Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Marian Finucane

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,749 ✭✭✭✭grey_so_what

Lapin wrote: »
    The cloud of arrogance that follows Finnucane around became even denser yesterday as she wheezed herself back on the airwaves without as much as a word of thanks to any of those who filled her shoes over the last few months.

Not so much as a name mentioned or even an acknowledgement from the €50 per minute presenter.

Someone should tell her that a bit of manners costs nothing.

They should send that little bit of wisdom to all the presenters Lapin!....;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

Ah, if it isn't me ould adversary Happyman! ;)

That ^^^ would suggest we are equals. :rolleyes::D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

Amazing all the research Marian does & still this morning she didn't seem to have an idea what the Mick Wallace controversry was about ... but then I suppose if you're on your "teacher" holidays it might easily have slipped by you :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

Happyman42 wrote: »
    That ^^^ would suggest we are equals. :rolleyes::D:D

Ah, sure some of us are more equal than others ;):D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

My music is my shield.....who is this spoofer?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

This is getting fierce boring. 45 minutes interviewing a pop group doesn't make for good radio. At least we've got Leonard Cohen on Radio 2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭Dirigent

FFS, Marion, is there not enough fukcing sport on radio already?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

This is getting fierce boring. 45 minutes interviewing a pop group doesn't make for good radio. At least we've got Leonard Cohen on Radio 2.

Yeah, they seem like sound guys but the whole "mad thing girl fans have done" section got a bit nauseating after a while.. They were a lot more entertaining when I saw them on the LLS a while back..

Yeah, they seem like sound guys but the whole "mad thing girl fans have done" section got a bit nauseating after a while.. They were a lot more entertaining when I saw them on the LLS a while back..

I had no idea who they were :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Unusual to hear her discuss the Croke Park agreement. Usually herself and Pat Kenny keep a wide berth of that topic as it's a little too close to home

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭EchoO

Unusual to hear her discuss the Croke Park agreement. Usually herself and Pat Kenny keep a wide berth of that topic as it's a little too close to home

Yeah, the first thing that sprang to mind was that interview that Marian gave to the Irish Times a couple of years ago and Pat's "We're paid peanuts compared to soccer stars" Indo interview.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭Maggie 2

Would I be er right in saying ah that am Marian must be nearing retirement? Also ah that er she doesn't am actually get paid direct? So, it goes into her company, to er pay researchers to oh do the er actual work for her? That is probably an am family member?

Well her Duffy, Kenny and the rest are all private contractors so they wouldnt be covered by the Croke Park Agreement... What is confusing is why they seem to be given the BETTER conditions than even those who are members of strong unions and protected by such agreements... In any properly run company, Finucane would have been let go, but nobody in RTE has the balls to make such a decision as they would be thinking "if marian does her three weeks a year on another station and it's a huge success, I will be held accountable for letting her go and being a public servant this is something I am VERY uncomfortable with".

A company running a 17 million deficit can afford to pay 500k for a woman that shows up only when the weather forecast for le weekend in France is bad.. it's baffling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭donaghs

Had to pay my RTE licence recently after too many warnings. Sick of having to pay for this crap. Has this joker been heard on air recently?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,730 ✭✭✭europa11

donaghs wrote: »
    Had to pay my RTE licence recently after too many warnings. Sick of having to pay for this crap. Has this joker been heard on air recently?

Appears she's been seen in and around the studio recently......:rolleyes:

0828_keene_630x420.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭GSF

Never heard of this ex FF councillor who is claiming his life was ruined by all the publicity. Maybe he does protest too much. Hes no Kate Middleton anyway.

Had to laugh at the way Finucane talked about topless bathing on the beaches of southern France, sounded like she was very familiar with such locales!

Discussion about freedom to criticise religion cut short by the Angelus bell

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

There ya go lads NONE of us had money problems during the boom.

FFS this upper class love in is doing my head in . No wonder montrose thinks we all partied

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭donaghs

Flicking stations today, heard that too. She's back on air anyway. Sickened after 5 minutes of discussion about money saving tips. And of course how money was "never a problem" for anyone during the boom. Back some to Radio 4, very informative, without being insulting either

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭Rebelheart

She sounded so posh back then! She was no doubt a bit of well do to hippy chic back then, now she'd evict hippies of course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,367 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Its seems Marion has alway been paid by the taxpayer.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭newcavanman

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Its seems Marion has alway been paid by the taxpayer.
    Paid far far too much for the drivel she produces

Out the door at 12.52 today.. 8 minutes of ads on top of the two ad breaks... to pay for her no doubt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

Out the door at 12.52 today.. 8 minutes of ads on top of the two ad breaks... to pay for her no doubt.

that's gas-spotted that as well

No weather forecast?

God she drones on.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭JoeGil

She just told us that a spend € 48k a year net for a family of four to live off is "impossible" withouth a hint of irony in her voice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Conor Pope: "I put down a figure of 1,200 a year for an average families cost covering home repairs and upkeep."

Marion Finucane: " Oh, that seems like so much"

Yeah, love, it's a weekends wages for you........ extracted from the public.

Makes me fucking sick, and the thing is people lap this shite up.
    To paraphrase an old TV tax advert "Marion, could you live with the shame".
    Obviously you can.

• Advertisement

That interview with Malcom McArthur's mother made for fascinating listening ... David Hanley really was the master interviewer.

Callan57 wrote: »
    That interview with Malcom McArthur's mother made for fascinating listening ... David Hanley really was the master interviewer.
    Not sure which was posher though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,364 ✭✭✭washiskin

Callan57 wrote: »

I used to respect him greatly until he launched a sneak attack on a Red Cross/Crescent rep on air one morning in the late nineties about Hezbollah or some other group using Red Cross/Crescent ambulances as suicide bomb carriers. I remember being horrified at his sudden shift in questioning and genuinely wondering if he had taken leave of his senses mid-segment. :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭my friend

MF @ 12:26

'I'll be back to you with the foreign stuff after the break'

I kid you not

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

And what's wrong with that? Up to that point, the programme had been dealing with domestic news.

God Almighty but that Paul Sommerville is one depressing chap ... lighten up Paul. I did like his side swipe at the economists though, could that be poor soft landing Jim Power he was referring to I wonder. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

Paul willams !

That's enough for me I'm off

mike65 wrote: »
    God she drones on.

and on and on.

A truly awful programme she really is just phoning this in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 987 ✭✭✭Birdsong

I cant listen to Marian anymore - its so bad today

Does anyone have any suggestions for an alternative programme to listen on a sunday morning, Today FM or Newstalk any better

• Advertisement

Birdsong wrote: »
    I cant listen to Marian anymore - its so bad today
    Does anyone have any suggestions for an alternative programme to listen on a sunday morning, Today FM or Newstalk any better

Newstalk have a combination of that sanctimonious hypocrite Fergus Finlay.. He uses the show as a soapbox to put his left wing spin on the papers.. Him, a former political spin doctor, now adopting the moral high ground and pocketing 100k from Barnardos.. Michael O'Regan presents it when he's not there (or vice versa, maybe it's a job sharing scheme).. He is constantly trying to be funny, which he is not... I've stopped downloading the podcast cos I cant listen to either of them...

I think Anton Savage is presenting the show on Today FM, but it's not up on podcast so I never hear it.. I always found him easy enough to listen to..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 64 ✭✭deekster

Newstalk have a combination of that sanctimonious hypocrite Fergus Finlay.. He uses the show as a soapbox to put his left wing spin on the papers.. Him, a former political spin doctor, now adopting the moral high ground and pocketing 100k from Barnardos.. Michael O'Regan presents it when he's not there (or vice versa, maybe it's a job sharing scheme).. He is constantly trying to be funny, which he is not... I've stopped downloading the podcast cos I cant listen to either of them...

I think Anton Savage is presenting the show on Today FM, but it's not up on podcast so I never hear it.. I always found him easy enough to listen to..

Savage Sunday Podcast feed url has always been here:
    http://media.todayfm.com/mediamanager/podcast_series/items/733/feedformat_itunes/.xml

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,879 ✭✭✭signostic

Mick Wallace on with her this morning, shall the call him "The Moan" ? or does he have another nick?

Ah that's who it is (wasn't paying attention) is it me or does Maid Marian have some Celtic
    Tiger loser on her programme every weekend?

Mick Wallace AGAIN ... go away we've had enough of you. :mad:
    "Loyalty is big in the construction industry" ... don't make me laugh. These are the guys who have destroyed the lives of thousands of families, loyalty to themselves maybe but zero loyalty to the misfortunate people who bought their over priced, badly built properties.
    Get off the stage Mick we've had ENOUGH of the lot of you :mad:

This is getting interesting..

Is Mick just admitting to signing a contract for intimidation.. ?

• Advertisement

News for Jim - it does define you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,367 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Mick wallace has a neck like a jockey's bollocks.

Liveline yesterday was the same poor me bull****.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

This is getting interesting..

Is Mick just admitting to signing a contract for intimidation.. ?
    No.

He is describing how he bluffed a debtor into thinking that he had.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭my friend

listening to Mick I wonder will Marian read any angry texts?

oh sorry, its Marian.

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Mick wallace has a neck like a jockey's bollocks.
    Liveline yesterday was the same poor me bull****.

I completely disagree.. The people yesterday were just greedy. They created nothing and generated no revenue (aside from stamp duty) for the state. They wanted to flip houses to get a stack of money they would have had to otherwise work years for...

Mick was running a proper business for years before the boom, paying lots of taxes and providing loads of jobs. He certainly hasnt done everything right, but it seems that the Dublin media take a preference for vilifying him over say Johnny Ronan, Richard Barrett, Sean Dunne etc etc..

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement