Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Marian Finucane

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

In fairness, you might have reported that Joe Moran went on to say that what Quinn did was wrong and that it was right that he be jailed.

It wouldn't be in the interest of someone with an agenda to provide balanced reporting. See the Tubridy thread for further examples of this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 734 ✭✭✭Sligo Quay

The Thornton Hall thing was certainly a mess, but he said that they had had another site that the buyer pulled out of at the eleventh hour... Why dont they use that site for the new hospital ?
    It still doesn't justify the appalling waste of taxpayers money on this project, now I have to state, this is UNCONFIRMED REPORT, but the owner of Thornton Hall, is there any truth in the rumours of McDowell being related to these people, I don't know.
    McDowell is so intent in trying to redeem himself of blame in the Bertie corrupt government, he even trying to resurrect that old chestnut ''Gerry Adams was in the IRA'' Now Im not a member or supporter of Sinn Féin, but really who gives a dam, this is old news, the dogs in the street know Adams was in the IRA, but at this stage, who bloody cares, nobody except McDowell, its old hat, old news, the world has moved on, but its a great diversion at this time, gets people talking about stuff, thats really just old junk, the banks, the economy, jobs, or lack of jobs, due to McDowell corrupt government with Bertie and his pal Harney, thats what people are talking about, not if Adams was or is in the IRA, My Great Great Grand Dad was in the IRB, who gives a dam, exactly, nobody.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,709 ✭✭✭Infoanon

In fairness, you might have reported that Joe Moran went on to say that what Quinn did was wrong and that it was right that he be jailed.

In fairness I could have added that Joe the builder went on to condone Sean Quinns efforts to put his assets beyond the reach of Anglo/IBRC.

Sure BOS were listening with interest.

Key point is the stated assumption that we ALL have sympathy for Sean Quinn which Marzie let go unchallenged

Aidric wrote: »
    It wouldn't be in the interest of someone with an agenda to provide balanced reporting. See the Tubridy thread for further examples of this.

??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Infoanon wrote: »
    In fairness I could have added that Joe the builder went on to condone Sean Quinns efforts to put his assets beyond the reach of Anglo/IBRC....
    No, he did not.

Why are you making this stuff up?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Ask him about his pension Marion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭Dirigent

Pat Wallace appears to have been so long in power he's lost the distinction between a Public Servant and a Feudal Lord.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Yes show the Troika around the last of the family silverware:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

I'm thinking of starting a campaign to get Pat Wallace canonised. Listening to him this morning, you'd swear he's been doing the job for nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

That's two pretty soft soap interviews in a row from Marion... I would is she afraid of drawing some heat back on herself by picking on other sacred cows of the Irish State..

• Advertisement

Marian giving Alan Shatter a hard time - possibly the most arrogant minister of all time

• Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭telekon

Marian giving Alan Shatter a hard time - possibly the most arrogant minister of all time

*cough* Dick Roche *cough*
    *cough* P Flynn *cough*
    *cough* Martin Cullen *cough*
    *cough* actually any FF/PD minister from 1987 to 2011 *cough*

I should really get something for this cough... *cough*

telekon wrote: »
    *cough* Dick Roche *cough*
    I should really get something for this cough... *cough*

Dick Roche takes a fair bit of beating alright..

I think it's a bit ridiculous that the Government are getting the blame for the lack of objectivity in the referendum material.. The public servants who put together the website / documentation made the mistakes .... There is no mention at all of accountability for these people..It's their job to ensure that the material is objective and in this duty they failed..

Secondly the judicial system, who are again very well paid public servants, initially threw out Mark McCrystal's challenge. Then a couple of weeks later the Supreme Court overturns the High Court's decision about the same case? But judges are held on pedestals in this country, particularly by RTE, and nobody is allowed to hold them accountable for their decisions..

And now people have voted to give more powers to more unaccountable public servants.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

Catherine McGuinness is the most sensible, intelligent & logical person in this country ... terrible pity we haven't more judges like her

I think it's a bit ridiculous that the Government are getting the blame for the lack of objectivity in the referendum material.. The public servants who put together the website / documentation made the mistakes ....

Ministers were earlier pointing the finger at Frances Fitzgerald for the content and her very hands on approach to the content. Others were laying the blame at the door of the attorney general.

The government should get the blame considering that they took the decision to cut the funding of the independent referendum comittee and instead use the money to fund its own literature and website.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭Rebelheart

Dirigent wrote: »
    Pat Wallace appears to have been so long in power he's lost the distinction between a Public Servant and a Feudal Lord.

Hehe. That could be used to describe a lot of them. Although I liked that documentary series he did years ago called Oidhreacht on TG4. Very informative.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭countrynosebag

I think that people 'get' whatever salary, and as to whether they 'earn' that wage is another matter.
    no-one, in my opinion, should get more than 100k and, as to the argument that all these good people would go - let them. I can assure you there are plenty of people about waiting for paid work and would be more than satisfied with that take-home figure.
    The money just 'thrown at' all these people cannot be justified, and stop underpaying those who really do not earn even a living with the various employments around.
    We all seem to keep paying out for inflated figures as suggested above and i am quite sure there are many personable unemployed with an interest in the media that could fit into these roles very well. i do know the type of skill-range employed, did media studies myself and some interview work - i was offered a job in radio and wonder now should i have taken it?

Congratulations on making it into work this morning, Marian. €10,000 per show, is that the going rate? (c. €500,000 per annum/?)

Now, let's count the number of commentators on the show who've never been on it before.

One?

What an incredible story there from Fr Oliver Brennan. He really should sue that woman who made that allegation of child abuse against him. I can't think of a worse allegation against a man. "Fearing" she would be sent to prison would be my hope.

Call to cardinal to apologise to priest over false abuse allegation

• Advertisement

I'm very disappointed that he is not suing her. People who make false allegations of abuse or rape should be prosecuted in public, named and humiliated. There is no place for one person to destroy another's reputation and livelihood.

These sort of allegations against innocent people will continue unless people like Fr Brennan show that they cannot get away with it. There was a similar case in Ballyfermot a few years ago. Thankfully, the innocent priest there sued and we know the name of his blackmailer, who was imprisoned (but not for long enough).

Why is that ceolán Donald Clarke - who wrote yet another tabloidesque article in The Irish Times today - repeatedly banging on the table when he's making his points?

Alison O'Connor is succinct, intelligent and a superb contributor.

Laughable to hear Casey bemoaning the fact that this issue is emotive.... from a crowd who shoved pictures of fetuses in shoppers faces on O'Connell St.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,367 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Can whoever is ****ing breathing into the microphone please stop.

Callan57 wrote: »
    Alison O'Connor is succinct, intelligent and a superb contributor.

Laughable to hear Casey bemoaning the fact that this issue is emotive.... from a crowd who shoved pictures of fetuses in shoppers faces on O'Connell St.

Agree and I would add Ivana Bacik was equally succinct in her replies.

I am right in thinking that Michael Soden did not participate in the discussion ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭my friend

Marion the bint just went from gossiping about Jill Kelley (CIA Petraeus et al) so much so that she kept the next contributor holding while Marion day dreamingly referred to who might play the various characters in a movie...

the contributor she kept on hold was calling in from under fire Gaza, I kid you not.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭my friend

Marion had to stutteringly wrap today's show by telling us that's all she has time for tonight

Yep, she said tonight

my friend wrote: »
    Marion had to stutteringly wrap today's show by telling us that's all she has time for tonight

Yep, she said tonight

Yea I heard that too ... gave me a right turn it did :confused:

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Can whoever is ****ing breathing into the microphone please stop.

Prof Casey muttering for f sake under his breath when Alison said she was disgusted ?

• Advertisement

the contributor she kept on hold was calling in from under fire Gaza, I kid you not.

Then she was humming and hawing about whether to say good morning or good afternoon to him.
    Not one of Marian's better days....

Prof Casey muttering for f sake under his breath when Alison said she was disgusted ?

OMG I thought I heard that but couldn't believe it possible such an upstanding academic could be so verbally challenged :rolleyes:

I thought he said that this morning, but thought I must have misheard.. Listened back to it on the podcast and he definitely said it..

To be honest, I agree with Prof Casey.. A lot of people seem to be hijacking this tragedy for their own agenda, and it's embarrassing to see a lot of the usual suspects wrestling each other for the moral high ground.. I found Bacik and Alison O'Conner to be slightly condescending to Prof Casey.. There is a sort of implied "well you're a man, what would you know" in their responses. Casey is right in that we cannot assume to know what happened. We have to wait for the reports to find out what happened, and then see what action is necessary to prevent such a thing from happening in the future.

And why is Bacik on the radio giving out about the lack of legislation.. She is a member of one of the Government parties and she supposedly has expertise in that area.. If she has a legislative solution to the problem, why doesnt she get it down on paper and bring it to Eamonn Gilmore? It's not good enough to just "well Enda/FG arent buying it"..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

yup.

the minute i heard about this story i knew ivana bacik would be rolled out and the emotive tripe she came out with here when she knows fup all in fact did my head in.

and as for alison o connor, well jesus she and her mates are making a nice earner in their professions on the back of this tragedy. theres something incredibly tawdry about that.

dont get me wrong theres plenty yer man said that needs challenging too but there is most definetly a band wagaon being jumped on now by the ususal suspects.

we dont even know the full facts of whats happend here but its full on hysteria in the media now.

Hopefully Ivana Bacik's political career will come to an end very soon, that's as long as Enda carries out his promise to give us a referendum to abolish the crony Seanad. She'll never win a Dail seat in a million years. The best she can hope for is a seat on a county council, and even then she'd be struggling to get elected.

Who was that clown with Conor Pope who was talking about prices on the "high street" in Ireland?

• Advertisement

Hopefully Ivana Bacik's political career will come to an end very soon, that's as long as Enda carries out his promise to give us a referendum to abolish the crony Seanad. She'll never win a Dail seat in a million years. The best she can hope for is a seat on a county council, and even then she'd be struggling to get elected.

Given that Kenny did his own "Bertie Ahern" by appointing Marie-Louise O'Donnell to Seanad Éireann as a political reward, it's highly unlike Kenny will abolish the Seanad without having an alternative place to reward political parasites like Marie-Louise O'Donnell, who prior to being given this €100,000 + from the Irish taxpayer was Kenny's biggest cheerleader on Pat Kenny's radio show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭GSF

Rebelheart wrote: »
    Who was that clown with Conor Pope who was talking about prices on the "high street" in Ireland?

It should of course be out of town half empty shopping centre in a NAMA owned development. Not quite as catchy though.

Rebelheart wrote: »
    Given that Kenny did his own "Bertie Ahern" by appointing Marie-Louise O'Donnell to Seanad Éireann as a political reward, it's highly unlike Kenny will abolish the Seanad without having an alternative place to reward political parasites like Marie-Louise O'Donnell, who prior to being given this €100,000 + from the Irish taxpayer was Kenny's biggest cheerleader on Pat Kenny's radio show.

Is that the "independent" senator, Marie Louise O'Donnell? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

I really wish she'd stop making that disgusting noise with her mouth when she speaks.

It sounds like she's picking her hole.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭juan.kerr

Maybe she was worried that he might blow himself up while on air?

• Advertisement

The generously pensioned former civil servants are out again this morning .... retired Revenue PO today - over the last few months we've had retired seriour civil servants from Education, Social Welfare, Health & of course, the usual plethora of retired senior Gardaí and retired Army Officers.
    These were Senior Civil Servants, in positions of tremendous influence, when we as a country went over the cliff & not one of them opened their mouths .... why are we listening to them now pontificating from their well-heeled & safe pension pedestals?

Marians view is that the property tax was well signalled and thus ok !

Dreadful stuff this morning - and Breda O' Brien 'freelance journalist' - is that the same Breda O'Brien who writes for the Irish Times and has extreme pro life views ? was Marians show not congratulated last week for having a debate without the extremists ?

Though still not as bad as Stephen 'I want to pay more taxes' Collins on Claire Byrne yesterday.........

Marians view is that the property tax was well signalled and thus ok !

Dreadful stuff this morning - and Breda O' Brien 'freelance journalist' - is that the same Breda O'Brien who writes for the Irish Times and has extreme pro life views ? was Marians show not congratulated last week for having a debate without the extremists ?

Though still not as bad as Stephen 'I want to pay more taxes' Collins on Claire Byrne yesterday.........

No, it's Bríd O'Brien of the National Organisation of the Unemployed.

Callan57 wrote: »
    No, it's Bríd O'Brien of the National Organisation of the Unemployed.

Thanks - Marian keeps calling her Breda ! Found her a bit quiet during the budget discussion,

All seems a very cost chat today - imagine them all around the fireplace at Marianville!

To think in that the lead story in the SBP - Red C Poll - with FGs fall/Abortion legislation,O''Briens dispute with revenue etc can be ignored similar to last weeks disappearance of the Sindos headline about RTE/Frontline........

The first quarter of Made Marion's show is entirel devoted to waffle about the Royal nobodys, their baby and the tragedy of the nurse's death.

Given that Lyric features that other obnoxious prat Hamilton, it looks like the old MP3s will get a spin this morning.

The first quarter of Made Marion's show is entirel devoted to waffle about the Royal nobodys, their baby and the tragedy of the nurse's death.

Given that Lyric features that other obnoxious prat Hamilton, it looks like the old MP3s will get a spin this morning.

It hasn't got much better. Glen Hansard is next up.

Jaysus Harry, if I have to hear singing that fkn song again... Awful drivel..

Is that who it is? I flicked over, got a bit of the "Jaysus, me and me ma were on the lash" and flicked back very quickly.

Is that who it is? I flicked over, got a bit of the "Jaysus, me and me ma were on the lash" and flicked back very quickly.

If I got 20 cents for every time I've heard him tell his story about going busking for the first time, I'd have at least a euro by now.

Marian had some shopping guru on who mentioned buying goods from xxxxxx.ie,

Marians response ' so you get that on your laptop' - I kid you not !

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement