Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Marian Finucane

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,879 ✭✭✭signostic

the Dublin media take a preference for vilifying him over say Johnny Ronan, Richard Barrett, Sean Dunne etc etc..

None of the others are TD`s, have long blond hair or wear pink shirts, still Mick does alot of moaning...

*there nothing wrong with long blond hair, wearing pink shirts however being a TD......

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

And now for another great champion of the working class ..... Shane Ross :mad:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭Rebelheart

This Shane Ross bubble-encouraging arsehole and his son-in-law Nick Webb. Great. Yet another incestuous Independent Newspapers collaboration up there with the Fanning and Harris families. Horrible paper, horrible culture.

No number of reincarnations will allow me to forget that it was Shane Ross who encouraged people to buy Irish Nationwide shares as recently as 2008, or his rants against Eircom until the shares were sufficiently low so that his boss, Tony O'Reilly, moved in and bought Eircom at a steal. Ross then started lauding Eircom. His current claims for personal ethical integrity are vomit-inducing.

But typical of Miss €500k for 90 days work Finucane to have this sort of person on her show.

Parasitical arseholes: there's so many of them in this tiny society.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭newcavanman

No.

He is describing how he bluffed a debtor into thinking that he had.
    What he did was , tell someone he had arranged a hitman. The person who was told didnt know he was bluffing . Maybe the VAT man should have told Mick that if he didnt pay the vat money he fiddled, that they would send a hitman after him?

And again this morning the producer has been speed dialing her list of Retired Senior Civil Servant on a massive pension ...isn't it enough that these guys & gals screwed up the country why do we have to listen to them now :mad:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭my friend

Callan57 wrote: »
    And again this morning the producer has been speed dialing her list of Retired Senior Civil Servant on a massive pension ...isn't it enough that these guys & gals screwed up the country why do we have to listen to them now :mad:

dontcha just love their arrogant tones?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

Is that Eamonn Ryan trying to wheeze his way into the conversation in the background? Pathetic idiot!:rolleyes:

RTE proving its biased self again re US Presidential election

RTE = Democratic Candidate Groupies

It's downright embarrassing (and possibly damaging for this Country) to listen to Marian Finucane & Co gush and make excuses for Obama and the shellacking he took in the first debate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

And again this morning the producer has been speed dialing her list of Retired Senior Civil Servant on a massive pension ...

You know, I was in agreement with you even before I saw this...

Senior civil servant to get €114,000 pension at 53
    THE SECRETARY general of the Department of Education and Skills will receive an annual pension of €114,000 per year when she retires shortly at the age of 53.

Brigid McManus will retire in mid-February when her seven-year term expires. In accordance with the terms under which secretaries general were appointed, she will receive a full pension of €114,839 per year. She will also receive an after-tax lump-sum payment of €204,000.

The usual media portrayal of public servants is "people who have given honorable years of service to the state".... But you'd have to say, the way she's played it, she's "served" herself pretty well at the same time. Doesnt seem like much of a deal for the State...

You know, I was in agreement with you even before I saw this...

Senior civil servant to get €114,000 pension at 53

The usual media portrayal of public servants is "people who have given honorable years of service to the state".... But you'd have to say, the way she's played it, she's "served" herself pretty well at the same time. Doesnt seem like much of a deal for the State...

Oh very much a case of the State being there to serve them ... :mad:

• Advertisement

I think you can always easily identify the female civil servants cos they all sound like Mary Hanafin....

I find it interesting that they never refer to the fact that Noel Whelan ran for FF. I would have thought that for transparency (given that he is a political commentator) that this should be mentioned...

Eamonn Ryan is well intentioned but every time I hear him talking I expect the bluebird to fly in the window and land on his shoulder. Everything he says seems to relate to a utopian parallel universe, and has nothing to do with the real world..

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭newcavanman

You would laugh it it wasnt so pathetic . marian Finucane and Eamonn Dunphy bemoaning the state of the public service and the economy in general . Since Dunphy left the last word, he has got worse and worse, constantly spouting crap . He is now talking about thatcher, when he was on the last Word he used to constantly praise her .
    The pair of them are prime examples of those in the higher echelons of the public sector, totally insulated from the realities of life , but prepared to screw the rest of the economy to protect their own little patch . they make you sick .

but prepared to screw the rest of the economy to protect their own little patch . they make you sick .

*oh why did you have to start me off* :pac:

It's very hard to listen to Finucane talking about the unfairness of wage levels of the people at the top of the public service, all of whom are on a fraction of her hourly rate.. All of these people, Dunphy, Joe Duffy, Rich Boy Barrett, union leaders like Jack O'Connor, Fergus Finlay, and many other supposed left wing media "panelists".... pontificate to us on a weekly basis about the unfairness of society, without ever addressing their own wages...

I think it's about that time anybody who mentions the phrase "unfairness in society" should have to lay their cards on the table, and make it clear how much money THEY are getting from RTE/Ireland Inc/Union fees etc etc, and let people decide for themselves whether that person is living by the solidarity that they are calling for, or whether they are taking a bit too much of the pie for themselves to have the credibility to speak on such issues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,617 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

*oh why did you have to start me off* :pac:

It's very hard to listen to Finucane talking about the unfairness of wage levels of the people at the top of the public service, all of whom are on a fraction of her hourly rate.. All of these people, Dunphy, Joe Duffy, Rich Boy Barrett, union leaders like Jack O'Connor, Fergus Finlay, and many other supposed left wing media "panelists".... pontificate to us on a weekly basis about the unfairness of society, without ever addressing their own wages...

I think it's about that time anybody who mentions the phrase "unfairness in society" should have to lay their cards on the table, and make it clear how much money THEY are getting from RTE/Ireland Inc/Union fees etc etc, and let people decide for themselves whether that person is living by the solidarity that they are calling for, or whether they are taking a bit too much of the pie for themselves to have the credibility to speak on such issues.

But it's in the public domain how much they earn?

Just because someone earns a lot of money doesn't mean they can't have an opinion on society.

Just because someone earns a lot of money doesn't mean they can't have an opinion on society.

Of course they can have an opinion it's just makes it difficult to listen to when they wax lyrical about taking money off people earning a fraction of their salary :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

In Finucanes case it's less an opinion, more a loudhailer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 535 ✭✭✭bob50

How nauseating it is to listen her pontifacte on the cost of living, i.e the cost of petrol , bread etc everything being so dear

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭donaghs

Listening to replay due to interest in Priory Hall issue. Think I just heard her read out a text about the Irish football team being "overpaid gutless pirmadonnas"! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭Paddy De Plasterer

I'm beginning to think that she is ill, lads.. There's no way that any company could give a person THAT much time off.. She broke both her ankles last year and there wasnt a word about it, so I think there may be something else wrong.

If so maybe she should move out. Her huge pay is still a disgrace.

• Advertisement

And another retired, mega pensioned, senior civil servant on the panel this morning :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭JoeGil

Salary must be gone to her head.
    Can't remember the name of the panelists.
    Pat Brennan ............. sorry about that Pat Farrell.

I can't abide that Pat Farrell

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,709 ✭✭✭Infoanon

I can't abide that Pat Farrell

Pat the FF advisor was closer to the FG line then Peter Matthews.

Did I hear Peter Matthews saying the way to get EU attention was to withhold a (bailout) payment ??

Slightly off topic but Eddie Hobbs alleged on Newstalk that RTE would not allow discussion of the need to cut the Civil Service pension.

Infoanon wrote: »
    Pat the FF advisor was closer to the FG line then Peter Matthews.

Did I hear Peter Matthews saying the way to get EU attention was to withhold a (bailout) payment ??

Slightly off topic but Eddie Hobbs alleged on Newstalk that RTE would not allow discussion of the need to cut the Civil Service pension.

I wouldn't pay much heed to anything Eddie Hobbs says :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

sniff, cough, splutter etc.

note to McDowell - you can't jump a PO counter for years now!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

this guys some fuking neck.

didnt he leak confidential gardai files to HIS mates in the media when he was minister for justice to discredit frank connoly ?

the bloke ripping bertie ahern a new arsehole at the time in relation to his tribunal woes - coincidently HIS fekcing taoiseach when he was in gov ?

goddamn hypocrite.

McDowall ... "Sinn Fein people were shouting at me & cameras flashing" Ah the poor big baby

sommats up lads.

i get the sense marion is trying to get him to bury himself as the inteview has lost all its lovey feely stuff.

certainly half of what hes come out with has been staggeringly arrogant nonsense that show him up to be a deluded egotists.

i remember very well when he got turfed out and it played out alot different to what he said, when marion pressed him on why no one in his party knew he'd left till after the event all he could do was quote his partys constitution.

:D

the bloke is smarting BIG time at his fall from favor.

For the Love of God ... is this guy for real?

this is unbelievalbe tripe !

ah i knew there was something up. the ****er wants to come back.

heres hoping the people show the same sense they did last time and not only tell him where to go but ****ing sing it at him as he his arse leaves the stage.

• Advertisement

And he forgot to say ... keep paying him megabucks. The ego of these legal types is monumental

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

and radio off!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

Who the hell is saying that McDowell is the greatest thing since sliced bread?? I wonder if his wife has been busy with the texts this morning? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭Technocentral

The Quinn lackeys are really out in force this morning, amazing that this greedy criminal c*nt is apparently a hero to these people.

Interesting point about the pressure people in Ballyconnell are being put under to support Sean Quinn ... I'm quite certain subtle (and probably not so subtle) pressure is being exerted on people who have to live and work in the area. :mad:

Its the banks fault that the likes of Quinn are so greedy apparently, sick of this shiite.

It is pretty contemptous that the young fellow Peter Darragh does a flit & leaves an elderly grandfather to take the rap .... not a whole lot of character showing there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭GSF

It is pretty contemptous that the young fellow Peter Darragh does a flit & leaves an elderly grandfather to take the rap .... not a whole lot of character showing there.

Remember that quote, from Brian D'Arcy I think that "prison wouldnt suit him."

GSF wrote: »
    Remember that quote, from Brian D'Arcy I think that "prison wouldnt suit him."

Yea I guess Prison doesn't suit cowards

the usual incest fest on FFravda Radio for US Democrats today

Larry Donnelly

http://www.kennedysummerschool.ie/speakers/larry-donnelly/

was on shilling for Obama, turns out he is married to Aine Whelan 'of the news room'

further explains the bias of the supposed News room!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 734 ✭✭✭Sligo Quay

Who the hell is saying that McDowell is the greatest thing since sliced bread?? I wonder if his wife has been busy with the texts this morning? :rolleyes:
    I didn't hear the interview yesterday, but did Marion Finucane remind McDowell as Minister for Justice that it was he who gave the go ahead to spend nearly 30million euro of taxpayers money to purchase a farm (Thornton Hall) in the Ward Co Dublin in the height of the boom, to replace Mountjoy, flog Mountjoy to Fianna Fáil's building cronies, McDowell is as guilty for the mess, he was part of Bertie's gang of corrupt politicans, he might try to distance himself now, but he will always be associated with the Bertie's corrupt government. Rewriting history maybe easy from long ago, but not of the very resent past, in living memory, when all of us are witnesses to these events, McDowell lives on his big fat pension while the rest of us suffer from his criminal deeds in government.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭Oracle

I've stopped listening to Marion's show. I got tired of highly paid journalists, economists and celebrity millionaires, telling me I'm being paid too much .... :rolleyes:

Sligo Quay wrote: »
    Rewriting history maybe easy from long ago, but not of the very resent past, in living memory, when all of us are witnesses to these events, McDowell lives on his big fat pension while the rest of us suffer from his criminal deeds in government.

I'm no defender of McDowell, and his arrogance yesterday reminded me of Flynn on the LLS many years ago... But to add a bit of balance, Marian read out a text afterwards saying the same thing about the pensions but she stated that he does NOT take a pension from the State... The Thornton Hall thing was certainly a mess, but he said that they had had another site that the buyer pulled out of at the eleventh hour... Why dont they use that site for the new hospital ?

I find it incredibly subjective that Nora Owen should proclaim "how do you feel about having to pay a levy for Sean Quinn for the next X number of years".... What about the effective levy that the country is paying for the mistakes of her own "profession".. Because of political mistakes, we are subsidizing payments to banks, subsidizing salaries public servants we no longer need (particularly in council planning offices) and would have been let go if they were in private industry, subsidizing public service pensions that are better than those given in any of the countries that are lending us money... The Quinn levy pales into insignificance when compared to these..

Sean Quinn is in jail right now for his mistakes.... Brian Cowen is attending classes in Harvard and getting 150k a year, Mary O'Rourke is touring with her book, Bertie Ahern is giving lectures on economics etc etc..

After reading back through the thread for the last couple of shows, I think we should all chip in for a strong whiskey for Callan.. He's had a stressful couple of days.. :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭Rebelheart

Regarding that McDowell "interview" where McDowell, according to The Irish Times, warns on the dangers of oligarchic media ownership by O'Brien, did Finucane once challenge McDowell by informing her listeners that McDowell is in the pay of the O'Reilly family? Even once?

Kenny, at least, did precisely that in April 2012 when McDowell tried pushing the same hypocritical, vomit-inducing argument (link here).

McDowell warning on media ownership (3.11.2012)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,709 ✭✭✭Infoanon

Well after yesterday I thought it could only get better......alas.....

Firstly Joe the builder declares that we ALL have sympathy for Sean Quinn and before anyone can disagree Marian has Sean Quinns family priest on ! who then when asked if Sean Quinn was in a single cell replies thats a matter for the prison service....

Thankfully Alan Barrett,Geraldine Kennedy and Nora Owen where not going along with this nonsense and Alan Barrett in particular highlighted that of the other 30+ who went into Jail on Friday their priests were not on RTE.

After Joes Poll showed 64% were in favour of Sean Quinn being Jailed you'd think Marzie might back off the pro Quinn agenda.....

After 45 minutes the discussion moved on from the Quinns - open to correction but was next weeks referendum discussed at all ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭Oracle

.... After 45 minutes the discussion moved on from the Quinns - open to correction but was next weeks referendum discussed at all ??

The referendum was discussed on the 1 O’Clock News, consisted of argie bargie between Alan Shatter and John Waters. I assume that's why they held off discussing it on the Marion Show.

Not one person I know has mentioned that referendum, biggest non story ever that people are being asked to vote on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

... Firstly Joe the builder declares that we ALL have sympathy for Sean Quinn ...
    In fairness, you might have reported that Joe Moran went on to say that what Quinn did was wrong and that it was right that he be jailed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement