand-ins for Finucane she has been the worst.

Blonde hair perhaps :confused:

Callan57 wrote: »
    Blonde hair perhaps :confused:

Hmmm...there's a slight flaw in that logic, but it's better than any other explanation that I can come up with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭jimmyw

Most of the other radio presenters that are on 5 days a week usually get about 2 weeks holidays and Marion is only on at weekends and she gets twice if not more holidays, ridiculous:rolleyes:.

Even RTE dont like Charlie cause they cut the show shorter than normal to put on the comedy slot:D (is this permanent?).

I nearly had my intestines burst out with the laughing at the joke about the shoes been too tight from Cavan:D

• Registered Users Posts: 26 an offshore entity

Peter Quinn Senior on Northern Sound. Talking alot of sense, to be honest.

http://www.northernsound.ie/podcasts.php

18 posts to date and all of them supporting Peter Quinn. You seem to be on a bit of a mission an offshore entity.

Unless he has drastically changed his story from the VB interview, I have reason to doubt your "talking a lot of sense" claim.

More self serving nonsense to be honest :mad:

18 posts to date and all of them supporting Peter Quinn. You seem to be on a bit of a mission an offshore entity.

Unless he has drastically changed his story from the VB interview, I have reason to doubt your "talking a lot of sense" claim.
    Callan57 wrote: »
    More self serving nonsense to be honest :mad:

The key point here is, that if this goes to the European Supreme court, the quinn case will be quashed. Costing the tax payer even more money and opening the flood gates for others who have taken illegitimate loans.

I am grateful that you have taken the time to read my posts. I hope that I have managed to broaden your narrow view.

• Advertisement

The key point here is, that if this goes to the European Supreme court, the quinn case will be quashed. Costing the tax payer even more money and opening the flood gates for others who have taken illegitimate loans.

I am grateful that you have taken the time to read my posts. I hope that I have managed to broaden your narrow view.

Will the 2 per cent levy on all non-life and health insurance policies to help fund a €720 million shortfall at Quinn Insurance also be quashed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

http://www.northernsound.ie/podcasts.php[/QUOTE

Peter Quinn defends his son shocker!!! :eek: :eek:

The Quinn Family - more sinned against than sinning? :rolleyes:

Sean Quinn brought all of his troubles upon himself. His obscene greed brought him down, and jeopardised the jobs of thousands of people. Perhaps you'll explain why they tried to move their considerable assets out of the reach of Anglo and why the Quinn children are being paid humongous salaries by Russian companies?

Anyone who turned up to that rally in Cavan last week is a complete and utter idiot.

Will the 2 per cent levy on all non-life and health insurance policies to help fund a €720 million shortfall at Quinn Insurance also be quashed?

Surely, the idea behind a 2% levy was to recover the €720 million shortfall. To put it anyother way, this is a measure taken to write off the debt and it is therefore unlikely that €720 million will be recovered by other means.

Peter Quinn defends his son shocker!!! :eek: :eek:

The Quinn Family - more sinned against than sinning? :rolleyes:

Sean Quinn brought all of his troubles upon himself. His obscene greed brought him down, and jeopardised the jobs of thousands of people. Perhaps you'll explain why they tried to move their considerable assets out of the reach of Anglo and why the Quinn children are being paid humongous salaries by Russian companies?

Anyone who turned up to that rally in Cavan last week is a complete and utter idiot.

I totally agree that Sean Quinn is responsible for alot of his troubles. I also agree that Greed was quite possibly a factor. Jeopardised the jobs of thousands of people was a consequence of this actions.

Moving assets beyond the reach of Anglo is certainly undefensible and illegal. Although only the Quinn family will be able to justify their reason for doing this, I suspect that had they freely given the assets to Anglo, they would have lost money/power, making it impossible to challenge Anglo.

Not sure why we are branding people idiots for sharing a different view.

Surely, the idea behind a 2% levy was to recover the €720 million shortfall. To put it anyother way, this is a measure taken to write off the debt and it is therefore unlikely that €720 million will be recovered by other means.

I was being sarcastic, but I didn't think this was ":rolleyes:" necessary. I guess I was wrong.

I was being sarcastic, but I didn't think this was ":rolleyes:" necessary. I guess I was wrong.

Unfortunately sometimes you have got to state the obvious as you dont know the person at the other end. But I guess based on your reply you are a nice chap! Apologises.

I totally agree that Sean Quinn is responsible for alot of his troubles. I also agree that Greed was quite possibly a factor. Jeopardised the jobs of thousands of people was a consequence of this actions.

Moving assets beyond the reach of Anglo is certainly undefensible and illegal. Although only the Quinn family will be able to justify their reason for doing this, I suspect that had they freely given the assets to Anglo, they would have lost money/power, making it impossible to challenge Anglo.

Not sure why we are branding people idiots for sharing a different view.

They're idiots because they're blaming everybody except Sean Quinn, and he is largely to blame for the mess that he's in. I saw him once saying that he only ever gambled 5 euro when playing cards with his friends. It's a pity he didn't adopt the same approach when it came to buying shares in Anglo Irish.
    His greed is what's to blame for this and I'll stand by my opinion that anyone who turned out for that rally is a complete and utter idiot, especially when you consider that Quinn's daughter-in-law was paid 300k by one of his Russian companies recently, and then Quinn having the gall to come on the Vincent Browne Show during the week to say his family were put on the dole. Wouldn't it be great if the 450,000 unemployed people in this country got a "dole" payment of €300,000??? :rolleyes:

It's about time the people of the border counties woke up to what's going on in front of their eyes.

They're idiots because they're blaming everybody except Sean Quinn, and he is largely to blame for the mess that he's in. I saw him once saying that he only ever gambled 5 euro when playing cards with his friends. It's a pity he didn't adopt the same approach when it came to buying shares in Anglo Irish.
    His greed is what's to blame for this and I'll stand by my opinion that anyone who turned out for that rally is a complete and utter idiot, especially when you consider that Quinn's daughter-in-law was paid 300k by one of his Russian companies recently, and then Quinn having the gall to come on the Vincent Browne Show during the week to say his family were put on the dole. Wouldn't it be great if the 450,000 unemployed people in this country got a "dole" payment of €300,000??? :rolleyes:

It's about time the people of the border counties woke up to what's going on in front of their eyes.

I totally agree that there are a number of people who are blaming everybody except Sean Quinn. Two people who fall into this catergory are the ladies that appeared on Vincent Browne from Concerned Irish Citzens. I am happy for you to brand people like these 'idiots' as they tend to speak before they think. Likewise those that support sean quinn with a lack of understanding also fall into this catergory. There may well be a few in the border counties as you have suggested.

You are right that Sean Quinn should not be playing down his or his family's wealth. This is contradictory and insulting to the people of Ireland. The Quinns are not flawless in this at all. That is commonly accepted.

'My fear which is also my reckoning, is that the entire case is like a dam with many cracks, when the dam bursts, the cost to the irish tax payer will be unforgiving'. CM 05/08/12

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,356 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Jim Power thinks U2's last album was called 'How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb'.

*facepalm*

And you thought he was living in 2004!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭GSF

NewsTalks Sunday Show is no better. Full of people with opinions on everything and knowledge of nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Not many people U2s age know what U2s last album was called.

Jimbo played a blinder today, purely for comedy value :D

Jimbo: "The health service brings to mind the title of U2's last album, How to ........... How to dismantle.....erm........ can't remember".

Don't worry Jim, I'm sure you'll be back next week :rolleyes:

The first ten minutes of the show were brilliant thanks to Eamon Morrissey. They should have him on every week and dump the economist. I'm sure he's got the entire U2 back catalogue to catch up on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,709 ✭✭✭Infoanon

Don't worry Jim, I'm sure you'll be back next week :rolleyes:

Beyond a joke at this stage - does Jim 'soft landing' Power live in Montrose ?? probably pop up on Pat Kenny show during the week

Then Jim goes and forgets Katie Taylor and later tells the listeners that he loves boxing !

Dreadful show today imho

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Gerald Keane is just ridiculous. He criticised Peter Daragh Quinn at the start of the program for having the audacity to suggest that he may not get justice in the Irish courts.... then at the end of the program he describes as "shocking" the decision to give Anthony Lyons six months!! :confused:

Jim Power is like the village idiot. You call him over, put a cup of tea in his hand, give him a bit of encouragement.. then laugh at the stupid things that he says. If the man had any pride, he would have resigned from his position. Another of Marian's little clique of journalists, politicians, and ex public servants that look for accountability for everybody, but not for themselves..

• Advertisement

Charlie sounds worse for wear.

This is going to be the longest Presidential election campaign ever -7 years to go still.

Charlie said that he's in for the next few weeks.. Is Marian Finucane ill? If she's not or does not have some serious reason for not being there, it really is getting to ridiculous stages. A company running a 17 million loss cannot pay people that much money for that little work..

I cannot believe Brian Crowley is on whinging about this again. I like the guy, but I'm losing respect for him with this. People wouldnt have elected a FF President anyway, so GET OVER IT.

RTE really are going to have to have a serious think about the way they use their resources aren't they? 17 million and that hole isn't going to be filled in the next few years short of a hike in the TV licence (which I think is certain) and when it happens people are going to want to know why the likes of Finucane can waltz off for weeks at a time throughout the year.

Is Charlie taking the p1ss...

"Can you tell us how that walker is doing... "

and on finding out one of the lads was disqualified.

"oh, the sadness here"... :confused:

• Advertisement

Is Charlie on the Charlie.. He's off his head... Reminds me of the day when Fraiser came in to the studio when he was on his meds..

I cannot believe Brian Crowley is on whinging about this again. I like the guy, but I'm losing respect for him with this. People wouldnt have elected a FF President anyway, so GET OVER IT.

I wouldn't be so sure about that. Sean Gallagher came within a tweet of getting into Aras an Uachtaráin, and we all knew he was a Fianna Failer.

I wouldn't be so sure about that. Sean Gallagher came within a tweet of getting into Aras an Uachtaráin, and we all knew he was a Fianna Failer.

I think it was only when it became clear how close his FF links actually were, despite his attempts to distance himself from the party, that his campaign came off the rails.. For me when he didnt deny that he was effectively a bag man for the FF party, he lost all chances of getting a vote from me..

Is Charlie on the Charlie.. He's off his head... Reminds me of the day when Fraiser came in to the studio when he was on his meds..

I thought the comedy show had started early ... :D

Very disappointing interview with Brian Crowley ... anyone thinking anything had changed in FF needs to look again - getting "things" for people & going to funerals his top priorities, same old parish pump. No quams whatever about those who runined peoples lives holding their hands out for not one but 2 pensions, "mistakes were made" most certainly they were & the biggest one was ever electing FF :(

I think it was only when it became clear how close his FF links actually were, despite his attempts to distance himself from the party, that his campaign came off the rails.. For me when he didnt deny that he was effectively a bag man for the FF party, he lost all chances of getting a vote from me..

Even accepting all of that, Gallagher still came second to Michael D. Higgins in terms of first preferences, and that was when all of the truth was out there. Brian Crowley could just as easily have distanced himself from the inner workings of the previous Fianna Fail government as he spent most of his political career in Europe, and I doubt there would have been too many skeletons in his cupboard on the run up to the Presidential election.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭Dirigent

Pat Kenny deserves great credit for giving Gallagher just enough rope to hang himself (metaphorically).

Dirigent wrote: »
    Pat Kenny deserves great credit for giving Gallagher just enough rope to hang himself (metaphorically).

Not forgetting Glenna Lynch ... she hit him with the really hard & revealing questions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

Gallagher was a pathological liar, let's not forget that.

His every utterance during the campaign was either untrue or misleading.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭RadioRetro

Can someone please stop Terry Crone from getting on the weekend radio talk shows? Pleaase?

Hurleying for the Olympics?! :eek: Some wacky ideas being floated

• Advertisement

Terry Crone thinks political advertising is better than PPBs? Well she would wouldn't she :mad:

A load of people talking about something they know nothing about. Particulary Paddy Duffy talking about Johnjoe laughing and joking before the final, when Johnjoe said himself that he was enjoying the thing and that was the reason that he was doing so well..
    Terry Prone: "There was a desperately nice man in the shooting. And he had come in, like 180th.. he said he was reasonably pleased.. I was looking at him and I was thinking 'You shouldnt be there. That was a waste of your time' "

Maybe she should have saved that particular piece of "expert PR advice" for Gay Mitchell.

Cant stand her patronising, sanctimonious tone. She sounds like she's talking to somebody with hearing difficulties, or narrating a documentary about seals..

RadioRetro wrote: »
    Can someone please stop Terry Crone from getting on the weekend radio talk shows? Pleaase?

She's one of the chosen few, no doubt helped by who her husband is. Last February The Sunday Times published a list of payments that RTE have made to external commentators invited onto their programmes over a 3 year period(2009-2011) and look whose there.

Harry McGee €25165
    Michael O'Regan €15785
    Fionnan Sheehan €13800
    Pat Leahy €10260
    Maire-Louise O'Donnell €9784
    Shane Coleman €8560
    Noel Whelan €6240
    Terry Prone €5210
    Michael Clifford €4765
    Justine McCarthy €2860
    Fintan O'Toole €2740
    Pol O'Conghaile €2705
    Brendan Keenan €2675
    Paul O'Brien €2645
    Stephen Collins €2533
    Mary Minihan €2515
    Catherine Halloran €1945

Harry McGee is a busy chap.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

Good to be an insider eh ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭Dirigent

mike65 wrote: »
    Harry McGee is a busy chap.

I think he tops the list as he's got perfect Gaeilge, so he can participate in the Irish language shows as well as the English.

Stress in the work place............discussed on the Marian Finnucane show! Fortunately the host wont be back til September.

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭Paddy De Plasterer

when will Finucane be back - I suppose mid to late Sept. after a good rest for her cough. We the fools put up with this.

I'm beginning to think that she is ill, lads.. There's no way that any company could give a person THAT much time off.. She broke both her ankles last year and there wasnt a word about it, so I think there may be something else wrong.

• Advertisement

I doubt it, looking back through the tread - she came back on the first week of September last year. Unbelievably long holidays must be enshrined in her contract.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement